Skyrim SSE now on GOG.

2 hours ago, Roggvir said:

Why would that make it incompatible with the GOG version?
If it does that, then it does that regardless of what version of the game data you are trying to use it with.

From what I understand it isn't incompatible with the ES{M,P,L}s or BSA files, it more like DRM.

2 hours ago, Roggvir said:

If you have a CK that requires Steam to function, then surely you have Steam, so CK can still use the Steam API.

I'm on the same page as you.  I'm going to keep both versions installed; play the GOG version as my daily driver and only use the Steam version for development.

The folks I think would be interested in running the CK with the GOG version are folks that want to completely uninstall the Steam version of Skyrim and exclusively use the GOG version.  

5 hours ago, Roggvir said:

If you have a CK that requires Steam to function, then surely you have Steam, so CK can still use the Steam API.

CK <-> Bethesda.net because Creation Club

GOG <-/-> Bethesda.net because DRM

Or did I misunderstood you again?

Bethesda probably just failed to make (or didn't bothered in the first place) DRM-less executable for it. We'll never know unless some insiders would arrive. And I highly doubt that LL would be the destination for such an arrival.

1 hour ago, DrinkFromTheCup said:

CK <-> Bethesda.net because Creation Club

GOG <-/-> Bethesda.net because DRM

Or did I misunderstood you again?

Bethesda probably just failed to make (or didn't bothered in the first place) DRM-less executable for it. We'll never know unless some insiders would arrive. And I highly doubt that LL would be the destination for such an arrival.

I don't know if you misunderstood, but i think i definitely did, because i have no idea why are you now talking about DRM :)

I will try to rephrase what i wrote before:
If you have CK that requires Steam API (you wrote that the "CK's incompatibility" comes from its need for Steam API), then that means you have Steam, because why would you have CK that requires Steam, without also having Steam... am i making sense?
So, the mentioned incompatibility of CK with the GOG version, cannot have anything to do with Steam or Steam API.
You can start the CK no problem (you have Steam, so you have Steam API and CK can use it).

So what else would make the CK incompatible with the GOG version?

Only one thing comes to my mind, and that is: the CK cannot load the GOG version data files (Skyrim.ESM, etc.).
Why wouldn't it be able to load those data files?

Well, there is only one possible explanation - because the data structures has been changed and your old CK doesn't know how to process it.

And if the above is true, then that means, any tools that work directly with these data files, will also need to be updated (i think you even agreed with that point, when you mentioned that xEdit is being worked on?).
And this makes the GOG version a pretty bad choice until all tools get updated (unless you want to play vanila game with no mods, or only with the CC stuff).

So what else would make the CK incompatible with the GOG version?

That is a great question.  However, I highly doubt that Beth took the time to change the data structures just to fuck up the CK interface.  Makes no sense to put in that effort.  This part of the discussion is based on a single line of Nexus text with nothing official from Beth or GOG.   Changing the executable makes sense, but not the various esm and bsa files.

I guess we will see.

And this makes the GOG version a pretty bad choice until all tools get updated (unless you want to play vanila game with no mods, or only with the CC stuff).

No, it makes it not just a bad choice, but an impossible choice for mod creators like me.  The Nexus page sez that mods created for the Steam version works with the GOG version.  I am not keeping both versions so I can test that out each time I make a mod or update and old one.  I am working on a FO4 mod today and cussing Steam for the DRM crap they put me through each time I boot up Creation Kit.

I am guessing that Nexus got it wrong.  I will get the GOG version and test it.

•  

Bethesda has to offer finally both versions for free,  "DRM-free" for all those gamers, which bought those versions on steam, directly download on beth.net and-with creaton-kits and a working setup, optimized games and with gamebryo-exporters for 3dsmax for both games.

All other offers are mostly FUNNY.

23 hours ago, Mertz said:

Unconfirmed rumor:  Supposedly you can copy the steam_api64.dll (must be version 2.89.45.4) from the Steam version of Skyrim SE or Fallout 4 to the GOG SSE folder and trick it into thinking you're running it from the Steam version.

Update: I finally got time to test this and so far in my testing it *does not* work.

7 hours ago, Abelius said:

Could someone confirm if it does work with MO2?

The MO2 folks were working on it the last I heard and may already have a test build up on the MO2 Discord.

I don't have a link to the MO2 discord unfortunately.

23 hours ago, Abelius said:

It does, but like with all New shiny things, it takes a little more effort, from early adopters.

The claims of "Not supported", boil down to MO doesn't (currently) copy files for me. Same mentality that say "<Desired Setting> not supported", because I have no "Easy Mode" Slider, and must find, and edit an Ini file.

SkSE, and Nexus Mods got advanced notice, everyone else learned about it at same time.

Basically this is because GOG uses new dedicated folders for the settings files:

%LocalAppData%\Skyrim Special Edition GOG

Files may exist here but MO doesn't use these

MO auto generates the LoadOrder.txt, Plugins.txt, etc. for each profile separately, so these Vanilla files aren't needed.

You will see this comment line added to the start of all MO Autogenerated files

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.

For transfer of existing Profiles/Saves they should already exist, but as setups can vary so much, No AIO simple fix will work for everyone.

Basic procedure is the same, but more files may exist, if in any doubt just copy all of them, if MO doesn't need them, it will not use them. So, no harm, no foul

Key files Needing Manual copying

MO devs will soon add these new folders to the default listing, but for now user input is required.

%UserProfile%\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG
Saves\ <Folder>

SkyrimPrefs.ini

Skyrim.ini

These two files (and Saves Folder)need to currently be manually copied, to the Default profile folder (Create the Default Folder it if it doesn't already exist)

<MO Install Location>\Profiles\Default\

Important Note:

I've argued for a decade that Profile Specific Saves should ticked by default (Ini's already are).

This is vital to get MO working as intended, though it can normally be avoided if you only ever use one profile

MO can't work without Profile Specific Saves, when it doesn't know the Vanilla location, so ticking those boxes is required for now.

For a fresh start, that's all you need to do, Leave the Default Profile as your "Vanilla Source", and Copy that Profile rather than creating a new one.

I'd recommend first getting a "Base Mods" profile set up. Those mods you always install, Ini settings you won't ever change, etc..

This will them become your "Modded Source" , and you should then use this as your starting point for all modded profiles.

Edited by Uhuru N'Uru
On 10/1/2022 at 5:03 AM, Abelius said:

It works fine on MO2, but you MUST DOWNLOAD THE GOG PATCH.  See in files: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194?tab=files
Skyrim Special Edition GOG and Epic Games Support - Mod Organizer 2.4.x

If you don't install the patch, then MO2 won't auto-recognize the folders, and if you manually put them in, then MO2 won't link MO2 to the saves, INIs, plugins, data folders. Thus, the game may start but none of your saves, settings, or mods will be there. I got this right the first time, but then reinstalled on a second drive and forgot the blasted patch and was pulling my hair out for hours wondering what I did wrong. Hopefully they roll the patch into the master download soon so idiots like me won't make the same mistake. 

Well, I requested for refund.  The main executable "Skyrim.exe" has a version number 1.6.97 or something like that (a way ahead of the Steam version).  I don't know what's the logic behind it.  This means that when SKSE runs, it will spit out an error saying that your Skyrim is running a wrong version.  Not only SKSE, but any mod that also checks for game version will error out.  Don't bother asking me any questions.  Because I simply uninstalled the game right away. 

Edited by CPL254

Well, would you have been a bit more patient, you'd know there's already a skse version specific for the gog version of skyrim, and the mods are updating too.
But like every new versions of the game, it will take months for the community to be fully ready for gog skyrim, you just made the error to think it would be immediate.
Heck; the mods managers, and loot itself, aren't even completely ready for it.

May i remember you that some mods still haven't been updated for 1.6.353, and even less have been updated for 1.6.640 both on steam? So WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? Right from the start we already knew it was a new version of the game, gog never hid that.

So the only thing unexpected in your message is your lack of preparation.

There's even a warning about GOG 1.6.659 in the compatibility tracker.

Edited by Shonen17000
2 hours ago, Shonen17000 said:

Well, would you have been a bit more patient, you'd know there's already a skse version specific for the gog version of skyrim, and the mods are updating too.
But like every new versions of the game, it will take months for the community to be fully ready for gog skyrim, you just made the error to think it would be immediate.

May i remember you that some mods still haven't been updated for 1.6.353, and even less have been updated for 1.6.640 both on steam? So WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? Right from the start we already knew it was a new version of the game, gog never hid that.

2 hours ago, Shonen17000 said:

I won't stop you from spending your money.  That's for sure.  I'm speaking to other people here.  Don't buy it.  Only time when you should buy this game from GOG is when people stop modding for this game.  If Steam upgrades your game, you're doing something wrong.  That should not be your reason.  And why is it that the game version is different from Steam?  I don't get it.  I understand that GOG needs to recompile the EXE file to protect against the illegal copy.  But why change the version number?

3 minutes ago, CPL254 said:

I won't stop you from spending your money.  That's for sure.  I'm speaking to other people here.  Don't buy it.  Only time when you should buy this game from GOG is when people stop modding for this game.  If Steam upgrades your game, you're doing something wrong.  That should not be your reason.  And why is it that the game version is different from Steam?  I don't get it.  I understand that GOG needs to recompile the EXE file to protect against the illegal copy.  But why change the version number?  If this was any other game, this would be just fine.  But this is Skyrim.  People mod the hell out of this game every single day.  And GOG wants to go with their own version?  

29 minutes ago, CPL254 said:

I won't stop you from spending your money.  That's for sure.  I'm speaking to other people here.  Don't buy it.  Only time when you should buy this game from GOG is when people stop modding for this game.  If Steam upgrades your game, you're doing something wrong.  That should not be your reason.  And why is it that the game version is different from Steam?  I don't get it.  I understand that GOG needs to recompile the EXE file to protect against the illegal copy.  But why change the version number?

GOG didn't protect anything, they removed all the drms (so to say, gog skyrim is so unprotected that you can install AND play it without GOG Galaxy, like every others GOG games, it doesn't even need to be connected to the net), AND the creation club fonctionnality, the cc mods became a simple dlc. And since they did all those modifications they had to remove some functionalities from the game executable, also removing some of the hooks used by skse64 hence the new versions of the game AND skse64.
Besides, i long since downloaded a dowgrade patch allowing me to have the full cc content on steam while keeping version 1.5.97 of the engine, so i DON'T have any dlls issues.
That's why i talked about lack of preparation, if you had checked compatibility before hand, which was EASY to do, you'd have known that not only few of nexus mods are ready for gog, but also that NONE of loverslab mods are ready. Of course only speaking of those having or needing a custom dll.
I had bought the GOG version, but i won't mod it before everything is ready, for the time being i will play from the steam version.

And sadly since i use the french version of ussep, which HAS a custom dll used to correct the shitty and buggy translation from Bethesda (yup french skyrim have specific bugs, only existing in the french version of the game), i can't even install ussep yet

BTW GOG has a built in upgrade blocking and will have a downgrader when needed, no need for 3d party tools.

Edited by Shonen17000

It's just the launcher which is hidden when you don't use it, just like every other launchers, but like i said, you don't actually need the launcher for gog games, unlike steam games.

So there's nothing mysterious here.

Besides if you have a look in the task manager on windows, you'll see that GOG Galaxy has LESS processes running than steam, or even nvidia drivers.

Even corsair icue beat them up on the number of processes, and logitech Ghub has as much as GOG Galaxy.
Which means that your drivers, whatever the brand, often take more of your computer's ressources than your games launchers.

Edited by Shonen17000
On 10/21/2022 at 10:20 AM, CPL254 said:

Multiple misinformed rants, see specifics for each one below

If you don't know anything about GOG, don't pontificate your misinformation through a cloud of utter ignorance.

Ignorance is fine, we all have to learn how things work first, but I only make such assertive claims, after I fully understand the topic.

Attack the argument not the person is my motto, so if you're willing to learn, I will correct every piece of misinformation you've posted, in every single post you've made in this thread.

Some of which was in my first post

Uhuru N'Uru Posted October 2 (edited typos, it's always the typos)

This is an impressive list, speaking with the authority of someone that seems to know nothing at all about GOG, or how it works.

I don't do the meme crap but, "Every single word of what you just said is WRONG"

On 10/21/2022 at 5:48 AM, CPL254 said:

Well, I requested for refund.  The main executable "Skyrim.exe" has a version number 1.6.97 or something like that (a way ahead of the Steam version).  I don't know what's the logic behind it.  This means that when SKSE runs, it will spit out an error saying that your Skyrim is running a wrong version.  Not only SKSE, but any mod that also checks for game version will error out.  Don't bother asking me any questions.  Because I simply uninstalled the game right away. 

Oh nearly forgot, Steam Spend two hours setting up mods, no refund.

GOG 30 days, no play time limit refunds.

You had no need to rush to refund with GOG.

Get a game breaking bug that stops final boss battle, you can refund the game on GOG.

GOG does try to get your bug fixed first, but if they can't, you get a refund.

As I had already posted, isolated here because RTFM (Read The Fucking Manual) seems beyond your ability.

In an aside to those that know me from before the Creation Club days, when I was one of the leading MO support girls here, and on Official support page, I'm back.

RTFM first, ask for help second.

SkSE Team, and Nexus Mods got advanced notice, everyone else learned about it at same time.

So SkSE, and Vortex supported GOG, And Epic Fails (I mean Games) versions before they released (or at least they were ready to go).

Everything else including MO Team, found out about the GOG release when we did.

I also posted how to get MO up and running manually in that post, but on October 8th.

Two days before this post of yours, MO was updated so the manual instructions, were not required

Still useful to know how it's done, it came in handy with setting up The World Of Vyn IV - Enderal - The Shards Of Order {R+TES5} (Mod version), and likely will with Skywind, and Skyblivion, when they release as full conversion mods.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:59 AM, CPL254 said:

I won't stop you from spending your money.  That's for sure.  I'm speaking to other people here.  Don't buy it.  Only time when you should buy this game from GOG is when people stop modding for this game.  If Steam upgrades your game, you're doing something wrong.  That should not be your reason.  And why is it that the game version is different from Steam?  I don't get it.  I understand that GOG needs to recompile the EXE file to protect against the illegal copy.  But why change the version number?  If this was any other game, this would be just fine.  But this is Skyrim.  People mod the hell out of this game every single day.  And GOG wants to go with their own version?

WTF modding is the biggest reason for getting GOG release, no Creation Club.

GOG does NOT "protect against the illegal copy"

Do you even understand the concept of DRM free, it means their is NO copy protection.

Copy protection is useless, games will get pirated, sooner, or later.

It doesn't impact sales, I can pirate everything I own on GOG, or any other store, but I choose not to do that, and have bought over 400 GOG games, which are around 80% of my games.

I know exactly how and where to get all my games for free, and I don't need to ask for mod support.

I'm still one of those giving out the mod support, it's just not with BGS games these days.

Yet I often choose to buy the same game again, because it releases on GOG, precisely because of modding.

Around an 100 of those GOG games, have also been permanently removed from my Steam account.

The very day that MICS (Microtransaction Infested Cash Shop), was shoehorned into a game I bought two years before (Fallout 4) , and a game Bethesda Softworks gave me for free (Skyrim SE) one year before.

That is the worst form of MICS, at least with Loot Boxes, and even NFTs, I know before release your game is a MISC, then I won't even buy it.

I removed both games from my Steam account that very day, and the moment SSE is released on GOG MICS free, I buy it on GOG.

I've been MIA pretty much ever since, and I was one of the main MO user support gurus, both here, and MOs Official Support on Nexus, and STEP Wiki.

Not saying, I've got that same Fangirl urge to mod BGS games back just yet, that's still an open wound, and I don't trust BS (Bethesda Softworks).

So I was going to wait at least 4 years for Starfield to get MISC disease, before I commit a second to it, but now the for GOG version ASAP?

This is ALSO exactly why GOG must have it's own version

Single Player, DRM free gaming, demands every game must work without a store client even existing on your PC, or you can use Galaxy, it's the users choice which way they want to go..

Creation Club is gone, removed completely, replaced by an AIO DLC pack.

SkSE has had constant updates to keep up, the bane of SSE, and F4 modding is gone.

Steam forced game/mod updates are gone, you choose when your heavily modded GOG game gets updated, NOT Valve, NOT BGS, NOT GOG.

Sure you can find several "Workarounds" for Steam's many flaws, and keep older versions working, but with GOG they aren't needed, and what's more never will be.

My GOG games come as the digital equivalent of games on Disc, but always fully patched, and I decide when, and if to update each game, plus where the games get installed.

None of that must be in Common Folder, and must have name Steam demands.

Galaxy has those type of options, but they are just options, not requirements.

Back in 32-bit Skyrim's update days, I used Symbolic Links to avoid such updates, with different installs, but that was over after Dragonborn released, we was on v1.9.32 ever since

From UESP: Patch 1.9.32.0.8 was released to all PC users on 20 March 2013

Skyrim never needed Avoid Update workarounds, after that date, and still doesn't, now GOG version won't either.

No crappy Workshop restrictions, for a subset of mods, that force updates just like games on Steam, and requires Steam owned version to even download the mods.

GOG leaves modding where it belongs, in the modders hands, not an exclusive Walled Garden.

Everything Modding is about, GOG supports, giving the User choice is what GOG is all about.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:20 AM, CPL254 said:

By the way, did you know that GOG installs its own program in the Taskbar?  I don't know why?  Is that for the copy right protection?  I don't know.  

GOG installs its own program in the Taskbar? You don't know why?

Steam installs its own program in the Taskbar? Do you know why?

Answer is same, they are both Store Clients, Steam, and GOG Galaxy.

Difference is Steam gives you no choice you must use it, GOG is optional, but precisely because of people like you, Galaxy is the default "easy for noobs" options.

With GOG, you don't need to use Galaxy for Single Player, and it's only because multiplayer devs started to use the Steam Store Client, as the games network client, that multiplayer games now need a sore client.

That typo left unfixed, gaping wound of ripped out functionality, requires a Sore Client bandage!

No such need, with games that have the network client as part of the game.

TLDR for those to lazy to RTFM

GOG versions of ANY game are ALWAYS the best modding platform, because all choices that impact modding, are left to each user.

Nuff said.

Edited by Uhuru N'Uru
Typos, fomatting, and added the refund info.

I see.  You're one of those people who need to have your own physical copy.  I get it.  There is nothing wrong with that.   But there are other groups of people who are perfectly happy with Steam.  Yes, Steam has many flaws.  But some people only care about playing games and the mods that work, not worrying about compatibilities and etc.  I don't hate GOG.  I'll probably buy it only when the modding stops for Skyrim.  That's all.  You don't have to use "F" word.  Don't take it too personally.  You don't have to write such long paragraphs.  

Where did she say she needed a physical copy, she said the GOG version gave an install result EQUIVALENT to a physical copy, whereas steam version is rid with unneeded pay to play functionnalities.
Stop reading half the words and understanding what you WANT to understand, i'm not even a native english language user, and i perfectly understood what she said.

Edited by Shonen17000

Whatever ....  The problem here is that you guys are taking this too seriously.  If someone disagrees with you, just let it go.  All I wanted to do was to tell people who simply want the mods to work.   If I embarrassed you in any ways, I'm sorry.  But you started adding words like "F" and etc.  

Anyway, I'm not posting anything going forward.  So, good day.  

Edited by CPL254
On 10/26/2022 at 7:51 AM, Shonen17000 said:

We just don't you to spread misinformation and misunderstanding is all.

This is exactly what I said, user choice is of paramount importance, especially for prolific mod users, it's the core fundamental of why modding even exists.

So we don't care what each user chooses just that they are making it on accurate information.

Not only are you making your choice from a complete opposite, and opinion based, not objective facts, which I would have let slide, except

You were telling other users, not to get the GOG release, as if never using GOG, made you a de facto authority on the subject of modding GOG releases.

That is what I couldn't let slide,

Consider, every time the MICS (Microtransaction Infested Cash Shop) changes, the Steam version of SSE (Skyrim Special Edition) updates, SkSE64 (Skyrim Script Extender 64-bit) must then update, and mods update.

Steam SSE modders have found convenient Workarounds, to cope, and those are the very same workarounds that were last needed when Skyrim updated, but the last Skyrim patch released on 20th March 2013.

GOG editions, of all BGS (Bethesda Games Studios), are released long after Game Patching is done.

All have been the equivalent of a single MICS Update, so Tools, and exe/memory hooking mods will need that one time update.

Simple Data folder only mods "It Just Work" (Thanks Todd) regardless, on both Steam, GOG, or any other store, as far as MICS updates go.

I've still not got the urge to mod BGS games again yet, adding a MICS, after the games release is the very worst thing any publisher can do, in my opinion.

Add it before I just don't buy that game, add it 2 years afterwards, and I don't buy any of that Publishers games, until it's gone for good.

Even so it was two years after Fallout 4 released before the MICS appeared.

So Starfield needs to be sold on GOG, or TES6 gets released, before I will be convinced it won't happen again.

On 10/24/2022 at 7:47 PM, CPL254 said:

I see.  You're one of those people who need to have your own physical copy.  I get it.  There is nothing wrong with that.   But there are other groups of people who are perfectly happy with Steam.  Yes, Steam has many flaws.  But some people only care about playing games and the mods that work, not worrying about compatibilities and etc.  I don't hate GOG.  I'll probably buy it only when the modding stops for Skyrim.  That's all.  You don't have to use "F" word.  Don't take it too personally.  You don't have to write such long paragraphs.  

I did need to use the "F" word.

I define every acronym on first use in every post, it's a noob friendly user support technique, I assume you know nothing, until you show me otherwise.

RTFM (Read The Fucking Manual) was a commonly used acronym in BGS modding support, and not just by me, when I was last here.

When the 10,000th user doesn't read the first line of any MO guide, and asks "Where are my mods? Data folder is empty?".

We responded with "1st RTFM, 2nd Still clueless, then ask for help, and we will help", or words that mean the same thing.

Note: GOG is NOT an acronym, the full name is officially GOG.com, the original meaning of "Good Old Games", applied to that unique period when PC games only got Physical releases, which had already ended on PC by 2012, when Steam went no curation.

It was a good model to get GOG established, but the niche they created was for a time long gone, and GOG couldn't survive on God Old Games alone, it was a finite resource, at least now GOG is marketing them again, as the subset games they are.

Also I have no physical copies of games, digital downloads of fully patched working games in offline installers is far superior to anything physical, I buy games to keep, and mod for decades.

My issue is Store Clients, and single Player Games don't need a Network Client. Even Multiplayer Games should have their own Network Client.

Steam taking over the Network Client, is the only reason Galaxy even exists, and the responsibility for that lies on Sony/MS, as they forced Console Games to use their paywalled Network Client, which also forced Steam to do the same.

Skyrim Modding will never end, Morrowind hasn't stopped being modded, and even Daggerfall is still getting modded.

Why would the game with the most mods ever, and approximately equaling every games mods combined.

We don't need Dev support to mod games, and only get it now, because us old timers modded them unsupported back in the bad old days.

I'm an old school community focused modder, I was already 8 years old when Pong released, I've seen it all.

I'm not a nostalgia goggled 8-bit pixelated trash girl though, if a games made today, faking 8-bit is an instant turn off for me.

I mod old games to make them look better on newer hardware, so faking new games to look worse on that hardware is not going to work with me.