Should I switch from oldrim to SE

30 minutes ago, 4nchorage Pingas said:

sure many of modder folks keep developing quality Sexlab mod for original Skyrim, but now it seems Steam offers only Special Edition which is obviously Bethesda being Bethesda, no hate on decision though.

But since I'm too much of sensitive in budget cut and deciding to buy from somewhere else(Shame on me), seems there is still Legendary Cd-key and Special Edition Cd-key.

But is Legendary one still a thing? I wrote this extremely obvious question for sake of my cowardice and concerns of Milk Mod Economy. I really love that mod, that's why I want to buy Skyrim but I digress.

I'm waiting for possible answers, I really need myself clear of this dilemma.

Legendary is 32bit SSE is 64bit there are many things offered in the legendary game that is not for SSE.. A well modded 32bit game is very stable but it takes time to get there and make proper downloads to do it. I have both but only play Legendary as it has the mods I want and I have learned to make and keep a stable game... hoped this helped.

I believe you can still buy the OG Skyrim Legendary edition on Steam, though Bethesda hid the game in the store so you have to go https://store.steampowered.com/app/72850 in your browser.  I am not sure if you can still buy the DLC for OG Skyrim though.  I did see Humble Bundle selling Skyrim SE and Skyrim Legendary at the moment, so you could grab one or both there if you wish.

Now, the main differences is that Skyrim SE is a 64bit engine, so it has much better memory management, and you should have less trouble getting a stable modlist.  Most mods are also already ported over to SE, and if not, is usually quite simple to do.  However, if the mod in question uses/requires an SKSE plugin, it'll have to be recompiled by the author unless they released the source code (you shouldn't concern yourself with this).  This may prevent some mods from working on SE until the required SKSE plugins are ported.

With OG Skyrim, you need at minimum to setup ENBoost and Crash Fixes, and enable Crash Fixes memory allocation method to get the most stable setup.

I personally am still using OG Skyrim for my huge modlist as SE doesn't have all the mods I want for a playthough.  I myself would tell you to get OG Skyrim if you want all the mods, or SE if you want an easier to setup stable game.

Either way, I recommend that you use Mod Organizer/Mod Organizer 2 (MO2 can manage all Bethesda games) as your mod manager over Nexus Mod Manager/Vortex as it will keep your troubleshooting to a minimum if you run into a problematic mod, all while keeping your game directory clean and without conflict.

Good luck :)

Really the main difference is just a massive increase in stability.  Basically every oldrim mod out there that does not include a DLL file or some 3rd party patching utility (Skyproc?) will work with minimal effort spent converting to SE.  I can play for hundreds of hours at a time without any crashes in SE using a mod list that in Oldrim would crash every 10 seconds if it even loads to begin with.  I think the only major feature SE's ENB is missing compared to Oldrim is Parallax but Boris has been working like a madman lately updating the SE version so I would not be surprised to see him add that once he finishes ironing all the bugs out of the SE version of SSS.

well guess i should go for SE all along, since i really hate constant CTD and I can endure any form of content lacking since its SE is still in a gold rush of modder pioneering. If you say SE is more stable and everyone is having faith in SE, so better should i to join the frontier.

On 3/19/2018 at 5:01 PM, Pinute said:

No point in waiting any longer for SKSE64. The current version has been out for months, works well, and the current sexlab beta has been out a month and is also working well. I made the move from 32bit to 64bit a month ago, and have nearly every mod I used in 32bit either from the nexus or converted myself for personal use. You can convert yours as well.

Did someone mention up there that OSA is running well for SSE too?

On 6/6/2018 at 8:49 PM, 4nchorage Pingas said:

sure many of modder folks keep developing quality Sexlab mod for original Skyrim, but now it seems Steam offers only Special Edition which is obviously Bethesda being Bethesda, no hate on decision though.

But since I'm too much of sensitive in budget cut and deciding to buy from somewhere else(Shame on me), seems there is still Legendary Cd-key and Special Edition Cd-key.

But is Legendary one still a thing? I wrote this extremely obvious question for sake of my cowardice and concerns of Milk Mod Economy. I really love that mod, that's why I want to buy Skyrim but I digress.

I'm waiting for possible answers, I really need myself clear of this dilemma.

I am seeing a lot of development for LE as well.  Is it slowing down?  Or people steadily switch over to SSE now?  We can only guess now.  But quite many mods now are SSE only.  I don't think there are easy ways to port SSE mods back to LE.  

2 hours ago, tomomi1922 said:

It's listed on 

as having an offical port https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17217 Comments there would probably give you an idea.

2 hours ago, tomomi1922 said:

I am seeing a lot of development for LE as well.  Is it slowing down?  Or people steadily switch over to SSE now?  We can only guess now.  But quite many mods now are SSE only.  I don't think there are easy ways to port SSE mods back to LE.  

Here it is, nearly 3 months later and I've been back on oldrim for a couple weeks. Mostly it's so I can use mods that depend on racemenu and bodyslide morphing. For me right now, the biggest limitations of SE revolve around the lack of in game mesh morphing and texture overlay swapping. I guess I'm not quite ready to give up Bathing in Skyrim or slavetats, or being able to create a unique bodyshape for my pc while knowing all my armors will fit.

I have a very stable skeleton mod setup in LE I can easily build layers on, so in my case the only real downside to using LE over SE right now is the fucking loading screens. They are SOOO much faster in SE. I may soon decide that getting dirty is less important than not falling asleep waiting for a fucking loading screen.

I am aware of the lack of skin overlay.  I would fancy adding tattoo or custom dirt for my characters.  You know, all these fighting on dirt, grass, dungeons can't exactly keep the player clean like he/she just came out of the shower, another word, immersion stuff.    But now, I have to live without it.  What game mesh morphing?  If you mean additional slider morph for individual characters, I use ECE and it has that.  It is not as full fledge as Bodyslide, but there are sliders.  The morph *should* carry over to existing outfits too (I need to test that to be sure).

Bathing mod just came up yesterday as we speak.  

I know, making compromises.  But I think both "getting dirty" and "loading screen" are child play comparing to the resilience we get on 64 bit version.  Random CTD is super rare.  99% of my CTD are due to problematic installs, like wrong skeleton, unstable SKEE, ... umm actually that's about all I CTD for within the last 2 months.  

I've switched to SE and I'm happy with it, plus haven't had a single CTD yet (dangerous statement to make, it'll probably crash on next load now!!).

There are a couple of good STEP guides around - there's one for Legacy of the Dragonborn that is pretty good even if you don't want Legacy as it goes through the prerequisites and basics, just skip the stuff related to Legacy and the other stuff you don't care about (like HD textures for individual items) http://wiki.step-project.com/User:DarkladyLexy/Lexys_LOTD_SE

I've been using the SE versions of CBBE and Bodyslide with no issues, as well as SKSE, DynDOLOD, FNIS and Racemenu. All the Bodyslide and Racemenu sliders work as well as they did in Oldrim (although the sculpting in Racemenu doesn't work yet).

Sexlab and SOS work perfectly for me, Cursed Loot has just come out and there are plenty of SLAL packs that have been converted. The only mod I REALLY miss is Slave Tats.

There's no question that it is far easier to maintain a stable modded SE than a stable modded LE, but it can be done.

I'd say more about why I'm staying with LE for a while yet, but Kimy just dropped DD 4.1 and I'm off to check it out this morning.

Oh, and the body morphs: no pregnancy belly in CBBE SE (not a deal breaker) but more importantly no body tri files. In LE those allow you to use the in game Racemenu bodyslide tool to dynamically change your body shape. Any armor that was bodyslid to the same base shape as your player will automatically adjust to fit the body you define in game. Probably not a deal breaker for most people but for me it's a heavy weight.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:40 PM, Pinute said:

It's listed on 

as having an offical port https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17217 Comments there would probably give you an idea.

Here it is, nearly 3 months later and I've been back on oldrim for a couple weeks. Mostly it's so I can use mods that depend on racemenu and bodyslide morphing. For me right now, the biggest limitations of SE revolve around the lack of in game mesh morphing and texture overlay swapping. I guess I'm not quite ready to give up Bathing in Skyrim or slavetats, or being able to create a unique bodyshape for my pc while knowing all my armors will fit.

I have a very stable skeleton mod setup in LE I can easily build layers on, so in my case the only real downside to using LE over SE right now is the fucking loading screens. They are SOOO much faster in SE. I may soon decide that getting dirty is less important than not falling asleep waiting for a fucking loading screen.

Bathing in skyrim is convertible, you just do regular porting procedures, and delete the .dll, use an ineed patch for your water mod, or make one yourself,  all the waters need is the doesdamage flag, and then the "require water" setting in bathing in skyrim MCM will work.  Everything works in the mod but the dll, which all that did was apply the flag to water automatically.

I use ECE for character customization, has all the things.  I have racemenu too but ive not used it much, usually just leave its esp's disabled as I prefer ECE, it has more working features.

On 2/18/2018 at 12:03 AM, NOOBIV said:

feels good to know is just matter of time, thanks to all those people are working to give us finally a stable modded skyrim. I was modding my Oldrim for 2 years, installing, testing, cleaning, etc, after all that work i got a really light mod list and most "optimized" as posible and thought finally i could play without a CTD/Freeze, but no, there still CTD without reason, and random freezes, im sad to say bye to Oldrim, but i cant play anymore like this, constatly waiting a CTD or freeze, saving each 3 min, and that feeling when you jump/run, you feel a CTD coming. Looks like SE is the only one chance to play without that feeling, finally play my fantasy world without headache waiting a CTD. Also with SE i could install some DLC sized Mods and increase the game time life and fun, but the true fun is play without CTD.

SE strings counts limit is bigger than 65k (Oldrim) right?

I know that feel, I recently started playing Skyrim again with mods and I'm trying not to overload it too much with mods, and so far things seem stable. Just can't live without HDT, characters just seem lifeless to me without physics.

2 hours ago, draconious2 said:

I know that feel, I recently started playing Skyrim again with mods and I'm trying not to overload it too much with mods, and so far things seem stable. Just can't live without HDT, characters just seem lifeless to me without physics.

An HDT substitute is available in SE now - CBP Physics. That does provide body 'movement' (breasts, etc.) but not the independently animated clothing or hair that you can get with HDT in skyrim le. That functionality is in development, but buggy. The SE conversion tracking page has up to date info.

The only thing I really still miss from Oldrim is CACO.  Everything else that I had before I have either an official conversion, converted the old one myself, or have a superior replacement.  I don't have the skills to convert a DLL unfortunately.

The kicker for me is that there's no way I would be able to get my current load order to work in oldrim but it's rock solid in SE.

As a point of comparison.  Fallrim Tools reports my current game's save in SE has 74,038 strings, 9899 scripts, and 204,890 script instances and I can play for hundreds of hours at a time with zero crashes.  If I tried to reproduce that in oldrim I suspect I couldn't even load the game and if I did it would crash constantly.  This includes mods that people consider problematic from a stability standpoint in oldrim like Legacy of the Dragonborn, Campfire, Frostfall, Footprints, Sexlab, iNeed, etc.

Hi everyone, 

Steam is having their summer sale and I have been at a crossroads on which version to get, I specifically am interested in the adult mods with the bondage themes.  While I am a well known modder for GTA V, I know nothing about the world of modding skyrim.  If you could please let me know what will be best and why I would greatly appreciate it. 

I am looking at getting the game and need help when it comes to which version, I am looking to use the bondage fetish mods and wanted to know what will be best.  I have heard the SE version does not quite have as much converted but all this info was from old threads.   

7 minutes ago, Sereous said:

I am looking at getting the game and need help when it comes to which version, I am looking to use the bondage fetish mods and wanted to know what will be best.  I have heard the SE version does not quite have as much converted but all this info was from old threads.   

SSE is getting more and more mods every day.

Still not all mods from Legendary Edition are converted, but it is just a matter of time.

2 minutes ago, Sereous said:

is there enough to do all the bondage/slave animations scripts with the SE?  I also heard that SE has better memory.

Thank you so much for your help

You can do some bondage right now.

A few mods are still not ported.

Oldrim (Skyrim Legendary Edition AKA: the old version) in my opinion is better for adult mods. I'm not sure of the status of adult mods in Special Edition, but I think they're still working on developing adult mods for it. It's only taking them this long because skse (skyrim script extender) for special edition was taking forever to develop and most complex mods need that to function. Both versions of the game have their own pros and cons.

Pro Legendary edition: Has more mods.

Con Legendary edition: Is not as stable as special edition when you have a shit ton of mods in it.

Pro Special edition: MUCH more stable (at least from what I hear).

Con Special edition: Doesn't have many complex mods available, at least compared to oldrim.

I'm no expert and I'm sure someone else can explain better than me/correct me but this is just my two cents.

One thing is for certain is that eventually Special Edition WILL catch up to Oldrim and will even surpass it, but that could be another year or two...

Ultimately Special Edition is going to be better on a technical level, and as more and more mods get ported over from the Legendary Edition it will be the better experience later on.

But if you have to play the game right now, the Legendary Edition simply has more content. If you absolutely can not wait and have to have the game right now, Legendary Edition is the way to go. If you're patient and don't mind waiting, Special Edition might be the best choice.

32bit/Legendary Edition is the preferred version, but you can convert most 32bit mods to 64Bit now (but i think ENB is still having problems with 64Bit)

note: you CAN'T convert 64Bit mods back to 32Bit, so if you plan on making any mods it's better to make them in/for 32Bit Skyrim first.