[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

Hi, I'm still having the -100000 value on some stats after dd traps...does it needs a new game start to fix?

Oooh...it shouldn't be happening any more, although I thought the reason it was happening was because I was setting the  strength of the spell too high. Maybe that wasn't the cause...I may have to add some code to try to force the original values.

Jim, do you think this would conflict with Traps Make Noise-31799-2-1 and WM Trap Fixes-55100-2-0b? I think these are part of the step install.

Don't know if your familiar with them, but was wondering if I should remove them if using your mod. Any thoughts?

I don't think they will conflict. I use Traps Make Noise myself and I think they only relate to the actual physical traps such as rock falls, rams and the like.

If I understand correctly, enemy spawns in Skyrim work something like this:

1. Mod decides to add an Easy, Medium, Hard or Boss enemy. Let's call this the "category".

2. Skyrim checks the player level, and scales the enemy accordingly: spawned_enemy_level = current_player_level * category_multiplier, where category_multiplier depends on the previous step. In this way, by default, an "Easy" enemy will scale to 1/3 the player's level, a "Medium" enemy scale to 2/3 the player's level, a "Hard" enemy will scale to exactly the player's level, and a "Boss" enemy will scale to 1.25 times the player's level. We're talking about NPC character level, which affects many things including health, stamina and magicka, and I think also damage output.

3. Skyrim checks the entry of the spawned enemy (e.g. "wolf" or "chaurus") to see if it has a minimum level specified. If, after the scaling in the previous step, its level would be lower than the minimum level, it bumps its level up to the minimum level. Even in vanilla Skyrim there are min levels, so this is not a mod-specific thing. However, in vanilla, min levels are generally low and so have less of an impact (iirc the min level for a chaurus in vanilla is only 12).

Some popular mods slightly adjust fLeveledActorMultEasy, fLeveledActorMultMedium, fLeveledActorMultHard, and fLeveledActorMultVeryHard, which are used in Step 2 as what I call the category_multiplier. This is not the issue.

Some popular mods adjust the min level of certain enemies, which are used in Step 3. I think this is the source of the issue, as the type (chaurus, troll, etc) of some monsters spawned by this mod can be associated with a high min level.

For example:

Player level is 10. Vanilla scaling. Skeever min level is 1. Troll min level is set by some realistic creatures mod to let's say 30.

Trap Layer mod decides to spawn a "Boss Skeever". Then the process goes:

1. "Boss" category, so using fLeveledActorMultVeryHard = 1.25.

2. Prepares to spawn a skeever scaled to 1.25 times the player level (10), so 1.25*10=12.

3. The "Skeever" entry has a min level of 1, and 12 meets this minimum, so it stays as 12.

--> "Boss Skeever" gets spawned as level 12, which is challenging but clearly beatable by our level 10 player.

Trap Layer mod decides to spawn an "Easy Troll". Then the process goes:

1. "Easy" category, so using fLeveledActorMultEasy = 0.33.

2. Prepares to spawn a troll scaled to 0.33 times the player level (10), so 0.33*10=3.

3. The "Troll" entry has a min level of 30, which is not met in the previous step, so now its level gets bumped up to the troll minimum level, which is 30.

--> "Easy Troll" gets spawned as level 30 and slaughters our level 10 player.

So having an MCM setting to adjust whether the spawned enemies are Easy, Medium, Hard or Boss would affect only Step 2, which is not where the problem is. The problem is that the type of the enemy matters (Skeever or Troll or Chaurus, etc) in Step 3.

I'm not very familiar with the creation kit and don't know exactly what is possible, but the ideal solution could be something like this:

Let's say your mod decides to place an enemy at a spot. The enemy would be normally a random choice between let's say "Medium Skeever", "Medium Wolf", "Medium Troll" or "Medium Chaurus". Check the current player level, and check the min level of the "Skeever", "Wolf", "Troll" and "Chaurus" entries. Let's say that the min level of "Skeever" and "Wolf" are lower than the current player level, but the min level of "Troll" and "Chaurus" are higher. Then spawn randomly either "Medium Skeever" or "Medium Wolf". I.e. exclude the difficult types of monsters from the pool of potential spawns until the player reaches an appropriately high level.

If this is not possible, then I suggest doing a check after spawning any enemy to see if their level is significantly higher than the player's, and if so delete them. Hobbling them by only setting their health low would not affect their damage output, and so they could probably always one-shot kill full health low-level characters, which would not be fun.

Thanks for looking into this. It is not just some weird issue with one weird mod, as e.g. the Realistic Animals and Predators mod has over a million downloads on Nexus, and it is just one of many popular mods that adjust min levels. So fixing this could help not just me but probably many others as well.

I think the easiest fix will be to delete if they are too high a level.

Was the MCM option for spirit guardians to immediately have sex with you removed?

Unfortunately it was removed as it relied on SexLab being installed. As far as I know there is no way to start a SexLab scene without a hard dependency, but it is possible someone will correct me there :)

Was the MCM option for spirit guardians to immediately have sex with you removed?

Unfortunately it was removed as it relied on SexLab being installed. As far as I know there is no way to start a SexLab scene without a hard dependency, but it is possible someone will correct me there :)

So do they not have sex with you at all anymore?

I get that you removed the devious devices dependancy because its not everyone that like thoses mods but remove sexlabs dependancy ? Its like toast without butter, i think everyone in loverlabs have that framework installed

I get that you removed the devious devices dependancy because its not everyone that like thoses mods but remove sexlabs dependancy ? Its like toast without butter, i think everyone in loverlabs have that framework installed

Yeah, I'm waiting for MixedupJim's reply, but if this is the direction the mod is going it's pretty disappointing.

Yeah, I'm waiting for MixedupJim's reply, but if this is the direction the mod is going it's pretty disappointing.

Still there is great things coming in the mod like the devious potions

But i liked it when a guardian traps appeared to have a chance to instantly take my dragonborn by surprise

I believe that the next version of the Sexlab Framework will allow the use of events to start sex acts so that mods can be made without a Sexlab dependency.

When will that version be available? I have no idea, Ashal isn't motivated right now and frankly it's not a good idea to push so give him some time.

I have to agree, there are lots of other mods that make stuff go rapy rapy.

And while I have some trap variants in mind that I'd like to have (back) too, I don't think that should be the focus at the moment.

However working out the last kinks on the trap layer itself would be a huge milestone. Which might or might not be achieved at this point already, as an observer I cannot really tell exactly.

When the navigation works the 'sensible' choice would be to make sure that the mob spawns are balanced, that is nothing trivial.

After that you can go back to trap variety (and its own can of problems like the trap layer triggering its own rune traps).

Don't put the carriage in front of the horse :o

Ha, maybe I did go too far :P It was just such a small part of the mod I didn't think anyone would care that much :) but, well I guess everyone here is because of SexLab so having that as a hard dependency isn't really an issue.

Still there is great things coming in the mod like the devious potions

But i liked it when a guardian traps appeared to have a chance to instantly take my dragonborn by surprise

:)

I believe that the next version of the Sexlab Framework will allow the use of events to start sex acts so that mods can be made without a Sexlab dependency.

When will that version be available? I have no idea, Ashal isn't motivated right now and frankly it's not a good idea to push so give him some time.

That would be awesome :)

I'm kinda ok with trap monsters not starting sex scenes, I mean its hard to walk 10 steps without getting raped as it is lol.

That was kind of my feeling really especially as mods such as submit or defeat could handle the rape once beaten side of things.

I have to agree, there are lots of other mods that make stuff go rapy rapy.

And while I have some trap variants in mind that I'd like to have (back) too, I don't think that should be the focus at the moment.

However working out the last kinks on the trap layer itself would be a huge milestone. Which might or might not be achieved at this point already, as an observer I cannot really tell exactly.

When the navigation works the 'sensible' choice would be to make sure that the mob spawns are balanced, that is nothing trivial.

After that you can go back to trap variety (and its own can of problems like the trap layer triggering its own rune traps).

Don't put the carriage in front of the horse :o

I think the trap layer is now working better. I have got an updated version running here that seems much more stable and more likely to complete a run through the dungeon. I'm also working on the mob balancing which I should have ready shortly.

Ha, maybe I did go too far :P It was just such a small part of the mod I didn't think anyone would care that much :) but, well I guess everyone here is because of SexLab so having that as a hard dependency isn't really an issue.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been running the mod since the very first version, specifically for the adult content. I'd say that's mostly why we're all here on this site, right?

The spirit traps were my favorite, which is why I was disappointed to hear about their best feature getting removed. Getting attacked by a ghost? Eh. Fucked by a ghost? Now we're talking.

Hi, I'm still having the -100000 value on some stats after dd traps...does it needs a new game start to fix?

Oooh...it shouldn't be happening any more, although I thought the reason it was happening was because I was setting the  strength of the spell too high. Maybe that wasn't the cause...I may have to add some code to try to force the original values.

I also have this one again. Sometimes I also get, together with this issue, a bug which makes the enemies to use Whirlwind Sprint when I hit them with a one-handed weapon. With this I mean that when an enemy is in front of me, facing me, and I hit him with one-handed weapon, he makes a lightning fast sprint forward and is then located behind me, facing away.

BTW is there a console command to fix the archery skill value? I tried the "player.restoreactorvalue archery 1000000" console command, but it seems that archery is not a valid option.

Go in console in 3rd person, click on your pc, use TAB to expand infos, move the mouse on the first voice on the left with te > character and press left upper case key on the keyboard. It should open another menu, that is a list of every stats of your pc. Scroll down this list going on the bottom arrow with mouse and hitting again the left upper case key. For every voice you find with a negative value, you need to use the console command you mentioned. Nb: I don't know if the correct value is 100.000 for all... I noticed that often I've 2 or more different values in 2 or more stats.

I also have this one again. Sometimes I also get, together with this issue, a bug which makes the enemies to use Whirlwind Sprint when I hit them with a one-handed weapon. With this I mean that when an enemy is in front of me, facing me, and I hit him with one-handed weapon, he makes a lightning fast sprint forward and is then located behind me, facing away.

BTW is there a console command to fix the archery skill value? I tried the "player.restoreactorvalue archery 1000000" console command, but it seems that archery is not a valid option.

I believe it's Marksman.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes5Mod:Actor_Value_Indices

I just finished Ranvieg's Fast, and found a few issues with TAP. I'm using v.88 by the way, with the default MCM settings. The trap layer still seems to be laying multiple traps at a single location. For example, there was a ledge with three burial urns on it. The trap layer added no less than three traps to each one; knapsacks, strongboxes, and coinpurses. Several of these were actually superimposed over the original urns, which makes them very easy to identify. Then down in Sild's deathtrap cage, there were two metal pressure plates floating on top of the water, and a beartrap on the floor under the water. I did have to reload after getting killed a few times (hey, I'm low level and Sild is pretty tough), so the trap layer might have been restarting with each reload.

Also on one of the traps I did trigger it slapped several DD items on me - which I was able to remove quickly since I had a key. But they left behind an effect that drained my stamina and magicka even after the device was removed. Of course maybe it's supposed to do that (some kind of lingering curse?).

I just finished Ranvieg's Fast, and found a few issues with TAP. I'm using v.88 by the way, with the default MCM settings. The trap layer still seems to be laying multiple traps at a single location. For example, there was a ledge with three burial urns on it. The trap layer added no less than three traps to each one; knapsacks, strongboxes, and coinpurses. Several of these were actually superimposed over the original urns, which makes them very easy to identify. Then down in Sild's deathtrap cage, there were two metal pressure plates floating on top of the water, and a beartrap on the floor under the water. I did have to reload after getting killed a few times (hey, I'm low level and Sild is pretty tough), so the trap layer might have been restarting with each reload.

Also on one of the traps I did trigger it slapped several DD items on me - which I was able to remove quickly since I had a key. But they left behind an effect that drained my stamina and magicka even after the device was removed. Of course maybe it's supposed to do that (some kind of lingering curse?).

The trap layer doesn't always get it right in terms of placement...I don't think it ever will as it is extremely difficult to spawn things with any real accuracy. Some traps have the ability to cluster with certain items so you could very well find multiple coin purses etc....this is perfectly by design, things spawning inside other things not so much :)

Unfortunately traps can get set in water. Bear traps seem to be ok as they have physics and will fall to the floor. The pressure plates don't and will just float....I might be able to fix that.

Yes, traps can lock several items on you. If you can remove them then curse will still be in effect which is a bit of a pain - but I might be able to do something about it.

The trap layer doesn't always get it right in terms of placement...I don't think it ever will as it is extremely difficult to spawn things with any real accuracy. Some traps have the ability to cluster with certain items so you could very well find multiple coin purses etc....this is perfectly by design, things spawning inside other things not so much :)

Unfortunately traps can get set in water. Bear traps seem to be ok as they have physics and will fall to the floor. The pressure plates don't and will just float....I might be able to fix that.

Yes, traps can lock several items on you. If you can remove them then curse will still be in effect which is a bit of a pain - but I might be able to do something about it.

After playing a bit longer I did see that the curse effects ended eventually. This lingering curse effect kind of makes sense, so maybe you don't need to change it.  By the way, when Devious Devices are applied, are they always cursed? Or am I just unlucky?

You might want to scale back the clustering effect though; I just did Silent Moons, and found a table with a strongbox, two apothecary satchels and a coin purse on it, and they were all superimposed on one another. Elsewhere in that dungeon I came across several other trapped items as well. To me it seems like a small dungeon like that really hadn't ought to have more than one or two trapped items, and maybe not have any at all.  Admittedly just my personal taste, but I like to have these events rare enough that you sort of forget to watch out for them - and then they get you by surprise.

You might want to scale back the clustering effect though; I just did Silent Moons, and found a table with a strongbox, two apothecary satchels and a coin purse on it, and they were all superimposed on one another. Elsewhere in that dungeon I came across several other trapped items as well. To me it seems like a small dungeon like that really hadn't ought to have more than one or two trapped items, and maybe not have any at all.  Admittedly just my personal taste, but I like to have these events rare enough that you sort of forget to watch out for them - and then they get you by surprise.

I have also noticed this and these trapped items are way too easy to spot. Is it possible to make this so that there would only be one big object, like satchel, potion or strong box, and the rest could then be smaller objects, like coins and gems?

After playing a bit longer I did see that the curse effects ended eventually. This lingering curse effect kind of makes sense, so maybe you don't need to change it.  By the way, when Devious Devices are applied, are they always cursed? Or am I just unlucky?

I have also noticed this and these trapped items are way too easy to spot. Is it possible to make this so that there would only be one big object, like satchel, potion or strong box, and the rest could then be smaller objects, like coins and gems?

It does need some balancing work. What is obvious is that static non-havok objects really don't work. At least with coin purses I can apply a physical force to make them fall somewhere naturally without clipping through stuff. Perhaps I will have to just scale it back to those kind of items so clothing, potions, coins, gems should work well and should be almost indistinguishable from the vanilla placed items. 

Actually....cursed clothing & armour and mimics from Devious Magic would fit in well here....I wonder if I can make enchanted clothing/armour that has a debuff. Oooh, the posibilites there! :)

It does need some balancing work. What is obvious is that static non-havok objects really don't work. At least with coin purses I can apply a physical force to make them fall somewhere naturally without clipping through stuff. Perhaps I will have to just scale it back to those kind of items so clothing, potions, coins, gems should work well and should be almost indistinguishable from the vanilla placed items. 

Actually....cursed clothing & armour and mimics from Devious Magic would fit in well here....I wonder if I can make enchanted clothing/armour that has a debuff. Oooh, the posibilites there! :)

Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! :) the complete merge of devious magic with Traps, pitfalls and Dangerous things

Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! :) the merge !

How about cursed spell books? When I play a mage character I always read all the spell books I found to learn new spells. A cursed spell book could have a usual name but instead of learning a new spell ...

I finally did an upgrade from .51 to .90hotfix. Everything was working well until I hit a coin bag that blew up at me. Now my "marksman" is at -8697 and 9 decimal places and my "attack damage mult" is -8757 and 9 decimals.

It also made the lantern I was wearing (chesko's wearable lanterns) disappear completely. Even gone from inventory.

Other than the fact I can no longer fight my way out of a wet paper sack, it seems to be working very well. :lol:

Hey, one issue I noticed, if the player gets locked in devious devices, is stripped naked, or is otherwise vulnerable, and Deviously Enslaved Continued is installed, the trap layer will approach the PC for slavery/rape.  This can be resolved by putting a ZaZ or DD collar on the trap layer, or partially resolved by changing the trap layer's relationship to the PC to friend or higher (although this can be overridden in the DEC MCM relationship approach settings).  There might be other ways to stop the layer from approaching, but I'm not sure.

So I just realized I have a problem with the 0.88 Version. Pretty much every Weapon I equip has a huge negative damage value which is related to this mod I think. I also got the skill level -123123123,123123 thing in the ui for Archery, Block and Two Handed. not for the One Handed skill but it still makes the weapons damage value negative. I also don't have any lingering curse effects on me, or at least they don't show up in the active magic effects tab. 

So I tried setting my skill values with setactorvalue but it did nothing for the damage values of the weapons or the skill value in the overview UI. The actual value of the skill is still there though and shows when you zoom in on a perk tree to learn a perk. 

Is this known? Is there any fix? If not what do you need to track it down? I don't think I can just upgrade to the 0.90 Version and everything will be fine? 

Help is greatly appreciated.