What's the deal with moving everything to Discord?

Every single day I've noticed an annoying trend: everyone is moving to Discord.

Why are they doing that? For money or something?

I think it's annoying because it's mostly "Want help? Join our server". 

How about no? I don't want to subscribe to YET ANOTHER place just to get tons of announcements I don't care about, but surely being totally impossible to search if someone before me already solved the same issue I had.

Well... I had to take that out of my chest :P, but my question still stands: what do server creators see advantageous in using Discord instead of the platforms they are already using?

I've never seen someone spamming their server in platforms that are admittely worse than Discord.

Because people need the "feel for power" that a new "server" can give.

Look! I have a server! I post the best mods and give you help. When I am available. And I wish to do it. And do not bother me with questions...

At the end real help can be done only by a community and most of it cannot be real time.

Sure, a Discord (or any other chat and screen sharing systems) can help in a few cases. Doing a new modding server with it? Not gonna happen.

Mostly because on a server you can read what you want, you have a lot of places, you search, you read, you post.

On a chat based system is all "real time" quite impossible to store real information and knowledge there.

Again, I am not against it. But it is for sure abused.

15 minutes ago, CPU said:

Because people need the "feel for power" that a new "server" can give.

Look! I have a server! I post the best mods and give you help. When I am available. And I wish to do it. And do not bother me with questions...

This may be the real answer.

At my age, I don't know why I often forget how vain people can be xD

32 minutes ago, Papitas said:

Every single day I've noticed an annoying trend: everyone is moving to Discord.

Why are they doing that? For money or something?

I think it's annoying because it's mostly "Want help? Join our server". 

How about no? I don't want to subscribe to YET ANOTHER place just to get tons of announcements I don't care about, but surely being totally impossible to search if someone before me already solved the same issue I had.

Well... I had to take that out of my chest :P, but my question still stands: what do server creators see advantageous in using Discord instead of the platforms they are already using?

I've never seen someone spamming their server in platforms that are admittely worse than Discord.

Skyrim modders are children, they like taking their toys and going home. They also like one sided attention for which they can bask in the glory of. Not terribly fond of criticism either.

You'll find modders that don't need adulation or able to take objective critique use Discord as an iteration service and for protoype testing.

Edited by 27X
19 minutes ago, 27X said:

Skyrim modders are children, they like taking their toys and going home. They also like one sided attention for which they can bask in the glory of. Not terribly fond of criticism either.

You'll find modders that don't need adulation or able to take objective critique use Discord as an iteration service and for protoype testing.

I love how you just knew I was thinking about Skyrim when writing this xD

I blame antisocial media for that attitude. Most people nowadays is used to only be kissed in the ass and they just don't tolerate different ideas.

Antisocial networks make quite easy to shut up someone saying things you don't like.

I suppose they want to take that attitude to somewhere else they can shut up people they don't lke ASAP; some place like Discord.

Well, I now have a better idea on why so many people want to move comments on their work to somewhere they have absolute control.

1 hour ago, Kendo 2 said:

'They're not your mods, they're MY MODS.'

'The rules are what I SAY THEY ARE.'

It's no wonder modders are moving to Discord to be captain of their own ship.

I don't think that's the issue here, because they still upload their mods to All Your Mod Are Belong To Usâ„¢.

What I found illogical (and the reason I opened this) is that once being in there they closed the comments section and redirect you to their chat instead.

Bethesda also pulled that when they closed their forums.

I just don't understand what the hell they were thinking.

Honestly. I can give two birdies. I got sick and tired of hunting mods from blogs and too many websites. Too much of a hassle for me. Nexus only made it much worse, which means I have even less to give a crap about. Never used discord and never will.

1 hour ago, Papitas said:

I don't think that's the issue here, because they still upload their mods to All Your Mod Are Belong To Usâ„¢.

What I found illogical (and the reason I opened this) is that once being in there they closed the comments section and redirect you to their chat instead.

That's two-fold; Nerxus dominates traffic which means exposure for the modder, which in turn gives them the external validation they crave.

1 hour ago, Papitas said:

Bethesda also pulled that when they closed their forums.

I just don't understand what the hell they were thinking.

There is very little long-term thinking involved.  The ones behind 'I own your mods' and 'because I said so' moderating THINK they're winning...and without options they would be...but there are options and people are using them.  'NO, you DO NOT own my mods just because I have them on your site and screw you and the rule you just made up on the spot.'  People will only tolerate so much before they snap and pull their mods so they can do their own thing.

EDIT: I was roped in to using Discord one time and it was a bunch of goddamned pedophiles swapping sex mod screenshots of little kids.  They wanted ME to convert outfits I had made for grown women to work with little girls.  That was enough for me to wash my hands of Discord permanently.

Edited by Kendo 2
7 hours ago, Papitas said:

I blame antisocial media for that attitude. Most people nowadays is used to only be kissed in the ass and they just don't tolerate different ideas.

Antisocial networks make quite easy to shut up someone saying things you don't like.

I 100% concur.  But I'm surprised you haven't unearthed the same thing about this site as long as you've been here and making straightforward assertations in the off-topics like that.

You'll find discrepancies in opinion — specifically, the candid and blunt one that calls it like it is and doesn't play to mollify the big hearts who are content in La-La Land — are often redacted, kind of like communism.

1 hour ago, stingray1995 said:

You'll find discrepancies in opinion — specifically, the candid and blunt one that calls it like it is and doesn't play to mollify the big hearts who are content in La-La Land — are often redacted, kind of like communism.

Leaving aside the hyperbole, it would be authoritarianism rather than communism.

37 minutes ago, vagonumero13 said:

This is not happening only in modding, but in general. I can't really understand why forums are being replaced by chat servers, they serve different purposes. Like replacing a car with a ship.

Agreed.

Using a chat to sole interactively a problem is not bad. I am in a few Unity forums (because I develop and teach with this tool), and I can see that there is some sort of critical mass before the server become useless.

Small servers (some times, not always) have a better support, you post your problem and maybe you get an answer. On big server your question get lost after a minute.

So, in my opinion, they are not the same, they do not serve the same purpose.

Do you really need a server for a specific mod? Probably not. Unless you have a very crucial mod. There are servers for GTAIV modding tool, or for AAF. These are OK. But a server just for a few of CAS Sims that were created? For real?

Or servers created from Patreon. Give me money and you get parks on my Discord server (it is an actual thing between the two companies) but then the server is about dead.

Discord is free, you can create a server without paying a dime. So people use and abuse it.

I believe it's at least partially because of what social networks did to human minds - they have shortened the attention span of an average human being quite drastically.

People lose their ability to search and research - this forum is not an example, for what I know it could be populated by cranky old farts like me. But Reddit is a shining example of that - those subs that actually have some purpose to them (except whining) tend to have a lot of questions that are literally answered at the next page. Or imagine actually going ahead and trying to find something useful on Twitter... That's why you don't. People just go ahead and speak out. This is why Twitter is just a huge collective brain fart going non-stop, but this is what people got used to. So they bring this experience everywhere else.

I think Discord is a great way to get into real time personal contact with mod owners. I release my mods here with BOOKS filled with documentation that only 8% of all downloaders read. Then they ask for private real time support about all the things already documented there.. expecting it while knowing that's NOT a thing with paid for AAA or Indy titles, and many modders even oblige them in that service beyond service of real-time support for a free product, in 90% of the cases responding to support requests already covered heavily in both the threads here and the documentation.

The fact that currently a lot of mods are now 'restricted' to Discord has nothing to do with Discord as a platform and has everything to do with the TOS changes that Nexus implemented last month many mod authors could not consciously agree with. An alternative public website will go live soon that will rehost many of the mods that were removed, centralized and all, after which all your one button, skip the manual, then ask questions later service will be restored.

32 minutes ago, Reginald_001 said:

It is also a way to break the rules.

"You cannot post pirated contents here" (=> let's open a Discord channel to share pirated mods)

A bunch of pirated Discords open when we did a big stop on sharing pirated mods for Resident Evil

18 minutes ago, CPU said:

It is also a way to break the rules.

"You cannot post pirated contents here" (=> let's open a Discord channel to share pirated mods)

A bunch of pirated Discords open when we did a big stop on sharing pirated mods for Resident Evil

Yes (agreed) many things have been both used and abused. Discord is quite heavily moderated though, as witnessed by the removal of the PV server and the subsequent banning of all its moderators (not due to piracy, b.t.w.).

Every platform knows abuse, even this one. Of course people will get away with it, they always will.

Personally I like player choice. Do everything, then there's something for everyone. I see most modders do the same, release on a forum or platform, then as an addition have the real time alternative in the form of Discord. Having to go server by server to download mods is a pain, but the advantage is personal service.

You can kill a person with a knife and many persons are killed by knives, yet they aren't forbidden because without knives cutting would be so much harder. We'd still be able to cut things, it'd just be harder.

Edited by Reginald_001
10 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

it would be authoritarianism rather than communism.

That's what a communist party member would say, but the virtuous judges and clerics here are the moderators, really, so this is also true -- Stalin was also a 'mediator' in a communist regime. But it's okay -- none of the moderators on LoversLab adhere to any preference because they are above being human. What I'm saying is: authoritarianism and communism are synonymous.

Fewer and fewer people use forum, especially young people. Not sure why.

But for creators, there is a very simple reason to create a discord server for their game(s) / mod(s):

You only need to update the links to the new version once, you can ping everyone that a new version is up, get all bug reports, questions and suggestions in one place.

So there is simply no need anymore to keep the threads in 10 different forums updated, simply post a link to your discord server once.

29 minutes ago, stingray1995 said:

That's what a communist party member would say, but the virtuous judges and clerics here are the moderators, really, so this is also true -- Stalin was also a 'mediator' in a communist regime. But it's okay -- none of the moderators on LoversLab adhere to any preference because they are above being human. What I'm saying is: authoritarianism and communism are synonymous.

Aside from the forums rules stating that LL is NOT a place for discussions about politics, your post (hopefully unintentional) sounds to me like you would want to make fun of the moderators.

14 hours ago, stingray1995 said:

I 100% concur.  But I'm surprised you haven't unearthed the same thing about this site as long as you've been here and making straightforward assertations in the off-topics like that.

I think I already found that xD

Not too long ago I asked a mod author sharing an invisible helmets mod if he used some specific method that everyone is using and that lets you equip many helmets at the same time. 

I think he didn't like the way I asked it or something, because some hours later I found myself kicked out from that thread xD

Back to the topic:

I won't quote everyone in here, but I do appreciate your insights and thoughts. 

It lets me get a better picture. 

Like many of you, I'm not fan of Discord fragmenting everything and making mods harder to track, but I understand why some people would do that. 

I know about Korean dudes using it for sharing their mods and I understand they do that because they don't like existing platforms and are not willing to pay for hosting. 

That's understandable. 

I imagined many would wanted to share illegal things that shouldn't be found on mainstream sites. 

That's also understandable. 

But using those mainstream sites to share your content and then tell people there that if they want help they ought to join your chat or go fuck themselves was something I couldn't understand. 

But yeah... I suppose it's a generational thing combined with fragile egos, short attention spans and unwillingness to investigate things or something. 

I see many of us are relatively old and are used to use forums and see the value of having an archive with searchable knowledge and a chat for quick troubleshooting; but if you want everything right now and are unable/unwilling to do an investigation, using only chats may be enough for you. 

By the way, I think those people ego-modding out there are wrong in their assumptions that bigger sites will give them more exposure. 

It will totally happen if you hit big and people rapidly download your mod in droves, but since there are way too many people sharing their mods as well, you actually have a higher chance of getting drowned in all the noise than being recognized. 

If you want to be visible all the time, better be a large fish in a small pond :P