Devious Devices - Laura's Bondage Shop (11-dec-2023) V3.43

There are some nuances in the new quest which I kinda want to point out (maybe something of this sort has been mentioned already).

Spoiler

1) It's somewhat strange that you can't fight the guards. What I mean is, the moment you walk into the store, there is nothing stopping you character (assuming they are powerful enough) from killing the guards. I think it'd be better if you were shackled the moment you walked into the store 'by surprise'. Or contained in some other way. It make sense for you to not act later, when you see Laura is threatened (though not for all types of character).

2) Another thing (which has to do with the might of PC again) is the fact that you can't just go and kill Sloane. A small army? Well, I'm a master in destruction with free spells, what in this world can stop me?

So, my point is, it's a lame implementation when you character is just assumed to be incapable of fighting out of the situation. Pointing out the fact that you are taken by surprise or there are some things other than a powerful enemy stopping you would make it better.

But after all, it's just a subjective opition.

A bit difficult to answer on spoilers, so I'll try to hide my answers as well *sigh*

1 hour ago, Shakx88 said:

There are some nuances in the new quest which I kinda want to point out (maybe something of this sort has been mentioned already).

Yes, has been, more than once.

Spoiler

1) It's somewhat strange that you can't fight the guards. What I mean is, the moment you walk into the store, there is nothing stopping you character (assuming they are powerful enough) from killing the guards. I think it'd be better if you were shackled the moment you walked into the store 'by surprise'.

But you are. Unfortunately the Iron Prisoner Chain needs (as far as I'm aware of) three free slots: Collar, wrist irons, and leg irons. If only one of these slots is occupied, they won't equip. It's the same in Blending In - in my last playthrough I was too lazy (and too poor) to get rid of my High Security restraints, so I had to pretend that I was in chains. They were marked as equipped in my inventory, though.

@Laura 'Lokomootje' - as some people haven't been shackled as intended, maybe you could add a popup-box upon entering the shop?

"As you enter the shop, someone grabs you from behind and puts you into heavy chains." or something like that.

I have no idea if it's even possible to check via script if the Prisoner Chains have been equipped correctly, and if not have some fallback like simple wrist restraints. The behaviour of those chains would make no sense in real life - if you're already wearing a collar - fine, attach the chain. You're already wearing arm or leg cuffs? Add a lock, be my slave! ?

Spoiler

2) Another thing (which has to do with the might of PC again) is the fact that you can't just go and kill Sloane. A small army? Well, I'm a master in destruction with free spells, what in this world can stop me?

That has already been suggested, to meet Sloane on your terms, kill her and free the slaves. But that would be another quest, and we don't know what Laura is cooking up! ?

Edit:

PS: I was "Locked Away" the first time since v3.11 and I really love what you did at the end of that quest. Came as quite the surprise! ?

7 hours ago, Shakx88 said:

Hide contents

1) It's somewhat strange that you can't fight the guards. What I mean is, the moment you walk into the store, there is nothing stopping you character (assuming they are powerful enough) from killing the guards. I think it'd be better if you were shackled the moment you walked into the store 'by surprise'. Or contained in some other way. It make sense for you to not act later, when you see Laura is threatened (though not for all types of character).

So, my point is, it's a lame implementation when you character is just assumed to be incapable of fighting out of the situation. Pointing out the fact that you are taken by surprise or there are some things other than a powerful enemy stopping you would make it better.

Spoiler

I know that a lot of players could beat the guards. When it's just them vs the player, the player would kick their ass. But this is different.

They have Laura and Katarina surrounded and they can kill them when you make a move. And no matter how strong you are, you're still a paralysis spell away from getting your ass handed to you.

2 hours ago, SirGoodwin said:

so playing the new quest i got dynanne back home and returned to laura get shackled and when sloane says stand by the others the scene just hangs then. pls help

Try playing through it again. If it still stops there, please post the papyrus log.

By the way, are you using SE?

Version 3.21 is here!

This is a really small update, but it comes with a much needed fix that I wanted to release as quickly as possible.
You will (hopefully) no longer get stuck near the cage in Blending In. :)

With this fixed, I think the mod is now bug free. :D

But if you find anything, let me know.
No new game or anything required. Just overwrite it and go.

Change log for v3.21:

Fixed: [Blending In] The scene with Holden at the cage stopping is now fixed. If you did things in a certain way, another scene interfered with it. A scene can't run when an actor(character) is in another scene, so it just stopped working. It now stops the problematic scene.
It's finally fixed. :)
Huge thanks to @Derenriche for discovering it.

Changed: [Ghosts Of The Past] I changed some dialogue to make it clearer.
I still got too many reports of people getting stuck and I agree that it was vague. Especially when there's a language barrier involved.

Fixed: ITM records were removed.
Thanks to @worik for pointing it out.

1 hour ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

Version 3.21 is here!

This is a really small update, but it comes with a much needed fix that I wanted to release as quickly as possible.
You will (hopefully) no longer get stuck near the cage in Blending In. :)

But if you find anything, let me know.
No new game or anything required. Just overwrite it and go.

Change log for v3.21:

Fixed: [Blending In] The scene with Holden at the cage stopping is now fixed. If you did things in a certain way, another scene interfered with it. A scene can't run when an actor(character) is in another scene, so it just stopped working. It now stops the problematic scene.
It's finally fixed. :)
Huge thanks to @Derenriche for discovering it.

Changed: [Ghosts Of The Past] I changed some dialogue to make it clearer.
I still got too many reports of people getting stuck and I agree that it was vague. Especially when there's a language barrier involved.

Fixed: ITM records were removed.
Thanks to @worik for pointing it out.

I just finished all the quests and didn't encounter any problems so I will pass on this update and wait for the next.

I think we all know who this "perfect girl" is going to be (fnar fnar) so I hope the outcome will be interesting.

10 hours ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

I wrote this earlier in the DD beta thread:

Spoiler

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/69936-devious-devices-framework-developmentbeta/page/123/?tab=comments#comment-3150760

I'm finding a bad pattern with Laura's mod where she has scripts in several places that swap tight hobble or straightjacket gear with loose one (to be able to move faster). The tight one is removed always but the loose one is often left unequipped, it's just in the inventory. Only once so far did i see it work, it's unreliable.

So should there be an actual API function to properly swap item with another?

Cursed Loot rape also removed (and left removed) blindfold before sex but that's old DCL now and might not be relevant for a report. Worth checking on the new one.

Sadly Kimy didn't answer if it's a good idea or not. I assume if it's not a good idea then the thing leaves to be that swapping restraint A into B with current scripts should be changed somehow. It sometimes works, sometimes don't. You use swapping of tight/loose restraint often, at least once in the main quests even the very first one. Other is when you gather restraints and get a tight one and then ask to get it loose. Sometimes it doesn't even equip the second version.

Maybe this is just DD5 thing, i don't remember seeing this bug with older DD. Maybe this is 1 of those things that need to be dealt with the new API functions after DD5 really releases. She just never mentioned there being some actual ReplaceRestraint() or some function like that, we can always ask from DD team if that's what we need. UnEquip() & Equip() sequence could be prone to bugs and it could do events you don't want it to make, such as triggering SL-Disparity to notice that you just equipped a new item when you actually didn't.

As for is my save bloated for having script lag? I'm not sure. I started new game with DD5 and i was still level 1 when doing these quests.

22 hours ago, jigwigigx said:

I just finished all the quests and didn't encounter any problems so I will pass on this update and wait for the next.

The update is mostly for me. I want this mod to be as bugless as I can get it and that Blending In bug was bothering me for so long. :P 

22 hours ago, jigwigigx said:

I think we all know who this "perfect girl" is going to be (fnar fnar) so I hope the outcome will be interesting.

:)

13 hours ago, Zaflis said:

Sadly Kimy didn't answer if it's a good idea or not. I assume if it's not a good idea then the thing leaves to be that swapping restraint A into B with current scripts should be changed somehow. It sometimes works, sometimes don't. You use swapping of tight/loose restraint often, at least once in the main quests even the very first one. Other is when you gather restraints and get a tight one and then ask to get it loose. Sometimes it doesn't even equip the second version.

Maybe this is just DD5 thing, i don't remember seeing this bug with older DD. Maybe this is 1 of those things that need to be dealt with the new API functions after DD5 really releases. She just never mentioned there being some actual ReplaceRestraint() or some function like that, we can always ask from DD team if that's what we need. UnEquip() & Equip() sequence could be prone to bugs and it could do events you don't want it to make, such as triggering SL-Disparity to notice that you just equipped a new item when you actually didn't.

As for is my save bloated for having script lag? I'm not sure. I started new game with DD5 and i was still level 1 when doing these quests.

I don't see the problem with the current way of equipping things. Even if she adds a special script for replacing things, internally it'll work the same as those 2 lines I currently use.

The "loosened" restraint not getting equipped is a new one. It never popped up during testing and I think you're the first to report it. That's either a weird performance related bug or caused by DD5.

When DD5 comes out, I'll replace the old code with the new code. She said the new code is a lot faster, so that'll probably fix that bug because it sounds like a timing issue.

41 minutes ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

I don't see the problem with the current way of equipping things. Even if she adds a special script for replacing things, internally it'll work the same as those 2 lines I currently use.

But is it really the "correct" way to do it? Some others use delays between equips to make sure Skyrim keeps up. I see this in Laura_STC_QuestDeviceScript.psc : 718 is RestraintsRelax()

Spoiler

libs.RemoveDevice(libs.playerRef, Laura_ToughLeatherStraitjacketDressInventory, Laura_ToughLeatherStraitjacketDressRendered, libs.zad_DeviousSuit, destroyDevice=True, skipevents = false, skipmutex = true)
        libs.EquipDevice(libs.playerRef, Laura_ToughLeatherStraitjacketInventory, Laura_ToughLeatherStraitjacketRendered,  libs.zad_DeviousSuit, skipevents = false, skipmutex = true)

There could be a delay between them, and also on the RemoveDevice() should use skipevents = true for both lines? This could make it a little bit faster and make sure that other mods don't get notified that it changed. Although i'm not entirely sure of that part, heavy_bondage and straightjacket type keywords remain but hobble is taken out. There's not probably many mods that track these things, but this is optional.

I mean you might not need a delay when removing or adding pieces of restraints that have no conflicts with eachother, but if game still sees any traces of the old chest slot item it will refuse to wear the new one. So giving it time is good.

On 10/2/2020 at 7:16 PM, jigwigigx said:

:classic_blush: I'm much mora a fan of the perfect girl being a myth.

Spoiler

And the search for her to be like the quest for the holy grail: neverending :classic_biggrin:

But many people believing in it and devoting their life to it.

And since they believe in it, no obstacle, no misfortune, no disappointment, no false path will stop them.

16 hours ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

When DD5 comes out, I'll replace the old code with the new code. She said the new code is a lot faster, so that'll probably fix that bug because it sounds like a timing issue.

It might be best to talk directly with Kimy about it, but DD5 currently is quite a solid and stable version (at least when old items that already existed in previous versions are concerned). If the beta is going to take another long while before first release, it might be worth considering upgrading the dependency to it even before it is "officially" out.

12 minutes ago, thedarkone1234 said:

It might be best to talk directly with Kimy about it, but DD5 currently is quite a solid and stable version (at least when old items that already existed in previous versions are concerned). If the beta is going to take another long while before first release, it might be worth considering upgrading the dependency to it even before it is "officially" out.

Why would you want to do that? This mod runs stable with dependencies on the current DDx 4.3a version.

I understand that Laura's Shop should be updated when DD5 is officially released, and that the real Laura might want to talk to Kimy and prepare her mod to comply with the new frameset. But not a single day earlier, and keeping the current 4.21 (then old) version unsupported, but still for download for all of us who don't want to bother. I expect the DDx 4.3 framework to be still in use for years to come.

18 hours ago, Zaflis said:

But is it really the "correct" way to do it? Some others use delays between equips to make sure Skyrim keeps up. I see this in Laura_STC_QuestDeviceScript.psc : 718 is RestraintsRelax()

Reveal hidden contents

libs.RemoveDevice(libs.playerRef, Laura_ToughLeatherStraitjacketDressInventory, Laura_ToughLeatherStraitjacketDressRendered, libs.zad_DeviousSuit, destroyDevice=True, skipevents = false, skipmutex = true)
        libs.EquipDevice(libs.playerRef, Laura_ToughLeatherStraitjacketInventory, Laura_ToughLeatherStraitjacketRendered,  libs.zad_DeviousSuit, skipevents = false, skipmutex = true)

There could be a delay between them, and also on the RemoveDevice() should use skipevents = true for both lines? This could make it a little bit faster and make sure that other mods don't get notified that it changed. Although i'm not entirely sure of that part, heavy_bondage and straightjacket type keywords remain but hobble is taken out. There's not probably many mods that track these things, but this is optional.

I mean you might not need a delay when removing or adding pieces of restraints that have no conflicts with eachother, but if game still sees any traces of the old chest slot item it will refuse to wear the new one. So giving it time is good.

Like I said it was thoroughly tested. There's nothing wrong with how it works now. There are delays in other functions but it wasn't needed there. And if I remember correctly, setting skipevents to false broke things.

1 hour ago, thedarkone1234 said:

No need to update it to DD5 while it's still in beta. DD5 will be backwards compatible so I can just update it after it comes out.

On 10/2/2020 at 8:52 AM, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I know that a lot of players could beat the guards. When it's just them vs the player, the player would kick their ass. But this is different.

They have Laura and Katarina surrounded and they can kill them when you make a move. And no matter how strong you are, you're still a paralysis spell away from getting your ass handed to you.

Try playing through it again. If it still stops there, please post the papyrus log.

By the way, are you using SE?

I had the same issue, and I was running the September version on SSE. I accidentally managed to fix it by going in, using tc, then loading a previous save. I don't know how it worked, but the scene went smoothly as soon as I loaded an autosave after entering the shop. 

I think also messed up the quoting on this post, sorry. My first LL post.

On 10/1/2020 at 8:49 PM, Shakx88 said:

Hide contents

Threat of execution worked on Katarina, and it would take time to cut through guards and Sloane, or time to charge up spells and then the possibility of catching them in the blast area. You might win the fight, but there is a very low chance, with Katarina and Laura shackled already, that they would be able to escape being killed while you were mowing down anything between you and them.

Is there an SSE Vers of 3.21 please? I do not see it in Download section. 

This is an amazing mod. I just wish the Captured Dreams had not been abandoned, would have made a nice tie in together. 

Also I noticed the quest that sends you to the mine with Katerina, if you try to take it after you leave the shop after the Jade quest. Laura just stands at the counter saying "Welcome" over and over and does not move to the "Go stand before the counter" part to get ready for the quest. 

2 hours ago, kohlteth said:

Is there an SSE Vers of 3.21 please? I do not see it in Download section. 

This is an amazing mod. I just wish the Captured Dreams had not been abandoned, would have made a nice tie in together. 

Also I noticed the quest that sends you to the mine with Katerina, if you try to take it after you leave the shop after the Jade quest. Laura just stands at the counter saying "Welcome" over and over and does not move to the "Go stand before the counter" part to get ready for the quest. 

You need only replace SE's scripts files with LE's one

On 9/12/2020 at 10:17 AM, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

What gift do you mean?

I've seen that happen a few times I think. I'll take a look.

NPCs are also sometimes problematic with regular DD items, so I won't place them in DDC stuff for long. I won't add it if something's broken. Don't worry.

@Laura 'Lokomootje'  When you return from Seeking the Curse, if you had Laura take off what you had on beforehand (she holds it for you), she puts your stuff back on, but sometimes she says she has a gift, that gift, if you had something in that slot, you don't get it back, you get her gift instead.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:05 AM, Zaflis said:

Sure we can wait for DCL's example to see some of DDC's potential, however it's premature to compare DDC to ZAP furnitures. They're completely different. None of ZAP's bugs will "obviously" transfer to DDC as well.

@Zaflis I'll say this right now, it isn't ZAP, DDC, or any other furniture maker's fault, so don't blame them.  The "bug" I'm talking about is the "T" pose that happens later on, as in this scenario:

A. On "Monday", you locked someone in a X furniture, that was added to a tavern in Whiterun (take your pick, doesn't matter).

B.  You ran off and did 4 days worth of spelunking.

C.  You returned to said Whiterun tavern on "Friday" (can be any default game location), only to find the person is not in the X furniture.

D.  You find the person you locked wandering around in town in a "T" pose, not animating and you can't activate them.

Why does this happen?  Simple, Skyrim does what is called a Cell Reset, various cells that offer a reset, reset the actors (not 100%) and the one thing that the reset doesn't touch is the actor's AI (enabled or not).  This is where the problem lies and there isn't anyway to fix it (well, there is, but it's stupid to do so), it isn't the fault of any mod author's work, it is simply a bad situation caused by the engine.  The person you locked now wandering around and doing things in a "T" pose, will still have their AI disabled due to being locked into X furniture.  The AI disabling stops the actor from leaving the furniture, but the cell reset resets their AI package but not their AI state, pushing them back to their normal routine, normal outfit, etc.  The only way to make an actor stay *in* furniture is to disable their AI state (for the player, Restrained works).  So to make it simple, the game isn't built for what these pieces of furniture is doing, but, if you disable game-wide cell resets (not wise), all sorts of chaos will ensue.  So if you plan to lock anyone into any furnture, do it in a location you know, nothing resets and the issue won't happen.

@Laura 'Lokomootje' In the pre 3.2 version, I ran into a partial issue with Seeking the Curse, the restraints went to 3 locations, the first 2 were identical and the last wasn't.  Upon getting the first location (which was also the second), there were two marked chests, picked the closest to the door I found and it worked, but it marked the first location as found, picked the second chest, it said I found it, but the quest marker for the first one was still showing the first chest, the second one vanished.  In the quest, the markers were backwards, showing the first one found and the second one not.  I was able to complete it fine, but the second marker was still showing, so it may be I found them in the wrong order (not hard to do when they're both in the same room), but the marker still said it had to be finished and the return trip to the shop, listed 6 copies of "I found them..." on the tooltip for the location.

GuruSR.

14 minutes ago, GuruSR said:

@Laura 'Lokomootje'  When you return from Seeking the Curse, if you had Laura take off what you had on beforehand (she holds it for you), she puts your stuff back on, but sometimes she says she has a gift, that gift, if you had something in that slot, you don't get it back, you get her gift instead.

She doesn't randomly give you a gift. She will give you your stuff back, but there is no gift.

14 minutes ago, GuruSR said:

@Laura 'Lokomootje' In the pre 3.2 version, I ran into a partial issue with Seeking the Curse, the restraints went to 3 locations, the first 2 were identical and the last wasn't.  Upon getting the first location (which was also the second), there were two marked chests, picked the closest to the door I found and it worked, but it marked the first location as found, picked the second chest, it said I found it, but the quest marker for the first one was still showing the first chest, the second one vanished.  In the quest, the markers were backwards, showing the first one found and the second one not.  I was able to complete it fine, but the second marker was still showing, so it may be I found them in the wrong order (not hard to do when they're both in the same room), but the marker still said it had to be finished and the return trip to the shop, listed 6 copies of "I found them..." on the tooltip for the location.

GuruSR.

That's not supposed to happen. There is no wrong order and the marker is pointing to the bag itself and not the chest. I don't see how this could happen.

Does this happen often?

Spoiler

I'm on 3.20 the latest I can find for SE vers and it still hangs on the Sloane encounter, I enter, then see the guards and Sloane and Kat and Laura in chains, but then nothing. and no way to get it to not. I even tried the old trick from Captured Dreams of disable, reenable player control and idles , advancing time, all to no avail, would be a shame to not finish this quest but i cannot get the scene to play. 

Any help would be good please?

EDIT - I did it!! finally after much fudging with the CD enable and disable and finally finding the right spot to actually be in to trigger it.. YAY !!