Skyrim Needs A Sci-Fi Mod

I recently watched a film called Riverworld on Prime and although the film itself was absolutely terrible and clearly called off its sequel, the premise of the story was actually pretty good. The idea was that when people die, they wake up in an afterlife of sorts on some alien world where they're provided food and clothes and people have made these basic tribal communities.

Skyrim's start sequence has been a meme for a decade now, so I find it strange how nobody has created a dedicated science-fiction alternative start, or somehow tried to tie the Elder Scrolls universe to our own in some way. Personal opinion of course, but I think a mod where you start off next to a crashed spaceship with a ridiculously OP gun (albeit with limited ammo) could be a good basis for entirely new world building and perhaps give license for lore breaking clothing mods.

Or perhaps if you could find some huge crashed spaceship, and find out that humans aren't actually native to Nirn at all. Or maybe an idea that Tamriel is some sort of alien experiment with humanoid species from numerous planets brought to Nirn for observation. Personally I like being able to put myself into the character's shoes but that is pretty hard to do when the cultures and worldviews would be so different. An "earth man/woman wakes up in Tamriel" mod, with some basic altered dialogues I think would be a great addition.

I don't know why I'm writing this to be honest, I have absolutely zero modding ability. Just attempting to see if I'm not the only one, lol.

33 minutes ago, OriginalOrange said:

I recently watched a film called Riverworld on Prime and although the film itself was absolutely terrible and clearly called off its sequel, the premise of the story was actually pretty good. The idea was that when people die, they wake up in an afterlife of sorts on some alien world where they're provided food and clothes and people have made these basic tribal communities.

Skyrim's start sequence has been a meme for a decade now, so I find it strange how nobody has created a dedicated science-fiction alternative start, or somehow tried to tie the Elder Scrolls universe to our own in some way. Personal opinion of course, but I think a mod where you start off next to a crashed spaceship with a ridiculously OP gun (albeit with limited ammo) could be a good basis for entirely new world building and perhaps give license for lore breaking clothing mods.

Or perhaps if you could find some huge crashed spaceship, and find out that humans aren't actually native to Nirn at all. Or maybe an idea that Tamriel is some sort of alien experiment with humanoid species from numerous planets brought to Nirn for observation. Personally I like being able to put myself into the character's shoes but that is pretty hard to do when the cultures and worldviews would be so different. An "earth man/woman wakes up in Tamriel" mod, with some basic altered dialogues I think would be a great addition.

I don't know why I'm writing this to be honest, I have absolutely zero modding ability. Just attempting to see if I'm not the only one, lol.

You should read the books starting with 'To Your Scattered Bodies Go', ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Your_Scattered_Bodies_Go )

There are actually quite a few Skyrim sci-fi mods, be it Aether Suite, Q-World, Crential Sea World (hey, it is futuristic compared to anything else in Skyrim), Star Wars mods (Light Sabers, speeder bikes, droids, Force powers and the like), high tech sword mods, sci-fi gun mods, sci-fi follower mods (most notably M.A.R.I the robot and Recorder the traveler from another space and time) and even a Predator race and weapons mod.

One should also never forget Valve's own Skyrim mod, Fall of the Space Core (in which the Space Core is 'Isekai'd' into Nirn).

There might just be enough to put together a decent sized list for every version of Skyrim out there at the moment.

Edited by FauxFurry

Project AHO. Pretty much a love Letter to SCI Fi in skyrim optic. Especially the last Reward and the optional Follower you can get..

Combine it with FauxFurry's idea and some other Dwemer inspired mods and you have basically Skyrim - StarTrek the last Jedi of Gallifrey... on Crack

Would not interest me even the slightest, sci-fi in skyrim unless carefully done does not really fit the theme, which puts me off it, same with fallout though some of the skyrim ish type stuff for fallout puts me off that as well it just looks or feels odd, usually though it is the texture sets, far too bright and colorful for skyrim, it jars massively with the base game and just looks wrong or too odd, there again that goes with clothes and armor made for skyrim sometimes you wonder just what the developer was on when looking at the colors and texture sets for it.

15 hours ago, Varithina said:

, sci-fi in skyrim unless carefully done does not really fit the theme

You should consider taking a look at Aethernautics, Wheels of Lull, Wonders of Mzark, Dwemer Spectres and any of the Trainwiz mods. It's kinda Sci-Fi/Dwemerpunk-ish in nature and takes influences and themes from C0DA. It is more about weird dwemer technology and time travel than lasers and space ships. It actually fits pretty well if you consider that what for most of Skyrim is "magic". may have just been "technology" for the dwemer.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:24 AM, OriginalOrange said:

Or perhaps if you could find some huge crashed spaceship

Aethernautics is EXACTLY what you're looking for.

Edited by belegost
47 minutes ago, belegost said:

You should consider taking a look at Aethernautics, Wheels of Lull, Wonders of Mzark, Dwemer Spectres and any of the Trainwiz mods. It's kinda Sci-Fi/Dwemerpunk-ish in nature and takes influences and themes from C0DA. It is more about weird dwemer technology and time travel than lasers and space ships. It actually fits pretty well if you consider that what for most of Skyrim is "magic". may have just been "technology" for the dwemer.

That would require me to get a working skyrim install long enough to actually play anything, that in itself is the major problem, I keep re-building and working on my conflict resolution patch, then deciding I like this or that more, re-build and start re-editing the conflict res patch, then change my mind again and have to restart, which pretty much gives me a non working install all the time.  Though I did look a wheels and wonders a while back never really got into them too much though, my game/saves started to play silly buggers just after and never went back to them.

Edited by Varithina
13 minutes ago, Varithina said:

That would require me to get a working skyrim install long enough to actually play anything, that in itself is the major problem, I keep re-building and working on my conflict resolution patch, then deciding I like this or that more, re-build and start re-editing the conflict res patch, then change my mind again and have to restart, which pretty much gives me a non working install all the time.  Though I did look a wheels and wonders a while back never really got into them too much though, my game/saves started to play silly buggers just after and never went back to them.

Both of the main mod managers in use today have "profiles" feature. I use it extensively to test out mods or create a completely new load order with different theme without compromising ongoing saves.

7 hours ago, belegost said:

Both of the main mod managers in use today have "profiles" feature. I use it extensively to test out mods or create a completely new load order with different theme without compromising ongoing saves.

I know and the implementation in both is garbage, unless you do things just the right way there is now way of hiding mods that are not part of one profile, and it is not add on mods which any quest mod is, it is the base game mods I keep changing, profiles in this case do nothing to help that, because I would still have to redo the conflict patch regardless.  When I do run what are in effect profiles they are completely separate installs of mo2, which I find much easier to manage.

Edited by Varithina

Skyrim can be whatever anybody wants it to be. Sometimes I make a profile in MO2 for an MMO/anime look, other times' I makes Skyrim completely covered in snow with survival mods, and most recently I used mods to add an 'age of adventure' feel to the world with npcs using 16th-17th century attire with pistols/rifles/rapiers. If people don't like that, not my problem, go play vanilla. Its the very definition of lore-friendly and I already played it to the end ages ago.

• 2 months later...

There are more sci-fi mods for Skyrim than there are mods for Tamriel. You can even go to the moon (in the Dwemertech mod) while you can't ride to Morrowind (which is just bordering the province).

But I don't think dwemer-themed mods are sci-fi at all, they are steam fiction. Clockwork have a victorian-style house that I still use to this day. 

Edited by Wolfstorm321

I know there is a Jaffa Staff Weapon and Zat Gun mod from Stargate SG1, I just want the freakin Ori Staff weapon as part of that mod now and I'm happy {note I play legendary edition not anniversary edition}

Now that I think about it a Lothcat mod would be nice too; Similar to A Cats Life mod on Skyrim, only in this case they're the Lothcats from Star Wars Rebels {could even be followers ?}

Edited by Tiruil