KoolHndLuke

Your Most Satisfying Moments in a Video Game

Crowd roaring...., Music blaring....,Heart thumping...., the moment of truth has arrived!

I think gamers get too caught up in the "muck" that is having the clever name or the best equipment or the best looking char and forget what gaming is all about.

I remember games like KOTOR and the final showdown with Malak, when- even after milking the game for every once of experience- the fight was a hard battle that went back and forth until I finally emerged victorious. I remember leading my team in Madden- that I built under the cap along with questionable trades- go on to become world champion, culminating with the final drive in the championship game in OT. I remember performing a 20+ combo attack in a fighting game that made me giddy and could never do it again. I remember building the ultimate assault rifle that mowed down enemies after slogging through levels with pansy-ass weapons in Dead Space.

What are your most satisfying moments in a video game?

My most Satisfying moments all come from Online games.

Quake 2 - Multiple Aimbot accusations when playing on a dial-up connection on public servers.

EverQuest - Wanted to relocate my low level Dark Elf character to Qeynos. As I didn't have the 10plat for a port, this meant a running through the zones of:-

Nektolus Forest, East Commonlands, West Commanlands, Kithicor Forest (first attempt got there at night, died, lost my corpse) High Hold Pass, East Karana, North Karana, West Karana and finally Qeynos Hills and Qeynos. On every zoneline just hoping that no one had pulled a train to that point that I would appear in the middle of and die, again.
After my Corpse loss I was bailed out by a kindly player with some low level gear and 5pp! Not enough to get me a port but enough for to tip a Druid for movement buff (SoW)

I've not experienced that sort of adventure in an MMO since. Had lots of great game play moments in EQ but the ones that stick with me (and my friends) are really small, trivial things. Helping or being helped by other players with Corpse finding/summoning. Heals, buffs, breaking up Trains. Things that were done for no other reward or XP than a thank you.

EQ for all it's faults (and it had a lot) was hard but rewarding. Not just for the "press the button enough and a peanut will drop" but that players had to work together and were happy to.

RTCW II Multiplayer 2001

My first rush with 16 Soldiers over the Beach and Hans get ze Flammenwerfer in the Bunker.

That's a tough call since there are so many of such moments, both big and small as well as purely gameplay related moments and heavily plotted role play moments. 

I suppose that it would be fitting considering what site we're on now to say that the most satisfying moment is when a mod load out just clicks and nothing is out of place, allowing one to just play the game, experiencing both the content designed by the game's developers or the story based mods alike without a hitch as intended.

There was this one time in TTW when I came across something like 5 or 6 factions fighting it out around Kaelyn's B&B- about 4 raiders, 3 Talon mercs, 2 Enclave with a pet Deathclaw, Doc Hoff and his guard, me and two followers, and also a couple of dogs. That was as much fun to watch as it was to play and it turned into one hell of a shitstorm thanks to my rocket launcher and bad aim. 

I've had similar moments in Skyrim. Though, none with that many factions at once. I wish the games could handle many more npcs at once- that would be mayhem! With all the modded behavior, weapons and spells available in Skyrim, every encounter is potentially art.

Beating the final boss fight (The Lich King) in Ice Crown Citadel in WOW in five man Heroic difficulty.  The fact that I was playing a female dwarven healing paladin (complete with spinning pigtails) made it all the more satisfying because that class is very difficult to play as an "on the move healer"

Bayonetta - Infinite Climax

This difficulty takes the training wheels off. Tougher enemy spawns right from the get go and disabled witch time on dodge, faster attack patterns and more incoming damage. Really felt like a pro when I beat it, sweaty hands and heart racing, especially during every boss fight that take away from the cheesy J-Pop in favor of classic orchestral stuff, hell and damnation and all. Final boss theme is a 7 1/2 minute magnum opus that just fits.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - River of Souls

Although it's not too difficult, I oneshot the whole section as if I was in a trance. Setting, music (THE MUSIC!), the flow of combat... wow, just wow. Most satisfying moment in games in years.

Do yourself a favor and play the game instead of getting spoiled by a video.

New Vegas - Bounties III

After surviving the confrontation with Marko and being dug out of that grave again, I donned my Enclave Power Armor and the CZ Avenger, then heading over to the saloon. Walking in, a few surprised bandits looking up from the drink as heavy footfalls and the barrels began to spin, then a steady flow of bullets transforming the saloon in a place of sheer horror and destruction with screams, blood, guts, wood splinters, liqour and lead flying everywhere as the helpless prey tried to take me out with their puny weapons that just trickled off of the armor. Had to experience it with Jet / Bullettime, only leaving the final traitor cowering in the back's bathroom. Fitting end.

Felt so awesome.

Mass Effect 3 - Killing K.L. for the first time

Bastard got what he deserved. Game still has some of my favorite set pieces of all time. Enjoy the Worm/Reaper fight on a fitting surround scape and be in awe of how great it actually feels.

Life is Strange

Not a badass moment, but the end of various episodes really left me in tears. Final episode, I instantly made a decision that I had to think of over the coming 2 weeks after I finished the game. Brilliant title, just not a bad ass moment.

Definitely agree with Hellblade and Life is Strange ^ If they click for you, there are so many fantastic moments in those games.

As for my most satisfying, it's a really difficult question to answer. I could probably think of quite a few with enough time, but there was a recent one that had me grinning from ear to ear. I've started playing Fallout 4 again for the first time in a few years. The game certainly has its problems, and gets plenty of criticism, but Fallout does tend to offer the kind of experiences that few, if any, other series do.

I was approaching a train station infested with feral ghouls. I shot the first one from distance with my laser musket, then gunned down his friend as he rushed me. That drew the attention of a large pack of them hanging out on the platform, but they didn't know where I was and were grouped together in a tempting target. So, I threw a Molotov into their midsts. Cue a massive fireball, a gas tank rocketing up into the stratosphere, the immensely satisfying sound of limbs exploding, and a single survivor shambling around the corner, somehow dragging his severed arms behind him. Then I shot both his legs off in slow motion courtesy of VATS. All of this happened to the accompaniment of Ride of the Valkyries on the pip-boy radio, and was topped off by my character's ecstatic moans as she achieved orgasm from the kill thanks to my personal edit of Idiot Slut. Just bloody glorious.

I was playing Mech Commander by Micro Prose 

I got to the one mission where you are supposed to secure a bridge that was the only bridge to connect two halves of this city map. As soon as my first mech crossed the bridge it blew up. Right after that I got a message that our base was under attack. I rushed to defend (down my best mech and pilot) only to find a heavy lance assaulting the base with tank support. 

It was looking bad until out of know where (actually it came from off the screen on the left side) two volleys of missiles slammed into the enemies lead mech followed by two PPC blasts, the enemy mech (an Awesome) blew up, and over the com I heard, "This is Lynx!" (which is what that pilot always says, in fact so much so it was kind of annoying but not this time!) as Lynx and his Madcat came bounding into view. He had run all the way around the side of the map to make it to the fight just in time. 

Truly an epic moment in video games. ☺️

Some of my most satisfying gaming moments involve defeating superbosses in JRPG's. Superbosses such as: Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts I & II, one-hit-killing Omega Weapon in Final Fantasy VIII with Selphie's limit break, "The End", and soloing against the Reaper, Elizabeth, Margaret and the Warden Twins in the Persona series on the highest difficulty.

Beating Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne also gets an honorable mention, due to the many, many times I died in that game.

Would I do it again?  I would need a lot of motivation, first.

On 5/8/2020 at 12:51 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

Crowd roaring...., Music blaring....,Heart thumping...., the moment of truth has arrived!

I think gamers get too caught up in the "muck" that is having the clever name or the best equipment or the best looking char and forget what gaming is all about.

I remember games like KOTOR and the final showdown with Malak, when- even after milking the game for every once of experience- the fight was a hard battle that went back and forth until I finally emerged victorious. I remember leading my team in Madden- that I built under the cap along with questionable trades- go on to become world champion, culminating with the final drive in the championship game in OT. I remember performing a 20+ combo attack in a fighting game that made me giddy and could never do it again. I remember building the ultimate assault rifle that mowed down enemies after slogging through levels with pansy-ass weapons in Dead Space.

What are your most satisfying moments in a video game?

My most satisfying was when you had the revelation in KOTOR (I) Who and what you were. 

Normally I see foreshadowing  events and am seldom surprised. This not only shocked me but I had little clue what was going on. What made it so great was the flash back showing all the events and why .... Brilliant writing.

When something excites me, surprises me, makes my heart pump when I least expect it to is special.

When I got the rank of Big Boss on Metal Gear Solid 4. This isn't my screenshot just using it as reference. Was quite difficult.

Just earned the Big Boss Emblem in MGS4 for the first time ...

19 minutes ago, Molevalence said:

Metal Gear Solid 4.

I really liked MGS5 despite the fact that it wasn't finished. There was this one base you have to get into towards the end and you really have to use everything you've learned and every tool at your disposal to hope for success on the highest difficulty or you'll be torn to pieces in no time. Hours later, my nerves are a wreck and I need to do things, but I'll be damned if I'm abandoning the mission. If you are patient, you can make it all the way into the base and not get caught. I'm not patient, lol.

49 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

My most satisfying was when you had the revelation in KOTOR (I) Who and what you were. 

HK-47 cracked me up all the time. He fuckin made me turn to dark side, lol.

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

HK-47 cracked me up all the time. He fuckin made me turn to dark side, lol.

He was terrific.  I loved him as a companion both when I was being good and when I was being bad...

that game was great at making your choices actually really count. 

Thinking about it, but I can't decide on THE no.1  🤔

Fairly high up on my list is "getting rid of an asshole". The witcher series is quite well positioned in that category, even if it's most often not the player to get that special moment of fun. :classic_happy:

E.g. 👇

Spoiler

Im old as fuck so i have probably shitload of things like that.

Two most satysfing moment had to be :

I grabbed the Sun Sigil in Final Fantasy X in a SECOND RACE EVER.

For those who dont know what i mean - in Final Fantasy X there was notoriously hard as balls unique item to get that was required to upgrade Tidus best sword. It could be won as a reward in a Chocobo Obstacle Course/Race where you had to not only run against the clock but also against other rider. Steering was awful, every obstacle you smashed into added shitload of time and to get the actual item you not only had to win the race but you had to do it so fast that the time had to be 00.00 or even less ( there were some obstacles that actually removed some time from the timer ). It was one of those parts of the game that people tried to do for several weeks or even months and required absolute laser precision akin to serious speedruns. And i got it on my second try and i didnt even know what it was until like two months later ( pre internet era after all)...

And something even older - I was playing Sid Meier Pirates on C64 and went with 32 men in a Sloop with no guns against fully armed Spanish War Galleon, boarded it and actually won a fight against enemy captain. War Galleon had something like 300-400 crewmen, my guys died in like two seconds and my crew morale sunk to the absolute worst. At this point enemy captain required something like 10-20 hits while i was a onehitkill. And i actually managed to beat him...and i was fucking 10 at that point. Coming to think about it my entire experience with that game was Moment of Awesome - i never had any manual so i always failed the initial governor question ( cleverly implemented copy protection ) and was stuck in "unwinable" scenario of starting with no guns, shittiest little ship, no money and minimal crew.. And i actually managed to play that game absolutely fine for years.

6 hours ago, worik said:

Thinking about it, but I can't decide on THE no.1  🤔

Fairly high up on my list is "getting rid of an asshole". The witcher series is quite well positioned in that category, even if it's most often not the player to get that special moment of fun. :classic_happy:

Also in Witcher 3. Leaving Whoreson Junior alive gave me great enjoyment when I found him again later. How are the mighty fallen.

12 minutes ago, Slorm said:

Also in Witcher 3. Leaving Whoreson Junior alive gave me great enjoyment when I found him again later. How are the mighty fallen.

I need to find a spoiler video for that.

I've never been able to step beyond my shadow and let him out there alive :classic_laugh:

That outcome is completely unkown ...

1 minute ago, worik said:

I need to find a spoiler video for that.

I've never been able to step beyond my shadow and let him out there alive :classic_laugh:

Yes it's hard but worth it :classic_smile:

58 minutes ago, Slorm said:

Yes it's hard but worth it :classic_smile:

Found a video.

Who told that thing about "innocent children"? :classic_laugh:

Spoiler

But compared to slicing him up in his own butcher bedroom this comes second 😈

fallout new vegas... lvl10 speech check to end the game

In order of fond memories:

- Defeating Sephiroth for the 1st time in Kingdom Hearts 1

- Many moments in both KotOR 1 & KotOR 2, but beating KotOR 2 felt extremely satisfying

- Pretty much every single playthrough of MGS3 & finding out something new every time

- Not defeating, but just talking to Dagoth Ur

- Beating Grandia 2 and seeing the epilogue to that game

9 hours ago, snacksinmoonlight said:

In order of fond memories:

- Defeating Sephiroth for the 1st time in Kingdom Hearts 1

- Many moments in both KotOR 1 & KotOR 2, but beating KotOR 2 felt extremely satisfying

- Pretty much every single playthrough of MGS3 & finding out something new every time

- Not defeating, but just talking to Dagoth Ur

- Beating Grandia 2 and seeing the epilogue to that game

I agree on Grandia's ending, it's pretty satisfying. I found the final bosses underwhelming however, after finding out you could cheese them with Millenia.

Beating these several thousand  enemy slaughter maps in Doom 2 is always pretty cool  :classic_cool:

Spoiler

Also beat Doom Eternal on Nightmare, but that was more a test of patience since due to it's mechanics you always have infinite resources. Though i'll admit Ultra-Nightmare would take some damn great skills (same as Nightmare difficulty, but the game is over if you die).