A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

Start gathering and saving all mods you like to a folder/external hard-drive. Make your "end of modding" packages in preparation of the incoming shit storm.

I have my backups ready ever since I started my adventure with mods...

I thought myself paranoid, but now, considering everything that's happened... Who's laughing now?

EDIT: ALL MODDERS HERE, make sure to immediately label your mods and assets as free to use only for non-profit content. Even the smallest little thing.

Also already done, lol. Way before finding your post. I think I'm very much prepared for the mod-craziness to come >_<

It would be nice to compensate the modders like fore and zaz and so on but the reality is the system will be abused on a regular basis and long term, this whole thing is just the beginning of the end for mods in general. Game companies hate the idea of mods because they usually don't make any money from it. Also mods give new life to old games and companies don't want anyone playing old games. Companies want us playing their latest game with all the extra fees and dlc crap etc. mods allow gamers to enjoy a game but companies don't want us to enjoy anything for too long or they feel like they loose money just like m$ doesn't like everyone still using xp or win7 instead of win8. Ever notice how all the multiplayer maps from games like COD are really small? might as well be in a small interior room with a fake sky painted on the ceiling it is just rediculous! but if you take away better features from the past then eventually the new gamers who haven't enjoyed those things take over the market. This is what will happen they want only new gamers who don't know about all the things that used to be there because they think that means more money for them.

People are getting bent out of shape over nothing. Half the mods on that 'paid' list are junk. Some are also still up for free on Nexus (Wet and Cold specifically). Nobody is forcing you to pay for it.

But damn if modders don't deserve some compensation for all the work they put into what they do. If someone feels it's worth it, they can reward the creator. If not, they can get it for free off the nexus, or somewhere else. it's a free market.

They're junk because the service just launched and because there's currently so much backlash over monetizing what has traditionally been seen as a passion-driven activity. But how long can that last? How long before talented modders feel they'd prefer getting a small paycheck over the appreciation of their followers? How long before the modding scene loses its old identity as the fans' stomping grounds and turns into a competitive for-profit affair? How long before the very games themselves begin to be written so that the use, sharing, and creation of mods are more restrictive, to facilitate turning mods into pocket-sized DLCs?

People are getting bent out of shape over nothing. Half the mods on that 'paid' list are junk. Some are also still up for free on Nexus (Wet and Cold specifically). Nobody is forcing you to pay for it.

But damn if modders don't deserve some compensation for all the work they put into what they do. If someone feels it's worth it, they can reward the creator. If not, they can get it for free off the nexus, or somewhere else. it's a free market.

They're junk because the service just launched and because there's currently so much backlash over monetizing what has traditionally been seen as a passion-driven activity. But how long can that last? How long before talented modders feel they'd prefer getting a small paycheck over the appreciation of their followers? How long before the modding scene loses its old identity as the fans' stomping grounds and turns into a competitive for-profit affair? How long before the very games themselves begin to be written so that the use, sharing, and creation of mods are more restrictive, to facilitate turning mods into pocket-sized DLCs?

So the response should be that users download any mod they feel they should pay for and donate to mod makers there so that the mod maker is getting 100% of the money instead of the tiny cut they'd get on Steam.

The future is really the core issue here and it's disheartening. Hopefully enough players speak with their wallets when that day comes. Without mods and the awesome modders, those games really aren't worth playing to me. I also don't want to spend $60 on a base game+official dlc prices+modded prices and be looking at a $200 single player game experience. That ain't my cup of tea. 

Reading the latest nexus article comments section about this whole thing someone there mentioned Arthmoor charging for mods but when I go back to look for that comment they already deleted it. Looking at arthmoor steam page I don't see any prices listed. Do I have to be logged in to see prices? http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198051804717/myworkshopfiles?p=1

Well, I did find his mod. It's called Castle Volkihar Rebuilt.

Here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=428829799&searchtext=

This isn't nothing. This opens the door for a lot of awful things that could decimate the modding community.

The first and most obvious danger is this opening the door for Steam-exclusive modding. If paid mods proves a successful venture, it could provide incentive for Bethesda to ensure that future games can only be modded via Steam. And make no mistake - Bethesda is a AAA developer and they'll follow the money first and foremost. If they even think the money's there, they'll go for it. They'd already caved to consoles since Morrowind and jumped on Steam's dick with Skyrim. Mod exclusivity is not a huge leap of logic.

Secondly you have the potential damage to the modding community. You're not wrong, mind you - the paid mods right now are 95% shit, but big names have already dipped their toes in the water. If it's successful for them, and if the community at large doesn't make sure the discontent is heard and felt, there's nothing stopping others from taking the same dive. We're already seeing mods as paid exclusive. Wet and Cold won't update for free anymore.

Right now a lot's up in the air and everything is an "if" because it hasn't had a chance to play out. Which us exactly why we need to be vocal (and civil!) about our displeasure. People need to be discouraged from getting involved in this, and Valve/Bethesda need to be constantly inundated by displeasure.

Fores made a move, at least from what I read:

The creator of FNIS has decided not to support the Steam Workshop's monetization of mods, and while I agree with that decision, I don't think for one second that Chesko was stealing anyone's work. He was doing what mod makers regularly do without taking into account how making a profit off of it changed the rules of the game and changed permissions.

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33o8vv/paid_mod_no_longer_for_sale_for_license/cqmw0qk

The argument against paid mods shouldn't be centered around price, greed, or whether it's okay for mod authors to receive compensation. The real issue is modding, especially with Skyrim, is a community activity.

Many mods borrow from others or have dependencies on other mods. It's like open source coding--through borrowing and re-using existing work, the wheel doesn't need to be re-invented, and mod authors can focus on new features. This open atmosphere of sharing content and resources is what allows the creation of high volumes of high quality mods.

Once you try to monetize that, re-using resources is no longer considered sharing, but stealing. And most major mods re-use resources to some extent. Gameplay mods probably use SKSE, SkyUI (MCM), FNIS, or some other framework. Some also borrow assets like item models. NPC mods generally borrow texture mods, hair mods, body mods, clothing mods, etc.

The modding community for Skyrim is undoubtedly one of the most active modding communities out there, but it's also one of the most interconnected. The sheer volume of small mods is amazing, and that creates a giant pool of content to share and build off of. But attempting to monetize mods will destroy the inherent nature of sharing in the community, which is what makes Skyrim modding so successful.

snip.

Right, I really do not want to see money lead to the ruin of a community. 

From Isoku's latest article on Nexus, I can understand him wanting to obtain attention. My thing is, is there really that many people using the Steam Workshop for mods? I cannot fathom how people deal with using it.

That is also one of my gripes about this turn of events.

Chesko has stated that everything he releases on the Workshop will also be available via the Nexus and his own site for free, and hes been honest and open that the "newest" version of his stuff will likely be available on Steam first, but he will only be doing that to give people an option to support his work and if people want it for free they can still get it from the Nexus or his own site not too long after the Steam release.

Last time I checked he wrote

30 to 90 days

If that's NOT too long, then I don't know what is.

Chesko has stated that everything he releases on the Workshop will also be available via the Nexus and his own site for free, and hes been honest and open that the "newest" version of his stuff will likely be available on Steam first, but he will only be doing that to give people an option to support his work and if people want it for free they can still get it from the Nexus or his own site not too long after the Steam release.

30 to 90 days

Even without the wait, would you wait some of his Steam Workshop mods? Like I said in my earlier post, sharing is what makes high quality mods.

Have you seen his Steam Workshop version of his Arissa mod? Because he stripped out a bunch of the mods that went into the original Arissa mod, it looks pretty bad (a polite understatement).

snip.

Right, I really do not want to see money lead to the ruin of a community. 

From Isoku's latest article on Nexus, I can understand him wanting to obtain attention. My thing is, is there really that many people using the Steam Workshop for mods? I cannot fathom how people deal with using it.

That is also one of my gripes about this turn of events.

Yeah, Steam tends to autoupdate any mods you download from there, and they haven't changed the mechanism.

30 to 90 days

Even without the wait, would you wait some of his Steam Workshop mods? Like I said in my earlier post, sharing is what makes high quality mods.

Have you seen his Steam Workshop version of his Arissa mod? Because he stripped out a bunch of the mods that went into the original Arissa mod, it looks pretty bad (a polite understatement).

Totally agree with you. Paid mods are one big misunderstanding. I've been up for 22 hours now and will go to bed in a minute. I'm pretty sure this thing here is just a bad dream that will go away once I wake up tomorrow. That's the only reasonable explanation of this shit I can come up with.

And yeah, I've seen that Arissa mod. "Pretty bad" doesn't even begin to describe it :P

This money grab move is going accomplish a few things;

• The spirit of cooperation in some mod communities will be replaced with the spirit of competition.  Nexus modders are already whoring themselves and their crappy mods for kudos and likes, now they'll be able to get paid if they switch to Steam.  And if someone is willing to steal content for meaningless kudos, they'll certainly steal for a modding pay day at Steam.  Also, modders will be more protective of their work than they already are now.  'No, you cannot use my assets' will be a new credo since assets are now worth more than votes and on-line praise.
  • The quality of mods will not improve but they will no longer be free.  Mod authors have skill sets and those will not change just because their content is hidden behind a pay wall.  A crap mod that cost 5 bucks is still a crap mod.  I doubt there will be any room for complaint and it will be a buyer-beware market.  If the mod does what it says it does and works as intended I doubt you'd be able to get a refund just because you don't like it.
  • Mod reviewing on sites like Youtube will no longer be reliable ways to get info on mods.  Bottom line will be mod authors giving reviewers mods that other people have to pay for.  They will no longer be reviews but mod showcases with glowing commentary so people will buy the mod and the reviewer continues to get free stuff.  If the reviewer says anything negative, no more free mods.  Think GamerGate and what was really behind it.  This will really come into play once people realize mods are not free and downloading hundreds of mods just to test and then delete is no longer an option.  They will rely on reviewers and information will be tainted.

This is why this can't stay. We need as many sigs here as we can.

https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop

In this topic and others were stated: does payed modders planned to create support department at least? But can't find the answer.

The major benefit from free modding is unlimited amount of FREE testers. Now how about to pay them too? They ("payed" authors) even do not think about it.

30 to 90 days

Totally agree with you. Paid mods are one big misunderstanding. I've been up for 22 hours now and will go to bed in a minute. I'm pretty sure this thing here is just a bad dream that will go away once I wake up tomorrow. That's the only reasonable explanation of this shit I can come up with.

And yeah, I've seen that Arissa mod. "Pretty bad" doesn't even begin to describe it :P

LMAO go to bed brah!. :)

●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬● 
░░░░ GETFREE!! ░░░░░░ 
●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬● 
The Steam Community is about sharing your work.
Have good ideas and help to improve each other.
That makes us diffrent of the gaming companies.
>>>> Post this every each paid mod you see in steam <<<<
Because we don't wan't to let end up steam in a
greedy for money- gaming platform.
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../.................... _____.......__............._____
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸............|...__.....\....|...|............/... ___|
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\..........|...|....\....|....|...|...........|..../
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...').........|...|.....|...|....|...|...........|...|
.........\.................'...../...........|...|__/...|....|...|____....|...\____
..........''...\.......... _.·..............|_____./.....\______\....\_____|
............\..............(
..............\.............\

On the topic of donation % and stuff. Free to play/facebook game usually have less than 3% "whale"

1% is more likely and even that could be consider hopeful. Don't be surprise if you have to bust out a decimal. However you will be amaze how a few selected individuals are willing to spend.

I mean from a business perspective it has to be working for it to still exist and pop up constantly.

And again Skyrim is just the tip of the iceberg, it is Fallout 4 and the next TES where the more interesting matters will lie. Will there even be non-workshop sanctioned mods?

As it stand right now with the monetization of mod it is a double edge sword. It serves both as a push for people to want to mod and modders to spend more time on theirs since there's a means for them to get support, but asset rights and other drama will escalate even more and it is likely to have a competitive than a communal vibe from here on out in terms of sharing asset and knowledge.

I wonder if this will actually cause Bethesda to take a stance on their own game tho without the "guarantee" 3rd party mod support as a tagline. Then again console proven to be quite successful even without mod support.

After thinking about it and mulling over the videos that Gopher and Brodual put up about mods being monetized, this is my opinion on the matter. Bear in mind, this is just an opinion, not a fucking fact like someone likes to put forward.

Let's get the basic fact out of the way, it's not a fucking good idea. True, this will split the community into two factions, one that pays to mod and the other who doesn't want to pay to mod. Others on this forum already have indicated their distaste on the matter, both strongly or with trepidation. And I agree. Mods shouldn't need to money to work nor be available. I can understand if the modder does something complete new with Skyrim like completely overhaul the shitty base and make it similar towards the Witcher (I dunno). Then in that case, I support that move. However, most of the paid mods that are on the Workshop are essentially mods that have been free since the beginning. Chesko's Arissa, isoku's Wet and Cold plus iNeed. Potentially, that does mean more mods may become this structure and it isn't the way to go. It is a short term solution that will become a very very big problem in the future. What might be stopping me from donating the money, downloading it then repacking it to be pirated on other sites? Only Chesko has come forthright about his intention and kudos for that. Others are remaining silent which is rather worrying and honestly, it is these modders that I'm considering banning their mods.

However, let's look at the flip side of this. For many, the mods are quite complicated and time-consuming. Unless there is a potential reward, it seems pointless to continue to offer a free service. For those that might scoff at this, let's consider a sport that initially was free-to-air. The service was rather average given the number of ads, uses standard definition and there wasn't much action when they broadcast it. Now, consider another station picks it up and changes it to be pay-to-view. It sucks but then the station offers the service with no ads, high definition and as well as the ability to watch wherever you are. Then that might be an incentive to continue supporting the sport. This is no different in this matter for modding. These people has essentially put a lot of time and effort in this. There are some that will scoff and bad-mouth it, fine. That's your prerogative. For me, it might be worth the money if the people that doesn't want to pay also get supported as well. There is no free lunch in this world, and some that are scoffing, you should know.

All in all, I'd say that this will make-or-break modding for Bethesda games really. I'm leaning towards no but that doesn't mean I will not support some of them just because they went for the money route.

It is a short term solution that will become a very very big problem in the future. What might be stopping me from donating the money, downloading it then repacking it to be pirated on other sites? Only Chesko has come forthright about his intention and kudos for that. Others are remaining silent which is rather worrying and honestly, it is these modders that I'm considering banning their mods.

Not to completely disregard your post, but Isoku also issued a statement.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/articles/50134/?

And again Skyrim is just the tip of the iceberg, it is Fallout 4 and the next TES where the more interesting matters will lie. Will there even be non-workshop sanctioned mods?

This keeps being brought up. Considering what we know right now, what has occurred that makes people think mods will be limited to Workshop distribution? What benefit, financial or otherwise, would Bethesda gain from limiting mod distribution to the Workshop?

Archived