All things Cyberpunk 2077 General Thread

Kind of overblown there.

GAME ENDING SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK UNLESS STUPID

they're both alive and like you, you're not banging both in a cutscene nor is it even implied. You just do all of their option quest arrays and then let Panam AND the Aldecs deal with Arasaka and Silverhand's problems. You leave with Panam alive and have a heart to heart with her if you make the right choices, but there's only one person you're talking to in the credits and it isn't Panam.

13 hours ago, 27X said:

The game was released too early, simple as, especially for consoles. 

That's what I said, but they had no choice because a publicly traded company needs to appease it's share holders.

13 hours ago, 27X said:

The game was released too early, simple as, especially for consoles. It's also equally clear they had no idea what kind of game they actually wanted >from start to finish< until about three years ago, but actual implementation has likely only been occurring for two years.

Yeah because you know, they only started development after finishing up The Witcher 3 and it's DLC's in 2016...

On 12/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, Awoooooo said:

There's a lot that needs fixing with the open world in this. The game itself is fine, the quests are interesting and the world is beautifully designed. There is fun to be found in those things... But the open world is incredibly under-developed.

Basic things like fire engines, taxis, trains and ambulances do not exist. These have been a standard in open world titles since GTA3. Their absence is really weird especially when the lore features cool shit like Trauma Team and flying vehicles. The open world should have far smarter AI, cops should spawn in at a distance and either drive up or fly in. Trauma Team should randomly show up with different kinds of "packages" for citizens. The poors get tossed in a dump truck by a clean up crew while the rich get the ultra-military rescue. There is a literal unuseable rail network too.

They have to get all of these things up to speed and included as they were definitely expected.

Secondary to this, they should be including sandbox gang warfare. Gangs should increase and decrease in size as they compete with rival gangs. Shadow of Mordor style leadership elements could have existed. The fact that death and cloning are a thing could have been leveraged for surviving death as a mechanic.

Braindances are clearly intended but completely unfinished.

Theft as a game mechanic appears to have been intended but is just non-existent. Mountains and mountains of pointless food items exist which suggests to me an expansion of the purpose of these items was intended, at the very basic level it could have been used in conjunction with a theft system for survival mods ala Skyrim.

Minigames? There are none. Bit weird given how standard they are in open world titles.

Game feels like it was release 1-2 years early. And that the looter-shooter part was tacked on due to being pressed for time. It feels like high-realism and ultra RPG roleplay was their initial goal and then that all went to shit behind the scenes for whatever reason.

If they don't fix at least the basic expectations of this their reputation is basically done. Fixing performance might be the priority for consoles but that doesn't even scratch the surface of the problems.

I have about 60 hours and have beaten the game twice.  Alot of this opinion is just wrong and and unfair.

I completely agree about flying vehicles and vehicles in general. There should be more customization here in general.

However, i disagree with the sandbox gang warfare, its not necessary. People who want this game to be like x or y or have features these game have- for what purpose? I didn't expect millions of features for a $60 game released in covid, and you are fooling yourself if you think witcher had all these features as well.

Cloning? What cloning? The point of the story is how people can be captured and turned into data. 

Theft isn't a thing. I don't see any real indication of it being a game mechanic. Should it be? I don't really see a use or build for it.

Food is meant to generate the crafting experience, its not pointless. 

Minigames? breaching and hacking. I look at skyrim and fallout that had only 2 minigames and did fine.  

Looter shooter feels tacked on? Nonsense. I've beaten the game twice and the rpg looting cycle feels great, especially with unique weapons. The difference between power smart and tech feel cool and fun. Not to mention iconic weapons are super cool.

I think your problem is that you expected this to be a dream game. What Cyberpunk is meant to be is a flagship title that is a next-gen elder scrolls game capable of spawning sequels like old bioware games.   

3 hours ago, Icekream said:

Alot of this opinion is just wrong

Yeah, I've seen Taxis (Just can't 'use' them), Trains (Sadly watched them 'fade' out once far enough away), Ambulances (Umm, a main story mission has you face to face with one) so I have to agree. It appears this is what I understand to be the GTA mentality and imprinting.

It would seem this game could easily be a framework as well for future DLC or other Expansion type content. I was surprised at the ease of fast travel and the number of stations. Use of 'flying taxis' for fast travel (World of Warcraft) would of been an interesting choice had they gone that way, and besides that brainfart dream wish, I've only seen a few things I wish were different

A minimap that expands the faster the player moves, and a 'North' pip on it which helps with orientation. I see the mission carrot pip, and I guess that's useful for players with certain UI elements disabled. Yet I have MANY times had to turn around after passing my turn when zipping through the streets on the bike at near 150mph. At least I've become adept at slowing and stopping a bike now. A bit like real life, one can't just use one brake or the other and keep control during rapid deceleration. Plus I like the bike which reminds me of AKIRA.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thought this video from Rememer ME - 2013 might show players whom never experienced that game a feature not unlike the BD memory stuff from Cyberpunk (which is also very Total Recall) with the ability to rewind and explore the memory.

Spoiler

I'm stuck on the first ripperdoc screen. I install the new eyes, but then I can't work out how to leave the screen, and there's nothing else I can buy. I tried Escape, all mouse buttons, clicking everywhere and pretty much every key on the eyboard.

Anyone tell me how it's supposed to work?

15 hours ago, peculiaris said:

That's what I said, but they had no choice because a publicly traded company needs to appease it's share holders.

Yeah because you know, they only started development after finishing up The Witcher 3 and it's DLC's in 2016...

As someone working in the industry, this is a management failure, not a dev in the trench failure. If someone tells you five origins and classes representing a particular strata and when these classes are roughly in place to interact universally in the engine along the ranges they're built for, and then afterward it's arbitrarily decided to finish faster there are to be three non-classes that only have dialog differences and all skill trees are now universal, I'm curious as to how you tell the people three literal pay grades and seven years above you how that's a mistake and the two years of work you did that also consumes 35% of the per-frame efficiency budget in an already overtaxed environment shouldn't be discarded.

2 hours ago, DocClox said:

I'm stuck on the first ripperdoc screen. I install the new eyes, but then I can't work out how to leave the screen, and there's nothing else I can buy. I tried Escape, all mouse buttons, clicking everywhere and pretty much every key on the eyboard.

Anyone tell me how it's supposed to work?

Did you also pick the new hands? You probably have to do both before  you can move on.

16 hours ago, landess said:

One more thing - could you give an example of one or more games that do most all the things you mention? As a PC player I get the feeling they may be console releases....

i am a pc player myself, as far as open world genre go there are sadly almost no alternatives to gta... especially if it comes down to ai and how its implemented. its not perfect either, they too have respawning/despawning enemies/cars... most of it happens hidden from the player and also the chaos/randomness happens infront/near of you as opposite to going to a specific spot where dangerous npc respawn (and often only before accepting a quest - thats how ubisoft/watchdogs did it last time i checked... sometimes u even got a loading screen/restricted area that u cant leave).

i know there are some people that defend that and say... thats not what cb is or trying to be ! ...well cb better try to be something then, because at the moment they got nothing, anyway the next hyped open world game that is primed to failure is squadron 42 (i hope chris roberts follows the drama around cdpr very carefully).

On 12/17/2020 at 2:37 AM, 27X said:

The csv does nothing. There aren't even pointers to it in the exe.

And this is confirmed by the next patches' notes. The file is being removed since it does nothing.

Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game.

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/37166/hotfix-1-05

Rumors have it to be released for PC on monday, it already has for consoles.

On 12/17/2020 at 2:37 AM, 27X said:

The csv does nothing. There aren't even pointers to it in the exe.

Seems like this is confirmed by the next patches' notes. The file is being removed since it does nothing.

Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game.

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/37166/hotfix-1-05

Rumors say it'll be released for PC on monday, it already has for consoles.

On 12/18/2020 at 5:09 PM, Awoooooo said:

I completely missed this in my complaint earlier but you're right. Going to get cyberware and you literally just press a button in a menu and POP you have that now.

Literally no animation or anything. It's very weird and jarring.

On steam it has early access tag wth, would explain alot tho.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1091500/Cyberpunk_2077/

One of the users of Wykop (basically Polish Reddit), made a writeup which is a summary of the whole development of Cyberpunk since 2012 based on everything CDPR told us and all media coverage of the game. Someone translated it in a forum :

30 May 2012
>Announcement of a new RPG game in the cyberpunk setting created by the same team which worked on Witcher games.
>Non-linear scenario which allows for meaningful choices, going way outside the box compared to what we are used to in these games
>Giant world full of details, combat and class system taken directly from pen n paper, hundreds of ways to create our protag
>Different weapons, cars, implants
18 October 2012
>Announcing the official title: Cyberpunk 2077
>Sandbox with Open World, VR as a separate hub which will be important to gameplay
>Complex character editor in which we will pick the class of our character
>Hard choices, good dialogues, side activities (generic promises basically)
25 October 2012
>Game is said to appear at the next gen consoles (PS4 and XONE at the time)
>Big chances of modding tools
>Early production, creating fundaments of the game with Mike Pondsmith
>Part of the team started implementing first models (!)
27 December 2012
>Job application for Art Director, required experience in RPG games with Open World
>Second application is Multiplayer Programmer
10 Janurary 2013
>Personal Responsibility Trailer
27 February 2013
>Announcement of translation implants, which will allow us to talk with other NPCs.
13 March 2013
>Badowski confirms online elements
12 August 2013
>Game supports both first and third perspective
>Cyberpunk 2077 is made in Red Engine 3
8 Januray 2015 (so almost 2 years of silence)
>Just some confirmation that CDPR focuses on Witcher 3 and separate team works on Cyberpunk
28 May 2015
>After Witcher 3 launch, the team focuses exclusively on this brand, news about cyberpunk have to wait until 2017, of course generic confirmation that they are still working on it
19 June 2015
>Main team still works on expansions/DLC, more and more move slowly to Cyberpunk.
>Iwiński says that Cyberpunk is a good opportunity for the team to gain energy, since they are burned out from working on Witcher 3 all this time :geraltkappa: :geraltkappa: :geraltkappa: :geraltkappa: :geraltkappa: :geraltkappa:
6 August 2015
>team is now mainly focused on Cyberpunk, CDPR still teases it as a new RPG game
6 Oct 2015
>Cyberpunk 2077 will be way bigger than Witcher 3 and experience gathered during making the Witcher series will help a lot
1 Nov 2015
>CDPR is now full throttle working on Cyberpunk, which will be a completely different game than Witcher 3
9 December 2015
>vice-CEO denies rumors that the game is supposed to launch in 2016
10 Dec 2015
>Kiciński in Money.pl interview:
>"Most important is that Cyberpunk needs to be, just like Witcher, a great game. If you add marketing on top of that, the game will sell greatly as well".
>Pondsmith confirmed to have basically the same role as Sapkowski, meaning almost not at all other than occasional talk and showing him cool stuff they worked on and CDPR has the last say.
24 Feb 2016
>Music is composed by Przybyłowicz, same guy as Witcher 3
10 March 2016
>On CDPR conference, they announced that in years 2017-2021 we can expect two games, Cyberpunk + another AAA RPG title
>In the same time the team is expected to double, creating four independent teams in the studio.
25 April 2016
>One of CDPR employees reveals that Witcher development was an enlightening experience. They have many notes and team focuses on modyfing the dev tools. Some rumors about drastic changes in the game but no details. They specifically just mention some visual editor stuff.

28 April 2016
>Iwiński says that Rockstar Games is their idol and they aim to be like them. The team is afraid of Cyberpunk disappointing people. Because of that they focus a lot on testing things in game that will be shown to the general public and obsession with the quality of the game. Iwiński prefers that his studio worked harder on the game that will be breathtaking and stay in memory rather than just be released in the best sale season.
>The goal of the game is to influence the whole industry. Iwiński dreams of becoming one of the giants, listing Blizzard, Valve, Bethesda
14 May 2016
>The Cracow department (created in 2013) will grow from 30 to 100 people and will be important in the production of Cyberpunk
>Warsaw department will grow to 500 people.
>They look for people for both junior and senior positions.
>Krakow studio already worked on Witcher DLC and expansions and on REDengine so they apparently have some experience.
>John Mamais (boss of the Cracow Studio) reveals that all manager staff (?) moves to work on Cyberpunk
30 Aug 2016
>Studio looks for people working on designing driving vehicles
>Suggestion of flying vehicles aswell
>Studio looks for people experienced in animation, AI etc.
27 Sept 2016
>CDPR looks for boost from polish fund GAMEINN. Apparently it's about 10 mln PLN for "City Creation technology". Tools for creating "living, giant scale city" which would be then overseen by advanced AI.
>Animation Excellence (another technology) which would allow for complicated animation of face and body
>Cinematic Feel (film-like quality in open world RPGs)
>Seamless Multiplayer as "technology alllowing for creation of unique gameplay for many players that supports different types/genres of gameplay"

29 Sept 2016
>Kyle Rowley - main designer from Quantum Break joins the studio. Another person they got is someone from Rockstar North who became Gameplay Producer

**Author here suggests that this is the moment when the original team is axed and they started to re-write the engine**

14 Dec 2016
>CDPR will recieve 10 mln PLN from GAMEINN fund.
7 April 2017
>Cyberpunk trademark is registered
10 June 2017
>Someone stole the game's documentation and wants ransom for it. CDPR announces they won't pay it and the leaked data is no longer up to date and do not represent the look of the game. They announced that the lawyers are already working on it though.

**btw what happened to that? did we ever get any of these leaks?**

4 Oct 2017
>CDPR announces changes in senior positions
>Main level designer (Mateusz Piaskiewicz) leaves to work for Flying Wild Hog (studio which makes Shadow Warrior games), he previously worked on COD Black Ops III
>Senior Gameplay Producer (Derek Patterson) leaves for Techland, worked on GTAV and RDR2 previously
>Project Manager (Ovidiu Traian Vasilescu), moved to V11 Studio Game and worked for Ubishit previously.
>Last person to leave was Senior Art Producer (Michał Stec)
>CDPR refused to give any comments on that
**personally i would say that this is where everything shits the bed**
16 Oct 2017
>CDPR finally gives comments:
>"Cyberpunk development goes as expected, but require some time and work - silence is the price of making a great game" they also add that, to paraphrase "Leaving of a Senior Position person is not important in a game of this scale, since it's future cannot be relied on one or even just few people".

5 Dec 2017
Okay so this part is whatever. Too much for me to write-up but it's repeat of YongYea drama. People complain about crunch, that people at the top have no experience or vision working on games, some people say that start of of the work on Cyberpunk in 2012 was amazing but everything shat the bed once they almost fucked up Witcher 3 and everyone was moved there. It only got worse after that with Cyberpunk. Management is again, mentioned as the worst part. Apparently many people there never worked on anything so you have shit like industry veteran who worked on GTAV must listen to some retard who never made a game in his life. Lack of communication, basically one supervisor will ask for one feature while other will ask for something that completely not compatible. Shitton of time is wasted to work on elements that are ultimately cut because nothing gets to the management and they want their cake cooked now.

There is one very interesting part though, involving Badowski (CD Projekt RED CEO). He was left with a dilemma because he had two separate teams which now had to work on Cyberpunk. One was the original which didn't to much for long time since they wered moved to Witcher 3, but they had experience, and Witcher 3 team which worked on previous titles but didn't know anything about the next project and it was already far in development.

So the genius went full fucking Battle Royale and asked them to basically show off to him and present what they can do so they can separate wheat from the chaff, which completely ruined any goodwill at studio, created rivalry between teams and tanked any productivity left.

17 hours ago, Icekream said:

I think your problem is that you expected this to be a dream game. What Cyberpunk is meant to be is a flagship title that is a next-gen elder scrolls game capable of spawning sequels like old bioware games.   

You completely invalidated most of your post by saying this at the end.

Half of the content that you criticised is basic expectations of a "next gen" elder scrolls.

It doesn't even meet the basic standards of GTA3 released 20 years ago, let alone a sandbox rpg right now.

The entire concept of making something revolutionary within a genre is that you meet the current expectations of that genre... And then you advance on them. The post I made simply outlines wanting the game to meet the current expectations and then puts forwards some additions that could be brought in on top of that model in order to make it an actual advancement of anything that currently exists.

Right now it's not up to scratch with things that released over a decade ago, let alone being "next gen" in any regard. It has nice visuals and they do good camera work during their haphazardly written story that barely understands the class struggle leftist politics in a future-dystopia it is representing. That is all.

If, as you say, they want sequels, then they better actually meet the basic expectations of a current game and the things they spoke about throughout all of development otherwise nobody is going to touch their sequels.

On 12/19/2020 at 7:43 AM, ss4141 said:

Main problem is "there is no end game content". After you finish all jobs, all side quests there is nothing to do in the city but just drive around and punch random gangs. This is a big downfall for an open world game. I mean really what will we do? Restart? I strongly hope they must add dlc which gives something to continue things like random spawning missions, job calls ect. idk.

Isn't that the same thing with every other open world RPG games out there? The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim. Everything must end eventually. Fallout and Skyrim have some type of random generated radiant quest but those are boring.

21 minutes ago, assassin394 said:

Isn't that the same thing with every other open world RPG games out there?

No its not. I believe you dont play much games if you did you should know why some games need end game content to keep players continue playing. If 70-80 hours of play is worth waiting 8 years for you i have nothing to say.

2 hours ago, assassin394 said:

Isn't that the same thing with every other open world RPG games out there? The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim. Everything must end eventually. Fallout and Skyrim have some type of random generated radiant quest but those are boring.

The developers at the Obsidian of old made the right choice to conclude Fallout New Vegas with a credit sequence and a fade to title screen rather than provide an extended epilogue.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:21 AM, Celedhring said:

Eh, already preordered Cyberpunk a while ago, my simoleons already spent so I'm not worried what state it's gonna arrive in as long as there's tits, ass and pussy.  :P

And Karl Urban is God.  He proved it in Dredd.

well you got that atleast XDDD now we will have to see how they improve the game.

8 hours ago, Awoooooo said:

You completely invalidated most of your post by saying this at the end.

Half of the content that you criticised is basic expectations of a "next gen" elder scrolls.

It doesn't even meet the basic standards of GTA3 released 20 years ago, let alone a sandbox rpg right now.

The entire concept of making something revolutionary within a genre is that you meet the current expectations of that genre... And then you advance on them. The post I made simply outlines wanting the game to meet the current expectations and then puts forwards some additions that could be brought in on top of that model in order to make it an actual advancement of anything that currently exists.

Right now it's not up to scratch with things that released over a decade ago, let alone being "next gen" in any regard. It has nice visuals and they do good camera work during their haphazardly written story that barely understands the class struggle leftist politics in a future-dystopia it is representing. That is all.

If, as you say, they want sequels, then they better actually meet the basic expectations of a current game and the things they spoke about throughout all of development otherwise nobody is going to touch their sequels.

Personally I think cyberpunk meets expectations of an average sandbox in terms of strict gameplay. I was never hyped for it, and i think the story is serviceable. I don't expect a deep or compelling narrative, I just want to do stuff that matters.

I think as a new ip, cyberpunk does ok. The themes and setting are cool and interesting, and if they fix all the major bugs and crashes by the time they roll out multiplayer, people will like the game.

I mean cmon, people are fine with ubisoft bioware and ea releasing the same game with a different skin each time. On top of that how many times does skyrim need to rerelease for people to see the industry is running out of ideas for sandbox rpgs?

Cyberpunk doesn't change your life, but its a fun distraction before you head back to your game of choice. Would people buy a sequel? I think so, considering assassins creed is bought over and over and the concept has been the same since splinter cell back in 2002. Or borderlands/cod/uncharted/last of us/dark souls/pokemon/etc. which is the same thing with new paint. People are sold on the themes, story and visuals, the gameplay loop just has to be decent. And i think cyberpunk succeeds here. It's not as bad as anthem, and it might be closer to mass effect andromeda than the original trilogy, but i don't think waiting another 2 years for cyberpunk would have significantly changed gameplay beyond more content depth.   

I think the bar for games has significantly lowered since early access became a thing. I get people are disappointed with cyberpunk, but if you remove the hype or expectations of the game and look at it in a vacuum, back in 2012-16, everyone would have loved it. Now it's just an average game with a fun template, which most new games are at this point.

7 hours ago, ss4141 said:

No its not. I believe you dont play much games if you did you should know why some games need end game content to keep players continue playing. If 70-80 hours of play is worth waiting 8 years for you i have nothing to say.

I don't think you understand what a single player story driven game is. And I'd like for you to point out at least 5 games that match Cyberpunk 2077, Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Fallout, Mess Effect, Dragon Age, that also include an endgame that you can repeatedly farm after beating the entire story. 

And I hope you don't attempt to point out games that have Newgame plus as "endgame"
Please, I will be waiting.