[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

Thanks for making this mod. It goes almost too well with estrus spiders and has so much potential. One thing kind of stands out though. The pressure plates added in the vanilla game don't return any menu text when you hover the cursor over them. The ones added by TAP do so you can tell exactly what kind of trap it is. Plus once you spot them they are kind of easy to go around since the pressure plates aren't very big. I can't remember exactly but do the magical rune traps still trigger when you sneak through them with the perk to not trigger traps?

Magic runes are not really treated as traps so yes, they go off as you sneak onto them.

[...]

I do hope you make the DD items a menu option. I installed all the DD stuff again to try this out but I did the whole Devious Devices/Cursed Loot/Devious chests thing and it got to where I spent all my play time watching my character get abused instead of actually playing. Granted, you don't have it immobilizing the player and I had a chuckle when I heard the "clop clop clop" of  pony boots and turned to see my follower had somehow managed to get herself in a pair but I had to console in a key to get them off of her as I'm not sure you can get a key without doing the whole quest line to enable you to make one or have a mod that gives them as loot. (Maybe have a few keys drop when you make it rain treasure)

[...]

I actually set cursed loot with cheatengine to 0,1% chance (with 100 arousal 0,2%) so it triggers much more rarely.

For keys there are several mods that drop them or make them available. Cursed loot is one, DD FtM is another, and I think cursed loot does the thing where you can ask shopkeepers for help with a random outcome for which you can set the sliders in MCM, though I might misremember and it might be another mod. So you don't really have to do the original DD questline just for the keys, they are more a simplification / making getting a key easier than a requirement for keys. Captured Dreams also gives a way out of DD items.

Thanks for making this mod. It goes almost too well with estrus spiders and has so much potential. One thing kind of stands out though. The pressure plates added in the vanilla game don't return any menu text when you hover the cursor over them. The ones added by TAP do so you can tell exactly what kind of trap it is. Plus once you spot them they are kind of easy to go around since the pressure plates aren't very big. I can't remember exactly but do the magical rune traps still trigger when you sneak through them with the perk to not trigger traps?

I noticed too, but I assume they are currently there for debug purposes, same as Aela being visible and whatnot.

You can indeed go around them easily if you spot them - not sure what can be done about the normal pressure plate ones. Subliminal traps helps by making tripwires and rock pressureplates much less visible. Having mods to make interiors dark helps too, if you don't have much visibility even with a torch, you can stumble on them.

By the way, will there be tripwires as well, or are they trickier to place correctly?

[...]

I do hope you make the DD items a menu option. I installed all the DD stuff again to try this out but I did the whole Devious Devices/Cursed Loot/Devious chests thing and it got to where I spent all my play time watching my character get abused instead of actually playing. Granted, you don't have it immobilizing the player and I had a chuckle when I heard the "clop clop clop" of  pony boots and turned to see my follower had somehow managed to get herself in a pair but I had to console in a key to get them off of her as I'm not sure you can get a key without doing the whole quest line to enable you to make one or have a mod that gives them as loot. (Maybe have a few keys drop when you make it rain treasure)

[...]

I actually set cursed loot with cheatengine to 0,1% chance (with 100 arousal 0,2%) so it triggers much more rarely.

For keys there are several mods that drop them or make them available. Cursed loot is one, DD FtM is another, and I think cursed loot does the thing where you can ask shopkeepers for help with a random outcome for which you can set the sliders in MCM, though I might misremember and it might be another mod. So you don't really have to do the original DD questline just for the keys, they are more a simplification / making getting a key easier than a requirement for keys. Captured Dreams also gives a way out of DD items.

I noticed too, but I assume they are currently there for debug purposes, same as Aela being visible and whatnot.

You can indeed go around them easily if you spot them - not sure what can be done about the normal pressure plate ones. Subliminal traps helps by making tripwires and rock pressureplates much less visible. Having mods to make interiors dark helps too, if you don't have much visibility even with a torch, you can stumble on them.

By the way, will there be tripwires as well, or are they trickier to place correctly?

I quite like the way the metal plates are more visibile, I want you to spot some of the traps. I think this ramps up the tension as when you spot one you know that the area you are in has been trapped and there are probably more out there.

I haven't looked at trip wires yet....I'm not sure if they can be placed as easily as pressure plates. 

There will also be some custom traps such as trapped loot and other things :)

The one thing that bugs me right now is that I know the trapper is running ahead of me placing the traps which just kind of kills the buzz for me but also I don't want some traps like warewolf or some other thing that might trigger a DA event which may trigger a local SD event and what if the npc despawns like the traps wear off? I might start using estrus but dam that mod is buggy and I don't think it has been updated in a while either. I have seen other mods place things with a script in cells both in skyrim and fallout 4 most recently the chinese stealth suit mod runs a script when starting up for the first time placing the gear with a script in a certain location. Maybe you can get these things to be placed with a script only when the player enters the dungeon? When they leave the script just removes all the traps.

The one thing that bugs me right now is that I know the trapper is running ahead of me placing the traps which just kind of kills the buzz for me but also I don't want some traps like warewolf or some other thing that might trigger a DA event which may trigger a local SD event and what if the npc despawns like the traps wear off? I might start using estrus but dam that mod is buggy and I don't think it has been updated in a while either. I have seen other mods place things with a script in cells both in skyrim and fallout 4 most recently the chinese stealth suit mod runs a script when starting up for the first time placing the gear with a script in a certain location. Maybe you can get these things to be placed with a script only when the player enters the dungeon? When they leave the script just removes all the traps.

If only it was that easy!

To place something you must either know the exact position to place it via 3d co-ordinates, or be able to base the position off an already existing object. Placing something is easy, placing it in a sensible location is more tricky....placing a trap at random where the player is likely to walk through in any dungeon in Skyrim automatically...pretty much impossible without a trick or two.

Having an NPC run the dungeon laying traps is the only way I can think of to get random trap placement in sensible positions where the player will probably go in ANY dungeon. The emphasis here is on "random" and "any dungeon". 

The only other option is manual placement and that just isn't going to happen as the amount of work involved is extreme...plus, once you've run the dungeon with the new traps you'd now know where they were again.

I understand that knowing the trap layer is doing her stuff is kind of like peaking behind the curtain, but just forget about her....you soon won't even know she's there. All traps have to be set by someone, if not a devious bandit then it is the level designer themselves. :)

****UPDATE****

1. Mod will start up with the trap layer disabled. You will need to enable it from the MCM before traps will be laid. This should solve the issue with traps being laid straight away when using Live Another Life. You can also use this option to stop the trap layer from triggering if you want to take a break :)

2. The trap layer will only be triggered on a complete cell change. This means entering and exiting locations will no longer trigger the trap layer unless it is the 1st time you've entered that area in that particular play session. This should stop any traps being laid in dungeons which have already been populated with traps.

3. Trap layer is now silent and totally invisible...you should never see her!

4. Trap layer is physically smaller so hopefully they won't get stuck on geometry so much

5. Trap laying debug prompts should be all gone now.

6. Traps no longer have names so you won't be alerted to their presence by a text prompt and you won't know what they are if you do spot them.

Yeah, The trapper getting hung up was a problem, especially when I had a follower or two and the entrance was narrow. Sarthal in particular saw her stuck behind the line of college students and spawning mobs behind us. Too bad there is not a way to make her non-collidable with players/npcs while still colliding with geometry.

Not complaining though, really enjoying it so far.

just played around with 0.45,

and i like what i see, works way better than 0.3, and to my suprise you have now events implemented like in the mod deviously cursed chests (it dosent works on my load order anymore since DD updates but now i have traps =D) + the debuffs, awesome , i am so happy to see this kind of traps back in my game.

since 0.45 its a bit less scary but way more playable. i see pretty much all traps but still i run in some, cause there are so many and my dungeons are pretty dark (thats a good thing!^^)

lets see what more suprises are in store \o/

Removing the Debug prompts makes this alot more interesting now that you have no idea when it starts, along with making the traps and trapper harder to see. Hopefully you can add the MCM sliders for the devices, but either way great work!

is there a way to not use the werewolf, draugr, wolf, bandit, spider, etc traps?

I really like this mod for the devious device traps. but since I use combat realism they are all just a nucance and the werewolf just straight up kills me.

I'll see what I can do. Everything is stored in FormLists (or arrays by any other name) so it should be possible to add/remove as necessary but it may take a while before I can get to that point.

just played around with 0.45,

and i like what i see, works way better than 0.3, and to my suprise you have now events implemented like in the mod deviously cursed chests (it dosent works on my load order anymore since DD updates but now i have traps =D) + the debuffs, awesome , i am so happy to see this kind of traps back in my game.

since 0.45 its a bit less scary but way more playable. i see pretty much all traps but still i run in some, cause there are so many and my dungeons are pretty dark (thats a good thing!^^)

lets see what more suprises are in store \o/

If you're constantly seeing the traps then try installing Subliminal Traps - that mod makes the stone traps pretty much invisible :)

I just wanted to tell you that I love this mod. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, it's always nice to hear people are enjoying it :)

Not sure if it was mentioned before, as far as i can see from main page the bear traps aren't implemented yet? I ask because of the amputee framework and Delzarons mod for it, more (vanilla) bear traps which cut off body parts would be nice i think, so your mod and those could play nicely together. :)

If it isn't too much work, add some please  :heart:

No idea if your poisoned bear traps would work with the framework, maybe you can make it compatible. I any ways, thanks for your mods. :)

I have played a couple versions of this now, and I am very pleased to see it progressing nicely.  I like cursed loot very much, but it got too big and too hard on my already overloaded game. This mod is giving me the basic options that I actually used in DCL, but without stressing my game. Great work and I hope to see more!

Edit:

I did find one little thing. Nothing that would keep me from playing it, and not even sure if it's something with the mod, skyrim itself,  or just my game, but I get a few of the pressure plates that float. Not all, just a random few here and there.  If it's skyrim or my game, don't worry about it. Just thought I'd mention it.

post-754416-0-62557600-1485576477_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to stop playing a moment and thank you. I'm really enjoying along with FEMA. No more cruising through a dungeon.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it :

Not sure if it was mentioned before, as far as i can see from main page the bear traps aren't implemented yet? I ask because of the amputee framework and Delzarons mod for it, more (vanilla) bear traps which cut off body parts would be nice i think, so your mod and those could play nicely together. :)

If it isn't too much work, add some please  :heart:

No idea if your poisoned bear traps would work with the framework, maybe you can make it compatible. I any ways, thanks for your mods. :)

There are some bear traps in this mod that do various things, however i have no idea if they work with the amputation stuff. I will take a look at some point and see if they can be made compatiable.

I have played a couple versions of this now, and I am very pleased to see it progressing nicely.  I like cursed loot very much, but it got too big and too hard on my already overloaded game. This mod is giving me the basic options that I actually used in DCL, but without stressing my game. Great work and I hope to see more!

Edit:

I did find one little thing. Nothing that would keep me from playing it, and not even sure if it's something with the mod, skyrim itself,  or just my game, but I get a few of the pressure plates that float. Not all, just a random few here and there.  If it's skyrim or my game, don't worry about it. Just thought I'd mention it.

attachicon.gif20170127211657_1.jpg

Glad you're enjoying it :) The floating pressure plates do happen sometimes. It's more than likely a strange geometry thing and I don't think there is a physics system attached to pressure plates like there is with bear traps, so if for some reason they spawn slightly in the air then they don't drop to the ground. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about it....I might be able to force a height value when created instead of just creating it at the trap layers feet....I will certainly take a look at it and see.

Just wanted to stop playing a moment and thank you. I'm really enjoying along with FEMA. No more cruising through a dungeon.

I'll admit, I'm feeling slightly ignorant and really curious  now  .-.

what's FEMA?

I've played quite a few kinky mods but I have no idea what thats referring to .-.

I'll admit, I'm feeling slightly ignorant and really curious  now  .-.

what's FEMA?

I've played quite a few kinky mods but I have no idea what thats referring to .-.

typo, I meant

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/3516-failure-mode-effects-analysis-in-skyrim-fmea/

Does this support estrus chaurus+ mod too? The original estrus mod is really old and bad to use but the chaurus+ mod fixes some things with it.

It doesn't. The reason behind that is originally I was going to make use of the Estrus Stripping animation (which if you've never seen it is awesome). However, on further investigation it seemed that it didn't support using the player in that animation.

I shall take a look at redoing it for Estrus Chaurus mod as I have heard a few people saying that the original estrus has some issues, although it has always seemed stable to me., plus you also get impregnation too!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an idea I have been trying to infect other modders with it for a while but nobody has caught it yet...

Those soul gem traps that fire spells at the player or npcs look so naughty so under used by modders... could you change all of them somehow to have a chance to fire a special spell at the player that adds one devious device per hit to the player or any npc hit with it? After the max number of DD are equipped by this spell the next hit would trigger SD or SS mods or even DA mod outcomes. The spell would be somewhat slow firing and the projectile would be the paralysis effect maybe it wouldn't fly that fast so the player might avoid it like the ice projectile spells seem a little slower than fireball spells kinda like that. Not every dungeon has these things but for those that do it would become a much more devious dungeon:-)

Here is an idea I have been trying to infect other modders with it for a while but nobody has caught it yet...

Those soul gem traps that fire spells at the player or npcs look so naughty so under used by modders... could you change all of them somehow to have a chance to fire a special spell at the player that adds one devious device per hit to the player or any npc hit with it? After the max number of DD are equipped by this spell the next hit would trigger SD or SS mods or even DA mod outcomes. The spell would be somewhat slow firing and the projectile would be the paralysis effect maybe it wouldn't fly that fast so the player might avoid it like the ice projectile spells seem a little slower than fireball spells kinda like that. Not every dungeon has these things but for those that do it would become a much more devious dungeon:-)

That's a really good idea. I was going to try and put in the standard soul gem traps but never got round to it, but I like the idea of changing the spell to something more devious :) You could also have it where it strips the player piece by piece, I bet there's lots of things those types of traps could do!

There's actually a lot of vanilla traps that I still need to put in.