[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

Still lots of errors with the TrapLayer and .52, I'm afraid.  The TrapLayer alias must be None for some reason.   :(

04/30/2017 - 03:49:28PM] ERROR: Cannot call IsDead() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
	[alias TrapLayer on quest _TAPDungeonTrapLayer (CD038343)]._TAPTrapLayerController.OnUpdate() - "_TAPTrapLayerController.psc" Line 24

This was happening on a brand new level 1 character.  I tried going into the MCM and toggling options and hitting the reset button but still similar errors :(

I'm hoping this particular error is fixed in the latest version as the Trap Layer is essential to the quest so there should never be a case of them not existing!

Hi Jim

Just wanted to step out of the shadows and say that i think this mod is a must have in any playlist

I want to say thank you for constantly making your mods better and better each update

When you will have finished merging devious magic and curses with this mod it will be amazing !

My character will have to really watch out  while exploring lol

Continue the great work

Thanks, it is always great to hear back from people using my mods :)

Still lots of errors with the TrapLayer and .52, I'm afraid.  The TrapLayer alias must be None for some reason.   sad.png

04/30/2017 - 03:49:28PM] ERROR: Cannot call IsDead() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
	[alias TrapLayer on quest _TAPDungeonTrapLayer (CD038343)]._TAPTrapLayerController.OnUpdate() - "_TAPTrapLayerController.psc" Line 24

This was happening on a brand new level 1 character.  I tried going into the MCM and toggling options and hitting the reset button but still similar errors sad.png

I'm hoping this particular error is fixed in the latest version as the Trap Layer is essential to the quest so there should never be a case of them not existing!

Thank you, I will give the new version a try!  If I'm still having issues, what console commands should I use to help get you more info for debugging?  sqv or the one about, um, script/quest aliases, I forget the name?  And on which things?

And which MCM option is the best to run when I install a new version to make sure things are reset properly?

Also, one small bug - the UI for one of the MCM items doesn't actually toggle when I click it, though if I click the refresh button at the bottom then when I close and reopen the MCM page it will have the value I chose.  I'm afraid I don't have it in front of me but it's one of the first two options, I think the one to enable container trapping.

Finally, I want to echo Toxedo's comment - I absolutely love the idea of the mod and the bit that I've gotten to see so far.  My favorite mods are the ones that add more gameplay to all the existing areas to make the same ol dungeons a bit fresher again, and your mod fits right in :)

Man, this mod is great, and keeps improving - thank you!  I really liked the old Devious Traps, and I haven't removed that, but I might soon the way things are going.

2 things I've noticed with 0.55:

As throwaway219 noted above, in the MCM clicking on buttons - or maybe just certain buttons - no longer seems to update them.  In fact the changes are registered (closing/re-opening MCM shows them toggled properly), but there's no apparent effect when you click.  This is true for the new "Forts" and "Clearable areas" buttons.

Also... presumably because of the addition of "Forts", the trap layer now also is activated in player homes - only tested Lakeview Manor so far.  It's amusing, but probably not intended behaviour!

Thank you, I will give the new version a try!  If I'm still having issues, what console commands should I use to help get you more info for debugging?  sqv or the one about, um, script/quest aliases, I forget the name?  And on which things?

And which MCM option is the best to run when I install a new version to make sure things are reset properly?

Also, one small bug - the UI for one of the MCM items doesn't actually toggle when I click it, though if I click the refresh button at the bottom then when I close and reopen the MCM page it will have the value I chose.  I'm afraid I don't have it in front of me but it's one of the first two options, I think the one to enable container trapping.

Finally, I want to echo Toxedo's comment - I absolutely love the idea of the mod and the bit that I've gotten to see so far.  My favorite mods are the ones that add more gameplay to all the existing areas to make the same ol dungeons a bit fresher again, and your mod fits right in :)

The best thing to do is stop and restart the main MCM quest. This also contains the location monitoring script.

In the console type

stopquest _TAPMCM

then

startquest _TAPMCM

That will refresh all the main scripts.

You can also shutdown the trap layer quest by typing

stopquest _TAPDungeonTrapLayer

You don't need to restart this one, it will kick in when needed.

What ever you've been using to report missing alias etc has been very useful so keep doing that if you wish.

I have uploaded a new version which should fix the MCM issues.

Man, this mod is great, and keeps improving - thank you!  I really liked the old Devious Traps, and I haven't removed that, but I might soon the way things are going.

2 things I've noticed with 0.55:

As throwaway219 noted above, in the MCM clicking on buttons - or maybe just certain buttons - no longer seems to update them.  In fact the changes are registered (closing/re-opening MCM shows them toggled properly), but there's no apparent effect when you click.  This is true for the new "Forts" and "Clearable areas" buttons.

Also... presumably because of the addition of "Forts", the trap layer now also is activated in player homes - only tested Lakeview Manor so far.  It's amusing, but probably not intended behaviour!

MCM should now be working correctly.

I've added some extra debugging messages temporarily so I can see exactly what is happening in trappable and non-trappable areas. In non trappable areas you should now get a "This area is not trappable" followed by a "Trap Laying Complete" message. In a slight change from the previous versions, the trap layer quest will start in every new area as I now use scene stages to detect the exact location and fire the appropriate scripts so you will always get the "Traplayer Active" message.

****PROGRESS UPDATE****

I've now made the decision to rebuild most of the traps in this mod. Mainly because they were becoming somewhat difficult to handle as for each trap I'd have to do several versions (1 for pressure plate, 1 for stone trigger etc etc) and if I needed to make a change then I was having to repeat myself many times :(

So, I've now developed a much more sophisticated method of generating traps which will make them more varied in their effects and more varied in their lethality. It will also cut down the number of traps to just a handlful as each trap will randomise itself when it is placed. 

Traps will range from simple alarms all the way up to potentially doing serious damage and possibly even killing you (cue my Devious Surrender Mod!). You really will have to keep an eye out for them.

There will also be a new range of traps based around the various critters of Skyrim. So the next time you see a desiccated corpse or a stray spider web be careful or it might bring the owner scuttling to find out who has stumbled into their snare!

All traps will also have the ability to effect your companion (if you have one) so you'll both suffer the same fate if you trigger one, or you can turn that option off in the MCM.

Is there a way to stop the ghost ememy traps from spawning? I like the mod, but I don't want that.

Not at the moment. However I do have plans for releasing trap configuration menu in the MCM

****QUICK UPDATE****

The MCM configuration for the traps is up and usable. You should be able to tweak them as you see fit.

Is there a way to stop the ghost ememy traps from spawning? I like the mod, but I don't want that.

Not at the moment. However I do have plans for releasing trap configuration menu in the MCM

****QUICK UPDATE****

The MCM configuration for the traps is up and usable. You should be able to tweak them as you see fit.

tnx! I'll try it right away

I updated to the new version, and everywhere I go I get a notification that the location isn't trappable. Went to Bleakfalls Barrow and got the same thing. Any idea what I did?

That is strange.

You can try cycling the two toggle options for "Clearable" and "Forts" in the MCM just to make sure that these have actually been picked up as ON.

Bleakfalls is definitely trappable as that is basically my test area :)

You could also try restarting the MCM quest by typing this in the console (usually ` on most computers)

stopquest _TAPMCM

then

startquest _TAPMCM

This should refresh any scripts that are running...perhaps it didn't pick up the changes correctly.

****QUICK UPDATE****

New BETA version up that introduces the new Location Themed Trap Lists. So far Draugr Crypts and Mine locations have their own sets of traps, everything else will default to a generic location list until I get all locations added.

By doing this I can make traps out of clutter objects that you would normally find in a specific location making them more difficult to spot.

I have also added a lootable Skeever Nest Critter Trap and a lootable Draugr Grave Critter Trap. 

Hey there,

i'm a new user for the mod, played only very little so far. I understand that it is WIP and console mesages are important, but it is possible to switch them off? They spam too much for immersion.

Otherwise I don't have anything to report yet. :)

Thanks,

M

With 0.45 I noticed that the traplayer sometimes had 'issues' with flooded areas (i.e. traps and mobs in submerged areas).

Ah! I'll have a look into that. Might just need a little check to ensure the trap layer isn't swimming when laying taps.

Hey there,

i'm a new user for the mod, played only very little so far. I understand that it is WIP and console mesages are important, but it is possible to switch them off? They spam too much for immersion.

Thanks,

M

I will start switching them off...most are not needed now. :)

****QUICK UPDATE****

For those brave enough I have uploaded an ALPHA version of the mod which introduces a few neat things. One is that the trap layer is now capable of spawning insect spawners as part of their Location Specific mob spawn list. This should help to make dungeons a little more interesting if you come across some fireflies or moths etc. I don't know how well it works in practise.

The other major change is a complete rebuild of the event system to allow quick and easy events to be added. I've set up 2 different events...

1. Skeever Horde - will spawn a group of hungry skeevers who will seek you out! Can happen in any indoor area!

2. Raising the Dead - will reanimate a few corpses around you when you are in a Draugr Crypt area.

The frequency of these events is controlled through the current MCM controls.

I have also added a few experimental critter traps such as a skeever nest that spawns baby skeevers who run away from you!

Please only use the ALPHA if you want to test the above as it could all go horribly wrong! :)

With 0.45 I noticed that the traplayer sometimes had 'issues' with flooded areas (i.e. traps and mobs in submerged areas).

Ah! I'll have a look into that. Might just need a little check to ensure the trap layer isn't swimming when laying taps.

Hey there,

Thanks,

M

I will start switching them off...most are not needed now. :)

****QUICK UPDATE****

For those brave enough I have uploaded an ALPHA version of the mod which introduces a few neat things. One is that the trap layer is now capable of spawning insect spawners as part of their Location Specific mob spawn list. This should help to make dungeons a little more interesting if you come across some fireflies or moths etc. I don't know how well it works in practise.

The other major change is a complete rebuild of the event system to allow quick and easy events to be added. I've set up 2 different events...

1. Skeever Horde - will spawn a group of hungry skeevers who will seek you out! Can happen in any indoor area!

2. Raising the Dead - will reanimate a few corpses around you when you are in a Draugr Crypt area.

The frequency of these events is controlled through the current MCM controls.

I have also added a few experimental critter traps such as a skeever nest that spawns baby skeevers who run away from you!

Please only use the ALPHA if you want to test the above as it could all go horribly wrong! :)

Evil Fireflies????? :)

It's my first try with this mod, so maybe other users have some hints. I'm a bit annoyed that the traps kill pretty much every vanilla enemy if i just sneak in and wait. Sure enough, they spawn enough mobs, and partly my annoyance is due to the point that i currently enter certain locations to meet certain enemies, this setup is just to test several mods i didn't try yet. ;)

Are there some settings that will make that happen less often? If i had any idea i'd suggest something, but... my only idea is to give the vanilla enemies the perk not to trigger traps, but if they don't do it at all it wouldn't be perfect either imho, i'd like it just less often. 

Are the Estrus traps still in the mod? I put Estrus in my game, but I never encountered one. Not sure if it's just my luck, though. (Got attacked by a lot of ghost werewolves, though...I'm assuming those came from this mod).

It's my first try with this mod, so maybe other users have some hints. I'm a bit annoyed that the traps kill pretty much every vanilla enemy if i just sneak in and wait. Sure enough, they spawn enough mobs, and partly my annoyance is due to the point that i currently enter certain locations to meet certain enemies, this setup is just to test several mods i didn't try yet. ;)

Are there some settings that will make that happen less often? If i had any idea i'd suggest something, but... my only idea is to give the vanilla enemies the perk not to trigger traps, but if they don't do it at all it wouldn't be perfect either imho, i'd like it just less often. 

I'm currently willing to help test this out, but it shouldn't break my save, right?

Are the Estrus traps still in the mod? I put Estrus in my game, but I never encountered one. Not sure if it's just my luck, though. (Got attacked by a lot of ghost werewolves, though...I'm assuming those came from this mod).

Evil Fireflies????? :)

Possibly a good idea for a new mod....evil devious fireflies of skyrim!

Actually NPCs should trigger the traps it should only be the player. What might be happening is spawned mobs may be attacking the NPCs already there. This by design to really mix it up in dungeons. If you don't like this then you can simply set it to 100% traps.

I will double check the trap triggers, they should definitely only work on the player.

I'm currently willing to help test this out, but it shouldn't break my save, right?

It shouldn't break your save, but things that might not work as expected.

Ah, I have not rewritten them yet, but i will.

WoW you are on fire with the updates !  I find your have excellent ideas, great stuff ! 

I am downloading right now the updates

Thanks, got some good spare time at the moment :)

Actually NPCs should trigger the traps it should only be the player. What might be happening is spawned mobs may be attacking the NPCs already there. This by design to really mix it up in dungeons. If you don't like this then you can simply set it to 100% traps.

I will double check the trap triggers, they should definitely only work on the player.

Ah, i thought mobs are only spawned by triggered traps too, so at least in one point i was wrong. ;) 

But some traps were definitly triggered by NPCs OR maybe by the mobs. During most of my tests, i didn't wait until everybody was dead (or the traps were even laid) but started a fight, lost, and triggered Defeat which called some NPCs from out of sight. The next thing that happend was a lot of noise, explosions, rocks, and a lot of dead NPCs. Often including those currently fucking me /waiting for their turn which either made my game crash or at least weird^^

side note: one of the other mods i'm testing is the amputator framework, it's the only one i could imagine that it somehow changes some traps? Afaik it should work nice with this mod, just mentioning it in case it matters.

But some traps were definitly triggered by NPCs OR maybe by the mobs. During most of my tests, i didn't wait until everybody was dead (or the traps were even laid) but started a fight, lost, and triggered Defeat which called some NPCs from out of sight. The next thing that happend was a lot of noise, explosions, rocks, and a lot of dead NPCs. Often including those currently fucking me /waiting for their turn which either made my game crash or at least weird^^Ah, i thought mobs are only spawned by triggered traps too, so at least in one point i was wrong. ;)

side note: one of the other mods i'm testing is the amputator framework, it's the only one i could imagine that it somehow changes some traps? Afaik it should work nice with this mod, just mentioning it in case it matters.

Just checked and all traps should only activate when triggered by the Player.

However, it sounds like something else was going on if there were rocks...I think it might have been one of the Events which can start randomly. Did you get any screen shake at all?

However, it sounds like something else was going on if there were rocks...I think it might have been one of the Events which can start randomly. Did you get any screen shake at all?

Uhh possibly. I think so, but since i was fucked and i'm also testing some mods changing sex(effects) and my bad memory... i wouldn't put any body parts in a fire for that. ;)

Hi Jim

With version 0.65 alpha

I find myself having traps inside dragonreach and my house breezerhome, also in stores

i thought these locations were a safe havenl

thanks

PS : i also had a problem with a critter egg nest blocking the iron door in a dungeons but with  "disable" i passed throught easily

I've currently got an older version installed, so it may have been fixed, but just in case: I was setting up a new game (going through all of the MCM menus) using Live Another Life, and was killed by a horde of skeevers partway through. Tried it again, and saw a tiny little woman sprinting against the door, unable to get through.