[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

Spirit trap is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for in Skyrim mods. Between a chance to avoid dealing with it (by spotting the trap early enough) and having a way to end combat without the player having to 'die', this is great.

Here's hoping to some more alternate methods of ending combat in the future, from both this mod and others.

Yeah, I like giving the player the ability to deal with the problem...and then a punishment if they don't. I was actually thinking of changing the random timer to a loss of stamina. Once your stamina hits 0 then you're done. This would give a visual feedback (due to your stamina bar dropping) plus also the ability to use stamina potions to increase your survival rate (which would also give a reason to carry those potions) as well as higher level characters being more durable.

Not 100% sure whether I'll change it, but certainly going to look into that mechanic. 

If possible, I'd be better to just show a small bar on screen above the health bar if you need a timer - tying it to stamina is risky, since upper level characters are easily going to have a ton if they're melee focused, and low level melee might run out just by attacking the spirit regardless of the drain.

Do you have to manually start the trap layer for every dungeon?

At the momeny, yes. But I'm hoping in the next update it will be automatic when you visit a new area.

If possible, I'd be better to just show a small bar on screen above the health bar if you need a timer - tying it to stamina is risky, since upper level characters are easily going to have a ton if they're melee focused, and low level melee might run out just by attacking the spirit regardless of the drain.

Yes that would be better, I've seen it done before just not sure how to do it myself :)

Is there any chance of getting this without Devious Devices? The premise sounds great but a lot of people aren't into the Bondage stuff.

I knew someone would ask for that eventually. :) Short answer is yes, but not until I've got the base of the mod fully functional. It's quite complex to handle two versions of the same mod at the same time.

****UPDATE TIME****

Added Falmer Hive, Mines and Bandit themed areas with suitable mobs. 

Added various "spirit traps". These traps release a spirit to attack your player. You will have a random amount of time to defeat the spirit before it gains enough strength to have its way with you. This repeats until you have defeated the spirit. These traps only trigger once and then are destroyed.

Spirits currently include Draugr, Wolves, Spiders, Trolls and Werewolves

This is awsome

Will you be adding spirit people to the spirit traps? For whatever reason, I kinda dig seeing my character fucked by a ghost.

Yes, there will be some spirit people as well :)

Holy shit! this sounds amazing! gonna try it out right now!

Let me know what you think :)

****UPDATE TIME****

Added Falmer Hive, Mines and Bandit themed areas with suitable mobs. 

Added various "spirit traps". These traps release a spirit to attack your player. You will have a random amount of time to defeat the spirit before it gains enough strength to have its way with you. This repeats until you have defeated the spirit. These traps only trigger once and then are destroyed.

Spirits currently include Draugr, Wolves, Spiders, Trolls and Werewolves

This is awsome

It is...and hopefully it will keep getting even better :)

all of the traps trap me in spiderwebbing from that spiderwebbing mod

I'm not familiar with that mod...it is possible that they editing the core scripts for traps which might be causing problems. Can you point me to the exact mod?

Is there any chance of getting this without Devious Devices? The premise sounds great but a lot of people aren't into the Bondage stuff.

I knew someone would ask for that eventually. :) Short answer is yes, but not until I've got the base of the mod fully functional. It's quite complex to handle two versions of the same mod at the same time.

Two versions of a mod is a big mistake as all enhancements and patches have to be applied to both which doubles your work.

There are ways of making mods "optional", when you get ready to consider this issue just ask for help on how to make the Devious Devices optional and we'll help you.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to give an option to remove spiders easily, but I'll see what I can do....so you probably won't like some of the events I had planned, especially the one where lots of little (but harmless) spiders drop from the ceiling? smile.png

Well either way, Thanks. Looking to be pretty interesting.

Two versions of a mod is a big mistake as all enhancements and patches have to be applied to both which doubles your work.

There are ways of making mods "optional", when you get ready to consider this issue just ask for help on how to make the Devious Devices optional and we'll help you.

That is definitely something I need to learn how to do :)

Anyway, I would like if traps (or at least the later rune and spellfiring-soulgem traps) could use devious magic/curses as well, besides the other things.

Yes, I'll be using some of those items from that mod. It may well be that this mod will replace that mod in some ways.

Well either way, Thanks. Looking to be pretty interesting.

What about estrus traps? I guess estrus will do perfectly with this mod.

Yes, yes they would :)

Hi,

the traps always fail to spawn in dungeons. the message appears when I left the dungeon. Version 0.25

Did you see the tap layer running around when you started trap laying? Don't suppose you can remember which dungeon you were trying? There is a possibility that some dungeons will be incompatible as they don't have enough doors to generate a suitable path for trap laying. A dungeon must have at least 2 doors to create a valid path.

Places like small caves etc will probably only have a single door (the entrance) so the quest won't work. However, because you got a failed message when leaving the dungeon means that the quest did start correctly. It is possible the trap layer encountered an issue such as getting stuck and that's why no traps were laid.

You might also need to check your trap : enemy ratio and the time delay between traps as these will effect the number and density of traps in the dungeon.

Other things could include that you just didn't see the traps or there is the possibility that the route the trap layer takes does not cover the entire dungeon so some areas could be trap free.

The dungeon 'Dead Man's Respite' gives the trap layer issues - she tries to go to through the wrong way (through a door that only opens after you kill the boss) and gets stuck.

Do you have any plans to deal with troublesome dungeons? Some of them might only require a little tweak (placing an invisible 'pathnode' object in the dungeon and force the trap layer to path to it between doors, for example) but not sure how reasonable that is.

Started a new game with this mod and I get the notifications about trap event failed and started etc but haven't tried to start the whole thing yet just got that dam hadvar out of the cave and finally to helgen but I keep getting those notifications as if I am in a dungeon. Can you set this thing to not bother the user as long as they are outside or in the outside world cells? I noticed any notifications that were popping up while outside are completely gone once inside a cave or dungeon like the starter cave from helgen keep. Once I get to whiterun and do all the default shit to get the house I'm gonna take lydia on some dungeon dwelling for sure:-)

Ok played some more with this mod and my trap layer looks like a female thieves guild member not a skeever. For the layer not being able to access a whole dungeon just make her not use collision so she can run past anyone although I don't know if that would work she might just run through a floor or something.

Some things we need in the mcm menu are:

We need settings for what kind of traps are dropped so we can turn on or off the traps we don't like.

The constant notifications about events started and failed is really annoying after a while it should go away lol but I am sure that is for testing right now.

Traps need to be invisible if the player can see them they won't step on them and not labeled either.

The dungeon 'Dead Man's Respite' gives the trap layer issues - she tries to go to through the wrong way (through a door that only opens after you kill the boss) and gets stuck.

Do you have any plans to deal with troublesome dungeons? Some of them might only require a little tweak (placing an invisible 'pathnode' object in the dungeon and force the trap layer to path to it between doors, for example) but not sure how reasonable that is.

I shall try to place some kind of check that if they get stuck for too long then the quest will restart choosing a new random path through the dungeon which should fix most issues. At the moment the trap layer always spawns next to the player...I think I will change that so they spawn at the 1st door waypoint. That way it randomises their path through the dungeon even more.

I'm not familiar with that mod...it is possible that they editing the core scripts for traps which might be causing problems. Can you point me to the exact mod?

it's

Arachnophobia

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/845-arachnophobia/

Started a new game with this mod and I get the notifications about trap event failed and started etc but haven't tried to start the whole thing yet just got that dam hadvar out of the cave and finally to helgen but I keep getting those notifications as if I am in a dungeon. Can you set this thing to not bother the user as long as they are outside or in the outside world cells? I noticed any notifications that were popping up while outside are completely gone once inside a cave or dungeon like the starter cave from helgen keep. Once I get to whiterun and do all the default shit to get the house I'm gonna take lydia on some dungeon dwelling for sure:-)

I don't know why those messages are showing up. The quest line shouldn't have even started at the beginning of a new game, but for some reason a script is running (which is a bit worrying!)

Ok played some more with this mod and my trap layer looks like a female thieves guild member not a skeever. For the layer not being able to access a whole dungeon just make her not use collision so she can run past anyone although I don't know if that would work she might just run through a floor or something.

We need settings for what kind of traps are dropped so we can turn on or off the traps we don't like.

The constant notifications about events started and failed is really annoying after a while it should go away lol but I am sure that is for testing right now.

Traps need to be invisible if the player can see them they won't step on them and not labeled either.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of being able to choose which traps you want is pretty small. The best I could do is a ratio between traps and enemies.

The notifications will be removed at some point, but they are useful for testing.

Traps will never be invisible, the whole idea is that you can see them if you are paying attention and avoid them. If they were invisible then I could simply do a random check every so often to see if you triggered a trap, which I think would become boring very quickly. Having them visible means you need to be looking for them and they are easy to miss if you concentrating on something else.

Hi, the devious bears traps don't work. Nothing happens except the player gets hit. The other devious traps (gag, blind) works good.

I'll check it out.

I assume the traps use the normal trap visuals, so if you want you can use Subliminal Traps (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2653) for some of them, along with mods that make things darker without a light source (like torch) so everything in general is hard to notice in a dungeon, traps too.

I don't believe I would want traps to be completely invisible, that would defeat the purpose and you might as well use random timed events instead of traps.

I do like if they are hard to notice though.

I shall try to place some kind of check that if they get stuck for too long then the quest will restart choosing a new random path through the dungeon which should fix most issues. At the moment the trap layer always spawns next to the player...I think I will change that so they spawn at the 1st door waypoint. That way it randomises their path through the dungeon even more.

it's

Arachnophobia

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/845-arachnophobia/

I don't know why those messages are showing up. The quest line shouldn't have even started at the beginning of a new game, but for some reason a script is running (which is a bit worrying!)

Unfortunately, the likelihood of being able to choose which traps you want is pretty small. The best I could do is a ratio between traps and enemies.

The notifications will be removed at some point, but they are useful for testing.

Traps will never be invisible, the whole idea is that you can see them if you are paying attention and avoid them. If they were invisible then I could simply do a random check every so often to see if you triggered a trap, which I think would become boring very quickly. Having them visible means you need to be looking for them and they are easy to miss if you concentrating on something else.

Hi, the devious bears traps don't work. Nothing happens except the player gets hit. The other devious traps (gag, blind) works good.

I'll check it out.

I've got the problem with the trap layer who runs into the same wall at the entry of the dungeon too. funny its Aela_the_trapper ^^

Can compagnions activate the traps too?

I assume the traps use the normal trap visuals, so if you want you can use Subliminal Traps (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2653) for some of them, along with mods that make things darker without a light source (like torch) so everything in general is hard to notice in a dungeon, traps too.

I don't believe I would want traps to be completely invisible, that would defeat the purpose and you might as well use random timed events instead of traps.

I do like if they are hard to notice though.

Yes they do, although none of them use the stone trigger that subliminal traps replaces. Currently they all use the metal pressure plate but I will be adding the other styles in shortly so yes, subliminal will work with it if you fancy less obvious traps.  :)

Can compagnions activate the traps too?

I've got the problem with the trap layer who runs into the same wall at the entry of the dungeon too. funny its Aela_the_trapper ^^

Some traps can be triggered by any NPC, some I have limited to player only as they can cause weird stuff to happen. The spirit traps can be triggered by anyone.

Hopefully stuck trap layers should be fixed (to a certain degree). The new version will move them else where if they get stuck. This means they can get behind locked or blocked areas, or even into areas you've already passed through.