Now even MORE content is vanishing from Nexus

So far it sounds like allot of mods are gonna be disappearing over time. Certainly can't blame the mod authors this time around tho, imagine putting in hours, days, weeks, months or even years of work into something you love and then have it not be yours. Yes, its annoying when the author pulls a mod for dumb reasons but this time around it feels justified.

I think the smartest thing right now would be to download any mod from Nexus that you think you are going to use either soon or sometime down the line so if that mod gets pulled then you don't have to worry, you downloaded it already. Even downloading mods from games you don't own as of yet sounds smart too just in case they disappear as well and you know your gonna get the game and may want to mod it.

1 hour ago, daddyattitud said:

Please pay attention to the mods on your computer as I have had several mods disappear from the "__folder_managed_by_vortex". And I am talking about several folders that have this file and the ones that have Vortex in the name.

Just passing on info.

This makes little sense especially the last part. What folders have 'Vortex' in the name and contain mods?

Whatever your problem is I doubt that it can be laid at the door of Nexus. If you do have randomly disappearing files and folders then I would consider imminent hard drive failure as prime suspect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Darkening Demise said:

Damn too many Skyrim mods I use are gone forever now. Can't find them anywhere. Gotta protect my data folder now if I don't want to lose those mods. Nexus knows how to fuck up more than US Congress.

Why I keep a backup of every mod in a separate place and not just go through the MM. I don't trust anything that constantly updates anymore.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:00 PM, LongDukDong said:

What the hell to do to prevent loss of these mods?  What's next?  The AdultAdventure series by ghsmithDallas? Or perhaps any current body mod as it depicts nudity?

One thing is to be a dick and just pirate-upload my mod somewhere.

It's kind of another level when you just come straight up to my face and say "Upload here, we own it." One thing that comes to mind; I have several original music tracks in my mod. You just own them now, or what? Do you know what "Grey zones" are?

Edited by Be3lzeBot

That's not a gray zone.  You may have forgotten that this forum does not condone piracy, discussions, cracks or otherwise.  Ashal made it very clear that piracy isn't a thing tolerated in various paragraphs of the Rules thread.  That and the handling of assets.

I, for one, did perform a repost without knowledge of the author's intent of removal.  It was summarily deleted by LL Staff.  So the notion of reposting is not only moot, but will be met with post deletion.

Of the games that are vanishing, there are a few I know that state that assets belong to others and are used for their game solely with permission.  And with that, neither the game nor assets can be transferred.  As I said before...

On 8/17/2021 at 11:17 AM, LongDukDong said:

One issue is that "Yes", we need to respect the rights and permissions granted by the authors.  In some cases, they DO use the resources of others, and they have conditions for use.  Hence, we need to respect their terms of use. 

And with that, there is no ambiguity.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:01 PM, ghastley said:

I’m here. What’s the problem?

I pulled all my mods off Nexus when they changed the TOS, but had my workstation die, so I haven’t been able to upload anywhere else. I may host them on my own server, but I don’t want to set up a board for feedback there. Read only is easier to secure.

host them here

On 8/16/2021 at 12:26 PM, worik said:

:classic_huh: I still don't see any mid- to long term reason behind Nexus's move. It's like smashing the bees that give you honey for free (and dusting your blossoms for free ... ) :classic_unsure:

Maybe avoiding the drama of modmakers throwing a bitchfit and removing their mods because somebody they didn't like got elected, breaking dependencies and modlists. I don't mind them asking the people who want to keep that option open to do it elsewhere. After all, they can come here, right?

Aren't you just glad the community has somehow made it so people feel compelled to hoard mods like fucking dragons instead of freely sharing them openly? At some point modders are gonna have to look at themselves for the reason mods vanish and not just blame it on a website being stupid. Also the fact that "mod piracy" is not only a term but also a thing is a sad state of affairs for modding overall. I never will understand why someone can't just make a mod and free it onto the internet for everyone to use and share as they wish. Maybe I'm just an idealist.

3 hours ago, Contessa said:

Aren't you just glad the community has somehow made it so people feel compelled to hoard mods like fucking dragons instead of freely sharing them openly? At some point modders are gonna have to look at themselves for the reason mods vanish and not just blame it on a website being stupid. Also the fact that "mod piracy" is not only a term but also a thing is a sad state of affairs for modding overall. I never will understand why someone can't just make a mod and free it onto the internet for everyone to use and share as they wish. Maybe I'm just an idealist.

I agree. 

As a modder myself, there is one and only one situation where sharing my mod without my permission would irk me: if someone is directly profiting from it while not sharing those profits with me (mod lists suddenly came to my mind, I don't know why :P).

I always share my code and whatever I know because I want others to make mods; I want them to study what I did and learn how to modding by example, just as I did.

We all gain if knowledge and mods are freely roaming around, but all this greed (from both corporations like Nexus and individuals), diva complexes and paywalls have greatly damaged the modding scene forever. 

Many people thought the Creation Club was going to be the assassin. Who would have thought the assassination would come from our own hands? 

Edited by Papitas
4 hours ago, Contessa said:

fucking dragons

https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2436-horny-creatures-of-skyrim/

https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/7900-sexlab-dragons/

1 hour ago, Papitas said:

As a modder myself, there is one and only one situation where sharing my mod without my permission would irk me: if someone is directly profiting from it while not sharing those profits with me (mod lists suddenly came to my mind, I don't know why :P).

sadly that is happening right now with all of our animation mods (and patreon is doing jack shit about it, they are only interested in banning people that lack a blue check on shitter, our intellectual rights be dammed)

Edited by MadMansGun
18 minutes ago, Kabal460 said:

"You will own nothing and be happy" Give it time. It may be rough right now, but in the end we will build a better society where all things will be owned equally. 

in other words we will all be eating stray cats, dogs & rats in the street or be dead in the street getting eaten by stray cats, dogs & rats.

Edited by MadMansGun
3 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

sadly that is happening right now with all of our animation mods (and patreon is doing jack shit about it, they are only interested in banning people that lack a blue check on shitter, our intellectual rights be dammed)

Patreon was way more damaging to modding than CC. 

What can I say? If that happened to me, I'd just stopped doing mods altogether. 

Don't feel like making someone else rich with my effort. 

59 minutes ago, Papitas said:

Patreon was way more damaging to modding than CC. 

What can I say? If that happened to me, I'd just stopped doing mods altogether. 

Don't feel like making someone else rich with my effort. 

I just looked at your mods, don't worry, no one will get rich with your mods