Paid mods for skyrim.

Guest Suited Prawns

2 of my favorite modder proving that all modders are created equally on Forever Free's Nexus forum page.

wv5wya.jpg

frankly, i ask myself when i see these modder and their avatars ....

I can't believe we won that one. I must be dreaming right now.

dont worry, they probably gonna prepar something else . like a nice little excuse "we got a server problem , we announce no sale this year, we apologize you need pay full price for your favorite games"

or find another thing like trading card, gems and all other shitty thing that push peoples to send money for useless thing

2 of my favorite modder proving that all modders are created equally on Forever Free's Nexus forum page.

wv5wya.jpg

dont worry, they probably gonna prepar something else . like a nice little excuse "we got a server problem , we announce no sale this year, we apologize you need pay full price for your favorite games"

or find another thing like trading card, gems and all other shitty thing that push peoples to send money for useless thing

I advice disabling updates for skyrim ...

sadly its no more possible, valve have deleted the "no update" option and replace it by a shitty "update only when i launch the game". now we CANT block the auto update for all steam game..

wv5wya.jpg

We all now Valve is Pegasus and Bethesda is Seto Kaiba.

This was season 1, where Pegasus kidnapped our mods and forced us to duel to get them back.

Stay tuned for season 2.

wv5wya.jpg

We all now Valve is Pegasus and Bethesda is Seto Kaiba.

This was season 1, where Pegasus kidnapped our mods and forced us to duel to get them back.

Stay tuned for season 2.

That's insulting to Seto Kaiba!

DMx020_Jammed_gun.jpg

He brings cards to gun fights! That's next level awesome.

What are the casualties ? How many modders "died" because of this madness ? What mods did we lost ?

The guy who made Midas Magic, and his "Midas Magic Gold Edition". And some other who made some fancy textures. lol

Well, I can't imagine Midas Magic guy coming back after his pop up adds stunt. :lol:

You know that making a good mod is applying the skill you learned, right?

Essentially your argument is, "People deserve compensation, but since they only get 25% of the asking price, they should get nothing to protect them." You're basically saying that, not only are you never going to support someone for hard work, you feel they should never do that work in the first place if they hope to get some sort of reward.

What a modder gets in compensation from Steam is their business.  Obviously modders who have put paid mods up in the Workshop are okay with the split, else they wouldn't agree to it.

Modding is long, difficult work. I've sunk more time into making Tryout for NV than I actually have playing the game over the past four years. Soon I will have to stop doing that because I might need to get a second job to make ends meet. In a world where mods are paid, or I at least have the option to ask for donations, there's a possibility I could get to keep doing what I love instead of earning an additional measly $100 a week at a McDonalds or some shit.

Which do you think is of more benefit to society? Someone continuing to make mods and applying the skills they've learned, or flushing the skilled labor down the toilet in favor of a retail job?

With this system, the only ones I can see surviving long-term are mod teams that grow into third party DLC developers.

The current Laissez Faire system that Valve has thought up because it saves them all that sweet Q&A money is going to eventually bite them and some of the paid modders in the ass. When that happens regulation will be demanded. However effective regulation and Q&A costs money and an effective approval process will mean far fewer "mods" (though really at this point they cease being mods and become potential third party DLC pending approval) can be checked for quality and even fewer will be approved for sale.

Like I said, in the end I can foresee a few developers dedicated to producing innovative and quality DLC content for pre-existing IP's emerging out of this. At best, once semi-effective regulation finally kicks in, individual modders might have the option to do what aspiring writers have done for decades and centuries by sending their movie/tv script or manuscript to a production company or publisher and hope it gets at least looked at and maybe convinces someone to commission a pilot or do a limited publication.

However high the quality of such content might end up being, it goes without saying that it can never match the shear, breadth, variety and diversity of all the mods (particularly the mods based on other IP's and adult mods) that we have available now. And that makes me sad.

The "modders" choosing to continue to work outside this system, even if only because for them it really IS just a hobby and they do not want to bother with all the legal bullshit surrounding commercial products will also cease to be modders and once again become, cracker, hackers and pirates just like in the bad old days before most mods where seen as free advertising. If there is one thing this scheme of Valve WILL accomplish it's gonna be that all sorts of rights holders are going to stop turning a blind eye and start enforcement, in some cases sporadically and haphazardly, nut I predict there's going to be a few (Disney anyone?) who are going to go absolutely zero tolerance and have their lawyers sue the living shit out of every "infringers" they can spot.

This brings me to my final point; under this system, even if it should work as advertized, (zero chance of that, but let's just roll with the hypothetical here) it is a foregone conclusion that third party adult mods can only ever "officially" happen with adult only games and there's precious few of those and even less that are focused on or even include m/m content, let alone specific m/m fetishes.

In short I think we are all become lesser because of this. I do think if this goes far enough I think I need to be on the lookout for a new hobby, maybe fishing, like dear old dad.

EDIT; Phwewh...at least this time it all blew over....however I agree with the sentiments of some of the others this is only a delay not a cancellation. The next game will probably have the creation kit tied to Steam and we're going to start this all over again.

What are the casualties ? How many modders "died" because of this madness ? What mods did we lost ?

The guy who made Midas Magic, and his "Midas Magic Gold Edition". And some other who made some fancy textures. lol

Has anyone even used Midas Magic since Oblivion. I tried it for Skyrim and thought "This was way more amazing in Oblivion, feels dated and unbalanced."

Apocalypse took it's throne. It only gets new modders to feel the same way then move on the Apocalypse as well. Kind of like Better Females vs everything else in existence.

A lot of the early Armor mods are the same way but they got updated meshes from new modders and better textures from newer modders. (Good community is good)

Midas Magic didn't get that. It got replaced! If you want an unbalanced OP flashy magic mod your get Colorful magic and even that has a balanced spells patch, because it's relevant!

I'm done talking about that mod lol.

Waiting to see what the SkyUI guys have to say about this. Wonder if they're going to take their SkyUI 5.0 ball home with them...

You know they are.... Only reason why they came back after all these years was for our money...

Well, I can't imagine Midas Magic guy coming back after his pop up adds stunt. :lol:

The creator/creators of Skyrim Realistic Texture Overhaul. They did good work on dragons I remember, but I am unsure about anything else(they mostly did terrain and atmosphere stuff, of which there are alternatives).

Midas Magic, as I've said before elsewhere, is great for Oblivion but for Skyrim there are(in my opinion at least)better magic packs like Enaistation's mods(Apocalypse Spell Pack, Dwemertech, and Spectraverse), Forgotten Magic Redone, and Colorful Magic(even though it's unfriendly to lore).

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

Paid mods have been abolished,effective immediately.

People who have bought mods have been refunded.

Looks like the outrage got to them.Honestly,Bethesda had some good intentions,but the system was implemented too poorly.

Unfortunately though,I think we've all already been burnt and things might not be the same as before now..

Hopefully Valve and Bethesda are probably gonna be more cautious with things like these now.

Yeah I imagine he'll  just disappear..............like magicORwPEv0.png

http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/611704730328215676/

what ya say ?

Goddamnit, I promised myself I'd stay out of this discussion, but I can't help it. I'm such a moron.

How long has it been? A week? A little more? Less than a month after introducing the policy, it's off. Apparently there was so much backlash against both companies (and unfortunately, against the few modders who had the bad judgement to go that route), both companies receiving so much negative publicity and a petition with over 130,000 signatures (which is actually a pretty damn big number considering the size of the modding community), they got rid of the system before it could get any worse for them.

Of course, they tried to spin it, with a bit of passive-aggressive "blame the public" attitude... allow me to quote:

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. You understood exactly what you were doing, you just underestimated the backlash. Altering the semantics doesn't actually change the thing itself. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, What features, exactly? I admit I don't pay much attention to most of Valve's stuff, are they talking about free hats in TF2? and in the past, they've been received well. Do you mean not too many people have complained, or do you mean a completely different community with a completely different set of expectations and desires was spoonfed properly? It's obvious now that this case is different. Boy, you guys are really on the ball here.

To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, because we're totally too dumb to see your true motivations, everything we lashed out at was just because we misunderstood your goals, and we need you to put a PR spin on this explain yourselves better so we can learn from our mistakes and be better people in the future our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. Yes, I totally believe that this corporation, that is to say, an entity whose entire existence is the increasing of its own profit, is the CHAMPION OF THE PEOPLE. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. That is patently false, and only a moron would accept such a ludicrous statement at face value. You don't get better FREE content by charging money for anything at all. It's not a seesaw where if you push down on one end the other rises up. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, You mean you wanted to turn something popular into a moneymaker? and we wanted that to happen organically DING! modern positive-sounding buzzword! for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it. So by forcing your company to stop this greedy policy, we've only hurt ourselves. Oh, woe is us, what terrible things have we wrought.

Some are concerned that this whole thing is leading to a world where mods are tied to one system, DRM'd and not allowed to be freely accessed. That is the exact opposite of what we stand for. Actually, it is against Bethesda's stated policies, but it is PRECISELY what Valve stands for. Otherwise you would not be using a DRM-based piece of software like Steam. Not only do we want more mods, Possibly true, but I doubt they really care about the mods, more about the aforementioned mods-turned-into-cash-cows easier to access, Easier to access? By putting things behind a paywall, they're easier to access? we're anti-DRM as far as we can be. Total and complete bullshit. Most people don't know, but our very own Skyrim DLC has zero DRM. Also completely and totally false. That's like saying "Big Oil is dedicated to getting solar energy to all people across the world." Who do they think they're kidding? Who comes up with this shit? What the hell do they mean by Skyrim DLC has zero DRM? You mean I can get the DLC without installing it through Steam? We shipped Oblivion with no DRM because we didn't like how it affected the game. Almost completely true. So why the hell did y'all go with Steam for Skyrim, then? This monumental hypocrisy doesn't make me feel better about your company, idiots, it just fills me with disgust.

But we underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop. Yep. You sure did. Thank gods.  We understand our own game's communities pretty well, obviously not, dumbass but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. Ah, so it's just Skyrim's modding community that's the problem. We're a bunch of retarded, reactionary idiots, and completely ungrateful for the selfless efforts you put in on our behalf. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here. "Useful feature" defined here as "a feature that will allow us to squeeze more cash out of you rubes, somehow. All we have to do is wait until this blows over and then try again a little more quietly.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know. Gee, I'm SO SORRY we bothered you about this little problem, you arrogant assholes. Forgive our hubris, forgive us for insisting on maintaining rights and privileges we've always been accustomed to. I'm really sorry you aren't making %10,000 profit on all of your ventures, and it's all my fault. Mea culpa, Bethesda and Valve, mea maxima culpa.

We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. You mean you'll be refunding the actual money, or you'll be giving it out in your goddamn "Steam Wallet" fake-ass dollars that are only useful for buying Steam products? How exactly is that helping anyone who had the bad judgement or poor fortune to dump money on your little scheme?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/611704730328215676/

what ya say ?

It's a troll topic. Hilarious. But a troll topic.

Archived