Your Most Satisfying Moments in a Video Game

Witcher3; killing Imlerith.  Not so much because he's a douche (he is) but because his boss fight was a real bitch.  He won't telegraph his attacks while he uses the mace and shield combo and he won't drop the shield until his health is down by a third.  Then he changes tactics and starts teleporting around and chaining power attacks.  If he misses three times then he has to pause for a breather.  The guy in this video makes it look easy...it isn't.

The original Deus Ex. Standing upstairs at the Lucky Money Club in Hong Kong, and arguing politics with the bartender. Not because I needed to do it to advance the mission, but just because the conversation was interesting.

1 hour ago, Kendo 2 said:

Witcher3; killing Imlerith.  Not so much because he's a douche (he is) but because his boss fight was a real bitch.  He won't telegraph his attacks while he uses the mace and shield combo and he won't drop the shield until his health is down by a third.  Then he changes tactics and starts teleporting around and chaining power attacks.  If he misses three times then he has to pause for a breather.  The guy in this video makes it look easy...it isn't.

A proper boss to battle. So few games have one. 

serious sam (the original ones), i played a online co-op game within split screen multiplayer....and played as both players at the same time (player 1 & 2 mapped to the same keys)......it worked out extremely well since i was technically dual wielding miniguns and sniper rifles :naughty:

Being able to clear the second quest of Castlevania 3 with any character team. Think the medusa heads from classic Castlevania games were annoying? Trying dealing with the bouncing skull heads that replace them in CV3's second quest playthrough. That was when I was a teen though. I'd have to practice my ass off to get to that level of skill again, being about the only way to do it is to learn to never get hit.

Clearing the second quest of the original Zelda was also very satisfying. Yeah, I'm into old shit.

8 hours ago, 27X said:

Cursed Dragons have a 75% to dragon forge, the forest drake has a 35%.

BBI is where you should be.

Save those for later in the game when the drake chances to dragon forge items is gone. Think the chance drops the higher your level.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Save those for later in the game when the drake chances to dragon forge items is gone. Think the chance drops the higher your level.

Nah. Forging chances are static. The only thing that increases it is enhancement  level, which is why people like CDs, the 75% is regardless of enhancement level,  basically making them forging engines you also get a level up out of.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Most of the battles are very challenging.

FFT is a funny game in a way. If you don't know how the internal systems (horoscopes, bravery etc.) work, it can be a bit challenging but if you do know how they work, you can just break the whole game completely. Ramza can max out everyone's bravery permanently by spamming a free skill while final enemy runs away for example.

There's some stupidly OP job synergies there too. You'd think a samurai would be best at using their job command, draw, right? Nope, it's the black mages who can break the game with it by teleporting into middle of enemies and oneshotting everyone with AOE since it scales with magic.

And that's not even going into absolutely broken items you can get from rare poaching enemies. There's an female exclusive accessory that gives you permanent reraise so a character with that is practically immortal and you can't lose a battle by dying anymore.

Heck, the game even throws an completely broken character at you as part of story. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has played it knows that Orlandu invalidates every other character in the game.

That Wiegraf duel is pretty infamous for softlocking a lot of players by offering a save location before it and being pretty much unbeatable if your Ramza sucks. Same as the Elmdore roof fight which you can lose without ever getting a turn if the stars align the wrong way.

1 hour ago, 27X said:

Nah. Forging chances are static. The only thing that increases it is enhancement  level, which is why people like CDs, the 75% is regardless of enhancement level,  basically making them forging engines you also get a level up out of.

Seems to be some scaling percentage going on since even a Cursed Dragon stops dragon-forging items after about level 150 or so. Uninstalled atm so I can't check tbs.

1 hour ago, ASlySpyDuo said:

And that's not even going into absolutely broken items you can get from rare poaching enemies. There's an female exclusive accessory that gives you permanent reraise so a character with that is practically immortal and you can't lose a battle by dying anymore.

There's a dungeon where you can get a lot of cheat items. My fave build was a Calculator that could cast the death spell on multiple enemies on the field- it worked on everything and most failed their saving role, lol.

Nah. It's a flat 75% chance, and level has literally nothing to do with it. 75 is not 100. The only 100s are Ur and Grigori. While other dragonkin can get to differing percentages via their base forging value + your level of enahncement, CDs are a flat 75, regardless of any enhancements, hence being the go to forging pinatas.

Successfully loading any game into my ZX Spectrum, it normally took so long that there was no time for gameplay afterwards.

Finally manually docking in Elite without totalling my ship.

yep im so old imoff to put a blanket and hot water bottle on my lap and hurl abuse at everyone.

Finding out people were making adult mods for games so I could have the best of both worlds. Which brings me here today.

If you've been gaming as long as I have, then you know many developers have been trying to titillate players for the longest time, but obviously can't go all the way. Looking back at the GTA 'Hot Coffee' fiasco proves my point - all the outrage, as tame as that was....

Now we seem to be able to cater to most every known desire and I feel gaming is all the better for it. It's a good time to be alive regardless of everything else. I can sit down and perv out, or go smash heads and lay waste without having to swap games or skip a beat.

The satisfaction continues, like a good marriage.

When I first interacted with my creature in Black and White 1

When the Vortigaunts saved Freeman from the GMan

When my first pokemon evolved in Red

When the minions in Overlord put on pumpkins as helmets

Every moment playing Morrowind

Playing in a team of hunters in WOW obtaining the rarest of pets together

Rolling through missions in Fallout Tactics (The good one) with my handpicked team

Just over a thousand hours spent playing Age of Empires 2 with my brothers

10 hours ago, endgameaddic†ion said:

Fallout 3 - When I redid The Pitt choosing the other outcome. The one where you save the baby and leave the slaves to their fate. I used to just save the slaves to burn through the DLC and move on to the next because I felt at the time that was the right thing to do. What I learned from that DLC is that no matter what outcome you pick, you're still a piece of shit human being. There's really no happy ending and that's what I like about it. The DLC doesn't treat you like some superhero. You just move on and think to yourself whether you made the right choice or not.

I always side with Ashur because I like his wife- I actually prettied her up and steal her to go adventuring. But, I also side with him because he has a vision and explains that- as distasteful as slavery may be- it is completely necessary for the prosperity of the whole community for a time. Whether he actually frees everyone when they get a cure is another story. I like to imagine that if he doesn't keep his promise, then the kid from 101 is going to come back and start kicking some serious ass.

That's actually one of my fave dlcs from any game. Getting every piece of steel from the trainyard and winning those fights for your freedom without cheating is very satisfying.

Half Life Episode Two. When coming up from the beach to Nova Prospekt, there is a cliff where you can enter the prison via a drain pipe. A fast zombie is waiting to charge at the player as soon as you get close to the entrance, but in this case I just side stepped at the last second and the damn thing just continued running and literally flew off from the face of the cliff. It was the most spectacular jump I saw in a game, complete with a long mutant scream.

9 hours ago, endgameaddic†ion said:

The Pitt was my least favorite until I tried the other outcome. That one instance when I turned my back on Wernher. That moved Point Lookout to being in 2nd place.

Dead Money was my next fave. Something about being stripped of all your gear and being left to try and survive in a new, dangerous environment that really appeals to me. AND hauling all that gold out of the vault without cheating is a real challenge! I did it a couple of times. Reminds me of games like the older RE. The difference is that it makes you think since these people aren't your typical villains- their motivations are (somewhat) understandable. You are given the chance to discover more of their story as you go along and form your own opinion and ultimately judge them.

One from Morrowind: Standing waist deep in molten lava and slugging it out, hand to hand, with Dagoth Ur while Akulakhan gazed sternly down from above.

It was a a run where I'd been blatantly abusing alchemy, I'll make no bones about it. In fact, the sole point of that run was to see if I could fly to Dagoth Ur at level 2 or so and kill the Heart, bare handed, and without any of Kagrenac's Tools. That doesn't make that particular moment any less satisfying, however.