Anniversary Edition.

First off.

TURN OFF AUTO UPDATE ON STEAM!!!!!!

I forgot, and now I'm stuck using this shitty modless version of the game (Yes I know SKSE got an update too, but not a chance that's anywhere near as compatible as it needs to be, especially for basically ANYTHING hosted here).

I swear, it's like Beth hate their fans? Mods are one of the main reasons Skryim has been as long lasting as it is, and this just feels like a slap in the face. Hell, even if SKSE and all the mods somehow magically work, I guarantee you that save files are in danger now. New flags etc that are meant to be called at the start of the game won't be etc.

Maybe this is an overreaction, maybe it'll all be fine. But past experiences make me think otherwise.

For anyone else who has it, how have you found compatibility so far?

For me? Awful, even with new SKSE and starting a new game (good bye 100 hour save), I'm getting constant CTD's using even the bare minimum mods from here, popular stuff from Nexus works....sorta. 

Edit: Just discovered a "downgrade patch" on nexus and Reddit. Seems promising so far : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618?tab=description

May help others who forgot to turn off auto download. 

Edited by aranious
1 hour ago, aranious said:

First off.

TURN OFF AUTO UPDATE ON STEAM!!!!!!

I forgot, and now I'm stuck using this shitty modless version of the game (Yes I know SKSE got an update too, but not a chance that's anywhere near as compatible as it needs to be, especially for basically ANYTHING hosted here).

I swear, it's like Beth hate their fans? Mods are one of the main reasons Skryim has been as long lasting as it is, and this just feels like a slap in the face. Hell, even if SKSE and all the mods somehow magically work, I guarantee you that save files are in danger now. New flags etc that are meant to be called at the start of the game won't be etc.

Maybe this is an overreaction, maybe it'll all be fine. But past experiences make me think otherwise.

For anyone else who has it, how have you found compatibility so far?

For me? Awful, even with new SKSE and starting a new game (good bye 100 hour save), I'm getting constant CTD's using even the bare minimum mods from here, popular stuff from Nexus works....sorta. 

Edit: Just discovered a "downgrade patch" on nexus and Reddit. Seems promising so far : https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618?tab=description

May help others who forgot to turn off auto download. 

Sometimes i am more than happy to play on LE. I know SE has a some advantages but when it comes to stuff like this...

I mean, honestly it's kinda the same as LE to SE in some ways, there was a modpocalypse back then too.

The only difference for me was that the upgrade from LE to SE was worth it for me, I never could get LE to be as stable as I've managed to get SE (mostly down to hardware issues more than anything actually), where as the AE just seems pointless? Not only pointless, but game and (from what I'm reading online) save-breakingly pointless.

Granted AE is still SE at it's core, it's just fancy DLC basically, but that DLC changing and breaking mods just seems crazy to me. 

I have basically ceased trusting any game which has updates.

Are there game companies who don't ruin balance, add exploitative "features", or otherwise destroy their games through sheer incompetence? Yes, of course there are.

Is that the majority of games which receives updates? Fuck no! When it comes to games, no news is good news.

13 minutes ago, SmedleyDButler said:

Are there game companies who don't ruin balance, add exploitative "features", or otherwise destroy their games through sheer incompetence? Yes, of course there are.

Is that the majority of games which receives updates? Fuck no! When it comes to games, no news is good news.

*Angry Paradox noises*

To be fair to Beth, they did allow the SKSE guys early access to the game, and it was discovered that SKSE would require an almost complete rewrite.  I think that showed that Beth did care about mods to some extent.  The downside is whether the update to either Skyrim or SKSE inadvertently breaks anything in the process.

Rule Number One on Bethesda Games: Wait 3 Years after launching, and all will be fine :P

Those, who have been trapped by the "Windows Vista OS" know this rule learned from Highking Microsoft itself. But time goes by, and our Master Modders supported us with more and more better solutions in the past, and they will do it in the future again. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but...

The most messed Issue for me is the fact, that the "Survival Mod" automatically weight my Arrows and fills my Backpack, although they are set to 0.000 in my "WeaponsArmorClutterFix.esp". Bad kind of customization, but... time goes by...

I had forgotten how hideous the original characters were without mods, wish I would have told steam to not update this game, I rarely play but now I can't, it took me a lot of time to get Skyrim to look as amazing and realistic as I it was, I mean over 24 hours to make it look so good and play well without crashes even online with Harbor, all to be broken by this ninja update, well off to other games thanks Bethesda for killing your own game.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:59 PM, SmedleyDButler said:

Funny enough, it was Electronic Arts of all companies which made updating mods to be compatible with their new version of Python used by The Sims 4 painless by sending ahead a list of the changes and code so that when the update arrived, everything was already converted. For the average mod user, it was almost as if the update never happened at all. 

On 11/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, iqoniq said:

To be fair to Beth, they did allow the SKSE guys early access to the game, and it was discovered that SKSE would require an almost complete rewrite.  I think that showed that Beth did care about mods to some extent.  The downside is whether the update to either Skyrim or SKSE inadvertently breaks anything in the process.

It might have helped if they had sent copies ahead as soon as it was ready as EA Maxis did with their updated Python code but it is a sign that they know that they would hurt the popularity of their games (as well as reduce the pool of ideas the draw from in future game releases) by limiting things to Creation Club regardless of some peoples' claims to the contrary. Much of what they do seems to be the result of hypo-competence or laziness rather than malice. 

6 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

It might have helped if they had sent copies ahead as soon as it was ready as EA Maxis did with their updated Python code but it is a sign that they know that they would hurt the popularity of their games (as well as reduce the pool of ideas the draw from in future game releases) by limiting things to Creation Club regardless of some peoples' claims to the contrary. Much of what they do seems to be the result of hypo-competence or laziness rather than malice. 

Tends to happen when you talk about how ______ mods are, and can't actually name one to literally save your life because you've never actually installed one.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:05 AM, RandomKhajiit said:

skyrim AE's issue people are calling bugs is it reads scripts faster then mods can keep up creating null errors which result in bugs of many kinds

If that reading scripts faster thing is actually true, then I can see that *eventually* being a positive for script heavy mods and would be interested to see how it pans out.

After I calmed down, I backed up my old SE folder after using that downgrader mod (everything seems perfectly fine), I let it update to AE then through steam and ran it without mods.

It's not worth it. the "next gen" graphics they mention are...just the exact same as SE really? And again, most mainstay mods (SMIM, weathers etc) already make SE prettier than it was.

The creation club stuff is nice I guess? Haven't explored it much but it is what it is.

This doesn't even feel like a cashgrab to me any more, it feels like a stall for time before 6 comes out.