Microsoft bought Zenimax/Bethesda

2 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Competition is good for not only the consumer but for economies as a whole. 

And one of M$'s competitors is open source. Still, it's not like they've got a stranglehold on the gaming market for pc just yet, but they're trying. If mod support proves to be a profitable venture for them, then maybe they will overlook the NSFW mods we so enjoy. Windows is the most widely used OS worldwide and to try and change that you really want to get out from under M$'s shadow by switching to Mac or Linux as much as possible to try and influence the market. It's what I'm thinking of doing. BTW- you can have Windows and Mac or Linux on the same computer. You just can't run them side by side unless in a VM. All you do is reboot the pc and it should ask you which OS you want to use.

Wut... you never heard of a hackintosh build before? Whole community built up around that idea for years now I even built one for somebody about five years ago with dual boot one HDD for mac one HDD for pc choose which one at boot time.

I wouldn't buy an apple product since they all have that T2 chip installed and turned on these days.

9 hours ago, DocClox said:

That's all very well, but your definition doesn't mean there aren't a large number of vocal commentators flying the "progressive" flag and yet still being very repressive about sex.

It's like the Horse. It's a thing you get inside of in order to get inside of another thing that might otherwise prove difficult to access. Seems fair enough to me.

Ya, you think it's safe, let in on it.

55 minutes ago, Zor2k13 said:

Wut... you never heard of a hackintosh build before? Whole community built up around that idea for years now I even built one for somebody about five years ago with dual boot one HDD for mac one HDD for pc choose which one at boot time.

I wouldn't buy an apple product since they all have that T2 chip installed and turned on these days.

Was just talking about the easiest route to get sort of away from Win and the vid was just something interesting I found. On a Mac there is still the problem of many games not supported for it and even if they are, making mods work for them is tricky. Any way you go, your talking much more headache than most people want to fuck with.

There just aren't any convenient alternatives to the Win OS when it comes to gaming on pc (especially with mods) and they know that.

45 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Was just talking about the easiest route to get sort of away from Win and the vid was just something interesting I found. On a Mac there is still the problem of many games not supported for it and even if they are, making mods work for them is tricky. Any way you go, your talking much more headache than most people want to fuck with.

There just aren't any convenient alternatives to the Win OS when it comes to gaming on pc (especially with mods) and they know that.

See, Microsoft IS a monopoly.  Just not in the strictest sense. 

14 hours ago, winny257 said:

I dont want to offend you, but to me are firearms, the weapons one coward, anyone can remotely with a firearms kill another person!
therefore I prefer swords, fight man against man and here the better one wins. :classic_wink:

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpg

Surprisingly enough I do own a few swords.  English Civil War replica "mortuary" sword-rapier and a Peterson Type R Norse sword (five lobed pommel, doubled edged with groove and short thick slightly curving upwards crossguard.)  And a Norse style "hewing" spear even though there has been no historical finds of that particular spear but it's been referred to in the sagas as an "atgeirr"

19 hours ago, Tyrant99 said:

Communism and fascism are not opposite things. In fact, more often than not, they go hand in hand. This is usually the case because in order to maintain the level of control needed for a true communist economy, there needs to be a hell of a lot governmental oversight and regulation, and therefore, the government must be very powerful.

The opposite of fascism is anarchy. Too much anarchy and you get chaos, which is why we see so much of the shit we see going on in the streets. - Antifa at its heart is an anarchist movement.

Centrism in and of itself is logical fallacy 101. There's no reason to think that an idea is correct simply because it is between two others.

At the end of the day, correct ideas are correct, whatever side they're on,

It was meant as a joke because that's what political discourse nowadays is. Everyone on the right accuses everyone on the left to be a communist in disguise and everyone on left accuses everyone on the right to be a fascist in disguise. Under this premise it would follow that a centrist sees fascists and communists everywhere.

While both communism and fascism are authoritarian in nature, they differ in a few areas. While a communist believes that all people can be saved through a thorough re-programming, a fascist believes that some people, usually his own, are inherently good but can be corrupted while everyone from the outside is inherently corrupt and can't be saved. The goal of communism, at least in theory, is to move humanity forward towards utopia while a fascist wants to return to the glory of the old days. In practice, both systems usually lead to millions of dead people. Fascism was mostly obliterated in WW2 and communism has only produced failed states which tend to build walls to keep people inside while capitalist societies tend to build walls to keep people out. And further I'd like to point out that all those communist larpers have the opportunity to migrate to communist countries but almost none of them ever do. Funny that.

A centrist isn't necessarily a fence sitter that takes the middle ground but someone who takes ideas from both sides. A centrist might be for a better social security while also promoting better border control.

17 hours ago, Celedhring said:

and beans oughta be in chili.  And I live in Texas of all places.

What the hell... Beans DO NOT go in chili.... Must live in East Texas... ?

But really.. some things beans in chili is a good thing.. Frito Pie on the other hand NO BEANS... ?

If M$ will buy another 1~2 big studios, that way the theory of M$ game studio transforming into a game publisher; concentrating on Game Pass, xCloud and steeping from $ony competition - are gonna be truthfully. The latest news told us, that Bugthesda was in a dig hole, because of Zenimax corp politics and M$ bought them, so that finally stepped out streaming Amazon's Luna could not acquire them. As M$ told us long ago, a game streaming war is coming by Google - Amazon - M$. ?

6 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

What's all this then?!

you do know chili is short for chili con carne right? which translates to chili peppers with meat.. not a single thing about beans. (and every label you listed is based in Chicago IL, Austin MN Faribilt MN, Dandridge TN or someplace in California.) Or the black bean turkey "chili: (it's a stew it has tomatoes) I.E. NOT Texas.. Texas chili doesn't have beans or tomatoes. Closest you will find in a can is called wolf and they make it both ways.? But hey, If your not from Texas, you don't know any better ?:P

On 9/21/2020 at 2:33 PM, GrimReaper said:

Well, if anyone's got to own them I suppose Microsoft is a better choice than Craptivision, who have ruined Blizzard or Extruding Arseholes, who are ruining Bioware.

As for Microsoft, it's hard to say.  They seem a lot more interested in diversifying their game portfolio than they used to, so it might be a positive experience.  I think the best we can hope for is MS imposing a bit of project discipline at Management Level on Bethesda to avoid any more disasters like Fallout 76, whilst leaving the studio alone creatively.  But we'll have to see what their plans are.

3 hours ago, dwellerindarkplaces said:

Well, if anyone's got to own them I suppose Microsoft is a better choice than Craptivision, who have ruined Blizzard or Extruding Arseholes, who are ruining Bioware.

As for Microsoft, it's hard to say.  They seem a lot more interested in diversifying their game portfolio than they used to, so it might be a positive experience.  I think the best we can hope for is MS imposing a bit of project discipline at Management Level on Bethesda to avoid any more disasters like Fallout 76, whilst leaving the studio alone creatively.  But we'll have to see what their plans are.

If... Microsoft could or would make Bioware  etc... release even semi competently designed and functional games then that would be a win, even if the game was crap.. at least it would work. That would be something to see. However, I doubt that will be the case. We'd be lucky to see them hold Bioware to what they advertise. (like the bag issues, Rum bottle issue etc etc. That might be as far as we can expect Microsoft be able to do.

However, like I stated before. Nobody knows. The only thing we can gather up would be references to other game studios that MS bought and what they have done. 

11 hours ago, jaeos said:

you do know chili is short for chili con carne right? which translates to chili peppers with meat.. not a single thing about beans. (and every label you listed is based in Chicago IL, Austin MN Faribilt MN, Dandridge TN or someplace in California.) Or the black bean turkey "chili: (it's a stew it has tomatoes) I.E. NOT Texas.. Texas chili doesn't have beans or tomatoes. Closest you will find in a can is called wolf and they make it both ways.? But hey, If your not from Texas, you don't know any better ?:P

It is irrelevant where the beans were canned (Texas is not Mexico, either...any more) since there is no place in Texas that I've ever been to which prepares its chili without beans. I've never known any family who has done so, either.

Maybe it is a ethnic thing? All of the people who include beans in the mix are all Black or Hispanic people who live in Southern Texas. I've seen White people mix in rice but only they tend to do that.

That has me wondering if this Microsoft acquisition of BGS will have a major impact on its corporate culture or if will it so much as affect their cafeteria menu.

one thing is perfectly clear to me, is confirmed here in this video, unfortunately German.
7.5 billion US dollars, for the purchase of Beth \ Zenimax was the biggest deal in human history.
and how does Microsoft get its money back, mainly through the GamePass, this currently only costs for the PC, 9.99 euros per month!
I don't know the height for an XBox console.
if all Microsoft games are only published via this GamePass in the future, then modding is over.
because games via GamePass are not purchased games, my son has been playing over a GamePass for some time and he didn't buy a game!

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, winny257 said:

one thing is perfectly clear to me, is confirmed here in this video, unfortunately German.
7.5 billion US dollars, for the purchase of Beth \ Zenimax was the biggest deal in human history.
and how does Microsoft get its money back, mainly through the GamePass, this currently only costs for the PC, 9.99 euros per month!
I don't know the height for an XBox console.
if all Microsoft games are only published via this GamePass in the future, then modding is over.
because games via GamePass are not purchased games, my son has been playing over a GamePass for some time and he didn't buy a game!

Reveal hidden contents

You are likely correct that Microsoft is purchasing these game studios to increase their penetration into the gaming market.  Origin is doing the same (started it a while ago) and likely others that I am not aware of currently has such a service. Gaming, Software etc is moving to a "service"  (I forgot Adobe is a service now with monthly subscriptions)  Microsoft already has Office as a subscription (which they push extremely hard as opposed to the purchased license.

9.99 isn't that bad of a price either if you are one that purchases 2~3 new titles a year with the current price for the top version.  For serious gamer it isn't a bad deal.  For those that just want a new selected game once in a while.. not so much. However, I believe you can still purchase those if you desire (from the MS store and Origin. Not 100% on the MS so correct me if I am wrong)  Likely reason your son has been using that service "for some time". 

As for modding however, I don't believe you are correct.  The subscription price only allows access to the game, not restrict the modding except if there is a policy that covers types of changes done to the game. (as some companies I believe have done .. again correct me if I am wrong. I don't follow this heavily)  If the game like Fallout NV is used.. then the game is able to be modded as I understand. The issue comes in when the developer doesn't give the tools to mod it AND the company forbids the modding of the game.  Otherwise, without tools it is very difficult to mod (look at Mass Effect, Witcher etc) It can be done but much more limited than Bethesda modded games.  If you are using a subscription service, then likely you are "calling in" quite often. Perhaps every time you activate the game (for statistical purposes of course... sarcasm in case you thought  was serious. They are just trying to gather as much personal data as possible. In the future they might even gather game play and choices into a data base for future games development.) With this "calling in" they can possibly see the changes you have done. If they have records (checksum) of mods that have been decided go against the EULA they can take action. This is the part of the issue with subscriptions as I see it.  If the company.. lets say Bethesda dev decides to continue with their release of mod tools then we can mod the game.. but... might not be able to have selected content added.  

I have said a few years ago that we should (as a  adult modding community) develop our own games so that the content can be continued. The tools are available, the info and resources are available (if not difficult to obtain) and the experience in many aspects of gaming and content creation is available (here)  There is already a game hosted here that has been created for this purpose.

It sucks or will suck if we can't mod the games 100% to the way we like.. or even at all.. but that is the future. We just have to accept the possibility and start thinking of alternatives.

38 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:
Spoiler

You are likely correct that Microsoft is purchasing these game studios to increase their penetration into the gaming market.  Origin is doing the same (started it a while ago) and likely others that I am not aware of currently has such a service. Gaming, Software etc is moving to a "service"  (I forgot Adobe is a service now with monthly subscriptions)  Microsoft already has Office as a subscription (which they push extremely hard as opposed to the purchased license.

9.99 isn't that bad of a price either if you are one that purchases 2~3 new titles a year with the current price for the top version.  For serious gamer it isn't a bad deal.  For those that just want a new selected game once in a while.. not so much. However, I believe you can still purchase those if you desire (from the MS store and Origin. Not 100% on the MS so correct me if I am wrong)  Likely reason your son has been using that service "for some time". 

As for modding however, I don't believe you are correct.  The subscription price only allows access to the game, not restrict the modding except if there is a policy that covers types of changes done to the game. (as some companies I believe have done .. again correct me if I am wrong. I don't follow this heavily)  If the game like Fallout NV is used.. then the game is able to be modded as I understand. The issue comes in when the developer doesn't give the tools to mod it AND the company forbids the modding of the game.  Otherwise, without tools it is very difficult to mod (look at Mass Effect, Witcher etc) It can be done but much more limited than Bethesda modded games.  If you are using a subscription service, then likely you are "calling in" quite often. Perhaps every time you activate the game (for statistical purposes of course... sarcasm in case you thought  was serious. They are just trying to gather as much personal data as possible. In the future they might even gather game play and choices into a data base for future games development.) With this "calling in" they can possibly see the changes you have done. If they have records (checksum) of mods that have been decided go against the EULA they can take action. This is the part of the issue with subscriptions as I see it.  If the company.. lets say Bethesda dev decides to continue with their release of mod tools then we can mod the game.. but... might not be able to have selected content added.  

I have said a few years ago that we should (as a  adult modding community) develop our own games so that the content can be continued. The tools are available, the info and resources are available (if not difficult to obtain) and the experience in many aspects of gaming and content creation is available (here)  There is already a game hosted here that has been created for this purpose.

It sucks or will suck if we can't mod the games 100% to the way we like.. or even at all.. but that is the future. We just have to accept the possibility and start thinking of alternatives.

no, who over a GamePass plays does not install these games on his PC.
More than 100 games are already available in the Microsoft GamePass, I do not know how it works, I only know that even the savegames are saved on Microsoft Cloud.
yes you can still buy the games, but I wonder how much longer! 
MS wants its money back, and as soon as possible, that is the quickest way over the pass!
The MS GamePass already has 15 million subscribers, if MS only increases the monthly fee by 1 euro, that's a profit of 15 million euros a month, now imagine MS increased 5 euros a month.
exactly so did Netflix, first low subscription to attract a lot of people, then the subscription was simply increased. :classic_wink:

46 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

That is true. Netflix did increase its cost over time. I also don't know much about GamePass but it sounds like a streaming service for games like Stadia. I could probably be okay with it, but I don't like the fact that I cannot keep a copy of it on my drive, and then being saddled with a monthly membership to be able to play it. Loans I can understand, you eventually pay them off if you so wish, but services like streaming is just not my kind of deal. Sure, you could argue that Steam operates much the same way, but Valve has told people, in the past, that in the event they ever "go under" they would make available all games with standalone executables. How true that is, I don't know. GoG is a safer bet, since you CAN download the executable and store it somewhere without it having to have "online access". Useful if you move around frequently or didn't have enough funds to pay your internet bill for a month or two.

yes, if you can no longer or do not want to pay for your subscription, then the gaming is over.
I will never get a GamePass acquire, I always buy my game pressed on a DVD.
if this is no longer possible, then Shit Happens i have so many good games which are worth playing over and over again.
I even have from gaming platforms the snout full, on GoG Galaxy am i angry.
new PC The Witcher 3 installed but not possible to play, GoG had the glorious idea to bring multiple gaming platforms together, including the Epic Game Store.
I have refused Epic to install on my PC, the reply from GoG, I violating the general terms and conditions! :classic_wink:

44 minutes ago, winny257 said:

new PC The Witcher 3 installed but not possible to play,

:classic_huh: Do I need GOGGalaxy to play TW3 ?

It isn't even running and I start and play the game as often as I like :classic_blink:

Or is it a one time registration thing?

(I can't remember, it's so long ago :classic_shy: