What music do you listen to?

On 9/11/2020 at 5:30 AM, gregathit said:
Spoiler

is somehow known to me, only with other text and from long forgotten time.
I heard this song as a child, was in a cowboy movie, but I remember no more to the title, I believe it was a movie with John Wayne.

i found the movie. 
Oh man, this appeared for the first time, 1949.

Spoiler

There are many variations and in many movies :classic_laugh:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AKM said:

With lyrics on screen:

Hide contents

The Crüxshadows is completely unknown to me, but it sounds good.
do you know why i like english music, because I don't understand the text.
would I understand what they sing, then my opinion would be about english music maybe different. :classic_laugh:

6 hours ago, winny257 said:

do you know why i like english music, because I don't understand the text.
would I understand what they sing, then my opinion would be about english music maybe different. :classic_laugh:

I find that more than mildly amusing.  I listened to Rammstein back in high school for exactly those reasons.  Then I made the mistake of looking up the lyrics to one of my favorite songs.  Oops.  Needless to say, I don't listen to them anymore.

Aannnyway, this one needs some background.

Here's the original episode:

Spoiler

Here's DWK's awesome take on that episode:

Spoiler

And here's the song that you'd really get a much better feel for if you at least watched the episode:

13 minutes ago, AKM said:

I find that more than mildly amusing.  I listened to Rammstein back in high school for exactly those reasons.  Then I made the mistake of looking up the lyrics to one of my favorite songs.  Oops.  Needless to say, I don't listen to them anymore.

Aannnyway, this one needs some background.

Here's the original episode:

Reveal hidden contents

Here's DWK's awesome take on that episode:

Reveal hidden contents

And here's the song that you'd really get a much better feel for if you at least watched the episode:

Oh shit, I do not understand a word. ?

37 minutes ago, AKM said:

Hey, don't say that! Rammstein is still great even if you understand all the lyrics. It's intended to be somewhat ridiculous, just embrace that.

For me it's the opposite. I would love to understand sung English better, then I'd be able to appreciate artists like Leonard Cohen (... ok, he's pretty easy to understand, he just loved to be cryptic as hell) and The Mountain Goats even more than I already do.

2 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Hey, don't say that! Rammstein is still great even if you understand all the lyrics. It's intended to be somewhat ridiculous, just embrace that.

For me it's the opposite. I would love to understand sung English better, then I'd be able to appreciate artists... even more than I already do.

Well, don't be so sure.  I've watched ridiculously popular songs over the years where people who speak the language don't even listen to what's being said.  Prime example:  The One I Love by REM.  It was huge in the bar/club scene in its day, primarily because people saw the title.  What they didn't do was actually listen to the lyrics.  The title says one thing, the lyrics, a totally different one.  Basically, it's about cheating because you're bored of the person you're just using to fill your empty time/life.  Pretty sad, really, and I look around and see that it's the state of relationships in general anymore.

Lyrics on screen:

Spoiler