Sim Spam in Downloads

Just now, RDA said:

Why not use the forum attached to your mod page to put the news you need to give ?

I already sorted my situation, I'm going to unify my files into one and then I'll be able to edit it always when there's new content, so it's not a problem for me. I'm talking about considering small edits to be spam with no judgement, just based on reports, this gives way too much chance for users to abuse the report feature, for example.

I'm going to be a bit harsh, I don't want to offense anyone, it will just be easier to express what I want to say.

Do you really think people care when someone edit a download page to give patreon news (Patrons already get that news) ? Or when you edit a schedule ? Or edit a screenshot ?

The answer is no.

Update a post in the minute because you just submit something and your internet is low, or because you miss something, it is ok. Outside of that, the only thing people care about is : there is new content or not ?

So we can talk for hours if you want, but there is no good reason to make "minor update" on your pages.

19 minutes ago, Idiche Volfe said:

I already sorted my situation, I'm going to unify my files into one and then I'll be able to edit it always when there's new content, so it's not a problem for me. I'm talking about considering small edits to be spam with no judgement, just based on reports, this gives way too much chance for users to abuse the report feature, for example.

Then don't do small edits with no new content and no one will report you.

19 minutes ago, mrrakkonn said:

@Idiche Volfe This forum does not exist to provide you with a livelihood.

Yes that's true, that's why Patreon does lol, this is literally not the point of what I'm saying dude. When I say small edits I mean small edits not Patreon updates. If I was referring to patreon updates I would have said patreon updates. I am talking about small edits like grammar fixes and etc.

Edited by Idiche Volfe
11 minutes ago, Idiche Volfe said:

I am talking about small edits like grammar fixes

half of the mods I see on LL has broken english in their descriptions (probably myself included), nobody will care if there are some typos or mistakes are left in yours. hell, i bet half the crowd probably can't even understand a word of it apart from "Download", lol

25 minutes ago, Idiche Volfe said:

Yes that's true, that's why Patreon does lol, this is literally not the point of what I'm saying dude. When I say small edits I mean small edits not Patreon updates. If I was referring to patreon updates I would have said patreon updates. I am talking about small edits like grammar fixes and etc.

Then make a post in the thread to specificy why you updated. This is not hard. Just stop bumping your downloads to the front page for the sole reason of doing that. You can still update your files, 

You don't need to bump your downloads. 

4 minutes ago, mrrakkonn said:

Then make a post in the thread to specificy why you updated. This is not hard. Just stop bumping your downloads to the front page for the sole reason of doing that. You can still update your files, 

You don't need to bump your downloads. 

I don't bump my downloads so

6 minutes ago, Idiche Volfe said:

I don't bump my downloads so

As far as I understand you're doing weekly updates about stuff you're not uploading to this site but rather to your patreon as early access or exclusives. I don't see the difference. Update your file when you have something people can actually download from it. 

Also to let you know, and it's something I haven't really stated out loud before, but I think locking sims and lots behind patreon tiers as either "exclusive" or "early access" is extremely toxic. 

1 hour ago, mrrakkonn said:

As far as I understand you're doing weekly updates about stuff you're not uploading to this site but rather to your patreon as early access or exclusives. I don't see the difference. Update your file when you have something people can actually download from it. 

Also to let you know, and it's something I haven't really stated out loud before, but I think locking sims and lots behind patreon tiers as either "exclusive" or "early access" is extremely toxic. 

Agreed. It's annoying to see a cool Sim I'd want to download or a Sim with a piece of CC I want locked behind a paywall. It turns me off and makes me seek out other Sim creators. 

I also want to throw out there that I don't think WW animations are the same in this regard, although I admit I know very little about the process, but I'd imagine that animating definitely takes practice, time, and effort. I've seen numerous animators here go from sub-par, janky animations to something I'd totally give them money for. But I try to create detailed Sims all the time. It normally never takes me over an hour to make one, especially if I have a very good idea of what I want the Sim to be. 

I'm also very happy I found a thread on these subjects. 

3 hours ago, SilentAegis said:

Agreed. It's annoying to see a cool Sim I'd want to download or a Sim with a piece of CC I want locked behind a paywall. It turns me off and makes me seek out other Sim creators. 

I also want to throw out there that I don't think WW animations are the same in this regard, although I admit I know very little about the process, but I'd imagine that animating definitely takes practice, time, and effort. I've seen numerous animators here go from sub-par, janky animations to something I'd totally give them money for. But I try to create detailed Sims all the time. It normally never takes me over an hour to make one, especially if I have a very good idea of what I want the Sim to be. 

I'm also very happy I found a thread on these subjects. 

I can only agree with you. Good quality animation with a lot of details can take from 8 to 24 hours to be completed (or even more, it depends if you care about small details or not). And this is without adding sounds, doing the script, S4studio stuff, and trying it in game to see that the animation has some issues so you have to retouch it.
It's why some animators just abandon it because sometimes it's frustrating. Or some just don't care and share the animation as it is. I can't blame them. Tbh it's not for everyone, it's more a passion thing where you can express your art. At least it's how I feel. 

By going back to the subject of the thread, I see that only one person is complaining about the new system. This person keep saying that everyone is concerned about the new system but I don't see anyone else complaining about it?

Edited by Khlas
4 hours ago, SilentAegis said:

Without a doubt, animators are worth supporting, I supported two before one retired. The practice is gruelling, at least from my perspective. I've done basic animation in a game that's built for it and makes it as easy as possible, but software like Blender is as technical as it gets and I don't have the patience for it. Although, it takes me well over an hour to make a sim but I'd argue that's me being a slow worker more than anything.

1 hour ago, Khlas said:

I can only agree with you. Good quality animation with a lot of details can take from 8 to 24 hours to be completed (or even more, it depends if you care about small details or not). And this is without adding sounds, doing the script, S4studio stuff, and trying it in game to see that the animation has some issues so you have to retouch it.
It's why some animators just abandon it because sometimes it's frustrating. Or some just don't care and share the animation as it is. I can't blame them. Tbh it's not for everyone, it's more a passion thing where you can express your art. At least it's how I feel. 

Aaaand this is why I won't touch animation work. Let me say that "we're not worthy!"

Much respect to animators.

2 hours ago, Khlas said:

By going back to the subject of the thread, I see that only one person is complaining about the new system. This person keep saying that everyone is concerned about the new system but I don't see anyone else complaining about it?

Ah, that's true. I had forgotten about the sounds and stuff, those are just as important. It also explains why the list of Inactive Creators is much bigger than the other list of animators on WW's page. 

16 minutes ago, Abandoner said:

Without a doubt, animators are worth supporting, I supported two before one retired. The practice is gruelling, at least from my perspective. I've done basic animation in a game that's built for it and makes it as easy as possible, but software like Blender is as technical as it gets and I don't have the patience for it. Although, it takes me well over an hour to make a sim but I'd argue that's me being a slow worker more than anything.

Aaaand this is why I won't touch animation work. Let me say that "we're not worthy!"

Much respect to animators.

They are at least 50% of the reason I continue to play this game and they did largely contribute to WW's success. And since the above mentioned that it takes them hours upon hours to create those animations, I understand the desire to monetize their work. If they couldn't, we probably wouldn't have seen as many animations as we have today. I'd say that's another reason why I exclude them from criticism, they've also contributed to the popularity of The Sims 4 section of Loverslab. Sims, on the other hand, you can find in many other places other than LoversLab. What do paywalled Sims have to offer compared to free Sims?

Anyways, just my $0.02. 

Like I said before, I totally agree with all of you about animation. But that's not really the question.

It doesn't really matter how much time or talent it takes to make content, the same rules apply to everyone. Just that modders and animators have been more respectful on the site in 10 years than a handful of sim creators in 1 year.

75% of the reports of excessive bumping I've dealt with so far have honestly been without merit.

first off, I honestly ignored most of the reports off the bat even if they were obviously guilty. The rule was just announced, I see no reason to punish people for crimes they didn't know were crimes before the announcement. Many files that hadn't been updated for days or weeks BEFORE the bumping rule was announced have been reported multiple times, chill for fucks sake. Give them a chance to see the rule announced and correct their behavior first. Not an insignificant amount even clearly had visible changes worth an update such as new sims added to their library  but have were reported as empty updates anyway.

@Ashal With all due respect, you can't really blame people for having a hair trigger, given the state things degenerated to and the amount of time it was allowed to continue. When something was finally done about it, all the excessive reporting was a symptom (sim-ptom? okay I'll see myself out, don't call security) of pent up frustration more than anything, I'd guess.  That will die down naturally as the forum normalizes to a more viewer-friendly state. In the end, everyone just wants a better forum. Thanks for helping fix it.

@Ashal

Think we, sorry I shouldn't speak for everyone! I mean, I am wary of the few who were told time and time again there was a problem but silently hid behind keyboards singing lalalalalala, sooo infuriating!! It's such a shame it needed another rule and work for the Mods. Sadly the few have poked me with a stick for too long, maybe that's how a few of us feel. I'm sure it will settle and hopefully some of the great Sims Creators will return, I hope so. It feels like the nice ones were kicked out of the community for paywalls and greed :( Apology if that sounds like drama but we move on, doors open, come in, everyone welcome.... ;)

Edited by ChinaTam
On 5/30/2021 at 3:52 AM, Ashal said:

75% of the reports of excessive bumping I've dealt with so far have honestly been without merit.

first off, I honestly ignored most of the reports off the bat even if they were obviously guilty. The rule was just announced, I see no reason to punish people for crimes they didn't know were crimes before the announcement. Many files that hadn't been updated for days or weeks BEFORE the bumping rule was announced have been reported multiple times, chill for fucks sake. Give them a chance to see the rule announced and correct their behavior first. Not an insignificant amount even clearly had visible changes worth an update such as new sims added to their library  but have were reported as empty updates anyway.

I can't speak for anyone either, and personally only reported one person, either way hope I wasn't part of the problem. This person deleted their old mod and are now slowly reuploading it bit by bit over the past few days to keep it on the front page. Its plain to see even as their screen shots show all their content but the downloads only show 4 as of now. Am not sure if that is covered under spam or not, but thought CPU's post that someone copied listed that many are being watched that had already started to do that sort of behavior.

On 5/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, ChinaTam said:

Is anyone else getting tired of all the same sims being constantly posted in the download section advertising paywall Patreon accounts. Why are they allowed to keep posting advertising sims dressed in, what I consider, actual talented clothing CC designers creations without any credits given. Totally understand if anyone wishes to donate to these people but the constant posts feel like spam filling up the download section.

yes i get patron is a great thing for modders but im so sick of clicking a link to be directed to a patron link i cant pay them all a TSR VIP membership is really needed for this site the more it grows the more they want the average user to pay for what really should be free content i havent endless cash to pay for everyones exclusives 

Seriously.  It was only one in particular, that had no less than half a dozen posts that would all get simultaneously bumped and have nothing but "Exclusive to Patreon" content in them.  Yeah, they were advertised as different posters, but they lead to the same place.  There's two, maybe three more I can think of that actively advertises Exclusive To Patreon content, one of those uploads an exclusive and a free download together.  Another would bump the same four sims, two and two, hadn't actively added any more in a long time but still kept bumping. 

It's still a handful compared to a majority that continually provide new content as either immediately free, or Patreon early access (which guess what, even WW has).  Which is not a paywall... it's an impatience issue.  If you want to spam report the honest to dog paywallers that aren't providing anything to the community besides constant ad bumps, cool, but damn that report spamming (yes, I mean it that way, not reporting spam... as in, spamming the report button) is equally childish.  This is a free community, these people (mods included) are not paid to deal with this, you aren't a customer, they are providing this community for us.

Mods at least seem to have come up with the best solution, separate the Households content from the rest.  That should be end of discussion.

Edited by Jaysply