Windows 7 coming to an end .

Karen1965

8 minutes ago, Orpheaned said:

Normal, why would they continue to update Win 7, while the latest version of Win 10 works well ?

Because all previous versions didn't (there's been issues with some games like SC2, with some miscellaneous application, with the OS's updates itself), to the point Microsoft insisting on refurbishing it for free to replace a fully functional W7 felt suspicious. ?

1 hour ago, Orpheaned said:

Normal, why would they continue to update Win 7, while the latest version of Win 10 works well ?

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you, I prefer Win7!
try to play older games on Win10, impossible.
and because newer games are absolute garbage (Loot boxes, micro-transactions, etc), I will on new games, the need Win10, renounce! :classic_wink:

16 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

Agreed, which is why I still run Win7. I cannot be sure 99% of my games will run on Win10. (I have over 3K) Not that I play all of them.. I have been sticking to mostly LL-based games. :P

I bought a high end pc over 6500 euros and a monitor over 3000 euros with Win10.
This pc stands in a corner and will dusty, because most of my games do not work.
I love my old PC with Win7. ?

I had to install 10 back in march for proper support of my hardware but still prefer 7. I just wish there was at least and edition that is supposed to work efficently. Couple of years down the line and pc will be like like android. Wasting resources with no privacy while being functionally less than a 2009 os...

25 minutes ago, lordgdavid said:

I had to install 10 back in march for proper support of my hardware but still prefer 7. I just wish there was at least and edition that is supposed to work efficently. Couple of years down the line and pc will be like like android. Wasting resources with no privacy while being functionally less than a 2009 os...

Microsoft destroys knowledge, data (though only in the gaming industry) in seconds fast.
a game that was developed in 2000, took a lot of effort and cost a lot of money in development, is as safe as destroyed by Microsoft!
every new operating system is devastating and Microsoft does not care, the main thing money in the eyes. :classic_laugh:

giphy.gif

Good thread and maybe I can collect yor important oppinion:

I Need to step over to Windows 8 or win 10....

What do you prefer???..and why.....

I have to install a MOCAP-System and this hard-and Software parts need now 8 or 10....it´s not working sadly on win 7 (has to do with USB3 Speed)

I´d also buy a fully new Computer, Mainboard, suiting RAM/CPU and so on. I Need an INTEL usb-controller as well.

I used always ASUS so far.

And I do and will never / not use a touch-screen.

From the outlay I don´t like 8 and also not 10 (looks like toys.r.us)...I tested win8 on a tablet-after 2 mins I put it away.

I hope I can change their designs somehow to look more serious.

I still love Windows XP, for me it was the best thing MS made. Admit it that I run a Win 10 Dell for playing Skyrim and Fallout 4, but i already had a very bad experience with it and now Auto updates are disabled. Freaking update wrecked my laptop and even Support Assist from Dell could do a proper re-install from recovery. All i now know is MS has become MoreShitty.

6 minutes ago, t.ara said:

Good thread and maybe I can collect yor important oppinion:

I Need to step over to Windows 8 or win 10....

What do you prefer???..and why.....

I have to install a MOCAP-System and this hard-and Software parts need now 8 or 10....it´s not working sadly on win 7 (has to do with USB3 Speed)

I´d also buy a fully new Computer, Mainboard, suiting RAM/CPU and so on. I Need an INTEL usb-controller as well.

I used always ASUS so far.

And I do and will never / not use a touch-screen.

From the outlay I don´t like 8 and also not 10 (looks like toys.r.us)...I tested win8 on a tablet-after 2 mins I put it away.

I hope I can change their designs somehow to look more serious.

Go for 10, 8 was garbage. Think 8 was the only OS with the shortest life span.

One thing i like about 10, boot speed. Its really fast.

I'll stick with windows 7 just like I stayed with windows XP and completely bypassed that vista shit but generally anything they try to force onto their customers is going to be shit for 4 to 5 years till everyone fixes their shit and removes other crap and they are about to update to a new version then you can jump to the newest one as most of the shit should be gutted and fixed by then.

8 hours ago, Alkpaz said:

Try installing Win7 without a PS/2 port on your mobo. (most new mobos do not have a PS/2 port) Win7 does not natively detect USB 3.0+. 

Ex: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP6YZ6049

Sure but an update to fix that minor shortcoming should not really be all that hard. Then again they could not sell you a newer piece of shit O/S if they just fixed that last one. You see that is the crux of the problem new tech comes out and rather than retrofitting the existing O/S they just create a new one, reusing the old code then when shit gets F...ed the don't seem to notice and ship garbage.

7 hours ago, winny257 said:

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you, I prefer Win7!
try to play older games on Win10, impossible.
and because newer games are absolute garbage (Loot boxes, micro-transactions, etc), I will on new games, the need Win10, renounce! :classic_wink:

Ooooh I soooooo agree with that.

I'm dual booting Win7 and Linux Mint. Once Win7 goes EOL I'll carry on using it and just use Linux for online. As I keep the browser locked down tight and only visit a few sites I could probably get away with leaving Win7 online in any case but it's not worth the risk.

The recent state of broken patches makes me wonder though who we should fear more, malware writers or Microsoft themselves as they seem to be causing a lot more damage with their shoddy QA (not to mention spyware, adware and unwanted bloat in Win10)

I had an old laptop (an HP "desktop replacement" Pentium IV machine) running Windows XP. I found that I had slowly but surely stopped using it because newer stuff that I wanted to do wasn't supported on XP and the laptop itself could not support W7. So I bought a shiny new hybrid tablet/laptop (HP Spectre.)  Sadly, I couldn't get it with W7 so I reluctantly accepted the only OS available- W10. "How bad can it be?" I asked myself, "Even if Microsoft resorted to trickery and deception to try to force W10 onto my desktop for free..."

Well. I found out how bad it can be. As others have stated, the interface looks like it was designed by dyslexic toddlers on meth. All the cutesy gadgets are dysfunctional, and oh yeah, Microsoft won't let you get rid of them. Then there's "Cortana." You just can't kill her. Despite the fact that it's MY fucking computer that I PAID FOR, Microsoft is dictating that I must have Cortana despite the fact that I absolutely, positively, do not want or need Cortana.

Oh, and don't bother trying to use Firefox or any other browser on your W10 machine- you can do it, but then you will be bombarded by ads and nags about how much better Edge and Bing are than (whatever you prefer to use.) I couldn't believe it the first time I saw it- it spams ADS at me while I'm trying to play a game!

I could go on for hours, but here's the most telling part: I have not booted that machine in over 3 months. That's how bad it sucks. It was a total waste of money. I boot it up every 6 months or so and leave it to update since I have no control over that either and I do not want it to act as a malware vector into my home LAN. Then when it's finally through updating, I turn it back off for another 6 months. It is a great machine, totally neutered by its piece of shit Microsoft-controlled Operating System.

Some time in 2020 after W7 loses support, I'll probably see if I can still play my beloved SSE under some Linux distro. Unless something changes, Windows 10 will never set its spyware, adware-laden foot on my desktop machines.

3 hours ago, Tron91 said:

Go for 10, 8 was garbage. Think 8 was the only OS with the shortest life span.

One thing i like about 10, boot speed. Its really fast.

thanks-I´ll get my further info then:-)

will be a second (äh) 3rd computer-win 7 will stay untouched how it is now:-)..never change a running system:-)

:classic_biggrin:

14 minutes ago, ToJKa said:

And let me guess: you all still use Google, Chrome and iPhone ?

Don't know who this is directed at since you didn't bother quoting anyone. I don't have an iPhone, I use Firefox because Chrome is an open gateway for malware and other security issues and I use a private, encrypted search engine (StartPage) and a VPN (Nord.) So everything I do online is end-to-end encrypted and nobody has any record of what I search for.

So in case your sarcasm was directed at me, it was misplaced.

52 minutes ago, ToJKa said:

And let me guess: you all still use Google, Chrome and iPhone ?

I use Chrome, but I'm not scared of bad guys!
I have so many websites spit into the soup, because I can detect viruses and trace them back to their source.
are you visiting Tumblr?
This website uses advertising full of Trojans and phishing mails, good luck while surfing! ?

1 hour ago, Vyxenne said:

Don't know who this is directed at since you didn't bother quoting anyone.

Which means it was for the thread in general, as the "you all" might suggest.

Just saying you need to be "off the grid" to avoid these tactics today. But hey, they just want to show you commercials ?

Archived