Site Update: Things have changed, but nothing is final.

8 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

It's like anal... just relax a little...

Reveal hidden contents

772453904_2BA2.jpg.ee872a221c58103c45262a4230d9d7f0.jpgScreenshot-243.jpg.ce0801bc78e0f80d58233ff9914a26c0.jpg

Nothing important, just a couple of pics already in my attachments file I used as a test. Current TS3 projects.

> Thanks for advises :)  but I didn't post my post as complain and as someone who was tensed, but rather as LL member who is trying to suggest things that might be improved :)

> Second, I practice anal sex since I was 13 with my girlfriend who is my wife now and with my husband. Never been tensed when doing it, since both of them are anal sex masters :) Thanks to them I have many anal orgasms.?

Edited by EvalovesEP
5 hours ago, EvalovesEP said:

trying to suggest things that might be improved :)

My post was that 2 pics went in a spoiler. I have made more. Not sure why you could only make one pic in each spoiler? The rest was perhaps poor attempt at humor.

Speaking of improvements.....

On 7/9/2021 at 2:36 AM, LongDukDong said:

I've uploaded some massive projects, re-uploaded Claudia's Little Secret because the original DL links died, uploaded a complete version of DarkBloodline so you didn't need to hunt for the resources offsite and so on.  However, the last massive upload attached odd numeric prefixes to the upload  zip files.

EXAMPLE:

932520679_ChildrensofCyrodiilBSAs.zip.001

203545711_ChildrensofCyrodiilBSAs.zip.002

.... etc.

These prefix numbers highlighted gold do not show up when uploading, but only after hitting SAVE. And even then, you only see them when actively clicking Download.

Was this oddity resolved? I would like to re-RE-upload the files, but not if this weirdness with Prefix Numbers appearing continues.

Thanks to Ashal I'm back into my account! Yay!

A few comments: whilst the site update and badges are a nice change; I think the signing in with email 'for security' is a silly move that doesn;t really enhance security for anyone - it's a bit like the veneer of security that is provided by things like TSA patdowns at airports; the real security is provided by more robust measures in this case, a strong unique password (that you can lock into a password bitlocker for autologins like I do).

Additionally - the lack of notice before the change was poor. - Changes like that to sites should always be sign posted in plenty of time so people have a chance to prepare for it; like updating email addresses, sorting autologins, or simply spring clean and change password etc. so they are not caught out; as appears to be the case for quite a few here. (hopefully we don;t lose any modders from the community from it!)

24 minutes ago, spore123 said:

I think the signing in with email 'for security' is a silly move that doesn;t really enhance security for anyone - it's a bit like the veneer of security that is provided by things like TSA patdowns at airports; the real security is provided by more robust measures in this case, a strong unique password (that you can lock into a password bitlocker for autologins like I do).

Various accounts have actively been brute forced in the past, it's a problem.

With username logins a hacker can simply scrape the list of usernames from the member directory or target a specific username then brute force passwords already knowing half of the username+password combo. They can't do that with email login because the emails aren't public info. It effectively removes their starting point for stealing login info. Using 2 obfuscated pieces of info to login is unquestionably better than just 1 being obfuscated. 

It is not security theater, it is a very valid form of extra security. 

Additionally - the lack of notice before the change was poor. - Changes like that to sites should always be sign posted in plenty of time so people have a chance to prepare for it; like updating email addresses, sorting autologins, or simply spring clean and change password etc. so they are not caught out; as appears to be the case for quite a few here. (hopefully we don;t lose any modders from the community from it!)

I'll give you that. I should've given some notice ahead of time. I updated the forum software, and with that update came a notice/suggestion to disable username logins which was a good suggestion so I just swapped it without any forethought. 

Perhaps I'll swap it back temporarily for 48 hours and put up a notice on the login screen that it'll be changing back to email only login after that.

8 hours ago, Ashal said:

Username login has been temporarily re-enabled and I've put a notice up on the login that the site will be switching back to email address login only on July 17th.

I suspect that you know even better than I do that there has been a significant drop in users since you instituted the original change. If you are dead set on continuing with the newer system let me humbly suggest that you give a longer grace period in which to allow those who have been unable to get on the site more chance to prepare for the change. Hopefully, that will keep the number of people lost permanently to a minimum.

8 minutes ago, Psalam said:

he newer system let me humbly suggest that you give a longer grace period

Speaking for myself, I'd suggest a grace period measured in multiple weeks, e.g.3-6.  :classic_unsure:

On the other hand, I have no insight in the urgency of this matter to protect the authentic users as best as possible. And in my personal risk hierarchy this seconds question matters more!

33 minutes ago, T-lam said:

I for myself prefer the more scure way.

If it happens, that someone has lost here/his email,

either make new loggin or mail ashal to have the old restored.

While I have no objection there have already been threads to this effect and I have referred people to Ashal's note here in this Thread. However, none of that is helpful for those who aren't getting on the site in the first place.

Edited by Psalam
misspelling

I agree with @worik saying that, although I feel sorry for those who forgot their e-mail, I am for better and more secure log in. I'm talking from own experience when mine and Prince's non LL accounts and e-mail were hacked. We had to buy hardware firewall key and log through our friend's company server. 

Edited by EvalovesEP
14 hours ago, Ashal said:

Various accounts have actively been brute forced in the past, it's a problem.

With username logins a hacker can simply scrape the list of usernames from the member directory or target a specific username then brute force passwords already knowing half of the username+password combo. They can't do that with email login because the emails aren't public info. It effectively removes their starting point for stealing login info. Using 2 obfuscated pieces of info to login is unquestionably better than just 1 being obfuscated. 

It is not security theater, it is a very valid form of extra security. 

Cheer up dear Ash.? Not the kind of rain we wish like to see here.? We all make mistakes, but not everyone can swallow own's pride to admit it.? Thank you for the detailed explanations about the working of the network security here. Nobody shouldn't blame you and your staff for the security holes left by browser developers.? Sorry to put it in a silly way but I think the web browser is the egg in this case. There is an old wise proverb: "Prevention is better than cure" For the future, please keep these important remarks of LL's users in mind to avoid fighting with multi-accounts.?

Edited by smartfon
16 hours ago, Ashal said:

Username login has been temporarily re-enabled and I've put a notice up on the login that the site will be switching back to email address login only on July 17th.

7 hours ago, Psalam said:

I suspect that you know even better than I do that there has been a significant drop in users since you instituted the original change. If you are dead set on continuing with the newer system let me humbly suggest that you give a longer grace period in which to allow those who have been unable to get on the site more chance to prepare for the change. Hopefully, that will keep the number of people lost permanently to a minimum.

i'm with psalam, grace period should be longer. preferably a extra 2 weeks but at the least the full weekend (when most people are off work and will actually have a chance to see the message before it re-takes effect)

Edited by MadMansGun
On 7/9/2021 at 2:36 AM, LongDukDong said:

I've uploaded some massive projects, re-uploaded Claudia's Little Secret because the original DL links died, uploaded a complete version of DarkBloodline so you didn't need to hunt for the resources offsite and so on.  However, the last massive upload attached odd numeric prefixes to the upload  zip files.

EXAMPLE:

932520679_ChildrensofCyrodiilBSAs.zip.001

203545711_ChildrensofCyrodiilBSAs.zip.002

.... etc.

These prefix numbers highlighted gold do not show up when uploading, but only after hitting SAVE. And even then, you only see them when actively clicking Download.

With the upgrade of the system and different look to the Download manager, I thought this issue may have been corrected, so I attempted to re-upload Childrens Of Cyrodiil once again...

ME IN PROCESS OF UPLOADING

ugh 1jpg.jpg

As you can see, I had files with odd prefixes, and a fresh upload for Childrens of Cyrodiil BSAs in the works, the first .zip.001 file already done.  However, after I hit save and returned to look at the files (hitting Download this File), these inane prefix numbers had reappeared.

I did upload a new version of TamagoFertilityClinic with no problem, no prefix numbers attached.  So it is likely filesize related. 

I never had these prefix numbers on other 'massive' zips of this nature, neither for the reupload of Claudia's Little Secret, nor the complete version of Dark Bloodline (so you didn't need to go offsite to Russia for the resources).  These prefix numbers gotta GO. 

Anyone using spanned files like this need to manually edit/delete these off the filename so the archive can be opened. Which is why I again attempted this reupload.

Edited by LongDukDong
Additional content regarding filesize as factor
13 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

i'm with psalam, grace period should be longer. preferably a extra 2 weeks but at the least the full weekend (when most people are off work and will actually have a chance to see the message before it re-takes effect)

Sure. I've changed the date to the 21st for switching back to email only login. That gives a little over a week for people to have noticed the message. I'd prefer to not wait longer than that, as announcing the change over and leaving username logins enabled like they are now just gives hackers an incentive to put more effort into their attempts for the duration before it's to late.

19 hours ago, EvalovesEP said:

> Can this, "Ignore thread" be done for Blog entries too?

It cannot. The ignore thread feature is provided by a 3rd party plugin I added and have no control over. It has no settings I can enable to include blogs.

7 hours ago, LongDukDong said:

With the upgrade of the system and different look to the Download manager, I thought this issue may have been corrected, so I attempted to re-upload Childrens Of Cyrodiil once again...

ME IN PROCESS OF UPLOADING

Reveal hidden contents

As you can see, I had files with odd prefixes, and a fresh upload for Childrens of Cyrodiil BSAs in the works, the first .zip.001 file already done.  However, after I hit save and returned to look at the files (hitting Download this File), these inane prefix numbers had reappeared.

I did upload a new version of TamagoFertilityClinic with no problem, no prefix numbers attached.  So it is likely filesize related. 

I never had these prefix numbers on other 'massive' zips of this nature, neither for the reupload of Claudia's Little Secret, nor the complete version of Dark Bloodline (so you didn't need to go offsite to Russia for the resources).  These prefix numbers gotta GO. 

Anyone using spanned files like this need to manually edit/delete these off the filename so the archive can be opened. Which is why I again attempted this reupload.

Not sure why that would be happening.  I know why the filenames get prefixed with the numbers, it's part of how files are handled on the server and has always been the case. However, these prefixes are usually kept only for internal reference and files are supposed to be publicly listed as the same name they were uploaded with, if that makes sense.

In anycase, like I said, not sure why it'd be happening. Something must've changed with the recent update to the forum software, but I'm not currently aware of any change that would be the cause of this. I'll look into it as I'm able.

33 minutes ago, Ashal said:

Sure. I've changed the date to the 21st for switching back to email only login. That gives a little over a week for people to have noticed the message. I'd prefer to not wait longer than that, as announcing the change over and leaving username logins enabled like they are now just gives hackers an incentive to put more effort into their attempts for the duration before it's to late.

Thank you very much for that. And now, to push my luck, might I ask for a banner notice across the site until such time as the new security goes into effect? I am well aware that reading things (like a mod's description of how to use it) is a skill not everyone shares but, again at a minimum, there will be no excuse to have not made the changes needed by the deadline.

4 hours ago, Ashal said:

In anycase, like I said, not sure why it'd be happening. Something must've changed with the recent update to the forum software, but I'm not currently aware of any change that would be the cause of this. I'll look into it as I'm able.

Hrm.   Not sure if possible of feasible... but what if one was able to go into the DL manager and 'rename' the files after upload?  Would an [Edit Filename] option be possible to include?  Something like that would allow the author to update-edit their uploads to include version numbers or other accents they may have forgotten to include prior to upload.  That would negate the need to delete/reupload the same file for the filename correction.

Oh, while I do like the new look to the manager, I did like the older red-colored trashcan delete button from the older system.  Just sayin'.

Edited by LongDukDong
Explaining 'Edit Filename' option benefits