[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

I had a quick go with the mod, looks like it is progressing quite well, noticed few weird things/bugs:

The bear traps will trigger even when they are in the closed state (happened with devious bear trap and the poison bear trap).

If a follower steps on the trap (happened with gas and electric traps in this case), it affects the player even if the trap was activated way behind because the follower was being slow.

I've seem multiple traps stacked on top of each other as the trap layer went somewhere and then returned back the same way.

Ooooh, that shouldn't be happening with the bear traps. I'll take a look.

Stacking traps is a bit of a problem as the trap layer can pass through areas more than once depending on how they path through the level. I'm not sure how to fix that at the moment. I do check to ensure enough distance is between the trap layer and the last laid trap. 

Stacking of traps is more likely to happen if you use a higher rate of trap deployment, so you could try increasing the amount of time between each trap being laid.

Is there going to be an option in the mcm to disable/enable specific traps?

Maybe. I shall have to see how difficult it is to allow that.

dont reccomend using with alternate start, she can spawn in the room where you create your character.

"why is there a ghost in here"

5 seconds later im instantly killed by a wolf lmao

also i could see aela the trapper well enough to hover over her.

Yeah, I think the mod will have to start deactivated so that you can activate it once you're ready.

Every time I change cells I get a notification "location change detected." Am I the only one getting this, or I it a temporary WIP notification that will be phased out?

Thanks for your excellent work, MixedupJim.

The location change detected is just a debug message letting you know the mod has noticed that you have moved to a new location and that it is checking to see if the area is compatible with the trap layer system.

I shall be removing them shortly.

Hello, i have question about devious traps:

"Don't worry though, the effect is temporary and the gag will unlock itself after a short delay."

​Would be nice if we could adjust in mcm after how long gag and other devious stuff will unlock itself or at least make it a little bit longer.

Is there a way to safely disable trap laying, or remove the mod entirely? I love this mod, but when I'm not *ah hem* in the mood, it would be nice to be able to turn the mod off for a while so I can focus.

Also. Many of the traps are not compatible with werewolf form, so yeah. It'd be nice to be able to turn it off when I wanna get my woof woof on.

Hello, i have question about devious traps:

"Don't worry though, the effect is temporary and the gag will unlock itself after a short delay."

​Would be nice if we could adjust in mcm after how long gag and other devious stuff will unlock itself or at least make it a little bit longer.

Ah, good idea....yes I can add a control to the MCM for that.

Is there a way to safely disable trap laying, or remove the mod entirely? I love this mod, but when I'm not *ah hem* in the mood, it would be nice to be able to turn the mod off for a while so I can focus.

Also. Many of the traps are not compatible with werewolf form, so yeah. It'd be nice to be able to turn it off when I wanna get my woof woof on.

I'll add an option to deactivate the mod from the MCM.

Nice execution on a good idea MUJim. It def adds suspense to places I know by heart, thanks and keep going, this one should gets lots of love from the community.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you're enjoying it :)

I generally like this mod but sadly the enemies that are spawned (including spirits) are way too hard and virtually impossible to defeat for my character. Maybe it's just me and my setup (SPERG might be responsible).

I have already disabled creature ambush but I would really like a menu where I can disable the traps that I don't like or that make this mod near impossible to use without cheating.

Keep up the good work!

Bug Report:

This game has... interesting synergy with Defeat.

Nothing like losing in battle to a Werewolf Spirit, only to be raped by Aela the Trapper. I mean I knew she had it in for me, but gosh.

Mmh. When I start a new game with "Live another Life" and this mod, I am beset by creatures before all mods have finished installing, let alone I spoke to the Mara statue.
... Mayhap it really should start disabled until the player activates it (like e.g. SexLab Defeat) or until the game is reloaded for the first time (like e.g. Devious Devices Integration) or until the LaL quest has advanced to normal play?

Mmh. When I start a new game with "Live another Life" and this mod, I am beset by creatures before all mods have finished installing, let alone I spoke to the Mara statue.

... Mayhap it really should start disabled until the player activates it (like e.g. SexLab Defeat) or until the game is reloaded for the first time (like e.g. Devious Devices Integration) or until the LaL quest has advanced to normal play?

This is actually a good idea and my vote goes for the disabled until player activates it in the MCM. With a new game I would like to have at least SkyUI and Sexlab active before any other mods activate.

I generally like this mod but sadly the enemies that are spawned (including spirits) are way too hard and virtually impossible to defeat for my character. Maybe it's just me and my setup (SPERG might be responsible).

I have already disabled creature ambush but I would really like a menu where I can disable the traps that I don't like or that make this mod near impossible to use without cheating.

Keep up the good work!

Yes, I think they are too difficult at the moment. I shall be reducing their skill level shortly :)

Bug Report:

This game has... interesting synergy with Defeat.

Nothing like losing in battle to a Werewolf Spirit, only to be raped by Aela the Trapper. I mean I knew she had it in for me, but gosh.

That....that is weird. I wonder what criteria Defeat is using to decide who to use in scenes.

This is actually a good idea and my vote goes for the disabled until player activates it in the MCM. With a new game I would like to have at least SkyUI and Sexlab active before any other mods activate.

Yep...I will be setting the mod to initially  be deactivated and then allowing you to switch in on and off as required through the MCM

Yep...I will be setting the mod to initially  be deactivated and then allowing you to switch in on and off as required through the MCM

Bonus points for allowing access to all options in the MCM before the mod is activated (e.g. not like SexLab Defeat, which has to be installed first and configured second - it is not a problem there, as a fight has to start in the first place for any effects to occur, but it would be an issue here).

Bonus points for allowing access to all options in the MCM before the mod is activated (e.g. not like SexLab Defeat, which has to be installed first and configured second - it is not a problem there, as a fight has to start in the first place for any effects to occur, but it would be an issue here).

How many bonus points do I get? :)

Very entertaining mod - it makes dungeons I've gone through many times before less predictable and more interesting again. I have noticed a few things though that might be corrected or improved. By the way, I'm using v0.4 .

1) the trap layer can get stuck and then may lay many traps one atop the other. Specifically in Bleak Falls she got stuck at the portcullis door near the beginning, and dropped no less than four pressure plates in the same spot.

2) the trap layer is often sort of visible and her footsteps can often be heard. I've even managed to talk to her. Kind of spooky really, so I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

3) the trap layer seems to start again when ever you reenter a dungeon, adding a whole new set of traps - but her previously laid traps are still there. If you enter the same dungeon several times the trap density can get pretty high. On the one hand I like new traps getting placed - it keeps the place interesting, but if too many traps accumulate play can become tedious. Perhaps the traps from earlier runs should be removed? Or maybe have a "cool down" period before the trap layer can run through the same dungeon again?

Anyway, great work and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Very entertaining mod - it makes dungeons I've gone through many times before less predictable and more interesting again. I have noticed a few things though that might be corrected or improved. By the way, I'm using v0.4 .

1) the trap layer can get stuck and then may lay many traps one atop the other. Specifically in Bleak Falls she got stuck at the portcullis door near the beginning, and dropped no less than four pressure plates in the same spot.

2) the trap layer is often sort of visible and her footsteps can often be heard. I've even managed to talk to her. Kind of spooky really, so I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

3) the trap layer seems to start again when ever you reenter a dungeon, adding a whole new set of traps - but her previously laid traps are still there. If you enter the same dungeon several times the trap density can get pretty high. On the one hand I like new traps getting placed - it keeps the place interesting, but if too many traps accumulate play can become tedious. Perhaps the traps from earlier runs should be removed? Or maybe have a "cool down" period before the trap layer can run through the same dungeon again?

Hi thanks for reporting back. 

1. This actually shouldn't happen as the system should check to make sure the trap layer has moved far enough away from the last laid trap before placing a new one. If the trap layer gets stuck then they restart at a random location and it runs again, so I suppose if they are getting stuck at the same point each time then the traps could build up. Not sure how I could stop that from happening without doing some intensive scanning each time a trap is laid.

2. She is semi visible at the moment to help diagnose problems like the above. I will set them to totally invisible and they should be silent as well.

3. Again, this shouldn't happen. The trap layer should only start in a freshly loaded cell which shouldn't have any prelaid traps in it. I'll see if I can replicate it.

1. This actually shouldn't happen as the system should check to make sure the trap layer has moved far enough away from the last laid trap before placing a new one. If the trap layer gets stuck then they restart at a random location and it runs again, so I suppose if they are getting stuck at the same point each time then the traps could build up. Not sure how I could stop that from happening without doing some intensive scanning each time a trap is laid.

2. She is semi visible at the moment to help diagnose problems like the above. I will set them to totally invisible and they should be silent as well.

3. Again, this shouldn't happen. The trap layer should only start in a freshly loaded cell which shouldn't have any prelaid traps in it. I'll see if I can replicate it.

1. Keeping the coordinates of the last trap laid should be enough to prevent that but you may be resetting that when you are restarting the trap layer.

3. Keep a form list of dungeons that have been trapped, you can add one to the ranking each time the trap layer runs through and have a MCM setting to control the maximum number of times the layer can run that dungeon (defaulted to 1).

This is an interesting idea and I hope to try it myself in a run through soon but right now I'm mostly busy trying to work out some issues with other mods that I am tweaking for my own purposes.

Don't know if this has been asked before, but could we get more MCM sliders? Mainly I want it for the traps to affect which traps spawn and for what devices we get when traps spawn. For example, for the yoke trap It'd be nice to have the option of an armbinder instead, or both. I'm personally not a fan of yokes which is why I ask.

It would also be nice for colors to be selectable, and for what boots and restraint types we could get too, but for the most part I don't really mind not being able to select what color/finish I get, because what device I get is more important.

1. Keeping the coordinates of the last trap laid should be enough to prevent that but you may be resetting that when you are restarting the trap layer.

3. Keep a form list of dungeons that have been trapped, you can add one to the ranking each time the trap layer runs through and have a MCM setting to control the maximum number of times the layer can run that dungeon (defaulted to 1).

This is an interesting idea and I hope to try it myself in a run through soon but right now I'm mostly busy trying to work out some issues with other mods that I am tweaking for my own purposes.

I actually place an xMarker at the last placed trap location then check to ensure the trap-layer has moved a certain distance away from it before allowing another trap to be set. The problem is I think the trap layer is looping around the dungeon and getting stuck at the same point each time. Not quite sure how to fix that at the moment.

I didn't actually realise the traps were permanent...they're not supposed to be. Also the trap layer should only trigger then a cell is loaded the 1st time. I wonder if my code is triggering on just a location change rather than cell change...

Don't know if this has been asked before, but could we get more MCM sliders? Mainly I want it for the traps to affect which traps spawn and for what devices we get when traps spawn. For example, for the yoke trap It'd be nice to have the option of an armbinder instead, or both. I'm personally not a fan of yokes which is why I ask.

It would also be nice for colors to be selectable, and for what boots and restraint types we could get too, but for the most part I don't really mind not being able to select what color/finish I get, because what device I get is more important.

I'll see what I can do. :)

I had put up a post in the tech section, without success.  I believe there is the possibility that this mod interferes with custom followers handled by Amazing Follower Tweaks.  I had an issue with these followers returning to their point of origin, despite being recruited, and ran a whole bunch of console commands and AI-release options through MCM.

Did not have the issue before this mod; when I pulled it, the problem disappeared.  Mod version was one back from the most recent version as of this post.

I'm not sure why this would effect custom followers. There's nothing I can think of off the top of my head that would effect them.

And that would make you correct, apparently.  Same issues persist, even after I pulled and rebuild.  Going to need to heavy look at new mods and updates.  Sorry.

I had put up a post in the tech section, without success.  I believe there is the possibility that this mod interferes with custom followers handled by Amazing Follower Tweaks.  I had an issue with these followers returning to their point of origin, despite being recruited, and ran a whole bunch of console commands and AI-release options through MCM.

Did not have the issue before this mod; when I pulled it, the problem disappeared.  Mod version was one back from the most recent version as of this post.

I'm not sure why this would effect custom followers. There's nothing I can think of off the top of my head that would effect them.

And that would make you correct, apparently.  Same issues persist, even after I pulled and rebuild.  Going to need to heavy look at new mods and updates.  Sorry.

Are you running death alternative? I think its follower dismiss function might have caused some serious follower-bug for me in the instances I let it actually trigger (possibly by conflicting with some other mod, I'm really not sure; I did not locate the exact source of the problem yet, I can only avoid triggering the bug).

Hi thanks for reporting back. 

Okay,  just did Halted Stream and the trap layer is definitely still putting multiple traps in the same location - but now I can say it isn't all at one time. In this case I snuck in to the Halted Stream mine, and killed the bandit in the upper area. At that time I noticed that the trap layer had put a spider trap near the mine entrance. I went on and killed the other bandits, looted the place, etc. and when I came back up I found there was now a draugr trap right next to the spider trap.

I use LAL mod and immerslave mod and DA and SD and a lot of the other major stuff devious devices stuff etc so I updated the mods I follow TODAY from here and threw away all my saves removed some mods like OSA and OSEX deviously helpless and NSAP replaced that with SLAL and some anim packs blah blah run FNIS get everything lined up just right and after starting a new game I am put into that flooded prison by LAL as usual and what do I see trying to run through a locked door but the trap layer! She just constantly tried to get past that door. I tried setting her with TCL command to see if she would just run through the door so I could then un TCL her but nope she just stood there and eventually reset. I spent some time doing race menu setup like anyone else would and wait for all the mods and their mcm to load and message log on top left of screen to go away then setup sexlab and all the stuff that works with it and blah blah SAVE the game and choose my character fate at the mara statue and after getting immerslave stuff done finally free! what do I see constantly spamming the top left message area but new trap! new trap! new trap! new trap! spammed over and over again. I can only think it is from when I was setting everything up it should have been showing it then but didn't? I saved and quit gonna try go back in and see if it is still happening.

I tried the restart quest debug option and sometimes it would say detecting location change but still with the spamming.

Tried it out and really enjoyed the diversity of it all. The pressure plate traps are pretty easy to spot but some of the stone ones got me.

Funny side note; Tried it in Bleak Falls Barrow with a new save and got so focused on looking for traps, I forgot to loot the claw until I was at the puzzle door. Of course, when I zone back into the other part of the dungeon to get the key she runs off laying traps again. Then I realized I hadn't installed Estrus so I saved and quit game to do that and when I loaded back up, she runs off laying traps again lol. 

I do hope you make the DD items a menu option. I installed all the DD stuff again to try this out but I did the whole Devious Devices/Cursed Loot/Devious chests thing and it got to where I spent all my play time watching my character get abused instead of actually playing. Granted, you don't have it immobilizing the player and I had a chuckle when I heard the "clop clop clop" of  pony boots and turned to see my follower had somehow managed to get herself in a pair but I had to console in a key to get them off of her as I'm not sure you can get a key without doing the whole quest line to enable you to make one or have a mod that gives them as loot. (Maybe have a few keys drop when you make it rain treasure)

Keep up the great work, I do enjoy a good mod that mixes it up when you have ran a dungeon so many times you can do it in your sleep and know where the traps are. I can see this joining the list of must have mods.

Thanks for making this mod. It goes almost too well with estrus spiders and has so much potential. One thing kind of stands out though. The pressure plates added in the vanilla game don't return any menu text when you hover the cursor over them. The ones added by TAP do so you can tell exactly what kind of trap it is. Plus once you spot them they are kind of easy to go around since the pressure plates aren't very big. I can't remember exactly but do the magical rune traps still trigger when you sneak through them with the perk to not trigger traps?