Rumor: Skyrim remaster at E3 2016 !

nunu87

I don't see why the Legendary and the Remastered editions should co-exist as two separate games on Steam, especially considering that owners of the LE will get it for free. They'll probably remove the LE from Steam and the "Remastered" will remain as the only Skyrim edition on Steam. Steam may or may not keep the original LE files for the previous owners to download but you probably won't be able to buy the LE after Oct 28. If I were you, I'd make a backup of the LE files and start searching for a "crack", in case you really want to continue playing this game after October 28 with the same mod setup.

I don't really know what kind of improvements this "remastered" version will have over the LE, but it seems more like a move towards making it Beth.net/paid mods compatible, which isn't surprising.

Re: -"I don't see why the Legendary and the Remastered editions should co-exist as two separate games on Steam"

Because of the same reason you have "Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga" & "Divinity II: Developers Cut". They are different. It's not really much hassle from Steams point of view, (or yours for that matter), to have them both in the list at the same time, (and avoids complaints/class actions from people with perfectly good installs fucked up by a blanket install of a 'new' version).

Am I the only person here that think that they simply updated the graphics engine, updated their 3rd party libraries to 64-bit versions, and left all of the internal game logic the same? It makes no sense for Bethesda to lock out 95% of the previous mods. A Skyrim re-release isn't going to produce some second renaissance of Skyrim mods. They have to leverage the existing mods. Not to mention, I doubt that they want to roll out a special version of the Creation Kit just for Skyrim: Special Edition and console mods. Waaay too much work for all parties.

Moving to DX11 and updating to a 64-bit EXE should only break SKSE, ENB, and SKSE plugins. Hopefully for SKSE and its plugins, that'll only take some small tweaks (retarget libraries / Windows APIs) and a recompile to fix. Updating Skyrim to use the full game engine from FO4 is way more work than I think Bethesda would really want to put into a 5 year old game. That would be similar to Skywind, Skyblivion, or Morroblivion. 

It's a free, optional update for most PC players. If you don't like it, don't use it. Even in the worst case scenario, no one is taking your current Skyrim away.

EDIT:

Somewhat of a confirmation from Pete that old mods will work.

I agree, the only reason they would do this in the first place is to give console users access to the mod library already in place. Updating to Fallout 4's 

CK would pretty much negate the entire library for everyone. 

If anything 64-bit should be a boon for modders, no more goddamn 4GB RAM limit which causes so much of the instability issues once you start adding hundreds of mods. 

I would think that any mod that doesn't require SKSE should work as-is, since the mods themselves don't have a platform dependency from what I can tell.  With any luck, since the SKSE team is also making FO4SE they should be able to get a 64-bit update out as well if needed.

This biggest potential issue I see actually with 64-bit is Fores New Idles being totally unusable for Mod Organizer users now.  You will need to upgrade to 64-bit MO (the one you need to use for Fallout 4) due to the way virtual folders work.  32-bit apps like Generate FNIS for Users will not work with 64-bit virtual folders unless upgraded as well.  Unfortunately, Fores had a major falling out with the Mod Organizer team due to an edge-case incompatibility that MO won't address, and he has sworn off all use of and compatability with Mod Organizer as a result.  So any mod that requires extra animations, like the large majority of mods here, will require users to use NMM and directly write to their Skyrim\Data folder, or not use them at all.

Re: -"I don't see why the Legendary and the Remastered editions should co-exist as two separate games on Steam"

Because of the same reason you have "Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga" & "Divinity II: Developers Cut". They are different.

"Divinity II - Developer's Cut" is the only edition sold on Steam.

IF (and it's a big IF) beth is smart, they'll have SKSE funtions built in.

FNIS ability as well.

Why on earth they never put in an MCM framework from the getgo, I'll never understand.

SKSE and MCM really really should not be needed as addons for a game these days.

CK is probably going to be the same we use for FO4. A lot of skyrim stuff is still in there.

Probably as a separate item in the bethnet launcher tho (fine).

I would really like it if they did it that way, AND allowed us to use assets from one game in the other.

(would open up all kinds of possiblilites)

:D

Mind you, I'm hedging my bets, and will have manual downloads of all the mods I use, may use etc, prior to

the new release. (just in case)  Oh, and backups of the game, saves, MO profiles ad nauseum.  :)

"Separate entry" on Steam doesn't mean it'll be a different game, it just means a different package (e.g. FO3 vs. FO3 GoTY or Skyrim vs. Skyrim LE etc).

And even if they publish it as a different game, there's no guarantee that your game will not get upgraded.

"Separate entry" on Steam doesn't mean it'll be a different game, it just means a different package (e.g. FO3 vs. FO3 GoTY or Skyrim vs. Skyrim LE etc).

And even if they publish it as a different game, there's no guarantee that your game will not get upgraded.

"Separate entry" means that on Steams file servers there are a different set of file from one entry in your library to another. It's a different installation. (For all Steam cares they could name every game in your library as Teddy Bear Drift, however each of those entries could be pointing to a different set of files).

"there's no guarantee that your game will not get upgraded."

Well apart from their business model would then be fucked.

Lol I own both a pirated version of legendary edition and the actual legendary edition on Steam.

I guess I am safe.

I heard they are going to have more content to it too like quests and armors so its not going to be just a reskin.

I would not hold my breath nor get hyped that they are adding any new pieces of content.

The only thing I wonders is how many things modders have done are now included in the remaster.

The thing I hope for is no more havok bug when FPS > 60. Not that it matters to me at the moment, but for VR and 60+Hz Monitors.

Even if the save is not upgradeable, as long as modders figure out the fileformat someone might write a converter.

Mods would be a hassle for it, as it depends on filenames. We don't know if mods need to be recreated/ported.

"Separate entry" means that on Steams file servers there are a different set of file from one entry in your library to another. It's a different installation. (For all Steam cares they could name every game in your library as Teddy Bear Drift, however each of those entries could be pointing to a different set of files).

What would happen if you already had Skyrim plus all available DLCs, minus Dragonborn, and you've just bought Dragonborn? You now have the "Legendary Edition", which is a different package. Would Steam reinstall the whole game into a separate folder just because you now have the LE?

They may release the "Special Edition" as a separate game to replace the LE, and in the mean time as an upgrade in the form of a freebie DLC, for the previous owners of Skyrim LE. When you buy this new DLC, the LE you have will be upgraded to the Special Edition and your previous installation will get overwritten by the new files. This is most likely what will happen.

If it's going to look as good as F4 without ENBs, have higher textures, 64-bit support with more reasonable memory limitations then bring it on!

I seriously doubt they will intentionaly break mod support, but on the other hand as long as mod uses dll files - like SKSE it's more than likely it won't work with 64-bit executable.

it seems like you still haven't watched the trailer, go on watch it.

I don't know what you want to say...

If it's going to look as good as F4 without ENBs, have higher textures, 64-bit support with more reasonable memory limitations then bring it on!

I seriously doubt they will intentionaly break mod support, but on the other hand as long as mod uses dll files - like SKSE it's more than likely it won't work with 64-bit executable.

it seems like you still haven't watched the trailer, go on watch it.

I don't know what you want to say...

oh lol quoted the wrong guy lol really sorry about that.

The vanilla Skyrim character face meshes were very blocky (particularly female characters) and it wasn't until modders created new head and body meshes that they actually looked halfway decent and smooth/rounded.

bba035489195887.jpg

Guest endgameaddiction

The joy of console thieves taking mods and porting them for consoles since olds mods will be compatible. Oh well, it's going to suck for those out there who no longer support their mod and have moved on. Not knowing their work is being compromised.

Such a perfect timing to rub more salt to the wound. Maybe they'll get their heads out of their ass by the time it's October.

Lol I own both a pirated version of legendary edition and the actual legendary edition on Steam.

I guess I am safe.

I heard they are going to have more content to it too like quests and armors so its not going to be just a reskin.

I would not hold my breath nor get hyped that they are adding any new pieces of content.

From the Steam store page, the new quests, armor. weapons and so on, comes from mods aiming Console users:

Skyrim Special Edition also brings the full power of PC mods to consoles.  New quests, environments, characters, dialogue, armor, weapons and more – with Mods, there are no limits to what you can experience.

Yeah, that will effectively end Skyrim modding. The game is way too old to start from scratch to make things work. It's things like this that should have been done to begin with. It's been nice knowing everyone.

Too soon to tell, right now one can only speculate about the compatibility level. Like Fore explain on the last page, it depends a lot on what the "new" version touches and right now we don't know what will be changed.

i see things like UI, AI, and navmeshing being left alone as the code sits on top of the game engine and 64bit won't make much difference BUT, havok is a third party library tacked onto the game engine, improvements come from interfacing with the 64bit updated havok library without much work and animations and clutter physics are two places skyrim was limited by 32bit - they may include hair physics and cloth physics too but that's still 50/50

if they updated the animations then comparing the old and new may help in understanding FO4's animations too if they didn't just throw out the old and redo all animations from scratch (which bethesda might do)

I think it will be packaged as a new game.  My question is will people be able to take current Skyrim mods and use them for the new system.  I'm also wondering if Bethesda will include all of the DLCs or will they try to nickle and dime again with a 'Season Pass' scheme.  Whatever the case with Skyrim for PS4 and Xbox1, I'm not enthused.  It will spell nothing but trouble for Skyrim modding.  Look at what Bethesda.net and mods for consoles has done to FO4.  And now Bethesda wants to do it to Skyrim to.

I think this is simply a way for them to get Skyrim under their Bethesda.net umbrella.  Monetized modding was a shit show.  Now no one will be able to complain since Skyrim 'Special Edtion' will be a 'new game'.  Well, not really new since it uses the same Creation engine.  They've just used technology that was already available when Skyrim 2011 was released to improve it for the console market.  Think of it as Skyrim with a built in ENB...that Bethesda can use a console mod platform.  They just want a way to get Skyrim mods on consoles so they 'control' it and make a profit from a game that was outdated when it was initially released.

Nothing I saw impressed me and it does nothing for modders and PC gamers.

Archived