Devious Devices - Laura's Bondage Shop (11-dec-2023) V3.43

15 minutes ago, xyzxyz said:

You're always the dragonborn. In vanilla you start as prisoner that's not very heroic either^^ . Cursed loot and DDs in generell are like a balancing factor for the DBs power in my game for me or in case of willingly bound just kinky playing around.

There are plenty of people that don't have shouts unlocked and you're never forced to fight in my quests. There's always a choice to sneak or pickpocket your way out of things. So the player isn't always a badass.

But I'm really starting to like the idea of the player going: "I'm the dragonborn. Let me handle this."

1 minute ago, merManc said:

I got curious and couldn't resist having a quick go.

With TES5Edit I copied (as new records into a new esp) the rendered and inventory armour records for the standard black leather straitjacket to create a new device, linked them together, and added slot 33 to the rendered record (which - like the rest of the straitjackets in DDx - only has slot 32 set.) I left the AA unchanged; my rendered record still links to the one in DDx. Then I went and grabbed everyone's favourite burden-carrier for testing purposes:

Reveal hidden contents

Original DDx straitjacket

? ☹️

1944618509_ddxjacket.jpg.5344ba1a8b64686a0df305283715a635.jpg

Test straitjacket

? ?

2112851488_testjacket.jpg.acb5538a00fa3ffb60cbb2dba6d905b7.jpg

Lydia's reaction at being my test subject

? ?

unimpressed.jpg.2de512226f773c4225a663ec1b5a5ab6.jpg

Well, it would have been her reaction. If she'd still had hands.

So, possibly promising there. Adding slot 33 to the rendered record for a straitjacket might prevent floating NPC hands. It only took a couple of minutes to put the esp together, and I'd be happy to upload it if you'd like to take a look. Perhaps @Kimy might want to see the results in case it could be applied to the original DDx jackets? (Or perhaps there's a good reason this hasn't been implemented already.)

If it does pass more thorough testing it could allow for Kata in a jacket if that's something you'd like to do at some point. Though, of course, that's entirely up to you. Lydia and I had fun testing it either way!

That's a cool find. You should post that in the DD thread. Maybe she can use it.

8 minutes ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

There are plenty of people that don't have shouts unlocked and you're never forced to fight in my quests. There's always a choice to sneak or pickpocket your way out of things. So the player isn't always a badass.

But I'm really starting to like the idea of the player going: "I'm the dragonborn. Let me handle this."

You have to fight when you search new DDS in dungeons (side quest) and when you are looking for Sirgen in the bandit camp. No way to sneak through that one ^^

54 minutes ago, xyzxyz said:

You have to fight when you search new DDS in dungeons (side quest) and when you are looking for Sirgen in the bandit camp. No way to sneak through that one ^^

I sneaked through them during testing to save time. I did use invisibilty, but it's not that hard to come by. And even if you do get spotted, you can always hide. I never force the player to fight.

About the enemies in STC, I think you can also pickpocket it from them.

25 minutes ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

I'm not even sure if I'm any good at voice acting.

That's probably the easiest part. But for a mod, some very good audio equipment is needed. Or else, it sounds like you speak from a 90's phone booth while your character is in the middle of Solitude. :classic_sad:

You can tell with the above Vilja example which dialogues were recorded earlier and which ones later, when Emma got herself some high end stuff.

Now, in the Covid-days I tend to listen to a lot of podcasts and you have the same issues there. :classic_unsure: That's about 200€ just for a good microphone and a pop filter ..

...hey, can I make a dumb suggestion? Its an idea I had that could be completely stand alone, part of LBS, or stand-alone with an optional LBS tie-in.

Devious Courier.

You have a hollow plug. Messages or small items are placed inside, the plug is stuffed in the courier, and it's used to smuggle/privately ship them across Skyrim. Messages are small plugs, small contraband (i.e. bootleg skooma or payment for ill deeds) are large plugs.

I was thinking maybe I could try to something together independently...perhaps Laura could use it as a task for her friend (the player)?

(If this is the wrong place for spitballing the idea let me know)

1 hour ago, HexBolt8 said:

Adding to the list of challenges for voice acting, unless it's very well done it can be worse than no voice.  I've tried some highly rated mods with voiced custom dialog that actually detracted from the experience.  Sometimes voices are simply too soft.  Others might be over-acted, so it sounds like the character is performing in a high school play.  Others are almost monotone.  And some voices just don't fit the character.  That's sad, because someone went to a lot of effort to add voiced dialog that ended up reducing the overall quality.

Darn. Yes, you are right. I've sat at the mixer console at church from time to time, and the usage of a microphone seems to be one of the things that look simple, but are really challenging. Some swallow the mike and shout like being on the fish market, others hold it at crotch level and mumble incomprehensively. The ones that are able to use it sensibly are a rare breed.

8 minutes ago, supercats said:

...hey, can I make a dumb suggestion? Its an idea I had that could be completely stand alone, part of LBS, or stand-alone with an optional LBS tie-in.

Devious Courier.

You have a hollow plug. Messages or small items are placed inside, the plug is stuffed in the courier, and it's used to smuggle/privately ship them across Skyrim. Messages are small plugs, small contraband (i.e. bootleg skooma or payment for ill deeds) are large plugs.

I was thinking maybe I could try to something together independently...perhaps Laura could use it as a task for her friend (the player)?

(If this is the wrong place for spitballing the idea let me know)

I'm not a fan of plugs and it would be too similar to the delivery quest On The Clock.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

4 minutes ago, CaptainJ03 said:

Darn. Yes, you are right. I've sat at the mixer console at church from time to time, and the usage of a microphone seems to be one of the things that look simple, but are really challenging. Some swallow the mike and shout like being on the fish market, others hold it at crotch level and mumble incomprehensively. The ones that are able to use it sensibly are a rare breed.

Having to mix and balance the audio would be a nightmare. It already takes a long time to make an update, but it would probably take atleast 2 times longer with VA.

5 minutes ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

No problem. Just don't hold back when you have another idea. :)

Well, I have one, but it's a bit cumbersome... A waist pillory. Instead of head and hands, the pillory goes around the hips/waist, letting the pooh-style pose be what locks them in. That way there can be a struggle to try and squeeze the ass or breasts through the hole.

9 minutes ago, supercats said:

Well, I have one, but it's a bit cumbersome... A waist pillory. Instead of head and hands, the pillory goes around the hips/waist, letting the pooh-style pose be what locks them in. That way there can be a struggle to try and squeeze the ass or breasts through the hole.

That's something for DD contraptions. I just make quests and stuff. :)

1 hour ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

If you go that route please consider making it entirely optional, Maybe even have that dialogue option not appear unless you've visited the Greybeards or after you've retrieved the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller and named Dragonborn.

28 minutes ago, supercats said:

...quest idea, one of Laura's gear-testers never came back and you have to go find her; she tripped from her gear and is stuck in

A rescue mission :classic_smile: I like that!

Especiall if it ends with "Only Swine can help us to open the now-broken devious gear" .. I could imagine a wide variety of scenes for the final outcome.

1 hour ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

Having to mix and balance the audio would be a nightmare. It already takes a long time to make an update, but it would probably take atleast 2 times longer with VA.

One of the best suggestions I ever saw was to record the voiceover only after all dialogues are final and finished. Imagine what an absolute nightmare would've been to revoice the previous quests you expanded with extra dialogues or just the corrections added anywhere else.

2 hours ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

I sneaked through them during testing to save time. I did use invisibilty, but it's not that hard to come by. And even if you do get spotted, you can always hide. I never force the player to fight.

About the enemies in STC, I think you can also pickpocket it from them.

Quests which allow different solutions that fighting are generally more enjoyable.  Allowing violence to solve an issue is generally useful for finishing quests quickly, but not necessarily the most enjoyably.  Skyrim has tons of quests that require fighting already, so to me the Deus Ex model works the best -- multiple ways to move forward.

For example, the "Blending In" quest was quite good even during a replay when the solution has already been figured out.

For this quest, I fast traveled to the Archer's Perch location above the mine and just snipped all of the bandits at the front of the mine from there.  But it would also have been trivial to drop down from the perch and slip into the mine.  With a focus on sneak and invis getting in a out would have been quite doable.

When I did this quest I was kind of hoping to be able to jailbreak her instead of just meeting her at the falls.  But the Falkreath dungeon isn't the most ideal for a jailbreak.  Riften works the best since the escape route actually goes outside the city.

Chloe in Helgen is added by this latest update, right?

If so, I am having an issue with the quest. Quest marker is pointing to a pile of ashes, interacting with it teleports me, but the quest stage and marker location remain on the ash pile. Now I have no idea what to do or where to go to advance the quest.

EDIT: never mind. Somehow I missed the one corpse that had the quest object on it. It got hidden under a spider during combat and I didn't see it until the spider corpse glitched out and flung itself across the room.

8 minutes ago, CanoLathra said:

Chloe in Helgen is added by this latest update, right?

If so, I am having an issue with the quest. Quest marker is pointing to a pile of ashes, interacting with it teleports me, but the quest stage and marker location remain on the ash pile. Now I have no idea what to do or where to go to advance the quest.

EDIT: never mind. Somehow I missed the one corpse that had the quest object on it. It got hidden under a spider during combat and I didn't see it until the spider corpse glitched out and flung itself across the room.

Chloe is from DCL, not this mod.

Thoughts on the 3.2 update: first and foremost it’s great to see new content in what’s become my favorite mod.

I reset the mod and played through the story quest from the beginning. I can’t say I noticed a lot of changes aside from the really obvious hint to not go too far into the one dungeon.

Some new content thoughts under the spoiler:

Spoiler

In Ghosts of the Past I felt a bit lost after clearing out the mine. If it weren’t for the fact that the guards’ greets were unvoiced I wouldn’t have thought to talk to them at all. Once I did I had some trouble finding the Falkreath jail despite having played this game since shortly after its release. I just don’t spend much time in Falkreath on a regular basis. Once I did find the jail it took me a fair bit of time to realize I needed to examine the rags on the floor. I think once you speak to the guards it should put a quest marker on the rags, and it wouldn’t hurt to put a quest marker by the waterfall at the appropriate point, maybe after talking to a guard hovering over the rags or something.

I almost missed the start of the dialogue back at the shop at the end of the quest. I think a force-greet dialogue at the start of this segment at least would be welcome. I find the mod’s reliance on non-dialogue conversation to be a bit frustrating at times because it’s not possible to control the pace of the dialogue and it’s sometimes hard to tell when the conversation has ended.

9 hours ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

Voicing Laura would be fun, but I'm not a native speaker so I'm worried about my accent.

I'd be willing to bet your accent would be perfect for Laura! It would add a wonderful dimension.

But voicing the whole thing would be very difficult like you said. 

Maybe from now on I'll read Laura's dialogue (in my head) with an accent. ? Dutch?