What's the deal with moving everything to Discord?

Discord is spyware, and people love to be watched. They like the idea of having a big brother over their shoulders. 

Every time I need to use Discord, I install it, check the channels, then close and uninstall. 

It is very invasive. It can read every process you are running. And even if you choose not to show it, it is still reading it. 

There are rumours it can read financial data as well. If you run blockchains, do not use Discord and the blockchain at the same time. 

5 hours ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

Discord is spyware, and people love to be watched. They like the idea of having a big brother over their shoulders. 

Every time I need to use Discord, I install it, check the channels, then close and uninstall. 

It is very invasive. It can read every process you are running. And even if you choose not to show it, it is still reading it. 

There are rumours it can read financial data as well. If you run blockchains, do not use Discord and the blockchain at the same time. 

So does most launchers (Steam, Uplay, Xbox app, Epic and so on) and certainly almost all Anti-Cheat software.
If you are concerned, use it in a browser, use BD, or don't use it at all.
But I fail to see how that relates to the topic at hand.

To me, the move to Discord seems to be for a few reasons.
The most logical one in my mind is that since everyone and their pets are on Discord anyways, we might as well be on Discord too.
It must also be quite cathartic to see that user ticker go up in real time and think "I have a Discord server with 1k+ users, look at me". I could see myself falling into that trap if I provided anything of value.

It's the age old debate of "Mailing lists used to be fine, why are you all on IRC now?"  "IRC used to be fine, why are you all on Forums now?"  "Forums used to be fine, why are you all on Discord now?"

To me, they all serve different purposes. Discord is great for building a small community and stay in touch, it's good for guilds, raiding, hanging out, watching movies together.
Forums are asynchronous, and easier to stay up to date on as replies are usually weighed more. You don't get many "+1"s posts or ones containing a single emoji.

I don't hate anyone for moving to Discord if they wanna get away from another platform (Nexus), but it does make me reconsider if I value their work enough to move with them, especially with the 500+ mod skyrim installs and the 100 server limit on Discord.

58 minutes ago, Amytheone said:

I don't hate anyone for moving to Discord if they wanna get away from another platform (Nexus), but it does make me reconsider if I value their work enough to move with them, especially with the 500+ mod skyrim installs and the 100 server limit on Discord.

I use Discord for planning raids, coordinate gaming sessions and chat with my friends while playing.

I think that was designed for and not as a substitute for forums.

I also understand people making small communities around their work, so they get quick feedback. 

But you hit the nail with this comment. 

If some mod creator tells me I should subscribe to his server, else I will be invisible to him, I ponder if his work is sooo essential for me that I totally should do that. 

Turns out, it never is. 

Fortunately, I'm a small minority xD

If more people were as harsh as me (don't do that, kids :P), they would've stopped doing that a long time ago. 

23 minutes ago, Papitas said:

I use Discord for planning raids, coordinate gaming sessions and chat with my friends while playing.

I think that was designed for and not as a substitute for forums.

I also understand people making small communities around their work, so they get quick feedback. 

If some mod creator tells me I should subscribe to his server, else I will be invisible to him, I ponder if his work is sooo essential for me that I totally should do that. 

Turns out, it never is. 

Fortunately, I'm a small minority xD

If more people were as harsh as me (don't do that, kids :P), they would've stopped doing that a long time ago. 

Yeah Discord is really helpful as a VOIP program (even though people STILL use Teamspeak despite looking like it's still 2006. You do you I guess.) I also use discord as a way to just keep up with the community surrounding certain mods. Not everyone who mods and has a discord does it for the power grab, some people genuinely are just friendly and want a nice centralized place to put mods without having to put links in 16 different places every time there's an update. SimonMagus' discord is a very lovely place.

1 hour ago, Amytheone said:

The most logical one in my mind is that since everyone and their pets are on Discord anyways, we might as well be on Discord too.
It must also be quite cathartic to see that user ticker go up in real time and think "I have a Discord server with 1k+ users, look at me". I could see myself falling into that trap if I provided anything of value. 

There are people out there who would love to have cameras inside their houses, transmitting their life to the television, even their intimacy, and they would not even ask money for it. The same logic applies to vanity modding: the user mod a game not because he wants to improve it, but because he wants attention he would not have otherwise. Hence why many people are forcing Discord use, because of the numbers they can show off to other mod authors. The modding scene, right now, is a competition of egos towards who receives more "exposure". 

Edited by Wolfstorm321
40 minutes ago, Papitas said:

[...]

I appreciate the kind words.

The problem to me arises, not by being harsh, but by imagining a world where all mods were exclusively on Discord.
You are limited to be in 100 servers on Discord. With how heavily modded certain games are, they could easily eat up all those 100 slots, unless there's a lot of creator overlap.
And that's not even counting if you (god forbid) have multiple games you've modded or are interested in modding.

It's just not sustainable or viable in the long run to have Discord as the sole source of mods.

14 minutes ago, blalohu said:

Yeah Discord is really helpful as a VOIP program (even though people STILL use Teamspeak despite looking like it's still 2006. You do you I guess.)

Man I used to use TS still until fairly recently. I still believe TS is the best and completely unmatched if all you're looking for is a VOIP (think replacement for Skype).
The downside is it's incredibly difficult to run a community or stay in touch with people when you only use TS.

So we had a period of time where we used TS for voip and Discord for text before we fully converted to Discord only, just for the convenience.

6 minutes ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

There are people out there who would love to have cameras inside their houses, transmitting their life to the television, even their intimacy, and they would not even ask money for it. The same logic applies to vanity modding: the user mod a game not because he wants to improve it, but because he wants attention he would not have otherwise. Hence why many people are forcing Discord use, because of the numbers they can show off to other mod authors. The modding scene, right now, is a competition of egos towards who receives more "exposure". 

Isn't that a bit presumptuous?
There's many reasons to get into modding, not just "because he wants attention he would not have otherwise".
Many people mod for their own benefit and release cause they made it anyways and might as well. Some people do it for educational purposes, or improve their craft. Some people just enjoy the challenge or like helping/improving anothers experience with a product.

I feel saying modders only do it for the popularity is wrong and only applies to a small percent of the modding scene.
Hard to know either way, but that's not the perception I have.

Edited by Amytheone
New reply
47 minutes ago, blalohu said:

Not everyone who mods and has a discord does it for the power grab, some people genuinely are just friendly and want a nice centralized place to put mods without having to put links in 16 different places every time there's an update. SimonMagus' discord is a very lovely place.

That's why I always like to ask.

My mind is full of prejudices, but asking around can give me different valid panoramas outside my own experience.

34 minutes ago, Amytheone said:

Many people mod for their own benefit and release cause they made it anyways and might as well.

I'm actually one of those :v

I've made tons of small and not so small mods/armor conversions that I'm not likely to release because I'm too lazy to write documentation/ask for permisions/dealing with uploads...

But if I think it would be a waste to have any of those mods sitting in my own computer without no one using it besides me, I go the extra mile and make it publishable.

That last step usually takes MANY moths of work; way many more than it took me to make the mod for myself; that's why I usually don't publish what I do.

Sometimes I release them because people give me great ideas I could never thought myself and I end up liking my own mod even more.

39 minutes ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

I don't know if that's a small but noisy minority (most likely, as usual) or a vast majority; but I expect that issue to get worse over the years if we keep using the internet to feed our fragile egos instead of learning awesome things we wouldn't have learned otherwise.

The answer is very simple; A discord server is super easy and quick to set up and comes with free built-in audio and video features. It takes literally seconds to have a fully functioning home for whatever your needs for no money whatsoever. 

5 hours ago, belegost said:

There is no such thing. There is ALWAYS a price.

Not always, though that's a popular thing to say. There is no price for using my mods (or most of the other mods here), for instance. I don't expect anything from anyone. I made them for fun. This site itself costs nothing unless you choose to contribute. There are plenty of things in the world that are truly free because not everyone is out to get something.

• 2 months later...

I may be the odd one out here and that's fine. While I generally dislike social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, ect..) I feel discord is the best of the bunch.  I run a 1.5k member server for the soul purpose of creating mods for Fairy Tail. We started here on the Lovers Lab forums and I felt communication here was to slow. One conversation between several people would take days depending on when people actually check the site. Where on discord communication is more or less instant. Especially if you have the mobile app. Sure that original forum topic is dead now, but now we have a small community that has created dozens of mods for a niche game. It has allowed us to do great things not possible by the limitations of this website. 

That all being said, there will always be the bad cases. Lucky for my server I'm passionate about modding and positive vibes. That's not true everywhere of course. Overall though I think the platform provides great free tools and can be helpful for modding communities as a whole.

On 9/11/2021 at 7:25 PM, CPU said:

Because people need the "feel for power" that a new "server" can give.

Look! I have a server! I post the best mods and give you help. When I am available. And I wish to do it. And do not bother me with questions...

At the end real help can be done only by a community and most of it cannot be real time.

Sure, a Discord (or any other chat and screen sharing systems) can help in a few cases. Doing a new modding server with it? Not gonna happen.

Mostly because on a server you can read what you want, you have a lot of places, you search, you read, you post.

On a chat based system is all "real time" quite impossible to store real information and knowledge there.

Again, I am not against it. But it is for sure abused.

a redpill oscar to you i only read truths

It is quite useful for organizing guild stuff in mmos. Plus I can know what is going on in my guild without actually logging in. It's not mandatory but it is very convenient. No power tripping or banning/censoring, that's just a quick way to be known as a complete and utter dipshit and making people want to leave.

BUT to be fair some people move stuff there for no good reason, especially when it comes to mods. If someone won't provide necessary info or basic support on the mod page and immediately redirects everyone to Discord then I just ignore that guy and his mod. People who do that are degenerates and belong on a cross.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:29 AM, Ikaros473 said:

I may be the odd one out here and that's fine. While I generally dislike social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, ect..) I feel discord is the best of the bunch.  I run a 1.5k member server for the soul purpose of creating mods for Fairy Tail. We started here on the Lovers Lab forums and I felt communication here was to slow. One conversation between several people would take days depending on when people actually check the site. Where on discord communication is more or less instant. Especially if you have the mobile app. Sure that original forum topic is dead now, but now we have a small community that has created dozens of mods for a niche game. It has allowed us to do great things not possible by the limitations of this website. 

That all being said, there will always be the bad cases. Lucky for my server I'm passionate about modding and positive vibes. That's not true everywhere of course. Overall though I think the platform provides great free tools and can be helpful for modding communities as a whole.

Fairy Tail? The anime? Natsu, Grey, Lucy, Erza? Is there a moddable game for it?

After writing this, I joined the Skyrim Platform server because they had no real interaction through forums. 

It's the only server I've ever joined for help, by the way. 

It's a nice place full of awesome and knowledgeable people, but the same questions arise over and over. 

Fortunately, there's a wiki of sorts so we can point people to it and even modify it, but I suppose that's why it works. 

I can't imagine it working if that static documentation we all can modify didn't exist.