Worst COVID-19 scare, how close were you to getting infected?

33 minutes ago, gregathit said:

The problem is we know that the hospitals, who as 27X stated, have been listing car accident victims (among others) as covid deaths so they can collect the 5k the gov is paying out for that. 

*How* do we "know" this, exactly?

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/social-media-posts-make-baseless-claim-on-covid-19-death-toll/

Speculation isn't proof, and there doesn't appear to be any evidence of fraud.

20 minutes ago, endgameaddic†ion said:

Ok...I'm still waiting for evidence of the claim.
Again, speculation is not proof.  What evidence do we have that this is actually happening other than willfully ignoring that people many times have licenses to perform their jobs and are likely to lose those licenses if they're found committing fraud (and so would be throwing their careers in the trash...for $5k that goes to the hospital, not to them)?

3 minutes ago, Tyrant99 said:

But, in any case, we have a virus that has only been around for only a few months, it's infected a much smaller % than people (so far) compared to those who get infected with the flu during a typical flu season, and it already has a higher death toll than the worst flu season on record. - There's also, unlike the flu, there's no vaccine and no natural herd immunity, and having infected only a small % of the population, it is also just getting started in terms of its overall effect.

So yeah, I get that there's plenty of misinformation being spun and lots of asshats in politics and on TV. But the whole 'pandemic isn't dangerous' because of ______________ (insert dubious rationalization or conspiracy theory) seems kind of silly to me.

The only thing that comforts me at all is that the science-deniers are more likely to be infected than the folks who are taking this seriously.  With any luck, after they or someone they know catch it, they'll finally grasp the danger and get onboard.

5 hours ago, Yami X said:

Yes

Back in June I tested positive for the Rona what did I have though..... simple flu like symptoms or cold like symptoms but that was enough for the fam to freak out over.

Did you have a CT Scan of your lungs recently, i.e. after being released from Hospital? If you did have one, did it show any damage?

37 minutes ago, Eadoo said:

The only thing that comforts me at all is that the science-deniers are more likely to be infected than the folks who are taking this seriously.  With any luck, after they or someone they know catch it, they'll finally grasp the danger and get onboard.

Could't have said it better myself honestly.

I think the important point that some may be missing, regardless of whatever the actual numbers are, is that the *flu* doesn't typically kill people. Yes. People *can* and sometimes *do* die from it. But 140,000 people in 5 months? 34,000ish was the number for the entire 2018-19 flu season. It's mid-July, and this shit is STILL killing people.

Based on that number alone, and how far out from the flu season we are, it's pretty obvious that Covid-19 is a FAR more effective and efficient killer.

Hearing that FOX bimbo press secretary say that "the science shouldn't keep kids out of school" today was just fucking scary. And sheer fucking stupidity. If you don't have kids, I'll excuse your lack of understanding.

Trykz

54 minutes ago, Tyrant99 said:

Well, let's see, 136,938 deaths out of 3,483,832 cases = 3.93% death rate (per CDC numbers). Flu death rate is typically about 0.1% or 39.3x lower.

3,483,832 is about 1.056% of US population (329,963,596), so you could say that this virus hasn't exactly permeated the US population yet, only about 1/100.

Dude.  Really?  There is NO WAY that anyone knows the exact number of people that have had the virus.  NO WAY.  I've seen estimates that say 10 times the number of reported cases have actually had it.  Even if you just double the cases the percent shrinks.  You can't arrive at a percentage when you don't have a clue what the infection rate is.  All we do know is that the virus isn't anywhere near as deadly to normal healthy folks that are under 60.  Anything else is a guess. 

As to your math, take out the 40k elderly deaths from horrible decision making and now you are in the 90k range.  90k divided by double the reported rate (7mill) is 1.2%.  Sure that is high, but it could be half that or less depending on how many folks have actually had covid.  Time will tell.  The only thing we do know is that we shut down our economies for nothing.

3 hours ago, Yami X said:

Let's not waste anymore time here it's okay to disagree with me I promise you I don't really care what you believe is solely up to you.

3 hours ago, Yami X said:

Yup.....hence the term TBD listen if you just wanna argue I'm afraid you'll be disappointed friend.

In other words you have absolutely no evidence to back up what you wrote.

4 minutes ago, gregathit said:

The only thing we do know is that we shut down our economies for nothing.

I was with until this part. Do you think that without lockdown the figures would be less, the same or more? Surely the main rationale behind lockdown was to try to contain, restrict the spread and keep down the number of infections as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Trykz said:

I think the important point that some may be missing, regardless of whatever the actual numbers are, is that the *flu* doesn't typically kill people. Yes. People *can* and sometimes *do* die from it. But 140,000 people in 5 months? 34,000ish was the number for the entire 2018-19 flu season. It's mid-July, and this shit is STILL killing people.

Based on that number alone, and how far out from the flu season we are, it's pretty obvious that Covid-19 is a FAR more effective and efficient killer.

Hearing that FOX bimbo press secretary say that "the science shouldn't keep kids out of school" today was just fucking scary. And sheer fucking stupidity. If you don't have kids, I'll excuse your lack of understanding.

Trykz

Would you just fucking stop.  Seriously.  YES the fucking flu does kill people.  NO, you are not giving anything near accurate fucking numbers.  How fucking hard is it to look the shit up?

80,000 died of the flue in 2018:  https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

Of course that is nothing compared to the flu deaths in 1918, which were around 500k.

As to science, I'm the one quoting it.  Find me the science that says doing what we are doing is helping.  Find me the science that says masks do jack shit.  It isn't there.  I've read dozens of articles on it.  Wear a tin foil hat if you want, I'm not going to do it.  If you are going to wear a mask, then you MUST wear an N95 RESPIRATOR or better and it MUST fit tightly to your face.  There is a whole protocol on how to accomplish this.  Is the general public doing that?  Of course not, so they are just wasting their time with a placebo.  Take a sugar pill if you like to cure your headache.  Me, I'm going to wait for the actual science and real numbers.  We know that we have been lied to (don't wear masks, now do).  We know that it isn't as bad as they said (were supposed to have several million dead by now).  We know that the whole thing has been politicized and is a power grab by politicians.  

As to school, the death rate among kids is so ridiculously low that there is ZERO science that says we should not open schools.  Zero.  However the damage your kid suffers from the lack of education just can't be measured.  Especially among the poor.  And who is going to stay with those kids at home?  Most folks need school as both (or the only) parent is working during that time.  Logic and reason need to kick in here.  According to this article, more kids will drown than will die of covid:  https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/07/14/coronavirus-covid-deaths-among-children-and-reopening-schools-14909

Look, I'm sorry if I seem to be attacking you.  I'm not.  I'm just sick and tired of the BS.  The media, the politics, the good intentioned but horribly ignorant folks running around repeating shit that they don't understand.  I am just tired of hearing we are in a pandemic.  We aren't.  We never have been.

39 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

I was with until this part. Do you think that without lockdown the figures would be less, the same or more? Surely the main rationale behind lockdown was to try to contain, restrict the spread and keep down the number of infections as much as possible.

The point of the lock downs was to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed.  This never happened.  We never even came close.  Remember the President sending the hospital ships to New York and LA.  They weren't used.  At all.  Remember New York's governor screaming for ventilators........he never came close to running out.  And that was before the President sent him a bunch.  They sat in a warehouse and he finally released them to send elsewhere.  These are all facts that you can look up.  Hospitals have been laying folks off because they have no patients.  With the lifting of the lock down, folks are finally able to go back and get elective surgeries, so they are starting to recoup their losses and start to hire those they laid off.  How many people died or will die because their surgery was termed "elective" when it was anything but.  We may never know.

To answer your question, if we had not shut down, or done just a very, very limited shutdown say of sporting events, concerts and other huge mass gatherings, we would be exactly where we are today in terms of deaths in my opinion (take that for what it is worth).  Case count most likely would have been higher, but who cares about that.  I have had the flu over a dozen times in my life.  I'm still kicking.

FYI.  Sweden never shut down and neither did South Dekota, so there is something to look at in terms of this.

8 minutes ago, endgameaddic†ion said:

I don't see anywhere in there the claim that every medical expert is a liar, but rather every medical expert is capable of lying. To think that isn't true, I don't know what to tell you. And yes, there have been "medical experts" lying.

The implication of your statement was that medical experts were lying. My response was to imply that for your statement to be true then medical experts all around the world would have to be lying.

I have no problem with the concept of individual medicos lying or even a particular medical institute doing so.

10 minutes ago, gregathit said:

The point of the lock downs was to keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed.  This never happened. 

Because the spread of the virus was restrained by lockdown. If, without lockdown, the number of infected people had run riot then the hospitals would have come under more strain. Without lockdown this virus spread across the world in very short order.

22 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Because the spread of the virus was restrained by lockdown. If, without lockdown, the number of infected people had run riot then the hospitals would have come under more strain. Without lockdown this virus spread across the world in very short order.

There simply is zero proof of this.  Zero.  Did it happen in Sweden?  Did it happen in South Dekota?  Again, I'm willing to believe the science and the statistics.  There just aren't any that say the doom and gloom of the predictions were right.  Hell, they weren't even close.  Remember, there were supposed to be millions dead at this point.  I think this is both a power grab and that everyone is scared to admit they were wrong.  It is an election year on top of that and no one wants to be tared with having killed a bunch of Americans or conversely having put millions out of work and wrecked the economy.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  With the statistics I've seen, there just is no reason at this point not to get back to living life.  If folks want to hide in their homes, I'm fine with that.  I'm going fishing.  I'll send some pictures.  :)

8 hours ago, gregathit said:

As to school, the death rate among kids is so ridiculously low that there is ZERO science that says we should not open schools.

Admittedly, I should have read further into the CDC document I found that info on. Having gone back and read it further, I found the 80k number you noted. However, that's still 50k LESS than the currently climbing Covid count. And again, we're in mid-July. WELL OUT of the typical flu season. And just today, Florida reported that nearly ONE THIRD of the children they've tested in the state have come back positive for Covid (over 7,000 kids 18 and under). I think I'd rather follow the path of caution when it comes to my own grandchild, who just happens to currently live..... in Florida.

My daughter is an adult. And I respect the choices that she makes for herself. She chose to stay in Florida when we left. But thankfully, even SHE doesn't want my 10 year old granddaughter starting school next month. At least not in Florida. And I don't blame her. However, it may already be too late for her to send her up to us in New York to attend school here. Because she's currently awaiting the results of her own Covid test. She thinks she might have contracted it at work. Unfortunately, LabCorp is saying they have a 2-3 week backlog ?

Trykz

3 hours ago, Trykz said:

I think I'd rather follow the path of caution when it comes to my own grandchild, who just happens to currently live..... in Florida.

I can respect that completely.  Every individual should have that right.  That is what I am am advocating for.  The rights of the individual.  I want the facts (where they are known) to be given to us unfiltered so we, the people, can make the choice that we are most comfortable with.  I have zero trust in the media or politicians or the so called "group of experts".  I would and do trust my doctor and will follow what he says I should do.  Since he is a fact based guy and quite blunt (birds of a feather and all that) it works quite nicely.

I hope your situation works out to be what is best for you and your family.  As we grow older we realize that family is the most important thing that there is.

2 hours ago, Tyrant99 said:

Kids of course do have low risk, but then, they don't exactly live in bubbles... They have parents, and grandparents, and other higher risk individuals around them that they'll be passing the disease on to.

In any case, the cat's out of the bag in the States, we're routinely putting up 70k+ new cases per day now, so there's no real stopping it at this stage.

It probably was a mistake to shut down the economy as there was never really a chance in the States to respond to the spread of the disease as effectively as many other Countries managed to do. The politics and policies are all over the place and we're so ideologically fractured that we might as well be schizophrenic as a society. - If you expect a cohesive or consistent response out of this, then I have a bridge to sell you. I suppose that we should feel lucky that the disease isn't in fact 10x deadlier than it is because we would be just as fucked, but a lot more dead...

So, 3.5 million confirmed cases per CDC and 137k deaths, that's about 1% of US population. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that it's actually 10x higher than that, so 35 million or so have been infected, - around 10% of the population. - What's to stop it from getting to a large portion of the other 300 million? Highly infectious, no vaccine, no immunity, etc. Lots of models predict a 60-70% infection rate.

What happens when 10s of millions or even 100s of millions of Americans catch this thing? Even at a 1% kill rate, you can do the math.

I do believe that we'll get to find out, calling a spade a spade, I think that we'll be running this experiment in full.

What I want to see is us dealing with this using common sense, logic and science.  We know it is devastating to those who are elderly.  We know it is devastating to those with underlying conditions.  So let's come up with policies and procedures to protect them.  The workers in the elder care industry need to be properly outfitted and trained so that they are safe to do their jobs while protecting the elderly.  Cancel personal visits to them for a while.  Set up video chats instead with their loved ones so they don't feel abandoned.  There are practical things we can and should do to protect those that need the protection.  Stop fucking with those of us that don't need that protection.  Why the fuck are the beaches closed in California?  What possible good is that doing?  

Sadly, as you stated, we are so fractured as a country right now with the elections coming up and all the spin, that logic and reason seem to be completely absent.  It breaks my heart to see us as a country behave this badly.  As you said, we are going to see what comes from this and hopefully it will result in both stability and a return to normal for our country.

13 hours ago, gregathit said:

I am just tired of hearing we are in a pandemic

I'm still wondering if they'll make the vaccine mandatory. If so, I might be going to jail and/or paying a steep fine. Wouldn't be the first time. I'm leaning towards your thinking on this, but without more to go on, just can't be sure of anything right now. Of course that's prolly very intentional and I've never fully trusted any kind of media news or statements from supposed "experts".

3 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I'm still wondering if they'll make the vaccine mandatory. If so, I might be going to jail or paying a steep fine. Wouldn't be the first time. I'm leaning towards your thinking on this, but without more to go on, just can't be sure of anything right now. Of course that's prolly very intentional.

Again, keep in mind that even if they do make a vaccine, and even if they require that folks get it, you still won't be immune.  Not only that, if the virus mutates (which they ALL do) then the vaccine would be worthless.  I personally don't think you have anything to worry about.  The cost to vaccinate 300+ million people would be so steep that they won't be able to get funding for it.  Also, it is worth noting, virus vaccines generally consist of giving you the virus either in a weakened or dead state.  What insane person is going to force the elderly or those with underlying conditions to take that.  Only a mass murdered is who.

@Trykz

How are COVID-19 samples tested there? RT-PCR? Think it's a yes, since you said of the 2-3 week backlog. My results came almost after a week of giving my swabs. If it's possible, tell you daughter to get a CT scan of her lungs done. At least, the result will be within 10-15 minutes.

1 hour ago, gregathit said:

Again, keep in mind that even if they do make a vaccine, and even if they require that folks get it, you still won't be immune.  Not only that, if the virus mutates (which they ALL do) then the vaccine would be worthless.  I personally don't think you have anything to worry about.  The cost to vaccinate 300+ million people would be so steep that they won't be able to get funding for it.  Also, it is worth noting, virus vaccines generally consist of giving you the virus either in a weakened or dead state.  What insane person is going to force the elderly or those with underlying conditions to take that.  Only a mass murdered is who.

To further support you're views on this, I read a report from some supposed "experts"- it stated that one group of people at higher risk for complications with covid are those that have chronic, untreated hypertension. To which I say "duh" as those people are at higher risk for complications from ANY illness.

54 minutes ago, Heroine of the Night said:

Not according to the polls.

Depends on whom those "experts" are actually working for and whether you like their story better. Personally, I love a doctor that keeps telling me I'm in good physical condition and have nothing to worry about. :thumbsup: