[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

So I just realized I have a problem with the 0.88 Version. Pretty much every Weapon I equip has a huge negative damage value which is related to this mod I think. I also got the skill level -123123123,123123 thing in the ui for Archery, Block and Two Handed. not for the One Handed skill but it still makes the weapons damage value negative. I also don't have any lingering curse effects on me, or at least they don't show up in the active magic effects tab. 

So I tried setting my skill values with setactorvalue but it did nothing for the damage values of the weapons or the skill value in the overview UI. The actual value of the skill is still there though and shows when you zoom in on a perk tree to learn a perk. 

Is this known? Is there any fix? If not what do you need to track it down? I don't think I can just upgrade to the 0.90 Version and everything will be fine? 

Help is greatly appreciated. 

Use:  player.restoreactorvalue xxx 1000000               (where xxx is of course the skill that's broken).

I'm afraid this skill bug is what's keeping me from running Traps... now.  It's too easy for skills/damage modifiers to be quietly broken.  Not sure why it's happening though... but I'd sure like any damaging effects to show up in the "current effects" page of the UI (whatever that's called, where damaging effects usually show up red).

Use:  player.restoreactorvalue xxx 1000000               (where xxx is of course the skill that's broken).

I'm afraid this skill bug is what's keeping me from running Traps... now.  It's too easy for skills/damage modifiers to be quietly broken.  Not sure why it's happening though... but I'd sure like any damaging effects to show up in the "current effects" page of the UI (whatever that's called, where damaging effects usually show up red).

Ah thanks, so it's not player.setactorvalue but player.restoreactorvalue. Gonna try that right away. 

And yes. It would surely be a nice feature for those to show up. I mean the curses do so I guess the lasting reduction is a bug either way. 

@JimmyJimJim

I'm gonna keep an eye on the trap effects and the skill reductions... Anything I should do to help you hunt down the bug? I really like your mod and have a sweet setup with Scent of Sex so I want to help as much as I can. 

Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! :) the complete merge of devious magic with Traps, pitfalls and Dangerous things

Its coming! :)

How about cursed spell books? When I play a mage character I always read all the spell books I found to learn new spells. A cursed spell book could have a usual name but instead of learning a new spell ...

Cracking idea...hadn't thought of that :)

Hey, one issue I noticed, if the player gets locked in devious devices, is stripped naked, or is otherwise vulnerable, and Deviously Enslaved Continued is installed, the trap layer will approach the PC for slavery/rape.  This can be resolved by putting a ZaZ or DD collar on the trap layer, or partially resolved by changing the trap layer's relationship to the PC to friend or higher (although this can be overridden in the DEC MCM relationship approach settings).  There might be other ways to stop the layer from approaching, but I'm not sure.

Hmmm....shouldn't really happen as the trap layer is no longer human, it's a wisp. Unless wisps are also effect by Deviously Enslave Continued. Are you on the latest version as the old version is human?

Ah thanks, so it's not player.setactorvalue but player.restoreactorvalue. Gonna try that right away. 

And yes. It would surely be a nice feature for those to show up. I mean the curses do so I guess the lasting reduction is a bug either way. 

@JimmyJimJim

I'm gonna keep an eye on the trap effects and the skill reductions... Anything I should do to help you hunt down the bug? I really like your mod and have a sweet setup with Scent of Sex so I want to help as much as I can. 

I do have a fix where on spell effect end it restores your actor value automatically. I don't know why it doesn't do it automatically. I just need to add it in the script so will do an update shortly.

***UPDATE***

The stuck actor values should now be fixed. Seems I forgot to tick the "recover" tick box on the spell effect which will automatically restore the values to their original amounts. :)

I do have a fix where on spell effect end it restores your actor value automatically. I don't know why it doesn't do it automatically. I just need to add it in the script so will do an update shortly.

***UPDATE***

The stuck actor values should now be fixed. Seems I forgot to tick the "recover" tick box on the spell effect which will automatically restore the values to their original amounts. smile.png

Fantastic!  Will try it very soon, I've really been missing this mod while waiting for this fix.

But in your opening post, JimmyJimJim, would you mind editing it to tell people to use player.restoreactorvalue xxx 1000000 (NOT setactorvalue)?  The former is the correct command, the latter will make things worse (but in a new way!).

Fantastic!  Will try it very soon, I've really been missing this mod while waiting for this fix.

But in your opening post, JimmyJimJim, would you mind editing it to tell people to use player.restoreactorvalue xxx 1000000 (NOT setactorvalue)?  The former is the correct command, the latter will make things worse (but in a new way!).

Good point....done! :)

Any plans on returning Sexlab functionality to the mod in the future?

Most definitely, especially with the new cursed spell books.... :)

Awesome. Officially petitioning the return of spirit guard traps to their former kinkiness.

Where do i sign ? :P

Awesome. Officially petitioning the return of spirit guard traps to their former kinkiness.

Where do i sign ? :P

Dotted line: ...................................................................

Having trouble guessing from the ESP data what I can use to detect when TPD is busy and DEC shouldn't interfere.

I haven't gotten a chance to play with the game yet so I don't know from experience when DEC can mess with your mod. Just from the description the names of the quests don't look like I can use them for detection purposes (don't want to dig for stages to avoid spoilers) magic effects and factions aren't obvious either.

It would be great if you could just use the DHLP system in your mod since it tells lots of other devious mods when your mod is busy and should not interfere with other mods. It's just two mod events and doesn't require any other mod to work.

bool Property dhlpSuspendStatus Auto Conditional ; 'saved state so we always have it'
Event OnInit()
  ; 'Note: you can name the output functions for the mod event anything you want'
  ; '_OnSuspend_ is just what I chose for readability'
  RegisterForModEvent("dhlp-Suspend", "OnSuspend")
  RegisterForModEvent("dhlp-Resume", "OnResume")
endEvent

; 'Deviously Helpless suspend system'
; 'These functions catch if other mods throw the mod events, so you can catch them in realtime'
Event OnSuspend(string eventName, string strArg, float numArg, Form sender)
  dhlpSuspendStatus = true
EndEvent
Event OnResume(string eventName, string strArg, float numArg, Form sender)
  dhlpSuspendStatus = false
EndEvent

; 'These functions allow you to set the DHLP busy status from your end'
;  'just don_t forget to release the lock when you_re done using it'
function dhlpSuspend()
  dhlpSuspendStatus = true
  SendModEvent("dhlp-Suspend")
endFunction
function dhlpResume()
  dhlpSuspendStatus = false
  SendModEvent("dhlp-Resume")
endFunction
  • 1 month later...

Where's out devious potions Jim ? Stop updating Sexist Guard and come here !  :)

Well don't stop updating Sexist Guard i use that too :)

I need a cloning machine! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Do you have any guesses or ideas about why the traplayer creates untriggerable rune traps?

When it places it, I can see the whole rune properly, but it is then in fact below the ground.

I can see a bit of shimmering light, the "top" of the rune effect (more pronounced on some runes than others), but walking, continuous (flames) and explosive (fireball) spellcasting does not trigger it.

I most certainly do not have a good testing environment, and I haven't tested it extensively, I speak mostly of normal during-gameplay experiences.

I do remember runes working properly on previous versions - I know there has been a relatively big general rewrite of the codes though, and I haven't tried it out on too many areas. I also might have messed up something else entirely, though I don't remember messing much with my Skyrim recently. It did happen enough for me to ask here though.

Thanks for any insight, though I can accept if the conclusion is that I should properly reinstall my skyrim and all the mods. xd

(I don't think I'll do that soon though, I'm still hoping SkyrimSE will start to live properly now that there is a testable SKSE alpha.)

I think there should/could be an option for the trap-triggered devious devices to be permanent instead of temporary.

I'm thinking an MCM slider of the chance to be permanent instead of the randomroll between the min-max mcm time-parameters.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm here!

Been busy with real life and also updating Sexist Guards which is now working really well with the new traits system.

I haven't actually played Skyrim for a while and the usual thing happened where I came across a few interesting mods and once again I restarted from scratch. It wasn't till I got to Bleakfalls Barrow (again!) to get the Golden Claw (AGAIN!) that I got surprised by this mod! I came across a desiccated corpse in the 1st room and thought "Hello...I don't remember this being here before..." before looting it and getting ambushed by some spiders and thinking "What....oh yes! Traps & Pitfalls! Really must update that mod!"

So, anyway....it is now time to do some updating.

I am just working on the framework to dynamically distribute cursed items throughout the dungeons. I see this as either working with Deviously Cursed Loot or as an alternative. There will be no RNG at work, just suspiciously tempting things like tempered armour and weapons, or maybe a rare gem etc that looks too good to be true.

It'll be up to you if you decide to pick it up or try it on as there will also be a chance that it isn't cursed and maybe you'll get something super cool!

I will also be re-integrating Sexlab back into the mod so sexy encounters will be back!

I'm here!

Been busy with real life and also updating Sexist Guards which is now working really well with the new traits system.

I haven't actually played Skyrim for a while and the usual thing happened where I came across a few interesting mods and once again I restarted from scratch. It wasn't till I got to Bleakfalls Barrow (again!) to get the Golden Claw (AGAIN!) that I got surprised by this mod! I came across a desiccated corpse in the 1st room and thought "Hello...I don't remember this being here before..." before looting it and getting ambushed by some spiders and thinking "What....oh yes! Traps & Pitfalls! Really must update that mod!"

So, anyway....it is now time to do some updating.

I am just working on the framework to dynamically distribute cursed items throughout the dungeons. I see this as either working with Deviously Cursed Loot or as an alternative. There will be no RNG at work, just suspiciously tempting things like tempered armour and weapons, or maybe a rare gem etc that looks too good to be true.

It'll be up to you if you decide to pick it up or try it on as there will also be a chance that it isn't cursed and maybe you'll get something super cool!

I will also be re-integrating Sexlab back into the mod so sexy encounters will be back!

Yes !!!! Jim is back on traps and pitfalls :) :) and reintegrating the sexlabs !

YAY!!!  I'm so happy, Jim's here!  Please, good sir, please reintegrate with SL, post haste!

Edit:  Pertaining to Deviously Cursed Loot, if I may suggest to perhaps polling your user base in either replacing or working with it.  Personally, I'd prefer the latter as DCL does much more than the just the cursed loot.

Edited by OlBenny

YAY!!!  I'm so happy, Jim's here!  Please, good sir, please reintegrate with SL, post haste!

Edit:  Pertaining to Deviously Cursed Loot, if I may suggest to perhaps polling your user base in either replacing or working with it.  Personally, I'd prefer the latter as DCL does much more than the just the cursed loot.

I probably didn't word that very well. It will work with DCL or you can use it as an alternative to it. DCL works on a random number generator to decide if containers are trapped. If the RNG says you get hit with a trap then you get hit with a trap! It's a good way of doing it but you don't have much say in it actually happening other than not opening any containers.

This mod will work slightly differently as it will be the items within the container that could be cursed or trapped. It will be up to you to decide if to take the risk of equipping or using the the item. Therefore it is perfectly conceivable that yo'll find a pair of Legendary Steel Boots in Bleakfalls Barrow and know they are out of place. You can take the risk and equip them (you might get away with it!), take them and sell them or, if you're feeling devious, give them to your companion!

If you want to make life really difficult for yourself then of course you can use both, I would never limit anyone from using one or the other, and of course you'll be able to turn this part of the mod off through the MCM.

I am curious how well this mod plays with http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/4346-deadly-traps-and-curses/ maybe you guys wanna combine the projects as both mod are similar yet different.

They should work just fine with each other, I don't see a need to combine them at all. :)

I prefer working with devious curesed loot as a complement.  Both mods is different enough that i can use them together

Of course you can, I didn't word it very well. See above :)