Deadline to buy Lifetime in Nexusmods

If they're splitting the site into a 'forum' and a download site then it's probably a licensing issue Dork0ne wants to avoid.  Can't willy-nilly ban people from a licensed service for breaking unrelated roolz.  Like when Bethesda.net was banning people from their forums AND locking them out of a game license they didn't violate...because some twink moderator got butt-hurt about FO76 bashing.  Steam went through the same thing.

As a normal user I have never seen the advantage of a premium membership with Nexus and unfortunately there is an additional tax for premium users in addition to the already  specified fees! The download speed was always sufficient for me as basic member.

Besides the Lifetime Premium membership, does anything else change from August 3rd, e.g. if someone ever intends to post a mod on Nexus ?

40 minutes ago, Kanlaon said:

As a normal user I have never seen the advantage of a premium membership with Nexus and unfortunately there is an additional tax for premium users in addition to the already  specified fees! The download speed was always sufficient for me as basic member.

Besides the Lifetime Premium membership, does anything else change from August 3rd, e.g. if someone ever intends to post a mod on Nexus ?

If you want the unlimited life time membership (till they decide to ban you) then you have to get it before August 3rd.  The only difference as far as I can tell is you don't have yearly fees to keep the status.

This is likely a move to get some quick cash for the site. The warning, last time thing to get those that have been thinking of it... but fooling around and not getting it, to get it. Also some might just get it as they are afraid they might loose something. This is a standard practice. I have seen it on several software companies in recent years.

Chances are if you didn't want one so far, never really felt the need for one thus far, you fairly likely don't need one.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:26 PM, 27X said:

Yeah, you do. You're doing that thing you do again.

Not even kind of.

The point is removing avenues of communication which will call policy into question.

Well then when they start complete commercialization, I'm sure you'll just get in line accordingly like a good consumer.

Yeah.  They're decoupling the mods so they can spin them off as a package, now that they've given themselves ownership (infinite, non-exclusive license to use...) of the mod authors' work.  I suspect they'll sell them to Steam or some other pay to download site.

Any bets?

On 7/19/2021 at 6:19 PM, Mr. Otaku said:

The third one i don't understand. Is it an attempt to cut costs? Will the forum site be under new management and thus have a separate expense cycle? I don't see much of a point in this and not much, if at all is said about this. Not that it makes any difference to me, i never used Nexus forums that much.

Forums software like the one running nexus and LL are shipped with a custom made operating system (linux based). Nexus outgrown the forum's software capabilities and probably need to be a lot more agile on the hardware side. Most people don't use the nexus forums, I sure never did, which means that maintaining a farm of servers for something most people don't use is somewhat ridiculous.

They're able to built their own forum based exchange for the content they provide: mods. The existing forums themselves will most likely continue to exists, or be phased out, much like Valve's legacy forums were slowly phased out when steam's community firstly appeared.

It make sense to consolidate your technology. Nexus doesn't need the existing forum software anymore, as it's old and archaic and probably doesn't integrate well with their future plans. The nexus is in the business of distributing mods, not providing a space for dialogues.

Yeah, I saw that on there the other day and considered mentioning it in the topic on here about their new 'collections,'/ "if you think Nexus is your buddy" — which they coincidentally locked down on LL — but as I continued reading through it, I realized how fucking vapid it was (oops, I swore. SORRY), and noted the fact that I was falling asleep in my chair, literally. Albeit tuned up.

It's true -- Nexus isn't your buddy, and who's been paying them for premium, regardless?  You?  You must not like indulging in substance as much as me, or you'd know what the 50 something bucks could go towards instead, e.g., bucks (left it ambiguous for you).

Edited by stingray1995
18 hours ago, stingray1995 said:

Yeah, I saw that on there the other day and considered mentioning it in the topic on here about their new 'collections,'/ "if you think Nexus is your buddy" — which they coincidentally locked down on LL — but as I continued reading through it, I realized how fucking vapid it was (oops, I swore. SORRY), and noted the fact that I was falling asleep in my chair, literally. Albeit tuned up.

It's true -- Nexus isn't your buddy, and who's been paying them for premium, regardless?  You?  You must not like indulging in substance as much as me, or you'd know what the 50 something bucks could go towards instead, e.g., bucks (left it ambiguous for you).

You can fuck chinese whores for 50 bucks where I live. Definitely more valuable than wasting it on Nexus.

If you spend lots of time in Nexus(downloading, re-downloading, looking for mods/answers) then MAYBE it's a good idea for lifetime premium, saves your time every day.

I don't care about speed much, but it have IMO one very useful function, loads fewer pages, means you search very fast thru comments/long descriptions(when looking for some specific keyword to some mod problem and checking if anyone else asked/resolved ?),

since there always problems/conflicts/ignorance with mods, it's fast when you look for 2 pages instead of 10 maybe.

~75eu is a lot, I felt/will feel some months stupid after buying, but thought fu*k it, it's just a one night stay at some small but decent resort by the sea price.

I bit the bullet and got my lifetime premium last week or so. The faster download speed is nice I guess, but not really something I couldn't live without - most mods are pretty small filesize-wise anyway.

The real value-add is in modlists, both Nexus' own collections (for Vortex) and Wabbajack (for MO2). Being able to automate downloading and installing hundreds of mods, conflict resolution and all, with a few clicks is a pretty compelling reason to splurge on Premium, imo. I just downloaded a LotD modlist, and looking through the files, it would have taken me like 50-100 hours to compile that on my own. Instead I let the installer run overnight two nights in a row and then I was all set.

On 7/20/2021 at 5:31 AM, RitualClarity said:

This is likely a move to get some quick cash for the site. The warning, last time thing to get those that have been thinking of it... but fooling around and not getting it, to get it. Also some might just get it as they are afraid they might loose something. This is a standard practice. I have seen it on several software companies in recent years.

I'm not sure I buy that this is a financially motivated decision for Nexus, lifetime memberships are generally bad deals for companies. There must be a chunk of people who would have been willing to pay a recurring subscription, but aren't doing so because they already got lifetime premium in 2010 or whatever. This strikes me as a PR move - they know lifetime memberships are not sustainable in the long run (hence their ending the option) but judged that removing that option abruptly without advance notice was likely to cause some backlash.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, CPU said:

Moderate your language, Kendo.

Do not like their commercial move? Though shit.

Do they changed something for old accounts? No.

Follow-up:  I've contacted @Ashal concerning this,  Evidently he doesn't care so that means you weren't acting as a moderator and were actually exerting your personal bias (ie causing drama) with the implied intent that you had some sort of authority...which you obviously didn't.  Otherwise Ashal would have responded with 'Yeah, my staff can/can't make whatever rules they want on the spot'.  He didn't say that SO...You don't don't get to moderator-flex on a subject you have vetted interest in.

Pro Tip: your personal preferences ARE NOT site rules.  Be sure to pass that on to @DoctaSax.

EDIT: And the before the wailings of 'oh muh drama' and 'he-done-did-call-me-out' horse shit starts....A MODERATOR INITIATED IT.  So before  you delete this post;  Do the rules apply to everyone?

Edited by Kendo 2
57 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

Otherwise Ashal would have responded with 'Yeah, my staff can/can't make whatever rules they want on the spot'.  He didn't say that SO...You don't don't get to moderator-flex on a subject you have vetted interest in.

No. I didn't respond because I didn't care about your complaint and CPU was right in what he said so I saw no reason escalate things.

You called people and I quote, "Fucking losers" so a moderator rightly told you to watch the tone. You weren't punished in anyway, you were simply asked to cut back on the insults. That's the entire non-story. 

58 minutes ago, Ashal said:

No. I didn't respond because I didn't care about your complaint and CPU was right in what he said so I saw no reason escalate things.

You called people and I quote, "Fucking losers" so a moderator rightly told you to watch the tone. You weren't punished in anyway, you were simply asked to cut back on the insults. That's the entire non-story. 

It would have taken as much effort to address this then as it did now.  You choosing not to sends the message that your staff can willy-nilly make up rules whenever their tender sensibilities get rubbed the wrong way or when their off-site affiliations are called into question.  So site rules have changed and moderator butt-hurt is now a rule violation; yeah that's a win for every LL member.

Edited by Kendo 2

And because the deadline to buy the old perpetual lifetime premium membership on Nexus is passed (was August 4th) this thread can be archived.

Topic locked.

• Guest locked this topic