Your Most Satisfying Moments in a Video Game

My most satisfying moment of all time in a video game was completing my first Call of Duty game, which was CoD4: Modern Warfare. Funny thing is, I owned that game on a 15" 2008 Macbook Pro, got it off the app store (unexpected, I know).

The thing that I remember the most specifically during the campaign was the fact that the prone part at the Church in the Pripyat level, "All Ghillied Up" (13th mission, quite ironic now that I think about it) was unnecessarily difficult. Apparently, I didn't realize that hiding in the bushes on the same side as the Russian soldiers, who were marching past the church walls, wasn't enough to not be noticed, and whenever I was able to pass them, that annoying Mi-24 would spot me and then shoot me to smithereens. It took me about 15-20 tries to actually make it to the next checkpoint. I don't think about that game much anymore, don't even have the computer that I completed the campaign it on anymore (it broke a few years later, fell on hard wood floor, would've been obsolete by 11 years anyway..) Still, I think that finishing CoD4 was my most satisfying video game moment of all time. It's been 10 years, and it still has yet to be surpassed.

Here are the runner-ups:

1. Shooting down a helicopter with an M79 [as Blue Army, during the 2018 Christmas Event "Green Army Men: Christmas Special"] (Rising Storm 2: Vietnam)
  2. Surviving a Huey crash with both pilots dead [as US Army, mid-game '67] (Rising Storm 2: Vietnam)
  3. Being ranked in the Global Top 2% for 'Industry: Cheese Exports' on NationStates [Not giving my nation's name for privacy reasons] (NationStates)
  4. Getting a good score on Bakamitai in the Karaoke minigame (Yakuza 0)
On 7/23/2020 at 10:35 PM, RitualClarity said:

KTOR the original once you realized what was going on.... holy crap. I had goosebumps on my arms. I never had that happen in any game I have played previously or since. 

KOTOR spoiler:

Spoiler

Like in many games, they let you decide your name freely in this, so one friend of mine named himself correctly upon replaying it, leading to some hilarious situations.

"Wait, you are not Darth Revan... . You are Darth Revan!!1 Omg!!"

3 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Some people think guys play women in games for deep psychological reasons. It's really just as simple as we say. Gotta love that despite their best efforts to lock assets, modders find a way. :cool:

2020_07.24-21_32.png.4d8d4555fe40cd040f0f9eb226213275.png

What a view... :P

Sorry, what were you saying... ?  LOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 12:50 AM, nonusnomeni said:

fallout 2

just before go to oil rig make tour on entire map and exterminate all moving pixels

seeing enclave patrol and bounty hunters running from you in panic

enjoying in ending animation

Hide contents

Haven't gotten around to playing Fallout 2 (you didn't spoil anything for me so don't worry, I already know the ending), but after hearing that, I want to do a run of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've been a little confused about what makes a great game over the past years. Everything about video games has improved so much and keeps getting better and better with technology with one critical component missing...... and that is good story telling (and characters). Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, invests the player like a good story and actors. You can have the biggest playground, the coolest toys, the most cutting edge graphics, the most beautiful artwork and it all means little to nothing without something to spark the imagination, capture their emotions, and compel a person to keep playing to the ending credits and possibly beyond.

FF7, Halo, ME1/2, GTA5, TW3 come to mind as examples of good story telling to me. I felt like I had been through so much when I finished those games and couldn't wait for more. And if the best stories are inspired by hard times and tragedy, then I think we'll be experiencing many more in the future. :)

1. you got old

2. New car smell only lasts so long

3. politics kills stories

4. devs have largely figured the formula, some are "done", and think they have the formula down, instead of trying to push the bar, cause they just wanna retire rich

5. For whatever reason, millenials have some kind of perverse need to redo what has already been done BUT MOAR, so finding a new tact and technique is rare

6. The people that want to be in charge the most are often shitty as fuck at the job

7. and the biggest one by far, the people at the tippy top of gaming act like TV/Movie ~~~influencer~~~ executives now; they are incredibly uncreative and narcissistic and simply want power for its own sake, and these are the people determining who gets to make what. Gaming went to the movie/tv model in the 90s when they were faced with doing their own thing or relying on a framework of corporate support, they chose corporate support over financial uncertainty and we have reaped directly what we sowed.

2 minutes ago, 27X said:

5. For whatever reason, millenials have some kind of perverse need to redo what has already been done BUT MOAR, so finding a new tact and technique is rare

It is just an extreme version of the 1990s extreme for teens marketing approach. They learned well from their forebears well.

Finishing Most Wanted 2005 for the first time with what is basically a Cobalt SS on steroids, i still remember it so vividly like it was yesterday, it was neon green with red rims and red/black tribal body vinyls. One of the best games ever made, just beautifully executed in both gameplay and story aspects. The game also gave me one of my very first crushes, Mia.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, 27X said:

1. you got old

2. New car smell only lasts so long

3. politics kills stories

4. devs have largely figured the formula, some are "done", and think they have the formula down, instead of trying to push the bar, cause they just wanna retire rich

6. The people that want to be in charge the most are often shitty as fuck at the job

7. and the biggest one by far, the people at the tippy top of gaming act like TV/Movie ~~~influencer~~~ executives now; they are incredibly uncreative and narcissistic and simply want power for its own sake, and these are the people determining who gets to make what. Gaming went to the movie/tv model in the 90s when they were faced with doing their own thing or relying on a framework of corporate support, they chose corporate support over financial uncertainty and we have reaped directly what we sowed.

1. Irrelevant since I am and always will be a gamer- we're the kids that refuse to ever (completely) grow up.

2. Substance remains interesting long after the shine has dulled. Funny thing is that good art (or stories) age like wine.

3. Politics kills everything creative.

4. Meaning they loathe taking chances. Mediocrity (and declining sales) is what will cause them to have to take chances eventually. We win.

5.. Nothing wrong with giving old titles a face-lift so long as they don't butcher the original concept and "feel" of the game. Some do it well, others don't.

6.  See #3

7. Can't convince me that everyone sold out. Some people are still passionate about their work.

When good writers meet good game design, a star is born. The tricky thing about creating art is that the best is rarely planned and usually the result of a journey into uncharted territory. Free your mind and the rest will follow.

Being passionate doesn't mean anything exemplary, it's a base requirement for the job now, not a +5 modifier; at this stage it's in the starter kit. It also doesn't guarantee anything, even doing a good job or getting proper credit or getting to do it again.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I think I've been a little confused about what makes a great game over the past years. Everything about video games has improved so much and keeps getting better and better with technology with one critical component missing...... and that is good story telling (and characters). Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, invests the player like a good story and actors. You can have the biggest playground, the coolest toys, the most cutting edge graphics, the most beautiful artwork and it all means little to nothing without something to spark the imagination, capture their emotions, and compel a person to keep playing to the ending credits and possibly beyond.

FF7, Halo, ME1/2, TW3 come to mind as examples of good story telling to me. I felt like I had been through so much when I finished those games and couldn't wait for more. And if the best stories are inspired by hard times and tragedy, then I think we'll be experiencing many more in the future. :)

One of the reasons I think singleplayer games won't die. People want a good story with good actors as much as they want a good playing game. That's why I still rate games like Alan Wake as one of my favorite games, for example. (Go play all Remedy games, they're storydriven, have fantastic actors / acting and usually play decent).

So here's the AWESOME thing I remember about it.

Some time in the story, you're bound to go to two brothers' farm. They were rockstars, now living their twilight years in Bright Falls. However, "fight crazy with crazy", or in their case, they fought the Darkness around Bright Falls with a full blown rock stage on their farm, lights, booming music, everything included. It made for a really great setpiece, and the Poets of the Fall, a finnish rock band and friends for Remedy, made a unique and very fitting song for the setpiece.

Also, Halo. The pain of grenades and exploding flood on Legendary was real. Good game, though.

33 minutes ago, Mr.Otaku said:

Finishing Most Wanted 2005 for the first time with what is basically a Cobalt SS on steroids, i still remember it so vividly like it was yesterday, it was neon green with red rims and red/black tribal body vinyls. One of the best games ever made, just beautifully executed in both gameplay and story aspects. The game also gave me one of my very first crushes, Mia.

Reveal hidden contents

Fun game. Never used the Cobalt SS for long, but I play it again every other year or so. You're right. The game is a fantastic blend of arcade gameplay, cheesy strory and good design. To gold look is great. Also, Josie Maran is a win.

26 minutes ago, 27X said:

Being passionate doesn't mean anything exemplary, it's a base requirement for the job now, not a +5 modifier; at this stage it's in the starter kit. It also doesn't guarantee anything, even doing a good job or getting proper credit or getting to do it again.

Okay, so the passion/talent is there and politics/greed are stifling/misusing it. I've also read posts that say it infests most of the industry and some say the industry needs to crash or some such bs and I don't think that's going to happen. What we do have are a growing # of indies making more and better games. And they don't have suits telling them what they can and can't make. That gives me hope for the future.

20 minutes ago, Swanky said:

Fun game. Never used the Cobalt SS for long, but I play it again every other year or so. You're right. The game is a fantastic blend of arcade gameplay, cheesy strory and good design. To gold look is great. Also, Josie Maran is a win.

Yeah, this was back when NFS meant quality and fun, especially fun. Most Wanted 2005 is the kind of game that'll always hold up, they made it look really unique and it ran masterfully. It's iconic at this point.

World at War, TDM iirc, church map... killed the same guy +15 times in one match, got him to rage quit loudly. I was just camping the church shit talking him, he kept coming back for more instead of giving up. eventually he came in with a shotgun trying to close range me, I hopped over him, knifed him, took his gun, and killed him with his own gun. At that point, and to the entertainment of everybody in game, you could hear shit being thrown and a plethora of language in a hysterically high pitch, followed by him leaving the lobby and filing a complaint against me. ???

5 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

Star Wars KotOR: THE one game that got me into western RPG's.  Otherwise, I'd still be stuck playing Final Fantasy and similar titles.  Think I might pick it up again on Steam, soon.  Now, if only KotOR 3 was a reality...

I miss the old BioWare.

So do I.  That company did wonderful games. Missed the era when it was happening but had the opportunity to experience their games much later. Even though at the time they were greatly aged (graphics and such) their writing was deep and meaningful.  That surprise revel was epic.

3 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Think I've read they're cooking up something along those lines. Guess we'll see.

They might be cooking up shit... literally which is sad to say (Bioware) I can't trust anything they are releasing until I can see it fully reviewed and running several months at the minimum. Even then I can't trust them much considering they are fucking up their updates that should be fixing problems  (Fallout 4)  I am hoping that Obsidian moves more into their business model (modding games and such) so that there is some competition (and competitiveness) in the options that are available.

• 1 month later...

The ending to Mass Effect 2. I won't spoil it for anyone even if it's a decade old game. I've been playing games for decades but that game really was something. Having the right formation of your crew as well as all their loyalties brings me joy and excitement every time I complete it. 

49 minutes ago, Adoring Fan said:

The ending to Mass Effect 2. I won't spoil it for anyone even if it's a decade old game. I've been playing games for decades but that game really was something. Having the right formation of your crew as well as all their loyalties brings me joy and excitement every time I complete it. 

yea, Mass Effect did a great job at making what you do matter to those around you and the universe. It felt like you were achieving something and making something happen...

TILL THE END ME3..when it was shown everything you did was for shit. :P   then they decided to create another ME and set it in an other universe. The possibilities abound.. including the worst animations and repetition that didn't seem to matter what you did. They did such a bad job, that they decided to cancel the game and not work on it, as far as I am aware... EVER.  Way to send a successful game IP to the trash.