I had some problems with the Lore Mongers quests:

- One I met in Whiterun sent me to Broken Fang Cave, but as soon as I was inside, the quest marker pointed outside again, so I couldn´t find the item.

- Another one, also in Whiterun, sent me to Dustman´s Cairn, and the map marker was inside the inaccessible part of the dungeon where you only can get to with Farkas in the companion questline.

By freeze I mean the controls. And the carry weight is fine.
As mentioned, when I switched back to older version everything works flawlessly.
So it's clearly something that happens after the update - I actually went back and forth from 1.12 to 1.10 twice now and each time same thing happens.
1.10 I get stripped and equipped with restraints, 1.12 I get stripped, frozen controls as if the mod was searching for the items to put on me and then finding nothing and bringing the control back on.

Update:
I've uninstalled Devious Adventures (was messing up certain quests with Elisif) and when I tried the guard again, it worked!

There is a new issue though :D Cuffs, chain harness and pony boots that can be put on you after triggering the effect won't appear as equipped in the inventory.
And due to that little problem they can't be removed - even with the mini game struggle thingy. 
Blacksmiths detect them, but then they say the tools aren't strong enough.

Help! :P 

UPDATE2:

Figured it out - at least to a certain point and managed to fix it.

No idea which mod caused it, but apparently there were some hidden items on me:
rusted hand shackles, pear gag, chain harness and pony boots.

Each time I would get restrained by the guard, they would appear on me, but not in the inventory. The gag and the chain harness even appeared during Spriggan quest from SDPlus (Sanguin).
I read the thread and noone ever mentioned a bug like that, so I started a fresh character and went straight to the Striggan mobs to try again.
It worked without any problems. Then I took that character to a town and tried the guard and it worked as  well.
So at that point it was clearly soome screw up on the other save/char.

I finally managed to remove the mentioned items with the help of the console commands:

player.unequipall
and then removing all items from the character with

player.removeallitems
of course that way you remove everything you have on that character (with few minor exceptions like elder scrolls).

Now everything is finally back to normal.

hi! this is kinda a dumb question so apologies in advance, but whenever i go to use one of the hidden package thingies, or try to get a follower to use one, i get a "not right now" message.. i assume i've disabled something in the mcm im not meant to but i cant find it for the life of me :(

Okay, first of all, thank you so much for this mod. I have not yet really checked out the quests of the lore mongers, but I have found all their locations and checked out their inventory. But what really makes this mod irreplacable for me now is the struggle minigame. Makes devices a lot more fun (I have reduced my key chance by two thirds and increased trap chance´by a third in cursed loot since installing your mod). I believe the minigame deserves its own mod, since it transforms DD gameplay on a fundamental level, but just being able to deactivate parts of your mod is definitly fine (for me personally I would only deactivate the guard part). This is not to say that the rest of your mod is not great, it is just that the minigame is too much genius.
Well, I am actually posting because I had some thoughts about the minigame and wanted to write them down before forgetting about them. Origianally I had wanted to wait with the post until I had tried the quests. But well, here are my thoughts so far:

While the minigame is really basic right now it already transforms gameplay with DD mods fundamentally. My thoughts come mainly from a mage playstyle (currently even low level). That means little stamina, little health but more and more magicka. And not really good combat skills. That makes escaping from some devices a lot harder than from others. I always go with the lockpicking option, because struggle and cut apart I lose far too quickly and have almost no hope of success. Meanwhile, lockpicking, even low level lockpicking with just basic 100 stamina, is so easy that I bumped up minigame difficulty to 5 times and also went from my usual default escape difficulty in the DD MCM up to the maximum.

I belive the solution to be twofold: First, allow magicka to be used instead of stamina when struggling. Linked with the second approach it is even lore friendly: Allow the use of magic for struggling and cutting off. And I belive the options for those can be expanded anyways:
1. Unlock with key: maybe have pickpocket or lockpicking affecting it. Not sure how smart that is yet
2. Struggle: Have light armor (dexterity), heavy armor (strength) and alteration (magic) be the choices
3. Lockpicking: Well, I don't think this needs changing in term of which skill is affecting it and I can't think of a logical alternative.
4. Cut off: this should have 3 or 4 choices, one for each main combat ability and NOT take the average of some like struggle currently does with archery and one handed. It should let you choose between one handed, two handed and destruction. I'm not sure if archery should be an option as well, but for balancing reasons it probably should.
5. Repair lock: I don't think this needs any changes. Though I see the possibility of allowing the choice between smithing and enchanting, again allowing for stamina vs magicka usage.

Next on my list: difficulty modifiers for different parts of the minigame. It is on my list, mainly because whenever I get an armbinder with my mage right now I reduce the difficulty from max to lowest, both in Devious lore and core DD, and I think it is not worth implementing if you diversify usable skills for struggling as it would only treat the symptoms of an unbalanced minigame, not the root of the issue.

For now last on my list and more a question than any suggestions: What are your plans for the actual minigame gameplay? It currently is just guessing a button and holding it down, changing every few seconds. That is absolutly fine and needn't be changed. I do however spend more time looking at my stamina bar guessing which button I have to hold instead of looking at my character deliciously struggling. Do you have any plans to change this or even ideas how you could change it? The pressing the correct buttons while draining a resource is nice, but I have no idea how else you could change it as in I don't know the technical possibilities and difficulties. I believe quicktime event popups around your character are an appropriate solution, but I have no idea if you can even put those in skyrim. Because if you could implement them that could also make the struggle even more interactive by making it not hold down directions but having to quickly press the right direction key, taking too long or pressing the wrong one leading to stamina or magicka loss and increasing the needed number of button presses.

That's it for suggestions to the minigame for now, I'll be happy to hear what you think about them.

A few more ideas for the struggle game:

A cap on the available stamina pool for struggling, so that high level characters don't escape so easily.

An option to have arousal increase struggle difficulty, though it shouldn't be crippling because a character locked in a belt is probably stuck at 100.  Along with that, a bondage lover option so that struggling increases arousal. 

On 8/31/2019 at 10:25 AM, RoxyLalonde said:

hi! this is kinda a dumb question so apologies in advance, but whenever i go to use one of the hidden package thingies, or try to get a follower to use one, i get a "not right now" message.. i assume i've disabled something in the mcm im not meant to but i cant find it for the life of me :(

I did some checking on this. You’ll get that dialog if you have another DL quest running. Finish it off and the dialogs should open up. 

On 8/28/2019 at 10:44 AM, Garfieldcat said:

Question regarding newest patch 1.12 :) 

The version I was using until now was 1.10.
When I have the bounty on me and talk to the guards, I can pick the please don't send me to jail option which puts me in all sorts of metal restraints (love that!).
Sadly after upgrading to 1.12 the text line is still there, but I'm getting stripped naked and then my character just freeze for upto 1minute and no restraints are added.
After the initial freeze is over, I'm able to walk again.

Tried to change the load order etc. but nothing seems to help.
I then reverted back to 1.10 to check if it helps, and it indeed did help -works just as before.

Could anyone check that out? Perhaps I messed up the update process?

Finally got around to testing this. There was a bug in the part of the mod that chooses the variant of the devices. Essentially, the mod was trying to add gold prison devices on you, but those don't exist, so it got stuck. This will be fixed in the next patch.

BTW, for everyone else, the next update is almost finished, and mostly includes some tweaked dialogue and changes to the retrieval quests, and some bugfixes with the new devices system.

Hi,

First of all, I absolutely LOVE your mod.  Second, I have a small request.  You have it in your power to fix one of the annoying and un-immersive things I find with the Devious Devices related mods.  Could you change the "Struggle" mini-game so that attempting to "Cut" the devious device off requires some kind of "Blade" to be in the players inventory?  Something like swords, knives, axes, even as inconsequential as a dinner knife?  It seems like a simple concept and would be VERY immersive.  I, for one would be eternally grateful.

Thank you in advance for your consideration

Newest version is now up.

The next version I make will include a new NPC and quest to utilize the added rope restraints in DD's version 4.3. I will also hopefully manage to get a quest added for the jailmasters.

After that, I'm going to start working on some world encounters, like finding adventurers victim to the items in this mod, and more interesting and expansive quests, which may include some new dungeons and locations. I have some ideas already, and feel free to put forth your own if you think they are any good.

In regard to installation and use, please correct any of my following assumptions, if necessary:

If I just install the main file, currently 1.13, it will work fine as is.  I must, of course, at least install it.

If I just want more struggle animations, I can install the struggles patch.  If I also want more of the lore patch features, like enchantable renamed devices, I can instead install the lore patch.

Note that I do NOT intend to install the lore patch because I currently use and enjoy Devious Armors and I cannot imagine that will affect any of the lore patch renames.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, lonh13 said:

In regard to installation and use, please correct any of my following assumptions, if necessary:

If I just install the main file, currently 1.13, it will work fine as is.  I must, of course, at least install it.

If I just want more struggle animations, I can install the struggles patch.  If I also want more of the lore patch features, like enchantable renamed devices, I can instead install the lore patch.

Note that I do NOT intend to install the lore patch because I currently use and enjoy Devious Armors and I cannot imagine that will affect any of the lore patch renames.

Thanks in advance.

The main file will work as-is.

The struggle animations patch edits most of the devices to add appropriate struggle animations, and might be incompatible with devious armors.

The lore patch edits almost all devices to both add appropriate struggle animations, and rename devices to be consistent with this mod's dialogue, and will almost certainly be incompatible with devious armors.

11 hours ago, donttouchmethere said:

What is the best way to install the DL files?

Still looking for a solution for the struggle issue (only the usual struggle animations play, not all DDs covered)

Atm I install like this:

Devious Lore 1.13.rar

Devious Devices - Lore Patch 1.0.rar                => overwrites DL 1.3

Devious Devices - Struggle Idles Patch 1.1.rar  => overwrites all

I should let the esteemed Convoluted Lore Monger answer your question but... for what it's worth:  My understanding is that you do NOT need both patches.  Struggle idle invocations ARE included in the Lore Patch.  Install ONE or the other, depending on what you want.

3 hours ago, lonh13 said:

I should let the esteemed Convoluted Lore Monger answer your question but... for what it's worth:  My understanding is that you do NOT need both patches.  Struggle idle invocations ARE included in the Lore Patch.  Install ONE or the other, depending on what you want.

This is correct.

Hello! Thanks for the mod! Looks like a really interesting idea.

And everyone knows after that intro there's a "but" coming. :) ...really interesting idea, but it seems struggling/cutting/lockpicking stuff ignores chances of said stuff getting stuck. Maybe it makes sense for attempts to cut (although I'd say there's still an option "tried to cut for some time until realizing there's a section that's just too tough", like metal segment sandwitched in outer material or whatnot). I really like this feature in base devious devices. It lets you exhaust other methods of escaping and only using key as a last resort. Do you have any plans to add that similar to key getting broken/stuck? Would really love that. :)

Either way, I guess it's just a tiny fetish and you can't always please everyone. Great mod otherwise, thanks. :)

About the escaping from bondage by yourself, it would be interesting if you had a chance to get stuck to whatever you are using to struggle with and then have to struggle out of that too. Otherwise you'd be unable to move. You could perhaps try doing that against a fallen tree branch or some metal part from barrel, chest, door, anvil or workbench. That would cause a stamina exhaustion debuff when loose for a couple hours. Struggling from the "furniture" would not use stamina but just run on adrenaline rush that you could do repeatedly. I guess it would have a chance to actually cut off the restraint too.