Paid mods and Bethesda announcement on the E3

I hope you realize the ultimate goal is to get into the retail platform business like Steam. With their back catalog and franchises + Paid mods, they are guaranteed to do quite well. Sure there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth from the existing fanbase but they don't care about you.

Look at NMM, no one used to WB or MO uses it but new people get indoctrinated by it first. It's the same strategy and typical bethesda shenanigans. Throw the existing fanbase under the bus like a used whore to appeal to the dumb and dumber crowd.

It is the same trap but with different equation, buy credits to download mods, you are spending your money to download mods anyway.

Ultimately this is why everything Bethesda says is a carefully calculated lie.

This isn't about supporting modders, it never was. It's about Bethesda finding a way to cash in on the modding community because all this bloated indstry thinks of is money and nothing else, even if provably fostering a community like this and treating them fairly will earn them more money in the end.

"Credits" are specifically designed to make the user buy them in bulk, and will often cost more to use and be given less to purchase a given amount. Oh that mod costs 150 credits? Well you can buy packs of 100 or 500! What, you only want 150? Sorry. Not an option!

Note again that companies like Colossal Order don't do this, their packs made by modders are relatively rare (4-5 packs vs hundreds of mods) and just cost money, no funbucks or anything dodgy.

What Bethesda are doing are trying to normalise mods as microtransactions, and using modders to do the work for them.

If it succeeds look forward to a future of DRM locked mods exclusively avaiable through Bethesda, paid or not. They will control the distribution and lock down the files, it will be too profitable for them not to.

So say goodbye to community and mods building upon mods. And sites like this and all the mods within.

Imagine UUNP special having a 100$ price tag to it. 

gg no re.

All jokes aside though, what do you guys think will happen? does this affect us in any way at all? will bethesda come in with their skyrim Secret service and shut us all down cuz they got their own loverslab section on creation club?(kidding). but ye discuss.

If they allowed any of the mods from the great LL into the CC, I'm pretty sure the game would have to be rerated as AO+ and isn't that an autobanhammer from Steam, Sony and Xbox?

Murder, mayhem, and general destruction are perfectly fine for our children, but we must protect them from the vile evil of breast physics!! /sarcasm

So say goodbye to community and mods building upon mods. And sites like this and all the mods within.

So you believe new paid modders come out of the blue ha, virtually hearing a voice from above that tells the rookies to dive into the code to see blondes, brunettes, redheads and twelve months later, you wouldn't believe it, they appear as well-paid freelancers in the company's Hall of Fame, right? Tell ya what, w/o a free modding community you'd have seen the first and already last mod mercenaries 'cause such a concept, cut off from its interactive roots and supply lines, is stillborn. And don't expect paid folks to cooperate with other paid folks to push the frontiers on a pay-to-play modding platform, don't even think of it.

So you believe new paid modders come out of the blue ha, virtually hearing a voice from above that tells the rookies to dive into the code to see blondes, brunettes, redheads and twelve months later, you wouldn't believe it, they appear as well-paid freelancers in the company's Hall of Fame, right? Tell ya what, w/o a free modding community you'd have seen the first and already last mod mercenaries 'cause such a concept, cut off from its interactive roots and supply lines, is stillborn. And don't expect paid folks to cooperate with other paid folks to push the frontiers on a pay-to-play platform, don't even think of it.
Forgive me if I don't quite understand you but I think you're saying that paid mods couldn't exist without this current modding community and all the skill and cooperation they've developed?

Of course I agree. But the problem is I think Bethesda doesn't. All they see is an untapped market they can take advantage of.

Bethesda have already shown themselves to be avaricious and anti-consumer, their no reviews before launch policy not only being a slap in the face, but actively hurting games like Doom where people were put off despite it being fantasitc.

It's things like that which tell me Bethesda only think of short term profits and not long term consequences and my biggest fear is Bethesda will seek to lock down and control PC mods as they already virtually do console mods.

I am pretty sure that 95% of the mods on this site aren´t going to be allowed on the Creation Club.

You can be 100% sure they wouldn't. But I at least am speaking of a situation where, once Bethesda have set up a system of paid microtransaction mods, they will seek to lock down all mods through their own system in future games to the point where external mods not approved by them won't be allowed or even cease & desisted.

Maybe some will think I'm doomsaying, but you give this industry and inch and they'll take 10,000 miles, every time.

Forgive me if I don't quite understand you but I think you're saying that paid mods couldn't exist without this current modding community and all the skill and cooperation they've developed?

Of course I agree. But the problem is I think Bethesda doesn't. All they see is an untapped market they can take advantage of.

Let's see if I understand you correctly. You assume Bethesda's (alleged or actual) inability to see past the choices they don't understand? Well, only an insider could tell ya, we however, we have to wait for the end of their, what else, five-year-plan ^^

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that Bethesda calculates on a missing long-term-memory of player generations that likewise last for a mere five years, the usual cycle of role-playing games btw. Even in this very thread people state that they'd like to pay for a mod of a heavily reduced, politically correct controlled mod spectrum, ignoring the fact that they have never paid for one before and most likely ain't big donators either. Do they want to pay for fresh air from now on too? Blaming the gods that air isn't yet privatized and commercialized for the not so free free market where it can be only One? Sorry but these people make absolutely no sense to me, maybe in a parallel world they would.

Let's see if I understand you correctly. You assume Bethesda's (alleged or actual) inability to see past the choices they don't understand? Well, only an insider could tell ya, we however, we have to wait for the end of their, what else, five-year-plan ^^

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that Bethesda calculates on a missing long-term-memory of player generations that likewise last for a mere five years, the usual cycle of role-playing games btw. Even in this very thread people state that they'd like to pay for a mod of a heavily reduced, politically correct controlled mod spectrum, ignoring the fact that they have never paid for one before and most likely ain't big donators either. Do they want to pay for fresh air from now on too? Blaming the gods that air isn't yet privatized and commercialized for the not so free free market where it can be only One? Sorry but these people make absolutely no sense to me, maybe in a parallel world they would.

Las Vegas has privatized air in the form of Oxygen Bars... just sayin.

I guess you could call them air mods ^^

Bethesda is currently the most hated club of the hour!!!!  :P

sorry in German

https://motherboard.vice.com/de/article/bethesda-wird-gerade-zum-meistgehassten-studio-der-stunde

in Germany the hatred rises to Bethesda in to immeasurably!

edit: I already said this company needs a boycott, one must They to stop before They become megalomaniac.  ;)

Why would anyone believe Bethesda words ? 
They are the people who claimed that only 8% of Skyrim players ever modded the game.

When in reality, Skyrim sold 20 mil copies world wide - 14 % of them on PC, only platform where modding is available.

14 % of 20 mil is 2.8 mil and SkyUI has almost 4.5 MILION unique downloads. 

Dont trust them, they are lying to you using typical corporate doublespeak and divide and conquer tactics against community and modders.

They are lying bastards wanting to milk guilble people for their money - plain and simple. 

post-624784-0-31886300-1497543135_thumb.jpg

guys look before we go into this further lets step back and look at the giant picture.....

most of us seem to agree Bethesda = monetized modding fascism

we are angry at the fact they are trying to hurt people and beloved games.

are they succeeding in their 5 year plan ===== yes!

why am I saying this I have been watching this post and some other sites discussing including you-tube where beth has done what it set out to do. Confuse, Blind, deafen, and divide entire fan based communities that are strong enough to fight. we need to come together deliberate over what options we have available to show unity and massed strength. Remember as I quote from planet of the apes "apes alone not strong, apes together.....strong." we must stop trying to piece together a puzzle that is already put together for us the problem is right in our face. This tactic used my a now mega cooperation controlled by the Borg are attempting to pick pocket us. Arguing is only in their favor, lets discuss what are options are in terms of how we can fight back peacefully and show them that we may be used whores but a woman scorned.......that's not funny.

guys look before we go into this further lets step back and look at the giant picture.....

why am I saying this I have been watching this post and some other sites discussing including you-tube where beth has done what it set out to do. Confuse, Blind, deafen, and divide entire fan based communities that are strong enough to fight. we need to come together deliberate over what options we have available to show unity and massed strength. Remember as I quote from planet of the apes "apes alone not strong, apes together.....strong." we must stop trying to piece together a puzzle that is already put together for us the problem is right in our face. This tactic used my a now mega cooperation controlled by the Borg are attempting to pick pocket us. Arguing is only in their favor, lets discuss what are options are in terms of how we can fight back peacefully and show them that we may be used whores but a woman scorned.......that's not funny.

The only thing divisive about this, and the Valve-based paid mods fiasco before it, is how a lot of vocal users want to make it so that it doesn't happen, while a lot of modders think that what modders decide to do with their own stuff is their own decision to make. Beth doesn't divide the community, it does that to itself.

It is the same trap but with different equation, buy credits to download mods, you are spending your money to download mods anyway.

Ultimately this is why everything Bethesda says is a carefully calculated lie.

This isn't about supporting modders, it never was. It's about Bethesda finding a way to cash in on the modding community because all this bloated indstry thinks of is money and nothing else, even if provably fostering a community like this and treating them fairly will earn them more money in the end.

"Credits" are specifically designed to make the user buy them in bulk, and will often cost more to use and be given less to purchase a given amount. Oh that mod costs 150 credits? Well you can buy packs of 100 or 500! What, you only want 150? Sorry. Not an option!

Note again that companies like Colossal Order don't do this, their packs made by modders are relatively rare (4-5 packs vs hundreds of mods) and just cost money, no funbucks or anything dodgy.

What Bethesda are doing are trying to normalise mods as microtransactions, and using modders to do the work for them.

If it succeeds look forward to a future of DRM locked mods exclusively avaiable through Bethesda, paid or not. They will control the distribution and lock down the files, it will be too profitable for them not to.

PLEASE.Let's not support this, do not give beth taste to destroy the community with that cancer of creation club, of course there will be many people who do and fall into the trap. Just do not do it ... it just doesn't work.

The only thing divisive about this, and the Valve-based paid mods fiasco before it, is how a lot of vocal users want to make it so that it doesn't happen, while a lot of modders think that what modders decide to do with their own stuff is their own decision to make. Beth doesn't divide the community, it does that to itself.

hmm aye there sir, I was just seeing anger rise up and wanted to point out common ground, smooth over current tension, I love protest....cough ahem (riots) but only when I know that the community behind is behind a common goal. But I do agree with you statement.

"Your honour, my client did not in fact murder the victim with a gunshot. The victim stepped in the way of the bullet!"

That is exactly the logic you're using. Bethesda have dangled the prospect of making money, and some in their greed are snapping for it regardless of the obvious and overreaching consequences, while the rest of us are telling them to wake up.

Modders can do what they please with their own mods, and the community can tell them when what they're doing is ill advised or flat out self-destructive.

I am once again sick and tired of non-modders who are against this system being painted as entitled, divisive and that we don't have a say. Without the users who play, support and give feedback for these mods, these mods are nothing more than a personal dabble. 

Let's not forget that many of these players become modders themselves, and go on to make great contributions. 

There's a certain group of modders out there who need to stop acting like you're special, stop acting like you have the right to turn a mod into a product and stop acting the rest of us owe you anything.

I say that as someone who has chosen to support modders in the past, and will continue to do so provided they don't display this kind of arrogance.

Some of us users do accept that people can do whatever they want with there own stuff as well :)

A very gross and disingenuous oversimplification.

I am once again sick and tired of non-modders who are against this system being painted as entitled, divisive and that we don't have a say. Without the users who play, support and give feedback for these mods, these mods are nothing more than a personal dabble. 

Oh so much fucking this.
It seems that the arrogance of game developers and publishers, taking the fans for granted and their inability to not treat their userbase like garbage has rubbed off on modders as well.

You can't eat gratitude, though. And it doesn't pay your bills either. I am not sure why people who think about making their hobby a profession deserve to get vilified like that.

What I find arrogant rather, is when users, who generally contribute NOTHING at all to making mods, want to tell developers what they can or cannot do with their stuff they spent countless hours creating. That's quite frankly not your business. It's THEIR stuff and THEIR call. You guys also seem to think you should have a say in this, but really, you do not. That's a matter between the owners of the IP rights of the product, in this case, the modders and Bethesda. If they agree to partner up, make a paid mod/DLC and sell it, that's THEIR RIGHT. You can have an -opinion- about it, but modders/Beth have the complete right to ignore it without asking you. The only right YOU have is not buying the stuff. That's the end of the story.

Personally, I am proud to give away my mods for free and have no plans to monetize them other than accepting Patreon tips, but that's MY decision to make, not YOURS. As said above, the sense of entitlement is strong in this thread. As long as you don't pay them, modders owe you guys exactly -nothing-, but you talk as if you had a god given right to get free stuff. You...don't. If you think we need to be grateful that you play our stuff, you're mistaken. I couldn't even tell you how many downloads my mods have as of today, because I don't care. I have no idea where you guys got this illusion from that we sort of thrive on fame and NEED your recognition. Most modders I know develop mods because they love it, that's really all. And if some of us want to earn money with something they love, there is exactly nothing wrong with that. Actually you -should- love what you make money with.

Then why every modder is losing their shit whenever someone "steals" their assets and don't give them credit?

So you believe new paid modders come out of the blue ha, virtually hearing a voice from above that tells the rookies to dive into the code to see blondes, brunettes, redheads and twelve months later, you wouldn't believe it, they appear as well-paid freelancers in the company's Hall of Fame, right? Tell ya what, w/o a free modding community you'd have seen the first and already last mod mercenaries 'cause such a concept, cut off from its interactive roots and supply lines, is stillborn. And don't expect paid folks to cooperate with other paid folks to push the frontiers on a pay-to-play modding platform, don't even think of it.

Except there's a Sims section and an Adult Section that by and large directly contradict your statement.

DRM

The crux is simply tools. If CC members get unilateral access to tools and other modders don't circa TES VI; welp there's your answer, of course by then it would be a little late to discuss anything about it.

People are overlooking the big picture that leddis and Canaris have pointed out. If this isn't fought and taken down now, then there is a great probability that in 2-5 years there will be no Loverslab or Nexus. Beth will control all mods and only their paid modders, curators, whatever can get a hold of their creation software. There's no gurantee that Beth will do this but you have to ask yourself. What do companys care about the most? Money

are we entitled to free mods? No.

Modders, do what you want. Users do what you want.

To whoever supports this now though...when the worst happens, and it most likely will, don't complain.

Archived