Skyrim SSE now on GOG.

Yes. Also don't forget that with the Offline Installer it's then possible to maintain, the games version at your preferred version until you are ready. Therefore, giving more time authors to work on content, as well as preparing for updates if they wish.

Also, able to stay on a particular version of the title, so if you don't want to update you can remain. No more unwanted updates, either as you can rollback reliably as well thus also auto updates can be switched off.

You can purchase plain Skyrim Special Edition or the Anniversary Edition which ever you chose.

For people who don't want to have auto-updates just switch off that feature. Also keep a copy of the offline installer, that way you can easily re-install to a particular version when required.

Right now, there's 50% and 67% off of the price, which means you aren't paying the full price. Which when the offer ends will be £34.99 (SSE) and £42.99 (SAE).

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_anniversary_edition

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_special_edition

Edited by Leoosp
Note for discount and links. Typo corrected.

Can I get the Creation Kit from GOG?
No. At present, the Creation Kit is only available on Steam. Bethesda has confirmed the GOG version is not compatible with the Steam Creation Kit but all mods created using the Creation Kit will work with any PC edition of the game. 

I also wonder how mods like FNIS (which complain about non standard steam instalation folders) will work with this. Add to this the fact that skse dll devs will need to make yet another version... Hmmm.

Edited by Yinkle
3 hours ago, Leoosp said:

@CPU Could news of this please be added into Announcements or a more prevalent area please so people can notice and decide for themselves whether to part take.

There is already a good article on Nexus.

At the end all "64bits" versions are available.: Special Edition, and Anniversary Editions.

They are almost the same versions from Stream. Only the folder where data is saved is different.

Looks like SKSE works just fine with them (I saw something about UI things not working but it will be solved soon.)

• Guest pinned this topic
22 minutes ago, CPU said:

There is already a good article on Nexus.

At the end all "64bits" versions are available.: Special Edition, and Anniversary Editions.

They are almost the same versions from Stream. Only the folder where data is saved is different.

Looks like SKSE works just fine with them (I saw something about UI things not working but it will be solved soon.)

Not quite the same as Steam version. The Bethesda.net Mods and Creation Club features has been removed and/or disabled in the GOG release. So not just the folder where data is saved being different.

This means the memory addresses, are likely to be different in the GOG vs Steam as those network features won't be present. Thus, less memory will be required for the executable and/or smaller executable.

Edited by Leoosp
33 minutes ago, Leoosp said:

The Bethesda.net Mods and Creation Club features has been removed and/or disabled in the GOG release.

Since they still sell Creation Club content as AE add-on, the feature is more of being 'available but not required'.

NexusMods team wrote that while added CC content would totally gonna work (assuming that player would download it from anywhere), auth through CC / bethesda.net is completely disabled in GOG version.

Creation Kit is not included (due to being Steam-only) - but mods made with CK should work.

35 minutes ago, Leoosp said:

This means the memory addresses, are likely to be different in the GOG vs Steam as those network features won't be present.

Build numbers are different.

Executables... GOG version's SkyrimSE.exe's size is 35 135 488 bytes (33.5MB).

Do anyone have Steam executable at hand? Is it still 33.7MB?

*sigh*

Another 4+ hours of trying to install DDx & S.L.U.T.S. are about to be wasted . . .

This looks like its gonna be a mess.

The only real benefit may be, that the GOG game won't need any Steam or the like, but even that is up for discussion.
I already got used to the existence of Steam, and it doesn't seem like it is about to disappear any time soon, so a "Steam free game" isn't a big deal for me.
At least not when i already have the game. If i wouldn't have it yet, then i would prefer GOG, except not in this case, because from what i read, it looks like another different build, and i don't mean just the EXE (which may be fine, if the SKSE team updates SKSE for it, and all SKSE plugins will work).

Judging by what the Nexus article says, they also changed the data structures.
Or somebody explain to me, what other reason would there be for "Creation Kit not being compatible"?
So, if that sentence means what it says, that means you need the Steam game anyway if you want to use any tools that work with the data (Wrye Bash, xEdit, FNIS, and maybe others i forgot) - at least until those tools get updated, IF they get updated.

So, i don't feel excited about this.

Wow, that's interesting.

Kudos to Bethesda for finding another way to re-release Skyrim :joy:

Edit: to be clear I am actually glad for that release, it's always nice seeing games become DRM free.

Edited by sila

While it's nice to get a DRM free copy of Skyrim, my main concern is how many more SKSE mods will stop working as they will need to be updated again and with some of them, the creators for them are no longer updating them due to all of the updates constantly breaking them.

Edited by jb281472
29 minutes ago, jb281472 said:

While it's nice to get a DRM free copy of Skyrim, my main concern is how many more SKSE mods will stop working as they will need to be updated again and with some of them, the creators for them are no longer updating them due to all of the updates constantly breaking them.

One can indefinitely hold onto a given version without having to worry too much about the normal reversion methods required to rollback the Steam version of SSE. The GOG version is the last that one ever needs in a very real sense. 

28 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

One can indefinitely hold onto a given version without having to worry too much about the normal reversion methods required to rollback the Steam version of SSE. The GOG version is the last that one ever needs in a very real sense. 

Oh god that's a great point. Man being able to not worry about steam updating the game would be so nice....

I always set Skyrim and FO4 to only update on launch but steam seems to forget that setting sometimes and update anyway. It's way more hassle than it should be.

55 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Until the ArrTeeEck$$$ version which is being worked on as we speak.

1 hour ago, jb281472 said:

19 minutes ago, Vader666 said:

What if the SKSE guys decide to ignore the gog version and only support the steam version ?

Turns out, this is NOT an issue.  GOG collaborated with the SKSE folks and there is an SKSE version now!  This is the kind of shit I wished Beth would do.

3 hours ago, fred200 said:

Did GOG change the executable name?

Vortex will need an update if so.

Already covered as Vortex already has a compatible update available. If the extension itself doesn't or hasn't updated on your installed version, then update Vortex to the most up to date release version.

The newer version of Vortex support's GOG Skyrim so it can manage mods.

11 hours ago, Roggvir said:

Or somebody explain to me, what other reason would there be for "Creation Kit not being compatible"?

They mean that Creation Kit is not included. And that Creation Kit versions which might be obtainable elsewhere (Steam) will not work with GOG version of the game.

Mods made with Creation Kit would gonna work though. Can use, can't edit.

11 hours ago, Roggvir said:

that means you need the Steam game anyway if you want to use any tools that work with the data (Wrye Bash, xEdit, FNIS, and maybe others i forgot) - at least until those tools get updated, IF they get updated.

IIRC neither of these tools require Creation Kit.

The problem is, since executable is different indeed, tools which are executable dependant (i. e. DLL injectors and parsers) SHALL need an update.

8 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

The GOG version is the last that one ever needs in a very real sense. 

So damn true : ( ( (

I can finally consider making some... something... anything... which would gonna make installing my needed mods from scratch easier.

Sick of wasting 6+ hours of pure labour after each hiccup.

2 hours ago, DrinkFromTheCup said:

wasting 6+ hours

Just 6? I'm envious. It takes me at least 2 days to sort up if I need to set everything up AGAIN. That's why I haven't done any cleaning up since December. My 1.5.97 is still intact but it now runs like a run-over frog in 2nd week of decomposition and is about as stable as a spoiled 5-year old.

Well, I prepare in advance and multitask where possible.
DDx in download queue? Time to look for its prerequisites.

Caliente Tools are rebuilding meshes? Good idea to run FNIS too.

Hair packs queued? Would be nice to snoop around, looking for animation packs.

My waffle presser can't handle batch installs anyway (thx NexusMods crew for completely ruining the process for bad HDDs). So I have to improvise to avoid wasting days and days.

Still, 6+ hours... uuuuuugh... As of today, I gave up and started playing vanilla. There are enough clips and short movies recorded in modded Skyrim around if a need in quick yeet would arise.

And if I'll want something more immersive - I swear I'd better make a completely new game from scratch rather than wasting my precious irrecoverable time on this mess...

9 hours ago, DrinkFromTheCup said:
21 hours ago, Roggvir said:

They mean that Creation Kit is not included. And that Creation Kit versions which might be obtainable elsewhere (Steam) will not work with GOG version of the game.

Mods made with Creation Kit would gonna work though. Can use, can't edit.

You misunderstood what i wrote.

That Nexus article says:

Bethesda has confirmed the GOG version is not compatible with the Steam Creation Kit but all mods created using the Creation Kit will work with any PC edition of the game.

This is not about "Creation Kit is not included", this is about "CK cannot load the GOG data files" - otherwise it wouldn't make sense to write that it is incompatible.

9 hours ago, DrinkFromTheCup said:
21 hours ago, Roggvir said:

that means you need the Steam game anyway if you want to use any tools that work with the data (Wrye Bash, xEdit, FNIS, and maybe others i forgot) - at least until those tools get updated, IF they get updated.

IIRC neither of these tools require Creation Kit.

The problem is, since executable is different indeed, tools which are executable dependant (i. e. DLL injectors and parsers) SHALL need an update.

I am not talking about SKSE or any other injectors, why do you bring that up?
I am talking about tools that work directly with the data (mostly meaning plugins), like the xEdit etc., and of course none of those tools require Creation Kit (did anybody say they do???).

I wrote that IF they changed the data structures, resulting in CK not being compatible with it anymore (because why else would it be incompatible???), then obviously, those tools will get affected the same way as CK is - not being able to use the data, until the new data structures are deciphered and the tools are updated (if ever).

Wrye Bash and LOOT are being updated.

I'm also supposed to be testing them instead of messing around on LL  :P

A few more quick replies based on what I know..

On 9/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, Leoosp said:

Not quite the same as Steam version. The Bethesda.net Mods and Creation Club features has been removed and/or disabled in the GOG release. So not just the folder where data is saved being different.

This means the memory addresses, are likely to be different in the GOG vs Steam as those network features won't be present. Thus, less memory will be required for the executable and/or smaller executable.

Correct and I wanted to add that the main menu changes are also due to changes in Skyrim - Interface.bsa

23 hours ago, Roggvir said:

The CK "calls home" to Bethesda.net via the Steam API and that's why it doesn't work out of the box with the GOG version.

Unconfirmed rumor:  Supposedly you can copy the steam_api64.dll (must be version 2.89.45.4) from the Steam version of Skyrim SE or Fallout 4 to the GOG SSE folder and trick it into thinking you're running it from the Steam version.

23 hours ago, Roggvir said:

So, if that sentence means what it says, that means you need the Steam game anyway if you want to use any tools that work with the data (Wrye Bash, xEdit, FNIS, and maybe others i forgot) - at least until those tools get updated, IF they get updated.

I don't know about FNIS  but LOOT, Bash (see above) and xEdit are being updated as I write this.

19 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Quoted for truth.  This is how a lot of people I've spoken to are seeing it.

After I finish my current AE play-through I plan on relegating my Steam install of Skyrim to just mod development. 

38 minutes ago, Mertz said:

The CK "calls home" to Bethesda.net via the Steam API and that's why it doesn't work out of the box with the GOG version

Why would that make it incompatible with the GOG version?
If it does that, then it does that regardless of what version of the game data you are trying to use it with.
If you have a CK that requires Steam to function, then surely you have Steam, so CK can still use the Steam API.

41 minutes ago, Mertz said:

I don't know about FNIS  but LOOT, Bash (see above) and xEdit are being updated as I write this.

Hmm, i was hoping you would say "there is no need to update those tools because...", but i guess this is the second best possibility :)
So, as usual, no rush updating the game, let's just wait for the dust to settle first.