Anniversary Edition.

31 minutes ago, KicklerOfButts said:

Why the actual balls is the AE release messing with my SSE installation? Whatever bullshit they're doing with AE should stay exclusive to those actually running that heap of garbage, not be forced on those of us still sticking to SSE.

Try reading a bit. AE was an update for SE and also a paid DLC. If you didn't disabled automatic updates in the last 2 years, Steam updated your SE to the lattest version and it broke compatibility with plenty of mods. Downgrade to the previous version and avoid automatic updates.

30 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

But only if you know what the DLL is doing and, better still, if you have created it. Do you really mean that a DLL is created just to use SKSE Papyrus functions? Are you an author of a mod or a DLL - if not, where does your limitless wisdom come from?

It was only a statement of technical fact. Changing the executable that a mod has to interact with does not break the mod by itself. It just will not be compatible with the new executable. It does all of the same things that it did before if an older form of the executable is used. 

It would be just as accurate to say that one's old baby clothes are not useless, only that one has outgrown them. 

28 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

It was only a statement of technical fact. Changing the executable that a mod has to interact with does not break the mod by itself. It just will not be compatible with the new executable. It does all of the same things that it did before if an older form of the executable is used. 

It would be just as accurate to say that one's old baby clothes are not useless, only that one has outgrown them. 

That's right - but my answer was not an answer to you. ;)
PS: (Sometimes it can even happen that a DLL does not work anymore because it was compiled in an old version - but it almost NEVER happens - word of honor)

Edited by Andy14
20 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

This is true. The point still stands that Grey Cloud's response was needlessly pedantic. The DLL doesn't work, it doesn't matter *why* it doesn't work right now, only that it doesn't and this breaks mods, which was the original question that was asked. They knew that full well. Until DLL's are fixed, Mod = Broken. 

Still, I'm not getting into an argument with them, it's what they do. 

Edited by aranious
1 hour ago, Just Don't said:

Try reading a bit. AE was an update for SE and also a paid DLC. If you didn't disabled automatic updates in the last 2 years, Steam updated your SE to the lattest version and it broke compatibility with plenty of mods. Downgrade to the previous version and avoid automatic updates.

You try reading a bit. My issue isn't that there was a patch and now SKSE isn't compatible (Though that is still pointless bullshit they could and should have fixed years ago), it's that the "patch" is completely superfluous since I don't even have AE and it's still fucking up my install.

I am well aware that the AE edition is literally just SSE but with some shitty mods from the Creation Club tacked on, it doesn't change my point at all.

AE is a separate purchase and download from SSE, it's DLC , there is literally no reason what so ever to modify base installations of SSE that don't even have AE. They could literally just package everything that's different into the AE download and not cause any problems for plain SSE users, but they chose to intentionally not do that, just how they chose to design their shitty CC store in a way that intentionally messes with non-CC modding every update for no reason other than they want to encourage people towards the CC store.

The whole patch is literally just Bethesda making it as bothersome and bullshit as possible to run any version other than the one they're currently trying to sell you.

It's disgusting business practice, it's disgusting game design, it's disgusting all-around behaviour that clearly shows how little they actually care about their players.

7 minutes ago, KicklerOfButts said:

You try reading a bit. My issue isn't that there was a patch and now SKSE isn't compatible (Though that is still pointless bullshit they could and should have fixed years ago), it's that the "patch" is completely superfluous since I don't even have AE and it's still fucking up my install.

What product version does your skyrimse.exe has?

18 hours ago, Just Don't said:

What product version does your skyrimse.exe has?

I suspect you're missing my point.
But in case you're not, it's 1.6.318.0.

57 minutes ago, Heroine HoneyCrotch said:

Amazing! Does this mean I have AE? I reinstalled SE on the 11th, was hoping to have AE and didnt want to pay for it. Looks like I got it. Off course staying on LE until skse and stuff gets worked out. 

The easiest way to check is go to the steam store product page of the AE edition. If it doesn't say that you already own it and you can still purchase it, then you don't have it.

1 hour ago, KicklerOfButts said:

I suspect you're missing my point.
But in case you're not, it's 1.6.318.0.

You have the AE update. Because as I said, AE is both an update for Skyrim SE and a paid DLC. If you don't pay for the DLC you'll still get the update (unless you avoid automatic updates which has been the recommended motto for the past 2-4 years).

What's your point? That Bethesda shouldn't have forced that update for non-AE buyers? Okay. But they did. And you got the update.

Now you can keep complaining about why things broke, or use one of the multiple ways to rollback to 1.5.97 and keep playing your modded game (this time avoiding updates for sure, and double checking that you're getting mods compatible with the game and SKSE version you fought to have instead of AE).

58 minutes ago, donttouchmethere said:

That's what I thought too ?

But something smells fishy ?

It looks like without paying for AE update I just got 4 creation club mods installed grattis from Bethesda. Whatever? I got time to decide if I want further update(pay money) with other creation club mods. SE is inevitable, the idea of having some added free content seems cool, hopefully skse side of things will be managed nicely. 

Region1111.jpg.3e02e72a71e5ca2cdcf70a541ad913de.jpg

2 hours ago, donttouchmethere said:

But something smells fishy

Skyrim AE - Skyrim Aromatic Edition?

49 minutes ago, Heroine HoneyCrotch said:

having some added free content seems cool,

Note the second paragraph, last full line:

"Fishing skill". ?

Edited by Grey Cloud
22 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Skyrim AE - Skyrim Aromatic Edition?

Note the second paragraph, last full line:

"Fishing skill". ?

Hide contents

Certainly will not be doing any fishing in skyrim!

It's not like i use all the vanilla content and or all content from installed mods. 

For the SE users that already had their SE set up, idk maybe AE sucks big time, but I never did the convert myself though I have felt for a minute that the time is near.  

@Cloud You see that info in post I attached to forum "I read that shit bro"  I read it 2 times! just for you!

-Love you bro!

Edited by Heroine HoneyCrotch
On 11/20/2021 at 8:25 PM, Just Don't said:

You have the AE update. Because as I said, AE is both an update for Skyrim SE and a paid DLC. If you don't pay for the DLC you'll still get the update (unless you avoid automatic updates which has been the recommended motto for the past 2-4 years).

What's your point? That Bethesda shouldn't have forced that update for non-AE buyers? Okay. But they did. And you got the update.

Now you can keep complaining about why things broke, or use one of the multiple ways to rollback to 1.5.97 and keep playing your modded game (this time avoiding updates for sure, and double checking that you're getting mods compatible with the game and SKSE version you fought to have instead of AE).

Why exactly are you defending a 100% scumbag business move that literally does nothing but screw over the players for the sake of more money?
You do realize you're complaining about the fact that someone is complaining about a highly legitimate and serious issue, meaning you're literally doing the exact same thing you're accusing me of but for an infinitely dumber reason.

Since you seem to have not looked into the patch yourself, you've clearly missed that this isn't "just another patch breaking skse", this patch completely balls up the way the game has historically recognized plugins and consequently, several major mods including SKSE itself are having to literally re-write their mods from the ground up.

All because Bethesda decided to be greedy and force the AE shitshow onto every SSE user regardless of whether they actually have it or not, consequences be damned.

The only way to get rid off disgusting business practices like this is to keep being vocal about them and not letting scumbag companies like Bethesda get away with it time after time like you're suggesting we do instead. "Oh they shat in your dinner, big deal, just deal with it and stop complaining. You shouldn't have let them squat over your plate, this is your fault."

Oh! So I'm reading that it's not a simple matter of recompiling the code (mods) that depend on SKSE because some things (functions I guess) have changed or addresses have been moved? Which in turn mean some mods need to be rebuilt by the author? No wonder this sucks balls! It means that some SKSE mods will probably not ever be done for the newest version of the game (and will give a few headaches to the authors that do). That kind of sucks because I actually was looking forward to playing/modding the free content they included. But I won't ever switch to the updated version if I can't have all my mods... and just fuck AE flat out.

Edited by KoolHndLuke
2 hours ago, KicklerOfButts said:

Why exactly are you defending a 100% scumbag business move that literally does nothing but screw over the players for the sake of more money?

I'm not. All I'm saying is you can ignore this issue entirely with a proper setup. And if you didn't had that before, you can keep playing your modded game after a simple rollback.

2 hours ago, KicklerOfButts said:

this patch completely balls up the way the game has historically recognized plugins and consequently, several major mods including SKSE itself are having to literally re-write their mods from the ground up.

Every update did that for most skse plugins between 2017 and 2019. I know the compiler changed now and major changes are needed. But we're seeing mods being updated constantly, and not just for AE but for the new Address Library which wasn't around 4-2 years ago. So I'm not sure what's your point. Bethesda has been doing this for years and every time a portion of players react in awe.

You're free to kick and screams all you want. Good luck with that.

Edited by Just Don't
3 hours ago, Just Don't said:

I'm not. All I'm saying is you can ignore this issue entirely with a proper setup. And if you didn't had that before, you can keep playing your modded game after a simple rollback.

Every update did that for most skse plugins between 2017 and 2019. I know the compiler changed now and major changes are needed. But we're seeing mods being updated constantly, and not just for AE but for the new Address Library which wasn't around 4-2 years ago. So I'm not sure what's your point. Bethesda has been doing this for years and every time a portion of players react in awe.

You're free to kick and screams all you want. Good luck with that.

You are literally advocating complacency in the face of toxic business practices.
"You got shot and the ambulance didn't show up? Stop whining, that's just how it is, deal with it."

The issue isn't "just" that I can't play the game anymore, it's that Bethesda keeps doing this shit to no end and time after time they get away with it because of people like you who just tell people to shut up and take it. Simply staying on an ancient rollbacked patch version for the rest of your life isn't a sustainable long-term solution, none of the unfinished mods you were running will be able to be updated and you won't be able to run anything new so eventually you're going to *HAVE* to update anyways, not to mention the fact that you won't find any technical help for problems you're having with ancient version number whateverthefuck.

But neither is it viable or acceptable to have to continue to update and error-check and re-download and re-install and compatibility-check and stability-check hundreds of mods every other month just because some dickweed at Bethesda felt like throwing some more shit into the CC store, even worse with mods that don't get updated so you either have to do THAT as well on top of it all just to get shit baseline working again!

And that Address Library mod you mentioned? You know what the developer of it has had to say after this tragedy of a patch?

Spoiler

Matching 1.5.97.0 to 1.6.x is too impossible (around 60% could be automatically matched after a week of trying), this is too low to be useful. So in the end we (on RE discord) decided to just create a new address library for 1.6.x. What this means is that the IDs from 1.5.x no longer correspond to 1.6.x and must be re-created for mod authors.

1.5.x DLLs are truly never going to be compatible with 1.6.x and other way around. This is also recognized by SKSE devs as they made a completely new version system to load plugins now to avoid loading mismatched version plugins.

But this is not the end of the world. I will continue to maintain the 1.6.x address library should there be new game versions, and if a mod author updates their plugin to use new library they will find it easy to only recompile with new version number only and don't have to change anything.

However the initial porting process to make the plugin compatible with AE will be painful, in order to help out a little bit I uploaded the result of my attempts at matching 1.5.97 to 1.6.318 in the miscellaneous files section - should give you a pretty good idea where to look for the offsets, and also uploaded the ID to offset list in optional files (for 1.6.318 ).

Or you can forgo the library completely, if you find it easier to use offsets and manually update with each patch moving forward. There's no guarantee that Bethesda won't pull something like this again :(

All this unnecessary circle-jerk nonsense just because Bethesda wanted so badly to sell everyone another copy of fucking Skyrim that's actually just exactly the game they already have but with some useless crap from the CC store thrown on top! Even screwing over those who don't buy or get the shitty CC crap in the first place!

This patch is the worst one they've ever done because it's not just the same old crap, it's the same old crap AND a much deeper breaking of mods than anything they've previously done, setting back dozens of mod developers weeks of work AND we have to fucking pay for the privilege (if you bought AE) OR we'll be thrown through the shit anyways only without even getting the CC crap they're doing it all for!  (If you DIDN'T buy AE like me but we still get the sodding patch anyways)

On 11/11/2021 at 9:54 PM, aranious said:

The only difference for me was that the upgrade from LE to SE was worth it for me, I never could get LE to be as stable as I've managed to get SE

For me, that was exactly the reason why I switched. In Oldrim I only had crashes all the time, so it was really no fun to play anymore. Unfortunately, many mods have never been transferred from Oldrim/LE to SE and I suspect that will also be the case with the AE Upgrade. Many mod creators have long time ago stopped working on their mods and those who upgrade to AE will never be able to play many mods again, as happened with the upgrade to SE. However, there are also new mods on SE that would probably never have worked on Oldrim. Is there actually a list or overview of broken mods or which ones still work?