Paid mods for skyrim.

Guest Suited Prawns

It actually is a denial.

I read it as - making mods exclusive to steam workshop may increase our income in short term but in long term players hatred would burn us to the ground.

Man - dev would never give you a straight answer. 2 weeks ago we asked bethesda guy about their plans for editors for FO4 and TES6 and he didnt even give us a straight answer would it even be possible to mod these games at all.

Gabe N. is not a developer, but the CEO of Valve. And has practically nothing to do with when/if FO4 or TES6 are being released or not, let alone if it's moddable.

The Steam Workshop however is 100% his business. Bethesda is just using it under contract, he is the one who sets the rules what can be done there and how.

He COULD have said to Bethesda "no fucking way, asking money for MODs? are you crazy?"

And he also COULD have said to Dark0ne "no, we will not make modding steam-exclusive."

The denial of the latter is essentially a confession that he, i repeat, at least is leaving the option open.

So all the modding we are doing here is hanging by a thread.

It actually is a denial.

I read it as - making mods exclusive to steam workshop may increase our income in short term but in long term players hatred would burn us to the ground.

Man - dev would never give you a straight answer. 2 weeks ago we asked bethesda guy about their plans for editors for FO4 and TES6 and he didnt even give us a straight answer would it even be possible to mod these games at all.

Gabe N. is not a developer, but the CEO of Valve. And has practically nothing to do with when/if FO4 or TES6 are being released or not, let alone if it's moddable.

The Steam Workshop however is 100% his business. Bethesda is just using it under contract, he is the one who sets the rules what can be done there and how.

He COULD have said to Bethesda "no fucking way, asking money for MODs? are you crazy?"

And he also COULD have said to Dark0ne "no, we will not make modding steam-exclusive."

The denial of the latter is essentially a confession that he, i repeat, at least is leaving the option open.

So all the modding we are doing here is hanging by a thread.

Re-read the part in red.

Here is a bit of a rant/personal opinion video from Gopher on Youtube. He is also a modder who gives some good points about this whole fiasco,in my opinion.

The video is an hour long so I just left it playing while I did other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaQTgYCRS2w

I genuinely do not like the whole 'pay for mods' system as I feel there are too many holes and possible issues that it could entail. That being said, the people who leave toxic and hurtful comments do not have the right to do so. Everyone is human, and we have nothing to gain by losing modders from the community.

I am of the mind that you should vote with your wallet/download. If the mod or modder sucks,simply avoid his mod and find something similar.

Honestly,a donation option would've been so much better. Not to mention that horrible revenue split. 25% for the modder who probably did most of the work for his mod? Fuck off.

I doubt SkyUI 5.0 would be put on steam under paid mods unless the developers of it paid the $500 license fee since they used TweenLite to make the mod. http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/611704730318722123/

Read the comments.

"It was mentioned in a comments post by one of the SkyUI contributors that the TweenLite dependency has been removed from 5.0.

They knew exactly what they were doing, well ahead of time."

Not sure if it's true or not tho.

If bethesda wont create an editor then there would be no mods - either free or paid ones. As simple as that.

Ofc imo its very unlikely that they would decide not to make an editor - that would be a suicide.

But point is at this point no one from either beth or valve would give you any kind of hard declaration about FO4 or TES6 because those games dont even exist yet.

Sky UI adds nothing new really so one might be able to just be able to take the old Sky UI .esp and rename it to the new version of Sky UI you wouldn't have the crafting menu's but who cares. Or better yet any dev that makes a mod just don't use it in their mods if no one uses it then there will be no reason for the 5.0. Me if I find a mod that uses a mod that is behind a paywall it will go into the thrash bin where it belongs.

Guest endgameaddiction

Here is a bit of a rant/personal opinion video from Gopher on Youtube. He is also a modder who gives some good points about this whole fiasco,in my opinion.

The video is an hour long so I just left it playing while I did other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaQTgYCRS2w

I genuinely do not like the whole 'pay for mods' system as I feel there are too many holes and possible issues that it could entail. That being said, the people who leave toxic and hurtful comments do not have the right to do so. Everyone is human, and we have nothing to gain by losing modders from the community.

I am of the mind that you should vote with your wallet/download. If the mod or modder sucks,simply avoid his mod and find something similar.

Honestly,a donation option would've been so much better. Not to mention that horrible revenue split. 25% for the modder who probably did most of the work for his mod? Fuck off.

lol... I like the part where he talks about Chesko and say people talking bad about him and his actions are evil and his million dollar question...

"what have you done for the community?"

yeah... well you have absolutely answered that yourself dumb brain. You've clearly said by contributing as in endorsements, spreading the word, or uploading a mod yourself. Yeah I lost some respect for him,

Posted on the Bethesda forums:

Given the poor attitude of the SkyUI developers in all of this, I will be updating any of my mods that use SkyUI to not show the MCM menu if a paid version of SkyUI is being used, along with a popup to recommend that the user download and use the free version 4.1 of SkyUI.

I recommend that all modders that use the SkyUI MCM do the same.

What does Sky UI 5.0 offers that should convince me to pay for it? I honestly only upgraded Sky UI whenever a new mod told me to.

New crafting menus allegedly.

I played 900 hours of Skyrim gameplay without their crafting menus. Gonna need a lot more than that. 

What does Sky UI 5.0 offers that should convince me to pay for it? I honestly only upgraded Sky UI whenever a new mod told me to.

New crafting menus allegedly.

I lived 900 hours of Skyrim gameplay without their crafting menus. Gonna need a lot more than that. 

agree  :angry:

Guest privateuser99

easy resolution people - do mods that will discriminate paying users, free and donate will get better version.

Can't say I agree with some of it. The whole point of modding is to have fun. I can understand the desire to create a paid version if he considered the creation of SkyUI to be "work" and not "fun".

Can't say I agree with some of it. The whole point of modding is to have fun. I can understand the desire to create a paid version if he considered the creation of SkyUI to be "work" and not "fun".

The vast majority of mod-creation is not fun (especially with Bethsoft's games, as we have to constantly jump through burning hoops to do anything at all), hell knows that working on DDx has been houers upon houers of crushing tedium, frustration and annoyance for me.

You know where the fun lies? When you boot up the game, and you can now play it with the cool new stuff that you made.

@Hate - a lot of the hate comes from fact that mods were free , people were using them,  maybe offered support by bug reporting and suggesions and now they see they need to pay for it it.

Furthermore mods are kinda considered communities property - so when author no longer supports the mod someone else can show up and continue the work. That is no longer possible with paywall and author seem to be the evil dude that takes away something.

Fair enough, but he will meet hate for the above reason. It would be better if instead he would show up with some new mod that don't have the "free" tag in community eyes (and probably wait for the storm to calm down and maybe don't get robbed by the atrocious share split).

The problem with Frostfall by Chesko

The problem with Wet and Cold by Isuko

The problem is that the mods in question contain assets that are not their's.  The assets packaged belong to other mod makers that allowed them to use the assets under the understanding that it was a free mod.  Both of these authors have crossed the line here.  Such as meshes.

That's just one issue and really one of the bigger issues.

I don't buy Gopher's take or his guilt tripping of the mod user population.

The outcry of rage is entirely understandable and not at all out of place in my mind.

In our culture the idea of profiting off of someone else's work let alone saying the entire contents of the mod is entirely yours when even one little piece of it is not....The modding community has a long standing stance on this and I shouldn't have to site anything on this.

The response and actions taken in the past on assets misused or represented has always resulted in rage.

SO where are the credits to the authors whose materails will included in the mods?

Typically this has been used as a ban offense at times on the Nexus... So uh credits?

Adding credits though would be an admission that your mod is not entirely a product of your own making though wouldn't it.

How about the pay, the guy that made WIS deserves his cut, but he's not going to get anything is he?

No matter how much you talk about this it's clear end of free modding well at least in form we knew 2 days ago.

So im done period if 7 billion people embrace it i still don't care i stand by my point and prinsciples mods should be free ALWAYS.

But as i see now it won't next elder scrolls game or other bethesda game will exclusivly be on steam and everything behind paywalls.

So i PERMA BAN both companies with my wallet off to GOG.COM last free world for gamer.

Probably stick with skyrim i have and never updgrade any mods.

No more money from me.

I doub this site survive this onslaught.

I give it a year or next bethesda game this site also fall victem to PAYWALLS.

Why would this site not survive? Just do what we've always done. Make mods, simple. So some mods are going to cost money, thats not going to do anything to us other than anger us, if nexus wants to support it then ok, its not the first time we have disagreed with them, we just do what we've always done and keep to ourselves and sneakly get mods from nexus and complain about them.

Nothing thats happened should stop us from modding skyrim, oblivion or fallout, i mean other than people getting so fed up that they are leaving, but thats the only thing that will stop this site really. And..And..I just started learning about the geck and construction kit you bastards! DONT DO THIS TO ME! AAAAH

Archived