[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

My first lesson at the College of Winterhold was interrupted when the entire class was attacked by a horde of skeevers. It was unexpected, to say the least. ;)

Oh, and I find that the trap-layer is talkative, too. I frequently hear: "Ooh, a fight! This should be good!" I'm always turning around to see who said it.

Is there a way to set her to a race that doesn't have voice files or footstep sound effects? I could have sworn you could do that sort of thing back in Oblivion.

What version are you using? (Or was the npc not set to be silent yet? I believe you said it should be silent already, Jim.)

Are Dwemer ruins now untrappable?  In both Mzinchaleft and Alfland now, I've had the "not a trappable area, quitting out" message.  I have clearable areas but not forts set as trappable.

It was mentioned before, the default values for the tickable (forts and clearable areas) settings were wrongly set - untick them and tick them again, it will solve the problem.

What version are you using? (Or was the npc not set to be silent yet? I believe you said it should be silent already, Jim.)

I thought I was on the most recent version.

Of course, I'm assuming that this is the mod that's causing it. I can't be entirely certain that another mod hasn't created an invisible person who's following me around and making comments. Sounds silly enough, but I thought I'd read that Slaverun Reloaded had an skeever chasing you around...

I thought I was on the most recent version.

Of course, I'm assuming that this is the mod that's causing it. I can't be entirely certain that another mod hasn't created an invisible person who's following me around and making comments. Sounds silly enough, but I thought I'd read that Slaverun Reloaded had an skeever chasing you around...

Nah, it's likely this mod. I do remember sometimes hearing the trap layer saying something, though it's quite rare for me. I'm using 0.57 though. And not sure it was this version when i heard it talk.

I am on 0.65 alpha and it is the same thing for me, the trap layer is mad and out of control running everywhere :)

Jim you should restrain her a little bit, making her do yoga or something like that haha

Try a dungeon that has a layer of water over the floor. Freaked me out the first time to see something zipping through the water like that. :lol:

And I checked: I'm using 0.65 alpha.

Are Dwemer ruins now untrappable?  In both Mzinchaleft and Alfland now, I've had the "not a trappable area, quitting out" message.  I have clearable areas but not forts set as trappable.

It was mentioned before, the default values for the tickable (forts and clearable areas) settings were wrongly set - untick them and tick them again, it will solve the problem.

Oh, I missed that.  Sorry, and thanks very much.

Instead of trying to hide the trap layer you could turn her into a mischievous spirit instead.

Use the Wispmother race, as an example. The spirit could also be of someone who was

killed by a trap.

Of course, if you wanted to make a male trap layer, I'd be willing to record some spooky voice

files for him. I might even be able to pitch shift my voice up enough to sound like a female, and

if I added a ton of reverb probably nobody could tell the difference anyway :P

Of course, you could also have a girly man dressed as a woman, and then you would have a

trap-trap layer :rolleyes:

Try a dungeon that has a layer of water over the floor. Freaked me out the first time to see something zipping through the water like that. :lol:

Right, that happened to me too a few times, now that you mention it. :D She also ran in an opposing direction to me in a narrow corridor, and pushed me back to its beginning once. :D To puddle one is relatively frequent too, though i actually like it, it doesn't bother me.

Oh, I missed that.  Sorry, and thanks very much.

Np, and it's not like it's on the main page (though I think it should be), so it's easy to miss.

Is there some tool to reset clutter items to their default locations?

I keep walking into rooms, and there is a ka-boom and everything goes flying - which I think is related to this mod.

However, it occurs to me that if I'm leaving a trail of disrupted clutter/debris in my wake all across the world...that might have some issues with save bloat.

It might not of course, depending how saves are constructed.

I keep walking into rooms, and there is a ka-boom and everything goes flying - which I think is related to this mod.

However, it occurs to me that if I'm leaving a trail of disrupted clutter/debris in my wake all across the world...that might have some issues with save bloat.

My guess would be that saves are indeed badly constructed in that respect.

The console command should be "resetinterior <cellid>", took me like 1 second of googling "sykrim reset clutter". I believe you shouldn't use it while you're inside, but I'm not sure.

I assume they would reset on their own after a period of game time and/or unloading-loading the cell.

The console command should be "resetinterior <cellid>". I believe you shouldn't use it while you're inside, but I'm not sure.

I assume they would reset on their own after a period of game time and/or unloading-loading the cell.

Manually resetting it cell by cell isn't quite the solution I had in mind.

I also don't want to reset the cell per se, as I don't want to respawn monsters etc.

I was curious if there was a mod that automated the process (possibly even by just stopping you interacting with the clutter in the first place and turning it into static furniture) or a savegame editor with some form of 'tidy universe' function.

Of course, it's quite possible that the cells do naturally reset quickly enough that this isn't actually an issue in the first place.

The console command should be "resetinterior <cellid>". I believe you shouldn't use it while you're inside, but I'm not sure.

Manually resetting it cell by cell isn't quite the solution I had in mind.

I also don't want to reset the cell per se, as I don't want to respawn monsters etc.

I was curious if there was a mod that automated the process (possibly even by just stopping you interacting with the clutter in the first place and turning it into static furniture) or a savegame editor with some form of 'tidy universe' function.

Of course, it's quite possible that the cells do naturally reset quickly enough that this isn't actually an issue in the first place.

Oh, in that case, this tool's "Reset havok" button should do exactly that, though I haven't actually tested that.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363

Alternatively this one might do it as well: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31724

If it is indeed that though, it doesn't remove much save size, not sure what takes up so much in the saves.

I do need to refine the havok impulse so it doesn't effect everything. From what I understand with moved items is that they do reset after the cell is unloaded from memory so there shouldn't be too many issues with save games growing in size.

It is the same with the placement of the traps...they are not persistant. As soon as the cell is unloaded then they are forgotten about. 

Oh, in that case, this tool's "Reset havok" button should do exactly that, though I haven't actually tested that.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363

Alternatively this one might do it as well: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31724

If it is indeed that though, it doesn't remove much save size, not sure what takes up so much in the saves.

I knew I'd seen the concept somewhere before!

Yeah. Exactly like that save game cleaner. Thank you.

Only, you know, working on my save games. I've long since past the string limit, so am having to use resaver rather than the save game tool... :(

Eta:

I do need to refine the havok impulse so it doesn't effect everything.

I dunno. "Bang! crash! Everything Everywhere!" is kinda cool.

From what I understand with moved items is that they do reset after the cell is unloaded from memory so there shouldn't be too many issues with save games growing in size.

i won't worry about it too much then.

I've long since past the string limit, so am having to use resaver rather than the save game tool... :(

Wow, there is some limit? o.o

Yup.

Something to do with skyrim using 16bit arrays stock. It wasn't something I needed to get my head around as one of the things Crash Fixes does it move them into 32bit arrays.

I only found out when I couldn't make the Save Game Tool work and was tearing my hair out and someone mentioned it wouldn't if I'd passed the string limit.

My answer was "Yeah, 400+ mods, that's probably happened....".

?Fallon Tools does a 'resaver' that handles the 32bit arrays, but doesn't support Havok.

Otherwise it seems to work pretty well.

Know this may of been asked already, but any chance we can get a version without requiring Devious Devices? Personally I don't wanna have to install it just to run this neat mod and personally don't really get any joy from those myself =/ they just complicate the game and get in the way for me (I know kinda the point of this mod, but still I find them over the top for a lot of situations =/)

The rest of the effects from this mod sound really neat though. :)

Know this may of been asked already, but any chance we can get a version without requiring Devious Devices? Personally I don't wanna have to install it just to run this neat mod and personally don't really get any joy from those myself =/ they just complicate the game and get in the way for me (I know kinda the point of this mod, but still I find them over the top for a lot of situations =/)

In earlier versions

He had traps that made the effects of devious devices but only temporary

Blinded for a short time, gagged for a short time, etc it was a very cool effect

He will re-add them soon

I think you can turn off the devious devices trap in the mcm so they wont appear

But if you talk about the mod dependencies then he can answer better then me that question...

Hi Jim

Downloading the new update, will the trap layer be able to distinguish between dungeons, forts and shops ?

Or should i keep the fort unticked ?

thank you

Keep the fort unticked for the moment. I'm working on how best to stop traps appearing in the wrong place :)

I am thinking of doing a vanilla version as the Devious Device traps are only a tiny bit of the mod now.

In earlier versions

He had traps that made the effects of devious devices but only temporary

Blinded for a short time, gagged for a short time, etc it was a very cool effect

He will re-add them soon

I think you can turn off the devious devices trap in the mcm so they wont appear

But if you talk about the mod dependencies then he can answer better then me that question...

The temporary devious device will definitely be returning shortly :)

Hello Jim,

I have some issues with v0.7 alpha

Issue 1:

I found a script conflict with Legacy of the Dragonborn mod.

defaultghostscript.psc

Is it possible to rename this or solve the conflict in some other way?

Issue 2:

I entered Bits and Pieces (a shop in Solitude) and it was trapped. I really don't think these areas should be automatically trapped. :)

Have a nice day,

M

I found some weird behavior with the latest v0.70. First my house in Whiterun was trapped and then a swarm of spiders appeared in the Bannered Mare causing a lot of havok. I have the fort option unticked and tested also to tick and untick it again but it didn't help.

EDIT: I also noticed that the earlier bug I had with some of the other mods thinking that the trap layer is a follower seems to be gone. Haven't tested with all the mods yet.

EDIT 2: Noticed that when I enter my home the first message says that it's a non trappable area and nothing happens. Then some time later the trap layer is reactivated and probably that causes the problem. I'm not totally sure about this but this is how it seems to happen.

Hello Jim,

I have some issues with v0.7 alpha

Issue 1:

I found a script conflict with Legacy of the Dragonborn mod.

defaultghostscript.psc

Is it possible to rename this or solve the conflict in some other way?

Issue 2:

I entered Bits and Pieces (a shop in Solitude) and it was trapped. I really don't think these areas should be automatically trapped. :)

Have a nice day,

M

Actually I shouldn't have packed the defaultghostscript in at all as it is a core script by Bethesda. To be fair, Legay of the Dragonborn also shouldn't have packed it :) I'll remove it in the next version :) On the plus side there shouldn't be any real conflict as the script should be the same (unless Legacy changes it...which would be naughty!)

The other issues are to do with Forts being trappable now. Just go into the MCM and turn Forts off and all should be good.

I found some weird behavior with the latest v0.70. First my house in Whiterun was trapped and then a swarm of spiders appeared in the Bannered Mare causing a lot of havok. I have the fort option unticked and tested also to tick and untick it again but it didn't help.

EDIT: I also noticed that the earlier bug I had with some of the other mods thinking that the trap layer is a follower seems to be gone. Haven't tested with all the mods yet.

EDIT 2: Noticed that when I enter my home the first message says that it's a non trappable area and nothing happens. Then some time later the trap layer is reactivated and probably that causes the problem. I'm not totally sure about this but this is how it seems to happen.

It's definitely the Forts option. The traps were probably already set before you turned the MCM option off.

I changed the trap layer to a wisp instead of a human which is probably why the follower issue has sorted itself...yay!

Everytime the trap layer restarts it should go through the same location checks and should always succeed or fail depending on the area.