Paid mods for skyrim.

Guest Suited Prawns

It's called doing everything you can in order to win.

You know, some people in our history thought they will win if they set themselves on fire. Didn't work. ;)  You could also try strapping c4 around your body and blowing Bethesda to pieces. That's also doing everything in order to win. But seriously, choose your battles, and fight those you could potentially win.

With SkyUI apparently going paid-only, I wonder what the future is for Sexlab. Are they going to make their own Config menu?

I might be missing something but, why not just keep on making sexlab mods for the current free version of skyui, nothing really has to happen right? Or is he like actually removing the free version all together?

So confused... x.x

I'm rather glad a thread was started for this. To start o on my opinion- I have no real problem with the idea of a modder putting a small price tag on a mod- after all they did do the work and I don't mind them wanting to be paid for it. the program is, last i checked, entirely optional. The issues I have are these:

First- this will be an absolute nightmare to regulate, and copyright all of a sudden is a real thing. A game company has lawyers to insure they don't accidentally go to far with their laser-sword but a modder will flat out add lightsabers into oblivion- and when there was no money being made no-one minded because it was simply free-advertising. But now Disney will probably sue the ever loving shit out someone who simply wanted believed Jedi are neat and that being one in say... fallout would be awesome sauce and shared his work for everyone who agreed with him. The other main issue is the way the money is being split- with over half going to steam and the rest being split between Bethesda and the modder and... that split just feels off. I don't know where the split should fall exactly but I'd think that with three people who deserve a chunk you would cut it thirds.

So i don't hate the principle, in fact I believe as an Idea it has merit... but I think it a opens a massive can of worms and that automatic patreon accounts would serve almost as well without the legal drama.

Looks like at least some of the paid mods are becoming quite successful already.

So it looks like many Steam users are ready to take microtransactions to the next level.

Shut up and take my money!

We can say goodbye culture of purpose incentive and passionate modding, hello culture of reward incentive and subpar modding if this continues.

This video is very educational about motivation and quality in general: 

I imagine mods are no exception.

Oh dark derpair! Thou hast come to us in this hour of dorkness!!

I forsee a very very dark future indeed...

I just dont have enough hope to believe tha "passionate" modding is gonna go away. People will just start asking money for it and they' will love it. Eventually, modders will become corporate assholes too and those who are full of shit, will become even more full of shit bacause these will have power now. And as everybody with a wee bit of intelligence knows, power, corrupts.

It's up to rogue modders to defend the last bastion of freedom in gaming by... well.. not joining the asshole group

But the temptation will be powerful and I don't know how many will resist it.

Mark my words: "At first, there will be chaos and mayhem, there will be battle and blood as the las free modders keep their work, and regulations fail miserably. But they will learn and adapt. They will create ever more effective means of control, then the voices willl grow silent as the consumers flock in obedient lines accepting what was imposed. Then the darkness will be complete and free modding will be dead forever... a memory, a shadow of the past...a distant sadness echoing through the threads of what was lost. On that day, their control will be absolute. Their victory, complete."

Oh but dont worry, we'll aways have boobs

Illegally, but we'll have them.

I just dont have enough hope to believe tha "passionate" modding is gonna go away. People will just start asking money for it and they' will love it. Eventually, modders will become corporate assholes too and those who are full of shit, will become even more full of shit bacause these will have power now. And as everybody with a wee bit of intelligence knows, power, corrupts.

It's up to rogue modders to defend the last bastion of freedom in gaming by... well.. not joining the asshole group

Mark my words: "At first, there will be chaos and mayhem, there will be battle and blood as the las free modders keep their work, and regulations fail miserably. But they will learn and adapt. They will create ever more effective means of control, then the voices willl grow silent as the consumers flock in obedient lines accepting what was imposed. Then the darkness will be complete and free modding will be dead forever... a memory, a shadow of the past...a distant sadness echoing through the threads of what was lost. On that day, their control will be absolute. Their victory, complete."

theatermove.gif

But math say if you can't spent no more then 100 dollars a month, rest is for eating clothing pay rent ext then if they buy mods somewhere else will suffer.

I don't see this happen for long period of time this will fail.

People maybe stupid(don't say all but many hehe) but not that stupid giving money for hundreds of worthless mods and broken ones and keep buying new ones, no way.

I give it time before valve and bethesda realise this is not working.

At least i can say ive not bought one DLC sinds it was first launch i have not spent one penny in cashshop sinds it first appeared in mmo's and i will not spent one penny on mods at least not this way donations not forced is the way but mods still free to purchase  always.

I also stick by my principles i wont buy any game from Bethesda anymore same with stEAm no more games.

Negative reviews for Skyrim? Why? :blink: If I thought it was a bad game I wouldn't have played it as much. Boycotting paid mods on Steam is 1 thing, but bad reviews for game that gave us so much is completely... what's the word... dumb? If they screw up with their next game I won't buy it and that's it. Same with paid mods -  I won't buy them. Voting with wallet. That's it. But a full scale crusade? Come on...

Can only speak for myself, but i stopped my first vanilla playthrough because the game was terribly boring and bugged like no other before. Glad i found mods which made the game look better and worth playing, otherwise i would have gotten a refund if it wasn't a Steam-Only game.

You know, some people in our history thought they will win if they set themselves on fire. Didn't work. ;)  You could also try strapping c4 around your body and blowing Bethesda to pieces. That's also doing everything in order to win. But seriously, choose your battles, and fight those you could potentially win.

And after reading that, sorry to hear that you have no spine. Not buying mods has absolutely zero effect because you're not doing purchases that you never meant to do anyway.

But comparing people with suicide bombers because they actually DO have a spine and actively boycott Steam and write negative reviews, that is just incredibly low and speaks of your ignorance and hypocrisy.

Usually i'm a very mature and friendly person, though in this case i'll make an exception and give you a big fat FUCK YOU before putting you on ignore.

Have a nice life.

@Surrealism

Are they *becoming* successful or are they being *made* to *look* like they are being successful? You know with sock puppets/fake accounts with the sole purpose of making something look like it's being successful/better then it actually is. Wouldn't be the first time things like that have happened/were used to make something look better then it actually is. 

But math say if you can't spent no more then 100 dollars a month, rest is for eating clothing pay rent ext then if they buy mods somewhere else will suffer.

I don't see this happen for long period of time this will fail.

People maybe stupid(don't say all but many hehe) but not that stupid giving money for hundreds of worthless mods and broken ones and keep buying new ones, no way.

I give it time before valve and bethesda realise this is not working.

At least i can say ive not bought one DLC sinds it was first launch i have not spent one penny in cashshop sinds it first appeared in mmo's and i will not spent one penny on mods at least not this way donations not forced is the way but mods still free to purchase  always.

I also stick by my principles i wont buy any game from Bethesda anymore same with stEAm no more games.

Steam should just remove the stick that is firmly wedged up each of their asses, and add a simple *Donation* feature. The system they have now is autistic as it is. Mod authors barely make money because 75% of it goes to fucking Valve. Not only that its affecting other mod sites too. This system it seems has already failed. And let me just get this clear; MODS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FREE, WHETHER YOU ARGUE OR NOT THIS FACT WILL NOT CHANGE. If you for SOME reason feel that a mod is "GOOD": a donation exist for a fucking reason. If you look at games like Minecraft, EVERY mod is free. And everyone of those mods has a donation pile for those people who think the mod is great or are looking forward for an updated features. You should also probably keep in mind that if you buy a mod and don't like it, or its just buggy as hell. You will not get your money back. In other words, you're fucked. Because Valves idiotic return policy applies here too. In conclusion, Valve just needs to get rid of this abomination of a feature.

Like pretty much everyone has said over and over, A pay what you want system with all "prices" being set to 0 would be better. Meaning, having it where no price can be set.

On paper, allowing modders the option to sell mods works, but you run into problems of people selling other's work after changing it or not even changing it at all. You also run into people like the Mida Magic guy who literally put pop up ads in the game when you cast spells that tell you to buy the full version of the mod. This is the worst possible thing anyone could do and he seems completely ignorant of just how much of a scum bag this makes him seem. Then you have people like the SkyUI team wanting to put a paywall in front of updates for old mods.

If modders were this desperate for scraps (25% of what they make means they need to sell $400 worth to make $100 or $4,000 just to make 1,000 or 40,000 just to make 10,000) they should have spoke out to the community who would have glady donated to them. especially if a proper donation system was put into place. Forcing mods behind a paywall just means people are pirating mods now (which they are. I personally managed to find every mod thats up for sale just casually browsing reddit).

Seriously, it's baffling how modders are selling themselves out for pennies to the dollar. You literally have to sell a year's salary worth each month just to make decent living doing this. Turning your back on the community for pocket change is hardly worth it, especially when you can make the same, if not more in donations. On the plus side, your mod wouldn't be owned by Valve or anyone else and you'd be free to use resources if you aren't outright selling your mod. Selling a mod just ends the openness and the sharing factor.

All these people on Steam keep saying "modder should get money, get over yourselves" but no one is saying they shouldn't. We're saying they just should be selling them because it just causes too many problems and it splits the community. Mods cause so many bugs as it is. Can you imagine having to spend money to fix a bug or imagine buying a mod and never get a fix because the modder quit modding and just vanished (like so many modders do everyday). This wasn't thought through ever well. A donation system (which nexus is working on) is the answer. One can only hope Steam stops it.

If paid mods are here to stop, I hope it continues getting flooded with all these subpar mods we keep seeing like one item retextures and one sword. the day I pay 2 bucks for a sword in a single player game is the day someone gave me a lobotomy.

What is obvious is that the big youtubers all argue along the same lines: "Don't you think modders deserve money for their work?"

That's the same moral blackmailing rhetoric that doorstep brigades use to force your consent to buy stuff that you otherwise wouldn't buy: "Don't you want to help disabled people? Becuase if you want to help, you have to buy that set of clothbrushes I have to sell - they were entirely made by disabled people!". Exactly the same rhetoric, with the same intellectual dishonesty. I didn't expect that from some of the bigger youtubers, but here we go.

Of course creative people who make gaming content do deserve payment! Round up some likeminded people with skills in areas required for making games, do a kickstarter fund and make a game. Or apply at a game developer. But don't just jump a train that first and foremost supports foul cash grabbers like Valve and Bethesda.

What modders do is using a game and its assets to create content or - especially when it comes to Betatesta, ehm, Bethesda - fix bugs. Which may result in people donating, which also happened in the past. Doesn't seem enough for some.

Nowadays you can monetize any crap and call it a job - at least for a while. You can ring some unknown person up and sell crap to him and all it "Call Center Agent". You can sell snake oil and call it anti aging lotion. You can film yourself being yourself, put that on Youtube and get money. Be a fake, be ridiculous, loud and dishonest, participate in any dumb hype and get money. Come up with some total crap game in unfinished state and call it "Early Access", charging people to test the crap. Anything goes. Until the hype dies and another cash grab comes up.

But don't expect anybody else to swallow this bullshit and applaud.

Indeed, most of the modders who are selling mods have been clear they're complete jerks. I don't care if saying it gets me in trouble because it needs to be known. The Midas Magic guy is delusional. He seems to have deleted most of his comments from the steam page, but he actually thinks it's cool that he added pop ups in the game that tell you to buy his mod. the SkyUI team are just complete jerks and what makes them worse is that they don't seem delusional and know exactly what they're doing. The way they talk down to everyone is absurd. It's sort of a sociopathic arrogance they have. Who knew the creators of the most popular skyrim mod would turn out this way.

Seriously, if any modders want money, they need only to ask. Especially now if it avoids the alternative of paywalled mods.

A "no paying for mods" protest sign mod has 4000+ subscribers already, mind... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431467621&searchtext=

In other news, from FNIS

Licensing/Legal

The FNIS Behavior can only be downloaded and used in the described way. Without my express permission you are NOT ALLOWED

• to upload FNIS Behavior TO ANY OTHER SITE
  • to distribute FNIS Behavior as part of another mod
  • to distribute modified versions of FNIS Behavior
  • to make money with files which are part of FNIS Behavior, or which are created with the help of FNIS Behavior

So this is a very good thing. That means no advanced mods with animations can be created for steam. now we need the same for SKSE and see how steam workshop will crumble.

Does anyone know if HDT has the same Licensing ??

A "no paying for mods" protest sign mod has 4000+ subscribers already, mind... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431467621&searchtext=

In other news, from FNIS

Licensing/Legal

The FNIS Behavior can only be downloaded and used in the described way. Without my express permission you are NOT ALLOWED

• to make money with files which are part of FNIS Behavior, or which are created with the help of FNIS Behavior

So this is a very good thing. That means no advanced mods with animations can be created for steam. now we need the same for SKSE and see how steam workshop will crumble.

I believe the SKSE team are actually trying to work with Steam to get SKSE onto the workshop (for free) if I recall correctly.

The companies now need to be held liable for modded games that crash cause they are now profiting from mods.

This should mean that they are to be held responsible for getting a game up and running if this game in question contains purchased content from the workshop.  If this means that an employee of Valve or Beth has to be on the phone hand holding the purchasers hand then that's what should be expected.

The amount of game support the community has provided free of charge with in many cases not so much as a thank you should change.

Though the reality is that's not going to happen and Valve/Beth are going to expect us to keep giving out help.

This whole thing is absurd, I cant imagine that the fallout of this isn't entirely intentional.

As in they want to drive a wedge into this community and tear it down.

In other news, from FNIS

Licensing/Legal

I believe the SKSE team are actually trying to work with Steam to get SKSE onto the workshop (for free) if I recall correctly.

The SKSE team said it would be available from steam but would also be available from their site for free as it currently is

With FNIS you have to respect Fore for taking the principlied stance as he is one of the authors i would expect to make quite a bit from the paid mods as so much stuff depends on it.

I am a little bit surprised he wasn't more interested in a FNIS deployable by steam though as that would remove a lot of the troubleshooting which is the bane of most mod authors i've spoken to (make it in one month, spend a life time supporting it etc)

So out of curiosity why is it when the mobile app stores from apple/google launched it was a huge opportunity for small/indie developers to make a bit of cash yet this is being seen as the greatest evil in the world

I can understand him. If you got such an offer from two major players in the game industry who wouldn't take the opportunity? You can mod and earn money? Sure why not, sounds fair. And at this point one might get the tunnle vision which makes one unable to see the consequences. 25% split is nothing and the hatred of people which are going back to the medieval age, raising their pitchforkes and screaming blood and murder.

To be honest, Chesko and other modders (who have or will publish their highly anticipated mods) are the wrong address to blame.

Thats a quite true.

Lets say you're an amateur modder, maybe thinking that it would be cool to work in game industry.

One day you find a mail from Valve executive in your mailbox - with an offer directly for you.

This does make you rather interested in what they have to say.

I'm very curious how many of those nay-sayers would actually reply with "no thanks".

I can understand him. If you got such an offer from two major players in the game industry who wouldn't take the opportunity? You can mod and earn money? Sure why not, sounds fair. And at this point one might get the tunnle vision which makes one unable to see the consequences. 25% split is nothing and the hatred of people which are going back to the medieval age, raising their pitchforkes and screaming blood and murder.

To be honest, Chesko and other modders (who have or will publish their highly anticipated mods) are the wrong address to blame.

Thats a quite true.

Lets say you're an amateur modder, maybe thinking that it would be cool to work in game industry.

One day you find a mail from Valve executive in your mailbox - with an offer directly for you.

This does make you rather interested in what they have to say.

I'm very curious how many of those nay-sayers would actually reply with "no thanks".

good point,
but you have to read carefully all the clauses of the contract before you say: Yes.
..when there are interests of Copyright, Eula, GNU license etc, is not that simple to say YES (IMHO)

Archived