Deadline to buy Lifetime in Nexusmods

coming so quick on the heels of that mess with mods, looks like everyone that was pointing out their whole 'collections' mess was just a money grab is pretty well vindicated. 

And they locked the topic straight off the bat. Guess even they realize how they look. 

1 minute ago, Wolfshrike said:

coming so quick on the heels of that mess with mods, looks like everyone that was pointing out their whole 'collections' mess was just a money grab is pretty well vindicated. 

And they locked the topic straight off the bat. Guess even they realize how they look. 

Yeah, the recurring costs are quite high.

Edited by Tron91

I can't say I blame them.  I'm a lifetime member there, and I'm sure I've gotten more than my moneys worth with my frequent browsing and downloading over there.  Are there really any sites left that sell lifetime memberships, at least at the bargain prices Nexus does/did?

Just like LL, Nexus has bills to pay too, and I can't blame anyone for wanting to make a dollar and a cent.

17 minutes ago, Wolfshrike said:

Guess even they realize how they look.

How do they look? I would imagine that those who already have lifetime membership will continue to have lifetime membership. People can still choose either monthly or annual for Premium membership.

30 minutes ago, Wolfshrike said:

More like they realize everyone would just turn to flames, and insult each other... Like in the last announcement.

But I'm glad you think mod authors can do no wrong, and that them leaving the nexus isn't some other brand of "money grab".  ?

Do you realize that keeping alive a site the size of Nexus costs money?

Also LLab has bills to pay, and we are way smaller in terms of people (nobody on LLab gets money except Ashal) and numebr of servers (10 to 1 compared between Nexus and LLab.)

You want "premium"? No ads and faster download?

Give them (or us) some money.

50$/year is reasonable as service. (Not super-cheap, but reasonable.)

1 minute ago, T-lam said:

NP with that, but if a site starts scaring it's customers away is another point.

I agree on that.

But keep also in mind they are not removing "old lifetime stuff".

It is more a "from now on, your may need to pay year by year".

Again, I would probably pay 25$ / year for a service like this.

But keep also in mind other services have about the same price, if not being more expensive.

Better to share correct information. And avoid people to start panicking.

Tbh surprised they had a lifetime for $49.99 as that sounds unmanageable in the long term unless you have a continous steam of new people selecting the option and that would have to be a pretty large amount (sounds a bit like the pension problem with an aging population)

After 17 months the one time $49.99 works out cheaper to the user so maybe they under estimated the longevity of there own users or just didnt expect to be around for long enough for it to matter

5 minutes ago, CPU said:

When I bought it years ago, the "lifetime" one a was quite expensive. For sure more than the 50$ you will pay now for a year.

Guess they must have changed the price at some time as it shows $49.99 now although there is an offer on the 1 year one

image.png.6aa1ace141d805adbde46c08364b9a43.png

4 minutes ago, pinky6225 said:

Guess they must have changed the price at some time as it shows $49.99 now although there is an offer on the 1 year one

Reveal hidden contents

I do not remember the history.

Of course I can ask.

For sure if the price for a year is equivalent of the price for a lifetime.

Then buy it as long as it last.

I will consider it as a commercial mistake.

(and do not start on complot theories about edge funds, Elon Musk lodges, green passes, or reptilians, as usual.)

40 minutes ago, CPU said:

I do not remember the history.

Of course I can ask.

For sure if the price for a year is equivalent of the price for a lifetime.

Then buy it as long as it last.

I will consider it as a commercial mistake.

(and do not start on complot theories about edge funds, Elon Musk lodges, green passes, or reptilians, as usual.)

In the UK on the 23rd Dec 2014 it was £59.99

image.png.823e967f8dcd3cfa7dac2d3add2e49ea.png

19 minutes ago, CPU said:

Moderate your language, Kendo.

Do not like their commercial move? Though shit.

Do they changed something for old accounts? No.

So is that a new rule?  No foul language?

EDIT: Never mind.  I've PMed Ashal for clarification.

Edited by Kendo 2

I gave them the small amount of money to become a "supporter" (Does LL have anything equivalent, some sort of one time payment for "supporters"?)

Not sure I'll go premium though.  If I do it will likely be by paying the $50 one time lifetime payment before that offer expires in early August.   The status isn't worth $3/month to me.  Edit its ponds not dollars, so a bit more in dollars.   $68.36 right now.  Plus probably a bit more if you don't get as good of exchange rate or if your credit card charges fees for foreign transactions.  Lets say $70.

Lets see what I would get for the $70.  Add free, already have that from supporter or ad blocker (which I use anyway because I use it to alter the interface displayed to me at the site), more results from searches, uncapped download speeds and "multi-threaded downloads" (get a 2X increase in the cap from being a supporter, but this would probably allow for significantly faster downloads anyway), downloading mods with fewer clicks (this really should be basic, not even requiring supporter, let alone premium), increased PM limit (I barely use PMs).

The big one would be faster downloads but most of the time that doesn't mean much, only matters for really big downloads.   The other point would be voluntarily paying them for what the provide.  I would have been more willing to do that if they didn't get rid of the notifications page, and if generally they had a better notifications system. 

Sites like LL and Nexus needs $$ to operate

I acknowledge that by having my lifetime membership to nexus and being a patron of LL

Looking back at the 4 years since i started modding,  i even have saved a lot of money by buying a lot less games and movies since modding and restarting skyrim and fallout a thousand time takes a lot of times :P, surfing checking the mods , the forums, learning about mods, etc..

So thanks to the peeps ! Mod authors and Users of the forums for the entertainment  and the guys and gals behind the sites

I toast to all of you ! ?

So three things are happening here:

1) They're removing the lifetime membership options but those who have that subscription already get to keep it as is.

2) They're also removing the 3 and 6 month plan options but those who have either will get to use them until they expire like planned.

3) They're separating the mod site from the forum site.

The first two i don't really see much problems with, i admit i have memories of truly despising the Nexus staff but the fact that running such a ginormous site takes a rather thick stream of money is true. No money, no service and the site goes poof.

The third one i don't understand. Is it an attempt to cut costs? Will the forum site be under new management and thus have a separate expense cycle? I don't see much of a point in this and not much, if at all is said about this. Not that it makes any difference to me, i never used Nexus forums that much.

As for the price, yeah i'll say it's a little ex[pensive but it's not outlandish by any means. From a personal point of view, i like to keep my prices on SubscribeStar and Fanbox fairly low so that people don't get intimidated too much but i realize that a gigantic website can't always afford to be so charitable if it wants to survive long term, different business models for different scenarios.

I think overall it's kind of alright, don't see the big controversy really unless i'm missing some backstory with some juicy context (it's entirely possible, i haven't been following these things for a while now so who knows?).

I think this streamlining move will ultimately be a net positive as new users who are interested in memberships will be faced with a simpler, cut and dry palette to work with. I personally won't be getting a membership though, mainly because i already have a fuck ton of subscriptions everywhere and i can't take any more lol.

Ninja Edit: I do wish they actually make the UI better though, it could use a bit of work. Like the "tracked mods" feature, i don't know why they can't just add a "sort by track date" option, i mean if you're gonna increase prices at least improve the little details and polish the design a bit.

Edited by Mr. Otaku
Ninja Edit XP+
3 minutes ago, Mr. Otaku said:

The third one i don't understand.

Yeah, you do. You're doing that thing you do again.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Otaku said:

Is it an attempt to cut costs?

Not even kind of.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Otaku said:

I don't see much of a point in this and not much, if at all is said about this.

The point is removing avenues of communication which will call policy into question.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Otaku said:

Not that it makes any difference to me, i never used Nexus forums that much.

Well then when they start complete commercialization, I'm sure you'll just get in line accordingly like a good consumer.

3 minutes ago, 27X said:

Yeah, you do. You're doing that thing you do again.

What "thing"?

3 minutes ago, 27X said:

Not even kind of.

Okay.

3 minutes ago, 27X said:

The point is removing avenues of communication which will call policy into question.

So are they taking down the forum site altogether? Did they say it previously?

4 minutes ago, 27X said:

Well then when they start complete commercialization, I'm sure you'll just get in line accordingly like a good consumer.

What? Are you implying that they'll put the forum site behind a paywall?

Your response is really vague my guy, what're you trying to tell me?