Hey there,...

I'm experiencing some kind of bug with a captive that was spawned by "Commonwealth Captives".
Though I am not sure whether it's caused by that mod or some other.

I'm currently travelling with Cait as a companion and rescued three captives from a SuperMutant camp.
As usual I equipped them with armour and weapons and sent them to some settlements and it worked for two of them.

The last one also took the outfit and weapon and is also using it in combat as supposed, but I can't talk to her to send her to a settlement.
I can trade with her, I can give her orders, I can command her to stay...but if I hit "1" for "Talk" (or click on the "Talk" option after pressing "E") nothing happens. Only a muted sound like if you click somewhere where there's noting to actually click and that's it.

I tried to make her do something that is related to other mods. Like I wanted to "prostitute" my Sole Survivor, using the "Sex 'm Up" mod. But I was getting the message: "You can't prostitute to your companion", as if that rescued captive was stuck in "vanilla companion mode".

So, I dismissed Cait - just to check whether that script might be stuck - and tried again with the captive but with the same result.

(I also restarted the game first, just to make sure).

I then tried with the "disable" - "enable" command via console and also the "resetAI" command, but that didn't help either.
The captive is still faithfully following me and is doing everything fine, except for talking to me.

Any ideas what else I could try (except for killing her, which would be the very, very last measure I'd take :) )

Thanks already for your thoughts on this!

Edited by JonX67
9 hours ago, izzyknows said:

Wouldn't you have to tweak the Captives factions? Not real sure, but Trappers are hostile to even captive factions. Kinda like Scavengers.

Possibly yeah.  There is a function in EBCC_CaptiveManager called SetupFactions() that I used to make Deathclaws and the special Raider factions from Start Me Up friendly with the mod's captive faction.  It just does this with each of them:

EBCC_FriendFaction.SetAlly(DeathclawFaction, true, true)

So you'd need to do the same with whatever additional factions are needed.

5 hours ago, JonX67 said:

I then tried with the "disable" - "enable" command via console and also the "resetAI" command, but that didn't help either.
The captive is still faithfully following me and is doing everything fine, except for talking to me.

That is odd.  It sounds like she is running the Freed Captive AI package, but some other quest is overriding the dialogue from the Captive Manager quest.

Try highlighting her in console and running the "sv" command.  The output shows each script affecting the actor.  Each one has a header like "--- Papyrus ---" with alias and quest information, followed by the name of the script.  Normally you would only see two scripts on a freed captive: the vanilla WorkshopNPCScript, and EBCC:EBCC_FreedCaptivesScript.  Like this:

image.png  image.png

If the NPC is in another alias, this will indicate what it is and what quest it is from.

52 minutes ago, EgoBallistic said:

That is odd.  It sounds like she is running the Freed Captive AI package, but some other quest is overriding the dialogue from the Captive Manager quest.

Try highlighting her in console and running the "sv" command.  The output shows each script affecting the actor.  Each one has a header like "--- Papyrus ---" with alias and quest information, followed by the name of the script.  Normally you would only see two scripts on a freed captive: the vanilla WorkshopNPCScript, and EBCC:EBCC_FreedCaptivesScript.  Like this:

image.png  image.png

If the NPC is in another alias, this will indicate what it is and what quest it is from.

Thanks for this.
I'll try as soon as I have a chance.

What came to my mind already before your reply:
When I rescued that captive I was on the way of doing a side-quest for a settlement which was: Rescuing a kidnapped settler.
Is it possible that this vanilla side quest and the script from Commonwealth Captive crossed lines, so to say?

(I guess the "sv-command" will show if that's the case, right? :) )

So, here's what came after the "sv" command:

No idea where that "magic effect" came from.
I had nothing else at hand when I met her so I dressed her in Kellogg's outfit that was in my inventory as I just came from meeting/killing him at Ford Hagen.
It is some unique outfit I guess, but I don't think it's that unique, right? :D

Commonwealth Captives SV.jpg

Edited by JonX67
adding information
16 minutes ago, JonX67 said:

So, here's what came after the "sv" command:

No idea where that "magic effect" came from.
I had nothing else at hand when I met her so I dressed her in Kellogg's outfit that was in my inventory as I just came from meeting/killing him at Ford Hagen.
It is some unique outfit I guess, but I don't think it's that unique, right? :D

KFIncomingMonitoringEffectScript is from Knockout Framework.  The second one is from Player Comments and Headtracking.  I suspect PCHT is the issue here.  The NPC may be stuck in a dialogue from that mod.  There may be a way to temporarily disable the mod so that the CC dialogue can happen.

3 hours ago, EgoBallistic said:

KFIncomingMonitoringEffectScript is from Knockout Framework.  The second one is from Player Comments and Headtracking.  I suspect PCHT is the issue here.  The NPC may be stuck in a dialogue from that mod.  There may be a way to temporarily disable the mod so that the CC dialogue can happen.

Once you said it, it was so obvious that I wonder why I didn't see it myself!

Thanks a lot for the advice, really!

PCHT can be deavtivated in game via MCM, so I'll check that.
And that mod recently moved to my "non-essentials" anyway, so it wont conflict for much longer in my game :)

I noticed something recently while using this. If I have both a companion and a captive following me, I can't seem to get the main dialogue list and go straight into the "TALK" list for my main companion. An example of this is that I wanted to get a good weapon I knew my companion had on them to give to the captive. I couldn't get it though because there was no "TRADE" option when I interacted with them, it showed what I would see if I had selected "TALK" instead which doesn't have the option to trade items. I do see the main list just fine with the captive though so I can TRADE, tell them to STAY, etc. If I dismiss the captive, then things work just fine with my main companion. Not a big deal really since it doesn't permanently break anything, just a little annoying at times. Seems like that main list will only show up for one of them, not sure if it has to do with whoever is most recently following or something.

I am not using AFT or anything else that might be modifying the default companion framework for Fallout, at least as far as I know anyway. This happens for any vanilla companion so it isn't specific to anyone. Everything else works fine otherwise and this mod works great for me.

EDIT: Full disclosure I made a patch to add a couple factions for this mod as mentioned below, but that is the only change and I can't imagine that affects dialogue for companions.

Edited by jamesmand
21 hours ago, izzyknows said:

Wouldn't you have to tweak the Captives factions? Not real sure, but Trappers are hostile to even captive factions. Kinda like Scavengers.

I actually patched this myself to add Trappers and Rust Devils. You do need to update their factions so they are friendly to the captive faction. Luckily in my load order there aren't any other mods that modify these factions so patching was pretty simple to add this. Works just fine once the factions and conditions in a couple other records are updated.

2 hours ago, jamesmand said:

I noticed something recently while using this. If I have both a companion and a captive following me, I can't seem to get the main dialogue list and go straight into the "TALK" list for my main companion. An example of this is that I wanted to get a good weapon I knew my companion had on them to give to the captive. I couldn't get it though because there was no "TRADE" option when I interacted with them, it showed what I would see if I had selected "TALK" instead which doesn't have the option to trade items.

Well, this mod doesn't modify any of those things, it just calls the functions from the vanilla scripts to give those options to the freed Captives.  One thing I have noticed is that which options you can use to talk to your companions depends on the distance you are from them.  If you are close, you automatically Talk to them ; if you are standing farther away you get the Talk / Trade / Stay menu.  This happens whether or not you have Captives or followers from any other mod with you.

19 hours ago, EgoBallistic said:

Well, this mod doesn't modify any of those things, it just calls the functions from the vanilla scripts to give those options to the freed Captives.  One thing I have noticed is that which options you can use to talk to your companions depends on the distance you are from them.  If you are close, you automatically Talk to them ; if you are standing farther away you get the Talk / Trade / Stay menu.  This happens whether or not you have Captives or followers from any other mod with you.

Gotcha, even though I don't have anything like AFT installed it could be some other mod in my load order is causing this to happen. I figured I would bring it up in case anyone else noticed this behavior when captives were following you in addition to normal vanilla companions. If I find out what might be causing the talk/trade/stay list to not show up for vanilla companions and just go straight to the "talk" sublist, I'll post here so people can avoid the same problem.

23 hours ago, jamesmand said:

Gotcha, even though I don't have anything like AFT installed it could be some other mod in my load order is causing this to happen. I figured I would bring it up in case anyone else noticed this behavior when captives were following you in addition to normal vanilla companions. If I find out what might be causing the talk/trade/stay list to not show up for vanilla companions and just go straight to the "talk" sublist, I'll post here so people can avoid the same problem.

I've seen that happen off and on, though hadn't correlated it to having captives in tow (but maybe? I'll pay closer attention next time it happens). My usual workaround is to get far enough away before clicking on the companion so that the command options come up, and then approach at which point it's replaced by the typical selections. Also sometimes I've noticed that it seems like targeting their face instead of their body changes which menu I get, but it's not been consistent so that could entirely be my imagination.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:58 PM, JonX67 said:

Once you said it, it was so obvious that I wonder why I didn't see it myself!

Thanks a lot for the advice, really!

PCHT can be deavtivated in game via MCM, so I'll check that.
And that mod recently moved to my "non-essentials" anyway, so it wont conflict for much longer in my game :)

To close this one,...kind of:

Deactivating "Player Comment and Head Tracking" via MCM didn't solve the issue with that particular NPC.

Though I did the quest of rescuing the kidnapped settler again, and again I freed some captives from the same raider gang on the way (this time with PCHT deactivated the whole time) and after the settler is rescued all NPC (Cait, the freed settler and the rescued captive) behave as intended and have all options to work with.

Unfortunately though, I couldn't replicate the issue, when doing it again with PCHT activated,...

2 minutes ago, AKELLO_11 said:

AAF file is broken, crashes the system, fix it at last, does everything works for everyone, am I the only one who is unlucky?

AAF can be a pain in the butt it it doesn't work properly. There are a few guides on the site to set it up properly. Also make sure you have the latest version, which sadly is hosted on the creators own forum.

Только что Наайтсаб сказал:

AAF может быть головной болью, если не работает должным образом. На сайте есть несколько руководств по настройке. Также убедитесь, что у вас установлена последняя версия, которая, к сожалению, опубликована на форуме разработчиков.

причем тут мой AAF, нормально он у меня работает, это файл мода крашит систему, а настроить его мне не надо, все работает, я и так знаю отчего крашится система AAF, я даже напишу из какого файла это происходит, вот его имя EBCC_protectedEquipmentData. xml, его всего то и надо что исправить

What about my AAF, I have it works fine, it is a file mod crashes the system, and configure it I do not need, everything works, I already know what crashes the system AAF, I'll even write from what file this happens, here is his name EBCC_protectedEquipmentData. xml, that's all I need to fix

Edited by AKELLO_11
5 hours ago, AKELLO_11 said:

here is his name EBCC_protectedEquipmentData. xml, that's all I need to fix

It sounds like you have an old version of AAF.  This mod uses the new XML format used by recent versions of AAF.

Install the attached and allow it to overwrite the file from Commonwealth Captives.  This is the same file but in the old format.

EBCC ProtectedEquipmentData Old AAF.7z

2 hours ago, EgoBallistic said:

Похоже, у вас старая версия AAF. Этот мод использует новый формат XML, используемый в последних версиях AAF.

Установите прикрепленный файл и дайте ему возможность перезаписать файл из Commonwealth Captives. Это тот же файл, но в старом формате.

EBCC ProtectedEquipmentData Старый AAF.7z 385 млрд · 0 загрузок

Thank you, I rewrote the file and now there are no problems, but I'm afraid to install a new version of AAF, in case it fails 

53 minutes ago, EgoBallistic said:

They all have an equal chance of appearing.  The game could do a better job of picking at random from leveled lists, but there's not much I can do about that.

I see. Certain faces do appear more often than others. It makes the rarer faces more ... valuable.