What music do you listen to?

a lot of different stuff, depending on my mood ^^

- (old school) Hip-Hop/Rap (Snoop Dogg, Dr Dre, NWA, BIG, 2Pac, Eminem)

- Linkin Park (only the old stuff)
- Queen

- Hardstyle, Nightcore, Happy Hardcore, HandsUp

- different pop-songs from my teenage years :D (a lot of late 90s, early 2000s...)

and it really depends on my mood, sometime I listen to the "Best of Queen-Album" for 2 weeks in a row... and changing the playlist to hip-hop within a day :D

I guess to be honest I should state that I haven't even listened to any new music in about 15 years (well a few that were suggested). I do however like many others have stated listen to just about any music. A look through my playlist reveals various and somewhat opposing musical styles and artists. Now I am an older dude and listened often way back in the day, during the 70s any top 100 station played a mix of everything as long as it made the list.

CLASSICAL: Beethoven, Chopin, Wagner, Bach, Tchaikovsky and others.

BIG BAND/SWING: Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Andrews Sisters, Stray Cats and so many more.

EARLY ROCK/DO WOP: Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, The Coasters, The Drifters, Perry Como, (Kyu Sakamoto) and others.

FOLK: Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and so on.

BLUES: Muddy Waters, B B King, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter ect. ect.

PSYCHEDELICA: Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly, Moody Blues there were others but that's all I got.

CLASSIC ROCK (70s 80s): [Heck this list could go on forever]. Just a few of my favs then, ELO, CCR, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, ABBA, Deep Purple, Queen, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rainbow, Three Dog Night, Eurythmics, The Police, Dire Straights: I will stop there since as I said this list alone is extensive. 

I do listen to Metal, Hip Hop, some Country, a bit of Pop (No Rap though not because it is bad per say it just is not singing IMO. Talking in time to a melody is easy even my old ass can do it so this also knocks out a large number early "singers" as well). I've found I have a surprising number of "ONE HIT WONDERS" on my playlist.

Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings this is just one cranky old mans opinion.

13 hours ago, wokking56 said:

I guess to be honest I should state that I haven't even listened to any new music in about 15 years (well a few that were suggested). I do however like many others have stated listen to just about any music. A look through my playlist reveals various and somewhat opposing musical styles and artists. Now I am an older dude and listened often way back in the day, during the 70s any top 100 station played a mix of everything as long as it made the list.

CLASSICAL: Beethoven, Chopin, Wagner, Bach, Tchaikovsky and others.

BIG BAND/SWING: Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Andrews Sisters, Stray Cats and so many more.

EARLY ROCK/DO WOP: Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, The Coasters, The Drifters, Perry Como, (Kyu Sakamoto) and others.

FOLK: Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and so on.

BLUES: Muddy Waters, B B King, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter ect. ect.

PSYCHEDELICA: Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly, Moody Blues there were others but that's all I got.

CLASSIC ROCK (70s 80s): [Heck this list could go on forever]. Just a few of my favs then, ELO, CCR, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, ABBA, Deep Purple, Queen, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rainbow, Three Dog Night, Eurythmics, The Police, Dire Straights: I will stop there since as I said this list alone is extensive. 

I do listen to Metal, Hip Hop, some Country, a bit of Pop (No Rap though not because it is bad per say it just is not singing IMO. Talking in time to a melody is easy even my old ass can do it so this also knocks out a large number early "singers" as well). I've found I have a surprising number of "ONE HIT WONDERS" on my playlist.

Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings this is just one cranky old mans opinion.

I'm almost completely with you (being in my late 40ies).

Next to classical music I'm much into Jazz, not only Big Band/Swing, but from Miles Davis to Pat Metheny, from Keith Jarrett Solo Concerts to Big Band & Vocal Stuff.

I don't care too much about Early Rock/Doo Wop, though it's OK for me. I'm not too much into Folk, Blues and Country either, but it doesn't annoy me as well. I like the late 60ies-70ies Rock-Stuff: Hard Rock, Progressive Rock (and a bit of Metal too).

Some bands/artists I have (almost) complete collections from are: Supertramp, Billy Joel, Harry Connick Jr., Joe Jackson, Judas Priest, Ben Folds (Five), New York Voices.

Bands/artists in my I-have-a-lot-of-music-by-them-list: Queen, Zappa, Phish, Deep Purple, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Pink Floyd, Bowie and lots more.

And I feel the same as you about that Rap-stuff. And disco (and all that followed, that has a stupid four-on-the-floor-groove) can just go away. :)

• 3 weeks later...

What Mr.Otaku said.

Mettallica's Black album (feat. Enter Sandman) was no different to the previous releases, or the subsequent releases either. What changed is the audience was finally ready for them. That's hardly selling out.

The definition of selling out is KISS. Chasing the big bucks was the be all and end all, merchandising and product placement (in particular) was more important than the music. 

Every band wants to make the big time, don't be fooled by the smack talk of the mediocre drop kicks who will never be popular.

Even the ultimate mr perpetually unpopular, Mr Killmister himself said as much. He went so far as to call the haters idiots. All the "Metallica sold out" hype was aimed at the guys getting haircuts for fuck sake. 

As far as I am concerned, haters are not metalheads. Haters are haters, nothing else.

FUCK YEAH TORGUE

This has absolutely nothing to do with 80s Avant-garde music but I'm leaving it here because TORGUE. Also because I forget how to edit shit here.

11 hours ago, stingray1995 said:

Maybe someone can help me.  I've been trying to delve further into the Industrial genre and it seems very difficult to find.  I can't get further than NIN, Manson, Rammstein and so on.  Industrial music is obviously very underground stuff, even more than Black Metal. 

It's been around since the early '70s (yes) and the ideology behind the scene is pretty interesting.  Dark electronic, and overall Electronic music is something I haven't even scratched the surface of.

Off the top of my head, this is about as pure industrial sounding as I can get.  Industrial is actually considered a sub-genre of Electronic, not Rock:

Um...

"A Tribute to Love and Rockets"

Love and Rockets is (was) a band. Did you ever clue off of that?

Google that shit.

Bargain Basement MBM