[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

8 minutes ago, _Phoe_ said:

There was a mod with cursed equip some day. But it feels like it calculated the curse everytime you equipped an item - even you had it before installing the mod. The main-curse was, that the equipment transformed in a devious device of the same type. An armor transformed in a harness, gauntlets into armbinders and so on. There were more curses, but I dont remember them.

Could well have been my Devious Magic mod as that had armour that would replace itself with a devious device depending on what type of armour it was. E.g. Boots would turn into Slave boots, bracers would turn into arm cuffs etc :smiley:

54 minutes ago, JimmyJimJim said:

Could well have been my Devious Magic mod as that had armour that would replace itself with a devious device depending on what type of armour it was. E.g. Boots would turn into Slave boots, bracers would turn into arm cuffs etc :smiley:

I liked the idea. But it bugged me, that the cursed items didn't get some kind of hidden cursed-id, when you find them. So the mod wouldn't have to calculate every time you equipped the items. I removed the mod from my play because items that were save, because I had them before, weren't save anymore.

9 hours ago, JimmyJimJim said:

So now all I need to do is think up some suitable curses. Suggestions welcome...

Definitely a cool sounding system.

Few random curse ideas (most of these are pretty heavy on the fancy mod work required, but perhaps a few may be worth looking at):

Ventriloquist - chance that when you speak to an NPC, your character will be forced to say something outlandish or rude.  NPC reacts accordingly (making fun of the player, triggering a sex scene, calling the guard, initiating a brawl).  Could be anything from the player saying "I'm a slut, please take me!" to "Your father was a hamster and your mother smells of Elderberries!".

Wabbajack - chance on taking damage to spawn a random pack of critters - chickens/goats/skeevers ect.  Small chance to trigger the wabbajack effect on the enemy damaging you.

Growth - curse randomly causes the character's breasts/butt to grow over time until the curse is broken or they become comically huge.  Could also cause scaling combat debuffs.

Hircine - spawns a ghostly pack of wolves or werewolves/werebears to assist the player.  However, periodically when out of combat the player is required to service any currently active pack members (possibly using some of Billyy's 3p animations as well for variety).  If the player refuses, the pack turns on the player.

Vaermina - chance on sleeping or while out of combat to enter a dream/nightmare - teleports the player to a small detached cell to deal with a short scene.  Could be a horny creature/npc clone, a fight, or something silly.  Once scene is completed player is wakes up and is back where they started.

8 hours ago, JimmyJimJim said:

... revealing their curse and renaming themselves e.g. Iron Armour will rename itself Iron Armour of [Some Curse Name]...

What all can you rename or change? It would be super cool if you could, for example:

• Place an Iron Dagger in a chest, but double it's value
  • Slightly mis-spell the name of a valuable item (Iron Armar of Warding)
  • Make a heavy item weigh significantly less (Banded Armor that weighs as little as a dagger)

The intent being to try to trick unwary players into taking items that arn't what they expect them to be :}

18 hours ago, _Phoe_ said:

I liked the idea. But it bugged me, that the cursed items didn't get some kind of hidden cursed-id, when you find them. So the mod wouldn't have to calculate every time you equipped the items. I removed the mod from my play because items that were save, because I had them before, weren't save anymore.

Ah yes, the random element was somewhat evil :smile: and was actually an inspiration for this mod where it doesn't use RNG to determine outcomes.

11 hours ago, Reesewow said:

Definitely a cool sounding system.

Few random curse ideas (most of these are pretty heavy on the fancy mod work required, but perhaps a few may be worth looking at):

Ventriloquist - chance that when you speak to an NPC, your character will be forced to say something outlandish or rude.  NPC reacts accordingly (making fun of the player, triggering a sex scene, calling the guard, initiating a brawl).  Could be anything from the player saying "I'm a slut, please take me!" to "Your father was a hamster and your mother smells of Elderberries!".

Wabbajack - chance on taking damage to spawn a random pack of critters - chickens/goats/skeevers ect.  Small chance to trigger the wabbajack effect on the enemy damaging you.

Growth - curse randomly causes the character's breasts/butt to grow over time until the curse is broken or they become comically huge.  Could also cause scaling combat debuffs.

Hircine - spawns a ghostly pack of wolves or werewolves/werebears to assist the player.  However, periodically when out of combat the player is required to service any currently active pack members (possibly using some of Billyy's 3p animations as well for variety).  If the player refuses, the pack turns on the player.

Vaermina - chance on sleeping or while out of combat to enter a dream/nightmare - teleports the player to a small detached cell to deal with a short scene.  Could be a horny creature/npc clone, a fight, or something silly.  Once scene is completed player is wakes up and is back where they started.

Good ideas there...not sure whether I'll be able to include them or not but good ideas none the less :smile:

10 hours ago, Wuumaster said:

What all can you rename or change? It would be super cool if you could, for example:

• Place an Iron Dagger in a chest, but double it's value
  • Slightly mis-spell the name of a valuable item (Iron Armar of Warding)
  • Make a heavy item weigh significantly less (Banded Armor that weighs as little as a dagger)

The intent being to try to trick unwary players into taking items that arn't what they expect them to be :}

Tricking people into picking stuff up is definitely the way I want it to work :smile:

Currently, if the item is cursed then you won't know about it till you equip the item. So the Iron Armor sitting in the bandit's chest would just be called Iron Armor.

When you pick it up it would still be called "Iron Armour" in you inventory. However, when you equip it then the curse will take effect and suddenly you'll be wearing the Iron Armour of Vaermina (as an example from the comment above) and unable to remove it. The curse of Vaermina would then only take effect when certain conditions are met and the cursed item would eventually crumble to dust (or something) after a set amount of time or once its supply of magicka had expired.

To lure people to wear the armour in the 1st place you could mess with its tempering level or perhaps add beneficial enchantments.

1 hour ago, JimmyJimJim said:

Ah yes, the random element was somewhat evil :smile: and was actually an inspiration for this mod where it doesn't use RNG to determine outcomes.

Good ideas there...not sure whether I'll be able to include them or not but good ideas none the less :smile:

Tricking people into picking stuff up is definitely the way I want it to work :smile:

It would be nice to have that curses again =) but not RNG at putting them on... only RNG by finding them... and no warning before putting them on

2 hours ago, _Phoe_ said:

It would be nice to have that curses again =) but not RNG at putting them on... only RNG by finding them... and no warning before putting them on

No, there won't be any RNG. An item will either be cursed or not.

Here are some curses that I've thought of that should be simple enough to produce quickly...

...of  Disease
Applies a random disease to the player at random intervals.

...of  Homeward Bound
Randomly sends an equipped item back to your home chest.

...of  Poverty
Any carried gold will be slowly lost over time.

...of  The Hound
Spawns in a ghostly horny hound...

...of Reanimation
Randomly reanimates any corpses nearby and sends them into a fury.

...of  Electrocution
Randomly electrocutes your character but also applies a Lightning Cloak for a short duration

...of  Paralysis
Randomly paralyses your character.

Curses can be cured by creating a cure curse potion at any cooking pot for a lot of gold or maybe at any shrine after performing some kind of ritual.

3 hours ago, JimmyJimJim said:

To lure people to wear the armour in the 1st place you could mess with its tempering level or perhaps add beneficial enchantments.

Enchantments sound like something that are more likely to cause a player to notice the item and use it, I know I'm pretty much blind to the raw stats of gear at this point.  Gold value probably wouldn't be a good lure because a player would just carry it until they sell it.

Very secondary idea would be for a small percentage of the cursed item pool to not actually be cursed.  Just so that even when the player is fully aware that the item they found is probably from this mod... it just *might* be the real deal and not convert to a cursed item.  That way if an item is outlandishly good.... the player may still think the gamble is worth it.

As for curse removal, the idea of the curses simply having a limited time before the armor crumbles sounds great.  I really enjoy mods like Estrus Chaurus+ where a mistake or bad luck causes you to have to deal with a minor inconvenience for a period of time, and the time locked cursed collars from DCUL are some of my favorite items from that mod.  As long as the curses aren't something that heavily interferes with gameplay then they become fun modifiers for the next few hours of the game.  I think player control over the average duration of cursed items via MCM menu would be a great feature as well.

1 hour ago, Reesewow said:

Enchantments sound like something that are more likely to cause a player to notice the item and use it, I know I'm pretty much blind to the raw stats of gear at this point.  Gold value probably wouldn't be a good lure because a player would just carry it until they sell it.

Very secondary idea would be for a small percentage of the cursed item pool to not actually be cursed.  Just so that even when the player is fully aware that the item they found is probably from this mod... it just *might* be the real deal and not convert to a cursed item.  That way if an item is outlandishly good.... the player may still think the gamble is worth it.

As for curse removal, the idea of the curses simply having a limited time before the armor crumbles sounds great.  I really enjoy mods like Estrus Chaurus+ where a mistake or bad luck causes you to have to deal with a minor inconvenience for a period of time, and the time locked cursed collars from DCUL are some of my favorite items from that mod.  As long as the curses aren't something that heavily interferes with gameplay then they become fun modifiers for the next few hours of the game.  I think player control over the average duration of cursed items via MCM menu would be a great feature as well.

I shall be trying to make the curses interesting with possible benefits as well as downsides. Some items may also not be cursed at all and may be, as you say, the real deal :smile:

At the moment all cursed items have a 25% chance of crumbling when the curse is triggered. I will add some MCM menu options to adjust this as well as how often curses trigger.

1 hour ago, _Phoe_ said:

I ment the curse of mimics - will it be integrated in future updates?

Yes, mimic curses will be in this mod :smile:

***UPDATE***

The 1st wave of cursed cuirass armour is now in the mod and these will be distributed randomly around any dungeon that you enter. They are indistinguishable from normal armour, apart from possibly having temptingly high tempering levels, until you equip it. At this point the curse will reveal itself and the armour will be renamed to show the curse type. To get rid of the curse you'll need unequip the armour (if you can) or wait for it to naturally disintegrate (there's a 25% chance it will when the curse next activates).

I will add some MCM options to control the disintegrate chance and how often curses will trigger. I shall also be adding some recipes to craft cursed item removal potions.

More ideas of curses.

Curse of arousal.

Arousal is slowly increases. Nice with cursed loot.

Curse of Devious Locking

In random period of time devious device appeared and get locked on character

Curse of Lost Key

In random period of time some devious keys dissapears from inventory

Curse of Inagility

Character get chance to drop weapon on attack

Curse of Attraction

Everybody refuse to talk with PC until she remove her clothes

Curse of Maid

Character forced to wear Maid Clothes (may be only in town or tavern, requires some maid clothes mod)

Curse of Gagging

Character gets chance to be gagged when trying to talk

20 hours ago, Reesewow said:

Would work best with soft dependancy to milk mod because there you get debuffs depending on how big your breasts are/how much milk is in them.

Or growth curse as you proposed, and the milk curse standalone that would stimulate milk production and make char into a high-level milk maid?

Maybe also part of curse where a char's breasts get to a certain size she would be unable to wear armor and only clothes?

5 hours ago, JimmyJimJim said:

...of  Disease

Applies a random disease to the player at random intervals.

Excellent idea, but I wonder about possible conflicts with the mod Diseased.

5 hours ago, JimmyJimJim said:

...of  Paralysis

Randomly paralyses your character.

Would it be possible to make the character potentionally automatically ravishable by any sexlab compatibles? In a way something like defeat after player is defeated... the player would be found paralyzed and the npc would decide to use the char based on either a percentage or that responsibility mechanic?

I really like this new curse system you are employing, keep up the good work!

On 3/1/2018 at 10:17 AM, JimmyJimJim said:

Currently, if the item is cursed then you won't know about it till you equip the item. So the Iron Armor sitting in the bandit's chest would just be called Iron Armor.  

Ah, I was kinda hoping grabbing a cursed item would just activate as soon as you closed the container. I find I very rarely find anything worth equip while exploring, and anything that looked extra good would probably just raise my suspicions. Instead I'm generally looking for stuff with good value/weight ratios and potential enchantments I can strip off to learn.

Is it feasable to do some of the things I mentioned? Maybe it might be worth looking into as a side option, or a separate mod. I'd try to sick Feliks on it, but he's got his hands full of Rubber and who knows what else for now.

18 hours ago, ssonly said:

What about trap that curse armor that PC wearing ?

It's a good idea, but I can already hear people complaining that there super duper armour set just got cursed with something terrible and they've had to restart! :smiley:

2 hours ago, Wuumaster said:

Ah, I was kinda hoping grabbing a cursed item would just activate as soon as you closed the container. I find I very rarely find anything worth equip while exploring, and anything that looked extra good would probably just raise my suspicions. Instead I'm generally looking for stuff with good value/weight ratios and potential enchantments I can strip off to learn.

Is it feasable to do some of the things I mentioned? Maybe it might be worth looking into as a side option, or a separate mod. I'd try to sick Feliks on it, but he's got his hands full of Rubber and who knows what else for now.

The armour will be tempting and there will be a chance that it won't be cursed at all or that the curse isn't actually that bad. Not all curses are designed to be terrible, some will just be a slight disadvantage that you can probably live depending on the benefits of the armour  :smiley: 

You'll also never really be able to spot a cursed item due to its tempering level and/or enchantments as they are totally random. You will get armour that is amazing and instantly suspicious but also you'll get some middle of the road armour which, I suspect, will catch you out eventually unless you only ever craft your own armour and never use armour found lying around a dungeon :smile: , but that's the whole fun of the mod. There is no RNG deciding whether an item is cursed or not - it either is or it isn't and it is up to you to decide whether to take the risk or not. Mix in other mods such as Loot and Degradation which distributes much more enchanted and tempered armour into the world and you're going to have real trouble spotting anything.

Of course, we're only talking about armour here which makes sense to only activate on equipping, there will also be other items that activate their curses on touch such as gems, soul gems, gold etc etc

42 minutes ago, JimmyJimJim said:

It's a good idea, but I can already hear people complaining that there super duper armour set just got cursed with something terrible and they've had to restart! :smiley:

42 minutes ago, JimmyJimJim said:

Of course, we're only talking about armour here which makes sense to only activate on equipping, there will also be other items that activate their curses on touch such as gems, soul gems, gold etc etc

As a mcm option ? it would be fun

Yes, gold, soul gem, gem... music to my ears Feed me more :smile:

This is a purely selfish request because I'm using the midas touch functionality from Player Exhibitionist which I've set to delete all armor and weapon drops from chests, boxes and so on to make my playthrough harder, but would it be possible to also put curses on drops like health potions, money, rings, necklaces and the like?

ssonly's idea to curse worn armor would be workable if there was an NPC that would be able to remove the curse from the armor. Maybe later a quest to find this NPC and persuade him to help?

I also have another idea: something along the lines of Corruption of champions where upon equipping a cursed armor it turns into a nipple chain or nipple rings that would block armor and clothing slot and have other effects/curses and would be impossible to remove for a while (maybe by hijacking DD's functionality of locking DD stuff for a set amount of time?).

I tried the latest version of the mod and found few things:

Bug: the cursed armor cannot be unequipped, but can be dropped. Also there seems to be a spare armor appearing out of nowhere as well (once the curse is revealed)

I used a new save to see how compatible it is with all the other mods I use, I teleported to one of the dwemer dungeons, while in most cases I would not expect lvl 4 characters go in those, I noticed that some trap spawned 2x lvl 30 dwemer centurions... who are a bit too powerful for my level :smiley: While it might be my fault completely going in there at lvl 4, it could also mean that some traps might need their numbers tweaked so they don't spawn monsters way over the player level.

2 hours ago, tuxagent7 said:

As a mcm option ? it would be fun

Yes, gold, soul gem, gem... music to my ears Feed me more :smile:

Well, maybe as a MCM option....I'll have to have a look at it :smile:

1 hour ago, user9120975435 said:

This is a purely selfish request because I'm using the midas touch functionality from Player Exhibitionist which I've set to delete all armor and weapon drops from chests, boxes and so on to make my playthrough harder, but would it be possible to also put curses on drops like health potions, money, rings, necklaces and the like?

ssonly's idea to curse worn armor would be workable if there was an NPC that would be able to remove the curse from the armor. Maybe later a quest to find this NPC and persuade him to help?

I also have another idea: something along the lines of Corruption of champions where upon equipping a cursed armor it turns into a nipple chain or nipple rings that would block armor and clothing slot and have other effects/curses and would be impossible to remove for a while (maybe by hijacking DD's functionality of locking DD stuff for a set amount of time?).

Yes, curse can be put on pretty much anything. There are already health potions then when consumed will apply a curse :smile: Rings and necklaces are also on the table. In fact, pretty much everything could carry a curse :smiley:

I did think about having some kind of craft-able potions that will either remove the cursed item from you allowing you to dispose of it or remove the curse from the item allowing you to keep the benefits. Again this feeds back in to the risk/reward system. They would be expensive to craft though and perhaps there would also be some kind of risk involved too....maybe the curse manifests itself as a beast that you need to kill in order to claim the un-cursed version of the item?

23 hours ago, tuxagent7 said:

That is gold ! guardians of the curse

Yep...I've just put the 1st part of the frame work in for it. To uncurse your item you'll have to fight the guardian for it!

***NEW UPDATE***

Added a chance for cursed items to be enchanted.
Added a chance for cursed items to crumble when the curse activates

Added MCM options to control curse, temper, enchantment and crumble chances (yes, you can turn cursed items off altogether so you'll end up with more tempered and/or enchanted items distributed through the dungeons if you fancy rewards rather than punishments :smile: )

Added MCM options to control frequency of curse activations.

If you'd like to instantly spawn some cursed armour open the console and search for "_TAP". You should see a "_TAP Fur Armour" listed. Use the player.placeatme command to spawn one at your feet. DO NOT USE player.AddItem as the inventory blocks any scripts from running correctly!

You will now find Fur, Hide, Iron & Steel cursed armour. More to follow shortly.

26 minutes ago, tuxagent7 said:

I love theses words :smile:

Thank you Jim for all the hard work you do

Will it be differents beast/guardians that spawn ?

Yes, my idea is to select a random guardian who will fight you. If you win you'll find an uncursed version of the item in their inventory. You'll only have a certain amount of time tp defeat them before they vanish taking the item with them.

***QUICK UPDATE***

Added a few more curses...

Curse of Poverty -  A random amount of your carried gold will be lost.
Curse of Alarms -  A random detection event will occur alerting nearby enemies to your presence

Curse or Exhaustion - Your character will suffer a loss of stamina for a period of time

Curse of Feeble Mind - Your character will suffer a loss of magicka for a period of time

Curse of Death - Your character will suffer a long, but slow, drain of their health.

Curse of Disease - A random disease will be applied to your character. Should be compatible with other disease mods as I'm using vanilla diseases.