Beyond Skyrim: Bruma

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2018 at 1:09 AM, Midnight19 said:

i heard that the "special edition" was only getting Bruma and nothing else, i lost my last Skyrim setup and have no Motivation to redownload everything, but then i saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0QBfC75FwI trailer of BS Morrowind and if its coming for the Original Skyrim i would have a reason to get back into Skyrim.

Actually, it looks like Three Kingdoms: Iliac Bay will be the next release.

They've gone on record multiple times saying they are planning to move exclusively to SE because it can actually handle all the stuff they're trying to do, such as open cities and the like, not to mention SE being much more stable overall.  Bruma and Atmora are the only one's they've said will be released on LE (to the best of my knowledge).

It sucks, but their reasons are valid.

Nah, they aren't valid, and they're literally shooting themselves in the face by cutting off quite literally half of their potential customers when they already have an established workflow to handle it.

As someone in the industry, I can tell you when I see a CV of work and assets that were "made for just one fork because it was easier" the chances of you getting hired for anything are quite low, cause you're pretty much the opposite of what a company is looking for.

The versions don't even have to be 1:1, but starting out with two platforms and dropping one arbitrarily is not how you win fans, and the "whinge" that one platform should be the platform of choice is way ironic considering the standard OMG SSE VERSION WHEN WHEN NAOW NAO NAO WHEN tact fans take.

You seem to forget that this is a volunteer project made in peoples' free time.  Sure, from the standpoint of someone in the industry operating under the assumption these people want in (a fair assumption, but an assumption nonetheless), you're quite right.  But these aren't paid professionals.  They're just using their free time, and with an already agonizingly slow development pace, it makes sense to scale down to keep an already incredibly ambitious project from growing too big to sustain.

I mean, in terms of personal opinions, I'm with you - I can't fathom why they couldn't just start with closed cities and open them up for the SSE version if they're so hellbent on having them, since it's the strain from those that's bound to cause the most issues with LE, and by extension why SSE is simply better suited to handle it.  But you're looking at it from a narrow perspective - that of an industry insider, holding them to the same level of expectations of paid professionals.  This is a passion project.  Nobody over there is getting paid to maintain multiple branches.

You don't have to hire them, but just because you wouldn't doesn't necessarily make them bad or wrong.

I'm not operating under any assumption, I'm on several of the forums where these people have been plain about their aspirations, and what they would like from the project, and at one point a couple guys actively tried to recruit me for asset work based on stuff I've done on said forums, which is why I have the viewpoint I do.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried this mod in a while but I am assuming they still don't want to fix that open cities thing and put the load doors back in? I remember seeing a dragon fly through the ground and roast almost all the npcs in the major hold there near the border last time I played it. I couldn't even talk to any of them before the roasting began. If they can't even fix that then what a waste of time to play a major mod that can't even get basic stuff right.

• 1 month later...

Had this installed and played it for the first time recently. For some reason almost all the dungeons are level scaled weirdly and while some are very good they kind of suck. Like I got an Ayleid ruin with an amazing voice actor as a lich for the whole ruin but his minions died in one hit and my shiny sense vitals spell dictates they're level 15-25. Well i'm level 48 in fully smithed Legendary gear and weapons! So I kind of eradicated him in 5 seconds flat. Also I have to say I disagree with some of the dungeon designs I've seen. But that could be personal preference. Plus if the rest of it's going to be SSE only I'll never play it unfortunately. Can't live without my lewd mods thats just life.

Speaking of which. Every time I see a goblin using reikling skeletons or an ogre with giant ones I can't help but think why can't I let these have their way with my charachter? Whenever I try it's like "OgreRace is not applicable" and so forth. Tell me we have a patch for this by now that lets us boink these majestic new additions? That's all we really need!

On 5/4/2018 at 1:59 AM, Jexsam said:

They've gone on record multiple times saying they are planning to move exclusively to SE because it can actually handle all the stuff they're trying to do, such as open cities and the like, not to mention SE being much more stable overall.  Bruma and Atmora are the only one's they've said will be released on LE (to the best of my knowledge).

It sucks, but their reasons are valid.

I thought with microsoft fixing the win10 direct9 issue that limited it to 4gb memory the differences between the two had become a lot more narrow?

On 7/1/2018 at 11:44 AM, pinky6225 said:

I thought with microsoft fixing the win10 direct9 issue that limited it to 4gb memory the differences between the two had become a lot more narrow?

Not quite, Skyrim still has 3.1 crash bug, it's a 32bit app so it can use only about 3-4 GB of RAM (3.1+ causes crash), ofc you can fix it with ENB, Crash Fixes etc etc but Skyrim SE don't need this from the start, I'm using 9000+ animations with FNIS XXL (I converted all SLAL packs from this site [and not only] for my personal usage :P ) already in Skyrim SE and I don't crash at load game like in Skyrim LE. 

Also SE support DX11 and is native 64 bit application, which can better manage CPU, RAM and VRAM usage = better performance. So yeah it's a good choice for them, I wish Enderal was the same...

The difference is that Oldrim's problems are fixable. SSE's aren't yet - many of them, sure - but by no means completely.

For example, a couple weeks ago, someone managed to code up a true SKSE locational damage plugin with basically no overhead. The holy grail of doing location damage in Skyrim combat. But despite everyone wanting it for SKSE, it's simply not convertible with what we have now.

Disappointed that there are so many issues with this mod and think I'll give it a miss. I'm also not moving over to SSE and losing all my sex mods. Enderal is a fun total conversion with a lot of detail but I wouldn't be playing it either if my character couldn't fuck.

No point is wasting time with mods that won't waste time with the potential downloaders they'd have.

It's also plainly clear this is just CV work and not actually made for a genuine player experience.

Also:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim     13,235,488
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition     4,398,897

Claiming this is all for the fans and leaving out 70% of the fans is what we in the interactive storytelling industry refer to as "some ol' bullshit"

7 hours ago, 27X said:

No point is wasting time with mods that won't waste time with the potential downloaders they'd have.

It's also plainly clear this is just CV work and not actually made for a genuine player experience.

Also:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim     13,235,488
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition     4,398,897

Claiming this is all for the fans and leaving out 70% of the fans is what we in the interactive storytelling industry refer to as "some ol' bullshit"

Exactly. It's what I've been saying about the Beyond Skyrim project ever since they made such a stupid announcement. If the numbers were the other way around, then it would be semi-fair to call the LE fans old gripers, but the fact is that the vast majority of players are still playing Oldrim.

But then again, it took them six years to release half (a third?) of ONE module. Hopes for more Beyond Skyrim releases may just be a paper dream anyway.

The thing which disappoints me most is that the Atmora crew joined them, which seems to have slowed down progress on Atmora to a crawl (even though the Atmora team is still planning a LE release as they had most of the work done for LE already).

At least with Beyond Reach we have a sort of pseudo-BS: High Rock and Bruma gives us a partial BS: Cyrodil. That leaves Orsinium, Hammerfell, and Morrowind as territories bordering Skyrim with no completed mod in seven years to speak of. Having no access to even a partial Morrowind is especially annoying because unlike the closed gates to Hammerfell, the route to Morrowind is just an invisible wall with a tempting semi-complete landmass beyond, plus Morrowind has arguably the most interactions going on with Skyrim after Cyrodil, due to all the Dunmer refugees.

If I had more time, I would very seriously consider trying to start working on some sort of minimum-viable-product Morrowind, probably using existing map space and focusing mainly on just adding the city of Blacklight and some surrounding territory, perhaps with poisonous volcanic fumes or some other credible barrier being used to wall the player off of southern Morrowind/Vvardenfell.

• 6 months later...
31 minutes ago, maxwellfoto said:

Hi friends its amazing mod. but npc is not beautiful and not sexy

have mod raplacer npc?

I started on an overhaul for weapons and npcs a year ago and quit because of the rest of everything being for SSE only. Had about a third of the female npcs done and had permissions from several authors to use their weapons. Very disappointing decision from them as far as I was concerned. I still have BSBruma installed, though. If for no other reason to have a bit of Cyrodiil in my game. Fixing some of the mods shortcomings isn't hard- like changing the level of enemies and stuff. As far as making Cyrodiil creatures work with Sexlab mods, I would think it would only require giving them the proper flags and keywords since they use the same skellys and rigging. Just expect major clipping since they are somewhat different models. Of course I'm not saying any of this with much certainty- especially concerning Sexlab creature animations lol. ;)

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

I started on an overhaul for weapons and npcs a year ago and quit because of the rest of everything being for SSE only. Had about a third of the female npcs done and had permissions from several authors to use their weapons. Very disappointing decision from them as far as I was concerned. I still have BSBruma installed, though. If for no other reason to have a bit of Cyrodiil in my game. Fixing some of the mods shortcomings isn't hard- like changing the level of enemies and stuff. As far as making Cyrodiil creatures work with Sexlab mods, I would think it would only require giving them the proper flags and keywords since they use the same skellys and rigging. Just expect major clipping since they are somewhat different models. Of course I'm not saying any of this with much certainty- especially concerning Sexlab creature animations lol. ;)

please send us upload your work
  • 5 months later...

Well, good news for anyone hoping some more of this comes to LE. One of the team members said this in response to someone when they said they just have Oldrim on nexus;

"Do keep in mind that Atmora and Roscrea will be releasing on Oldrim! You still have a couple more adventures in store from Beyond Skyrim."

Which makes me wonder why some and not all? I'm guessing one of them could probably be released before year's end and the other early next year.

Spoiler

Archived