Paid mods for skyrim.

Guest Suited Prawns

Guest Suited Prawns

Quite frankly I found this disappointing

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=72850&browsesort=trend&section=readytouseitems&requiredflags%5B%5D=paiditems

I all ways found Bethesda stance on paid mods to be admirable and now this.

I dunno I thought that modding fallout / skyrim was peoples hobbies and not jobs. Just people loving games and making mods for them. I think its great that people got jobs through it but this kinda seems like a cash in on if it is at all like the steam market where steam/Bethesda takes a cut. 

I also don't think its gonna improve mod quality since steam really just fired its entire quality control team that used to make it the great platform it was and let anyone with a free copy of unity take a dump on the front page and sell it.

Edit: I know not all mods are gonna end here but I feel like allot of people will try to use this to make money like its been with steam for the past year.

This has the potential to be a mess of epic proportions. How will they handle permissions? Ripped content? People lifting mods to get a quick buck from other places claiming them as their own? Workshop already has a reputation for being a mod thief's haven.

This has the potential to be a mess of epic proportions. How will they handle permissions? Ripped content? People lifting mods to get a quick buck from other places claiming them as their own? Workshop already has a reputation for being a mod thief's haven.

Yup, it is going to be a monumental clusterfrag. And setting aside that, if it actually worked, you're still going to have a lot of incredibly dedicated modders who are locked out of the renumeration because of the content of their mods. (Particularly relevant here)

The whole thing is absurd and I can't imagine it lasting long, especially due to the stolen content issue.

Guest Suited Prawns

The things is, prior to this im pretty sure that Bethesda actually forbid selling modifications for skyrim.

Just read through it and it seems that some of the paid mods have a variable price so you pay what you feel it deserves which i think is fair enough as their are already ways to donate to modders/modding sites if you so wish so all steam is doing in this case is making it easier.

The mods with a fixed price however i'm less charitable towards since some of the prices are actually above the DLC prices (ones even above the price for legendary skyrim last time i saw it on sale) although in their defense their are also ones for like 10 pence.

So i think this will depend a lot on how its received and how its monitored/implemented since their are quite a few mods here on this site that if the mod author suddenly said if you raise X amount for me so i can take time off work i will re-do my mod as if it was my day job (i.e professionally) then i'd donate

My biggest fear is that developers from now on are going to lock their SDKs to steam and only allow you to upload mods to the workshop and preventing the mods to be used outside of steams workshop. Which means all mods have to adhere to whatever valve thinks is okay, effectively killing lewd mods.

I hope thats not the case but i fear its gonna turn into that.

My biggest fear is that developers from now on are going to lock their SDKs to steam and only allow you to upload mods to the workshop and preventing the mods to be used outside of steams workshop. Which means all mods have to adhere to whatever valve thinks is okay, effectively killing lewd mods.

sexlab mods are too complicated for that.

To sell a mod you need to share profits with everyone that was involved in its creation.

Every sexlab mod is based on sexlab

Propably even Ashal doesn't know how many people contributed to creation of sexlab - not to say what kind of share each of them would deserve...

sexlab mods are too complicated for that.

To sell a mod you need to share profits with everyone that was involved in its creation.

Every sexlab mod is based on sexlab

Propably even Ashal doesn't know how many people contributed to creation of sexlab - not to say what kind of share each of them would deserve...

I was more thinking about future games not Skyrim.

There is an Armor mod starting at 2$ and a weapon mod starting at 1$ i think, like WHAT THE FUCK?

This is essentially making mods unofficial DLCs, I personally think its a big kick in the head for Skyrim modding community if not a straight up R.I.P for modding as a whole, why cant they just implement a donate button like in the Nexus, psychologically works better IMHO.. 

really hope Bethesda isn't involved.

I'm afraid they can't not be involved.

And crap, that probably means that more than a few of the dependencies for Sexlab etc are going to end up paywalled on steam - I'm already hearing tales of people pulling their mods from Nexus to get themselves onto the cash cow.

Archived