Devious Devices - Laura's Bondage Shop (11-dec-2023) V3.43

Trying out the new story quest and it reminded me of something that have felt a bit lacking in these quests.  I don't know if there are limits your working around or trying to keep things short for translators, but I feel the dialog tends to be overly short.

Minor spoilers

Spoiler

For instance the guard seems very unconcerned about a murder, particularly to someone he was responsible for.  Another line of two about the guard knowing how bad the guy was and not being terribly upset about it?

Back at the shop, she is waiting for you to arrive before giving her speech, but it has nothing about you so why wait?  Maybe mentioning that along with the new requirements she considers all *three* of us as the forfeit?

Is the private army new?  Was not a problem for killing the husband.

Not sure if anybody else has been seeing this, but in the "go into cave pretend to be slave to look at ledger" quest (my mind is like a sieve sometimes, sorry), there seems to be a few new bugs, at least ones I haven't seen before:

- When talking to ... 25? 27? ... the one who distracts the guard by the ledger, her pathfinding is buggy, and she seems to get stuck between the big, central cage and the smaller cages off to the side, walking back-and-forth in the way that Skyrim NPCs LOVE to do. Sprint-nudging her towards her target fixes the issue

more seriously in the scene with Holden, (when he puts you in the cage after you've read the ledger) you can get stuck in several different ways:

- If you stand on the sloped part leading up to the cage you won't walk far enough back out to hit the trigger.

- If you are out in the middle of the "room", but more towards the back-of-the-cage direction(will try quest again and update with compass once I'm able) southwest than the trigger point, you'll simply stand still and wait forever.

-Finally, I'm not sure what exactly causes it, but when Holden ask you to sex him while you're standing in front of the cage, the cage door opens, he gives you the response, sexytimes follow where appropriate, but then he just walks off and gives you the greeting of "I see someone removed your blindfold" (blah blah really like you), returning to his previous patrol route and leaving you, once again, stuck in place forever.

13 hours ago, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

I didn't want it to get too bloated and I don't really like piercings and plugs so I didn't add them. I'm worried that it gets too laggy or even crashes when there are too many in her inventory.

I see, i have a suggestion, how about you add an extra npc who can just sell those Devices? For example, This Mod Apachii Divine Elegance Store , Has a lot of items to sell but the author splits them into 3 Different NPCs in the same shop, so what do you think?

Great.  I literally played through "What she deserves" and the following two quests last night.  Is it worth trying to play through it again with the new changes, or is it better to just continue on?  I don't have a save that far back of course, but am I missing out on much with the changes you made to What She Deserves?  I guess what I'm really asking is if the changes were more story oriented or more like readability.  I guess I could try to open the mod in creation kit to read the new version of the dialogues (not that I have used CK anytime in the last few years) because playing it again would require a new game or using the console to reset 3 quests (I did What she deserves, then the one where you go to the slavers for the ledger, and then the first rescue quest)

5 hours ago, greykitty said:

Is it worth trying to play through it again with the new changes, or is it better to just continue on?  I don't have a save that far back of course, but am I missing out on much with the changes you made to What She Deserves?  I guess what I'm really asking is if the changes were more story oriented or more like readability. 

The differences to What She Deserves are largely related to scene flow and dialogue cleanup. There aren't any new revelations to the story if that's what you're asking about. If you've just played through it, then there's probably no need to go through it again after this update, but the new changes do make the experience much smoother.

v3.20...  Wow! ..  You had me on the edge of my seat..  Excellent work.. The pace seemed a little slow to start but it was perfect for the later stages.. 

Spoiler

I was totally surprised! Lulled into it by a simple run around quest haha..  Great addition, the build up was perfect.

You can feel rightfully proud over this update. Just like the others it adds a new dimension to the story.  And I thoroughly enjoyed playing through the early story again.. 

29 minutes ago, SiegfreidZ said:

The differences to What She Deserves are largely related to scene flow and dialogue cleanup. There aren't any new revelations to the story if that's what you're asking about. If you've just played through it, then there's probably no need to go through it again after this update, but the new changes do make the experience much smoother.

Thanks.  Thats exactly what I needed to know.

18 hours ago, KombatWombat47 said:

Just want to say that I love your work and hope you keep doing what you do, cheers.

:blush:

17 hours ago, r5e4w3q2 said:

Trying out the new story quest and it reminded me of something that have felt a bit lacking in these quests.  I don't know if there are limits your working around or trying to keep things short for translators, but I feel the dialog tends to be overly short.

Minor spoilers

Hide contents

For instance the guard seems very unconcerned about a murder, particularly to someone he was responsible for.  Another line of two about the guard knowing how bad the guy was and not being terribly upset about it?

Back at the shop, she is waiting for you to arrive before giving her speech, but it has nothing about you so why wait?  Maybe mentioning that along with the new requirements she considers all *three* of us as the forfeit?

Is the private army new?  Was not a problem for killing the husband.

When I start working on a quest the dialogue is always too long and descriptive. So I remove a lot of stuff that won't be missed. I do that because I don't want to let characters say exactly what they feel or want. I think it's much more fun when the player figures that out themselves. People IRL really rarely fully open up and go into detail, so I also think it's more realistic this way.

How would you have written the guard dialogue?

16 hours ago, darktej said:

hi @Laura 'Lokomootje' congrats on the update. liked the new quest. and the teaser?! great work to you and your testers.

Thank you. :blush:

15 hours ago, Viri1 said:

Alright, a short and sweet quest, with a hell of a teaser, now I'm really looking forward to more! Might also repeat the whole questline to see exactly what changed.

Glad you liked it. :blush:

More is on the way. I don't know when, but I prepared and planned a lot of the future story quests already.

12 hours ago, LAXL02 said:

Not sure if anybody else has been seeing this, but in the "go into cave pretend to be slave to look at ledger" quest (my mind is like a sieve sometimes, sorry), there seems to be a few new bugs, at least ones I haven't seen before:

- When talking to ... 25? 27? ... the one who distracts the guard by the ledger, her pathfinding is buggy, and she seems to get stuck between the big, central cage and the smaller cages off to the side, walking back-and-forth in the way that Skyrim NPCs LOVE to do. Sprint-nudging her towards her target fixes the issue

more seriously in the scene with Holden, (when he puts you in the cage after you've read the ledger) you can get stuck in several different ways:

- If you stand on the sloped part leading up to the cage you won't walk far enough back out to hit the trigger.

- If you are out in the middle of the "room", but more towards the back-of-the-cage direction(will try quest again and update with compass once I'm able) southwest than the trigger point, you'll simply stand still and wait forever.

-Finally, I'm not sure what exactly causes it, but when Holden ask you to sex him while you're standing in front of the cage, the cage door opens, he gives you the response, sexytimes follow where appropriate, but then he just walks off and gives you the greeting of "I see someone removed your blindfold" (blah blah really like you), returning to his previous patrol route and leaving you, once again, stuck in place forever.

I like how that quest turned out, but it relies too much on Skyrim super bad pathing system. I spent about 4 days on the navmesh and this is the best I could get it. I've seen Delphine run into walls so many times that I just accepted that it's crap. :P

But I'll take another look at it.

About you getting stuck in the Holden scene, we still don't know what causes that. It's not reproducable so it's really difficult to troubleshoot.

10 hours ago, Selena Glazer said:

I see, i have a suggestion, how about you add an extra npc who can just sell those Devices? For example, This Mod Apachii Divine Elegance Store , Has a lot of items to sell but the author splits them into 3 Different NPCs in the same shop, so what do you think?

Don't think another npc is a good option, but I'll add 'put more stuff for sale' in my notes. :)

9 hours ago, greykitty said:

Great.  I literally played through "What she deserves" and the following two quests last night.  Is it worth trying to play through it again with the new changes, or is it better to just continue on?  I don't have a save that far back of course, but am I missing out on much with the changes you made to What She Deserves?  I guess what I'm really asking is if the changes were more story oriented or more like readability.  I guess I could try to open the mod in creation kit to read the new version of the dialogues (not that I have used CK anytime in the last few years) because playing it again would require a new game or using the console to reset 3 quests (I did What she deserves, then the one where you go to the slavers for the ledger, and then the first rescue quest)

There aren't any huge new revelations, but I think it's worth checking out. There are a few more info snippets in there if you're interested.

8 hours ago, yzh19960216 said:

I do not want to push Laura, but the story is pretty good that I can not wait to see the next quest. It took about 3 hours on the storyline. 

Good to hear that you liked it.

Don't worry about pushing me too much. :)

6 hours ago, monsta88 said:

Welcome back!

Thank you. :D

3 hours ago, steelmagpie said:

v3.20...  Wow! ..  You had me on the edge of my seat..  Excellent work.. The pace seemed a little slow to start but it was perfect for the later stages.. 

Reveal hidden contents

I was totally surprised! Lulled into it by a simple run around quest haha..  Great addition, the build up was perfect.

You can feel rightfully proud over this update. Just like the others it adds a new dimension to the story.  And I thoroughly enjoyed playing through the early story again.. 

You're too kind. :blush:

Really good to hear that it has the effect I wanted. :)

Yeah, the build-up was perfect. I was almost disappointed it was "just" a flavor quest that didn't include anything kinky, then I walked back into the shop at the end and just went "Oh shit". Really great work. I also liked the touch of "giving" them the chains, heh. Should have included a dialogue option to let the player keep theirs on :P

also I still want to know if Katarina's ever going to try on that straitjacket

37 minutes ago, worik said:

:classic_smile: That's where we are happy to help out

:)

30 minutes ago, mrsupersecretpants said:

Yeah, the build-up was perfect. I was almost disappointed it was "just" a flavor quest that didn't include anything kinky, then I walked back into the shop at the end and just went "Oh shit". Really great work. I also liked the touch of "giving" them the chains, heh. Should have included a dialogue option to let the player keep theirs on :P

Thank you so much. That's what I was going for. :)

30 minutes ago, mrsupersecretpants said:

also I still want to know if Katarina's ever going to try on that straitjacket

I'll have to ruin that one for you. NPCs in straitjackets don't work. Their hands don't dissappear so you'll see floating hands at their sides.

If she tries something, it'll probably be an armbinder. ?

By the way, I also wanted the NPCs in Blending In to be in a straitjacket but that's when I found out it doesn't work. So I put them in chains and added the part about the player trying them on.