[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

With how you've written it, you could add devious rune traps as well.

There is a more-or-less abandoned mod for that (http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/1325-devious-traps-wip-19102014/ ), where if I understood correctly the two main issues were that hand-placing all traps was time-consuming, and the author wasn't able to reset them - they were truly one-shots.

Hand placing likely made them much more harder to notice, of course, but rune traps would be nice in Aela the Trapper's repertoire nonetheless.

Also, if you can check out the possibility of devious spellshooting-soulgem-traps, that would be great too. I don't really have the experience nor the knowledge to script/create something like that, but if it can be done and is not extremely complicated, then those could fire devious spells (for spells themselves there is also an already existing mod, http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2611-devious-magic-v16b-24052016/ ).

Thanks for the mod! :)

I haven't actually tried it yet, but I might do it later, and will definitely do it when it's out of TEST phase. I like the ideas. =)

One thing about this mod is the random placement of these traps, when you're taking your umpteenth character through a dungeon that you know like the back of your hand now this adds some spice to the play. That's the primary reason I play with Deviously Cursed Loot, it's not the same from game to game.

With how you've written it, you could add devious rune traps as well.

There is a more-or-less abandoned mod for that (http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/1325-devious-traps-wip-19102014/ ), where if I understood correctly the two main issues were that hand-placing all traps was time-consuming, and the author wasn't able to reset them - they were truly one-shots.

Hand placing likely made them much more harder to notice, of course, but rune traps would be nice in Aela the Trapper's repertoire nonetheless.

Also, if you can check out the possibility of devious spellshooting-soulgem-traps, that would be great too. I don't really have the experience nor the knowledge to script/create something like that, but if it can be done and is not extremely complicated, then those could fire devious spells (for spells themselves there is also an already existing mod, http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2611-devious-magic-v16b-24052016/ ).

Thanks for the mod! :)

I haven't actually tried it yet, but I might do it later, and will definitely do it when it's out of TEST phase. I like the ideas. =)

Yes rune traps are coming :) The soul gem traps should also be possible, ah Devious Magic...that's actually one of my mods :)

One thing about this mod is the random placement of these traps, when you're taking your umpteenth character through a dungeon that you know like the back of your hand now this adds some spice to the play. That's the primary reason I play with Deviously Cursed Loot, it's not the same from game to game.

I'm actually looking forward to running through bleakfalls barrow on my next restart. In fact, you could run through the same dungeon multiple times once I've got the extra enemy laying system sorted and it'd be different each time.

Not had chance to try this yet though it sounds awesome; love the idea of more traps and spicing dungeons up a bit but quick question; can the traps you've added be disabled the same as regular traps (bear trap for example) and by extension will it trigger cursed loot seeing as that can trigger off of traps?

The thought of spotting a bear trap; disabling it only for a cursed trap to trigger is highly amusing and devious and should make things interesting

Not had chance to try this yet though it sounds awesome; love the idea of more traps and spicing dungeons up a bit but quick question; can the traps you've added be disabled the same as regular traps (bear trap for example) and by extension will it trigger cursed loot seeing as that can trigger off of traps?

The thought of spotting a bear trap; disabling it only for a cursed trap to trigger is highly amusing and devious and should make things interesting

Well, what are you waiting for? Get it installed :)

The bear traps can be disabled, or at least you should be able to. The pressure plate type traps cannot be disabled and they ignore the LightFoot perk as well. I'm not sure if it will trigger a DCL event as they are custom beartraps, it depends on how Kimy has implemented that part of their mod.

****UPDATE****

I've now added the 1st part of giving the trap layer the ability to spawn extra mobs of enemies. There is also a new slider in the MCM to control the ratio of traps : enemy mobs. This allows you to turn traps off, turn mobs off or any kind of mixture inbetween that you want. Each mob spawned will be of a random composition and size.

I'd recommed something along the lines of 60 or 70% traps but really its entirely up to you how you want your dungeon filled. Be careful if you use settings that can create a lot of mobs. This might cause issues with large numbers of AI NPCs roaming around.

I've re-written the trap laying system slightly so that I can have themed traps and mobs based upon the area that you are in. This will stop things like Dwarven Spheres turing up in Draugr crypts or allow me to have only Dwarven pressure plates in Dwarven ruins. Should keep things more believable

Currently supported areas are

- Draugr Crypts

These areas will spawn Draugr, Spiders, Skeletons, Skeevers and the odd Chaurus

- Generic Dungeons

This area will currently only spawn spiders.

If you are not in one of these two types of areas then mobs won't currently spawn, but traps will.

****QUICK UPDATE****

Expanded the different types of area that the trap layer can now create enemy mobs. I've also added more types of enemy mobs. The following is a list of covered areas and their mob types...

Draugr Crypts

- Draugr

- Skeletons (including DLC variations)

- Bandit Ghosts (including ghost wolfs)

- Skeevers

- Spiders

- Chaurus

Dwarven Ruins

- Normal Spiders

- Skeevers

- Dwarven Spiders

- Dwarven Spheres

- Dwarven Centurions

- Dwarven Ballistas

Hagraven Nests

- Hagravens

- Spiders

- Skeevers

Animal Dens

- Bears

- Wolves

- Chaurus

- Trolls

- Skeevers

- Spiders

Other Default Dungeons

- Spiders

- Skeevers

Let me know if I've missed any suitable creature types out :)

Giants would be hilarious.

Yeah, that would be cool but I think they would get stuck into the level geometry far too often :(

Ummm Rieklings?

I don't know much about Rieklings...where would they appear?

Giants would be hilarious.

Yeah, that would be cool but I think they would get stuck into the level geometry far too often :(

Ummm Rieklings?

I don't know much about Rieklings...where would they appear?

Any icy cave (or other ruins perhaps) I would think. As many of the nordic ruins have sections of ice and snow, they would qualify as well.

Any icy cave (or other ruins perhaps) I would think. As many of the nordic ruins have sections of ice and snow, they would qualify as well.

Ah yes, just read up about them...caves and ruins would be valid places so I guess they can go animal caves, dwarven ruins and basic dungeons. Think I'll leave them out of the Draugr Crypts...that area already has plenty of stuff in them.

Seems very interesting, though some  overlap with DCUR events. Do you recommend either/or, but noth both?

I don't really think there is much of an overlap. Deviously Cursed Loot deals with a random chance of a trap when looting something such as a chest or a dead person. My mod deals with placing actual trap triggers e.g. beartraps, pressure plates etc.

My traps are designed to be visible, to some degree, and avoidable to keep you on your toes, DCL is random...you'll either trigger a trap or you won't, there is no avoiding it. It works for looting as who knows if someone has placed a trap inside a chest until you open it.

I'd recommend both. I use DCL myself as it is such a great mod. I turn a lot of stuff off like combat surrender and Leon/Leah etc as all I really wanted was trapped loot, but the two mods should work well together (I kind of planned it that way :) )

I like the idea of "delayed action" traps. You think you got away clean but as you haul your loot back to the entrance for a trip to town you discover that there's a horde of something waiting to welcome you in what you thought should be cleared dungeon.

My exact same thoughts :) It would also add an extra challenge for those who "kite" enemies while walking backwards. You're never going to be too sure whether a new enemy might have appeared behind you. 

Although there is nothing I hate more than enemies spawning behind you, so I would have to be careful how I implemented it.

So out of curiosity, which traps use the bear traps? I've had the lightfoot perk for a good long while on my current character.

There are only two bear traps. The Poisoned Bear Trap and the Devious Bear Trap. These are the only ones where the Lightfoot perk will save you, all the others will activate even if you have that perk.

My thoughts were that slave hunters would have the motivation and resources to set a cage trap. Destination could be simple slavery, captured dreams, slave run, i even remember hearing that there is a slave start for mias lair out there someplace.

I'll see what I can do, the problem with the cage is it is quite a large object which might cause problems in small areas. An easier solution would be to have a trap that binds the player to the spot and then the Slave Hunters come back and see what they have caught triggering Simple Slavery.

Slave hunter trap.. sounds awesome!

My only issue is will it be too disruptive? I (personally) don't like things in my game that disrupt me from actually playing the game as it was meant to be played. Having some kind of punishment for not seeing a trap etc is fine, as long as you have a chance to recover from it or it doesn't impede your progress too much.

Getting sold into Simple Slavery could disrupt your game for a very long time and, for me, that wouldn't be fun. 

Simply Slavery can sell them to all of them and many more, that way this mod needs only to target one mod and the user can decide which additional mods he wants to have.

Seems like everyone wants to get sold as a slave

I would think some of the zaz cages are small enough to spawn any where. A chance to lockpick your way out before the slavers check the trap could make it a little more sporting.

For slave hunters I once had the idea I was going to make a slave hunter faction with their own spells and weapons. Things that impair the PC till resistance is imposable. I never got it off the ground but devious magic looks like it has some great effects for them. Then they could be spawned as an ambush so if is escapable.

Reiklings tend to hang out in Solstheim, but I for one wouldn't mind seeing them crop up in Skyrim proper. There are quite a few Reikling animations that I never experience because I don't go out to Solstheim to do the Dragonborn missions very often (or ever).

That was one of the things I really wanted to achieve, have more varied enemies in the vanilla dungeons. There are quite a few enemy types in the DLC that I've never seen before because I've never got that far.

For slave hunters I once had the idea I was going to make a slave hunter faction with their own spells and weapons. Things that impair the PC till resistance is imposable. I never got it off the ground but devious magic looks like it has some great effects for them. Then they could be spawned as an ambush so if is escapable.I would think some of the zaz cages are small enough to spawn any where. A chance to lockpick your way out before the slavers check the trap could make it a little more sporting.

I'll check out the zaz cages...didn't know they existed :)

I think some way of escaping would be a good idea, I'll see what I can produce :)

This sounds pretty cool, though can I request a non-spider version? Or maybe some collab with Insects Begone? Bit of an arachnophobe.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26468/

I'm not sure if I'll be able to give an option to remove spiders easily, but I'll see what I can do....so you probably won't like some of the events I had planned, especially the one where lots of little (but harmless) spiders drop from the ceiling? :)

While this mod is very interesting (like of all of yours!) there's already mods that increase/add spawns (though the random traps is nice). It'd be more awesome if you went down the zany scenes/scenarios around the traps, things like summoning guardian ghosts to fuck you and followers, hypnotizing followers to tie you up, change body shape, sending you into dreams where you have to service an innful of people to escape etc.

While this mod is very interesting (like of all of yours!) there's already mods that increase/add spawns (though the random traps is nice). It'd be more awesome if you went down the zany scenes/scenarios around the traps, things like summoning guardian ghosts to fuck you and followers, hypnotizing followers to tie you up, change body shape, sending you into dreams where you have to service an innful of people to escape etc.

They're coming, don't worry. I just wanted to sort out the enemy spawning 1st as that was something I really wanted for myself.

I shall then be applying myself to the creation of bizarre and devious traps!

****UPDATE TIME****

Added Falmer Hive, Mines and Bandit themed areas with suitable mobs. 

Added various "spirit traps". These traps release a spirit to attack your player. You will have a random amount of time to defeat the spirit before it gains enough strength to have its way with you. This repeats until you have defeated the spirit. These traps only trigger once and then are destroyed.

Spirits currently include Draugr, Wolves, Spiders, Trolls and Werewolves

This is strictly female right?

I'm not making any specific gender checks so, as long as animations/devices exists for male characters, then it should work for all :)

This is strictly female right?

I'm not making any specific gender checks so, as long as animations/devices exists for male characters, then it should work for all :)

But will my male character get raped? He's straight and prefers to keep it that way, lol.

Ah I see....I guess I might have add an option to turn them off :)

Spirit trap is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for in Skyrim mods. Between a chance to avoid dealing with it (by spotting the trap early enough) and having a way to end combat without the player having to 'die', this is great.

Here's hoping to some more alternate methods of ending combat in the future, from both this mod and others.

Spirit trap is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for in Skyrim mods. Between a chance to avoid dealing with it (by spotting the trap early enough) and having a way to end combat without the player having to 'die', this is great.

Here's hoping to some more alternate methods of ending combat in the future, from both this mod and others.

Yeah, I like giving the player the ability to deal with the problem...and then a punishment if they don't. I was actually thinking of changing the random timer to a loss of stamina. Once your stamina hits 0 then you're done. This would give a visual feedback (due to your stamina bar dropping) plus also the ability to use stamina potions to increase your survival rate (which would also give a reason to carry those potions) as well as higher level characters being more durable.

Not 100% sure whether I'll change it, but certainly going to look into that mechanic. 

[...] ah Devious Magic...that's actually one of my mods :)

Whoops, didn't check that. ^^'

Anyway, thanks for creating these mods, and I'm eagerly awaiting updates. =)

Have fun, and have a good day!

I might even finish it one day :)