Rumor: Skyrim remaster at E3 2016 !

nunu87

You shouldn't worry about it breaking all existing mods. Because it will break all existing mods.

It's quite the embarrassing project if you ask me. It has modding potential due to its updated, less-Stone-Age engine, but on the other hand most players a) are already burnt out of Skyrim's vanilla content, b ) heavily-modded their games and can't live without them and c) most likely aren't patient enough to wait for/remake the same mods.

well me personaly will wait for the mods to get up to date on it :D and since it will be added as an spereate game and not an update means that ul just have too keep playing the normal skyrim until the modding comunity have figured out theyr stuff

Honestly don't really see the point of it. I mean there is no way Bethesda can produce anything of worth that the modders haven't done already. Most people who are interested in Skyrim have a copy already and makeing any "enhanced" re-release with higher spec requirements useless, especially since theres 8k mods.

I think its just going to be something along the lines of the High texture pack, that no one ever really uses since they suck by comparison to anything on nexus and eat up way too much computing power to be worth it.

You are not the target. The target is the person X that used to have skyrim on xbox 360 or Ps3 (the latter got screwed as Skyrim never really worked on PS3: more CTD than most badly modded skyrim on PC) to buy it again on PS4 or xbone. This is a regular "HD remix"  hence why it is given "free" to PC players.

The addition of modding is mostly because this is the new Bethesda thing: they realized how much modding made money for them on PC (skyrim is probably the game that sold well the longest time in gaming history) and want to replicate this model on console. But be sure that it is the feature they want to sell more than the upgrade in graphic (or the vanilla game itslef).

There's both good and bad in this story: bethesda try to push modding to be more mainstream, if successful that will mean that both Bethesda and other studio will make more effort to be a viable way to extend the game lifetime (better tools one could hope), this also mean that modding would be "mainstream" (meaning less freedom on what can be done). This also mean that bethesda will have to get their sh*t together to protect mod authors (not like they did until now) and maybe will have a better understanding on what is needed by modder (it becomes their interest to support mod authors as they are now a "core feature" of 2 of their games officially)

As for Skyrim itself it is true too that the new update may result on a big mess (not only on the mess we had with Fallout mod update but people suddenly having their game not working on their platforms or mods needing to be update). Hopefully they will offer a way to transition  slowly (maybe a beta program at least ?) or better the choice to opt-out from the update.

I guess we will see.

well me personaly will wait for the mods to get up to date on it :D and since it will be added as an spereate game and not an update means that ul just have too keep playing the normal skyrim until the modding comunity have figured out theyr stuff

An even bigger problem for people who do wait is that many mods are dead. They remain functional and usable only because Skyrim itself has entered stasis.

One update (and a really major one while we're at it) and those will be gone for good.

If it's going to look as good as F4 without ENBs, have higher textures, 64-bit support with more reasonable memory limitations then bring it on!

I seriously doubt they will intentionaly break mod support, but on the other hand as long as mod uses dll files - like SKSE it's more than likely it won't work with 64-bit executable.

I feel like a lot of people's fears are based on the unfounded assumption that Bethesda is for some reason going to go the extra mile and remake Skyrim on FO4's engine... which would be an utter waste of time and money for them. This is not how cross-generation ports or remasters of games work.

the unknown factor here is that FO4 exists because they actually started porting Skyrim, first. from what i understand they basically got half way done and were like "lets actually make a new game first" - so its not like they are starting now and rushing to do this. they have been doing this for a long time. it is plausable that we see an updated papyrus vm.

It's possible but nuh... updated papyrus would be nice. I can't have nice things. Skyrim's Papyrus with all its inability to process simple instructions in a timely manner, inefficient use of resources and vulnerability to disruption is meant to be the bane of my existence. I wouldn't know what to do with my life if papyrus issues got any attention from the devs.

If it's going to look as good as F4 without ENBs, have higher textures, 64-bit support with more reasonable memory limitations then bring it on!

I seriously doubt they will intentionaly break mod support, but on the other hand as long as mod uses dll files - like SKSE it's more than likely it won't work with 64-bit executable.

it seems like you still haven't watched the trailer, go on watch it.

It'd be great if they fixed some of the numerous engine bugs that modders have had to work around or try and fix themselves, without any access to the game engine code.

Surely, for example, the memory block allocation bug Skyrim has would need to be fixed by the dev's in order to bring the new textures, effects, etc, with mod support to consoles, right? I'm certain that consoles won't have access to the amazing SKSE type tools we have, and it'd be useless being only able to install 2 mods on console before Skyrim had to allocate more memory with a 50% chance of crashing each time.

And it'd be sweet if a 64 bit engine let us have 2^32 mods active instead of 2^8

Maybe it'll actually be good, guys? Or maybe it'll just be a slapped together ENB on regular Skyrim ;_;

Lol I own both a pirated version of legendary edition and the actual legendary edition on Steam.

I guess I am safe.

I heard they are going to have more content to it too like quests and armors so its not going to be just a reskin.

I'm not worried about FNIS since it's unlikely the remaster is going to mess with the existing havok behaviour system. 

why don't we have FNIS working for FO4 yet then? remembering FO4 was branched from the Skyrim remastering it is also very likely the animation system has more changes for their fluidity crap.

they have been cooking on this a long time... with the 3d world already created the years they have been working on this before branching FO4 is plenty of time to rework the scripting and animations. no time needs to be wasted on art design, quest design, or plot. just time spent solely on technical implementation. literally. they have had nothing else to do /but/ change the technical implementations. why else would you rework the same game instead of a new one?

no expectations, no disappointments, through the careful application of observation.

as much as i'd love to be wrong... i am on a really good streak so far with foreseeing bethesda's hijinxen these past few years. even the fo4 portion of tonights video i foresaw, based on their behaviours of how the hearthfire expansion came to be. my streak is fire.

Guest Electriq

Does Bethesda don't know that mods can already make Skyrim into "special edition" and even better than that, it's like they live in a cave

I bet they just want a cash grab, console players will definitely buy it

Not to mention that there is a big chance that this will break tons of mods like people here mentioned

Instead of making a new game, or new expansion for Skyrim, hell, even remastering Oblivion/Morro, they decide to make a worthless Skyrim remaster, that's hilarious :D

I'm sure that's the long awaited switch to their new engine. It's about 2 years now that they have applied for all trademarks and things.

I think they made this step in order not to have the hazzle to deal with a new game AND a new engine. Basically, all who use this "remastered" version will be Beta testers, nothing else. And if so, FNIS of course will be unusable.

Even if they leave the Skyrim animations untouched (which I don't think, since there are many animation released which were "forgotten" in the behaviors), the interface between the the engine and Havok will change. THey made some really awkward interface workarounds (for example to make furniture animations work). And I'm sure that these will drastically change.

And FNIS is changing things so deeply, not only the xml data, but also these work-around tricks, that it would be a miracle if the behavior system would be untouched.

I'm very cynical about this new announcement. I think in order to rein in modders and provide additional revenue, they will force a 64 bit upgrade with no option to play the old version. Steam is very aggressive about updates, so I have started only playing offline. I have also changed my computers's clocks to 2001 in hopes that Steam won't try to update for another 15 years. :shy:  

Call me paranoid, but I've invested 1,000s of hours in this hobby. I've also backed up all files on a separate drive. I remember losing access to the Morrowind CK and don't want that to happen again.

All media is moving in the direction of pay as you go, it's only a matter of time before lawyers force gaming companies to follow suit. Profit trumps all. It's the law.

And it'd be sweet if a 64 bit engine let us have 2^32 mods active instead of 2^8

Would you really want to try and find out which mod is causing problems if you were dealing with a potential 65535 esp/esm rather than the possible 255 that you can use now? I know I would not.

I don't see why the Legendary and the Remastered editions should co-exist as two separate games on Steam, especially considering that owners of the LE will get it for free. They'll probably remove the LE from Steam and the "Remastered" will remain as the only Skyrim edition on Steam. Steam may or may not keep the original LE files for the previous owners to download but you probably won't be able to buy the LE after Oct 28. If I were you, I'd make a backup of the LE files and start searching for a "crack", in case you really want to continue playing this game after October 28 with the same mod setup.

I don't really know what kind of improvements this "remastered" version will have over the LE, but it seems more like a move towards making it Beth.net/paid mods compatible, which isn't surprising.

Yeah alot of mods might not work at first, but you can still play original version with enb and all your mods anyway ... so why are people getting so upset over basically nothing?

If anything, the game might be wayyyy more stable if it's anything like fallout 4.

I've had fallout 4 maybe crash once in the 516 hours I've played it so far, vanilla skyrim on the other hand can even crash when alt tabbing -_-'

And it makes sense this version is a seperate thing.

Other games have done it aswell like wasteland 2 or divinity: original sin, which both are performance upgrades over the original and offer addition stuff aswell.

I mean, lets say they made a remastered for xbone and ps4 only, this thread would have people whining that PC isn't getting remaster ...

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Archived