What's on your mind?

3 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

High grade sausage is the best! :P YUM

following back (and back) (and back more) OK I'm really hungry but I can't read minds and something tells me I'm missing all the innuendos.

Like, OK (being all transparent even though cryptic is cool) what the hell is FBI doing worrying about HRT?

Sausage=Ground pork, right?

Right?

My supermarket was full of guys who murmured I stared at the hotdogs too long (The prices confused me)

Prices went down and the guys quit, were fired or moved up to management.

I hate being talked about for all the wrong reasons:

I like sausage (the meat kind....o nevermind)

PS I always thought "Bimbo" brand wanted to be the brand you'd feed your kids, and (google says) Bimbo is "Baby" in Italian.

Plus babies are supposed to love toast.

It all made sense, until I came here.

I think (not that you asked) behemoths who want to change sex should shrink first, maybe invest heavily in plastic Surgery.

But (I tell myself) weight-gain might be a part of the side effects of therapy, although I'd never ask, it was on my mind.

Eyebrows. Makeup. Dress it up a little.

Christmas trees are just trees until you deck them out with shiny baubles.

(OK that's enough deep confessions for now)

I've been so busy with family issues, yard work, and such that I haven't been able to pay much attention to my cat. And he's an affection sponge, willing to just sit in my lap (or on my chest when I lie down) and let me gently scratch him and stroke him until he feels like he's had enough and goes away. Just this morning I woke up thirty minutes before I had to get up when he came and laid on me, leaning into the scratches and rubs and purring softly.

TL; DR This morning I spent half an hour stroking my pussy.

2 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I've been so busy with family issues, yard work, and such that I haven't been able to pay much attention to my cat. And he's an affection sponge, willing to just sit in my lap (or on my chest when I lie down) and let me gently scratch him and stroke him until he feels like he's had enough and goes away. Just this morning I woke up thirty minutes before I had to get up when he came and laid on me, leaning into the scratches and rubs and purring softly.

TL; DR This morning I spent half an hour stroking my pussy.

I wish I had a pussy to stroke... :( 

I'm wondering why so many humans build their houses from wood and plant by-products but make their disposable food receptacles out of plastics, metals and glass.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to have food containers be biodegradable while their biggest investments would be built to last?

1 hour ago, Alkpaz said:

Ever been inside a plastic container in the heat? 

Have you ever been inside of burning pile of wood and leaves? It would be bound to be far less pleasant.

Climate control and insulation would take care of the effects of the environmental effects of heat and cold as it does with homes made of any materials. 

Stone homes are downright cozy when properly carpeted and air conditioned.

8 minutes ago, Alkpaz said:

I don't know if steel is a good insulator, but most office buildings have steel supports and don't seem to use more or less energy than wood or stone. 

Stand in an all metal shed at upper 80° weather outside... steel has poor insulation.

The wooden trash-can would fester with bacteria, unless you coated it with some petro-chemical product.

Uhm, fibre-board or recycled wood would disintegrate.

Some things shouldn't be biodegradable.

Steel must be leeching the earth of precious resources, so

they make commercials about anthropomorphic plastic bottles wishing they could eventually be

a trash can or some plastic bench.

That commercial and the dog who takes up smoking-commercial (don't throw away butts) are stupid.

I think you all started talking about something else, so that is also on my mind, please continue.

But if we wanted really cool houses we'd invent flame-retardant plastic that didn't give off fumes, and use it for roofing and walls.

There's a cement church close by, a monument to concrete ugliness.

If it were plastic (just daydreaming) it could be brightly colored, shiny and bulletproof.

Just now, Alkpaz said:

The question would be, which would heat up faster, steel or plastic? 

Plastic heats and cools at a much lower temperature... but think about it, plastic warps in the sun and breaks when it gets to cold, plastic isn't good for long term. 

Regardless, steel by itself has no natural insulation and would absorb heat and cold.

3 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

I'm wondering why so many humans build their houses from wood and plant by-products but make their disposable food receptacles out of plastics, metals and glass.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to have food containers be biodegradable while their biggest investments would be built to last?

Trash cans and stuff are made out of plastic and metal because you need to keep things out of your bins and you need them to withstand the elements. Plastics and metals that aren't iron are waterproof and really good at locking in odors, whereas wood – even if coated – gets soaked and rots and is less effective at keeping in scents. It's really important that your trash isn't exposed to the elements because 1) it keeps it neatly in one place instead of it flying all over the place, 2) wet garbage smells like death, and 3) it prevents your home from being "visited" by vermin (flies, maggots, rats, stray cats, raccoons, opossums, goddamn bears, etc.). It may sound silly, but you really don't want to be cheap when it comes to your garbage cans. Durable plastic > biodegradable material. Now, if you were talking about garbage bags being biodegradable, then I might agree with you.

As for houses being made of wood, eh I'd say that depends a lot on where you live. In the U.S. (where I live), a lot of homes are made of wood frames, plaster, and thick cardboard. The reason why so many homes here are made of wood instead of bricks or concrete is because of a different reasons:

1. Using wood is cheaper than using bricks, especially due to labor costs related to masonry. Since it's a cheaper material, it costs less to build a home made of wood and the resulting home is less expensive than a brick house would've been. In a country with over 300 million people living in it, affordable housing is kind of a big deal. You can't really mass produce brick houses, at least not as efficiently.
  2. North America has a lot of trees. Not only that, but we have trees that are as tall as skyscrapers (e.g. coast redwoods and western hemlock trees), and you can buy really high quality wood (e.g. oak, cherry, maple) for a very low price. Plus, carpenters work faster and cheaper than masons do.
  3. It's easier to renovate a home made of wood than a home made of brick. This is mainly due to how easy it is to break plaster. There are certain walls in my home that I can punch a hole through and be completely unharmed, but I'd break my hand if I punched a brick wall. Less durable walls make things like adding new plumbing additions and electrical systems a lot easier. 
  4. Home owners who live in areas known for being struck by natural disasters are fully aware of the risks and have insurance in case shit hits the fan. I know this because the cities neighboring the one I live in are known hot spots for brush fires; as in, we can predict what time of year the hills will burst into flames. Thanks, low humidity, relentless heat waves, and high winds! It still sucks if a neighborhood burns down, but they're at least covered and it's relatively easy for a construction team to rebuild. It's not exactly ideal, but that's where we're at.

Now, while I do agree that a brick house would be more durable and last longer than a wooden one, I and I think most other Americans would pick the cheaper option. Actually, I wouldn't even buy a house because of how exorbitant the price of houses are in my state. $400,000+ for a small, single-story home in a safe neighborhood? No thanks, I'd rather live in my car lol.

Side note: I found an interesting article about low-cost homes made of reused plastic in Colombia to aid the housing crisis. They're not exactly the most attractive homes to look at, but it is an intriguing development, I'd say.

7 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Capitalism, dumbass

OK, Ok,

Long term sustainability of existing business models. If nothing ever rots away, who needs repairmen?

10 hours ago, porkybork said:

Trash cans and stuff are made out of plastic and metal because you need to keep things out of your bins and you need them to withstand the elements. Plastics and metals that aren't iron are waterproof and really good at locking in odors, whereas wood – even if coated – gets soaked and rots and is less effective at keeping in scents. It's really important that your trash isn't exposed to the elements because 1) it keeps it neatly in one place instead of it flying all over the place, 2) wet garbage smells like death, and 3) it prevents your home from being "visited" by vermin (flies, maggots, rats, stray cats, raccoons, opossums, goddamn bears, etc.). It may sound silly, but you really don't want to be cheap when it comes to your garbage cans. Durable plastic > biodegradable material. Now, if you were talking about garbage bags being biodegradable, then I might agree with you.

As for houses being made of wood, eh I'd say that depends a lot on where you live. In the U.S. (where I live), a lot of homes are made of wood frames, plaster, and thick cardboard. The reason why so many homes here are made of wood instead of bricks or concrete is because of a different reasons:

1. Using wood is cheaper than using bricks, especially due to labor costs related to masonry. Since it's a cheaper material, it costs less to build a home made of wood and the resulting home is less expensive than a brick house would've been. In a country with over 300 million people living in it, affordable housing is kind of a big deal. You can't really mass produce brick houses, at least not as efficiently.
  2. North America has a lot of trees. Not only that, but we have trees that are as tall as skyscrapers (e.g. coast redwoods and western hemlock trees), and you can buy really high quality wood (e.g. oak, cherry, maple) for a very low price. Plus, carpenters work faster and cheaper than masons do.
  3. It's easier to renovate a home made of wood than a home made of brick. This is mainly due to how easy it is to break plaster. There are certain walls in my home that I can punch a hole through and be completely unharmed, but I'd break my hand if I punched a brick wall. Less durable walls make things like adding new plumbing additions and electrical systems a lot easier. 
  4. Home owners who live in areas known for being struck by natural disasters are fully aware of the risks and have insurance in case shit hits the fan. I know this because the cities neighboring the one I live in are known hot spots for brush fires; as in, we can predict what time of year the hills will burst into flames. Thanks, low humidity, relentless heat waves, and high winds! It still sucks if a neighborhood burns down, but they're at least covered and it's relatively easy for a construction team to rebuild. It's not exactly ideal, but that's where we're at.

Now, while I do agree that a brick house would be more durable and last longer than a wooden one, I and I think most other Americans would pick the cheaper option. Actually, I wouldn't even buy a house because of how exorbitant the price of houses are in my state. $400,000+ for a small, single-story home in a safe neighborhood? No thanks, I'd rather live in my car lol.

Side note: I found an interesting article about low-cost homes made of reused plastic in Colombia to aid the housing crisis. They're not exactly the most attractive homes to look at, but it is an intriguing development, I'd say.

I wasn't saying that trash bins should be biodegradable, I was idly wondering why that bottles and can and the like should more often be made of biodegradable substances.

8 hours ago, Pork Type said:

Capitalism, dumbass

OK, Ok,

Long term sustainability of existing business models. If nothing ever rots away, who needs repairmen?

Sadly, that was the most obvious answer, not that I let it get in the way of my line of questioning. It always comes down to that, much as the reason why 'They don't build them like that anymore" is Planned Obsolescence.

If one let simple other people's business models answer all of our questions about business decisions, then all of our conversations would be very short. Why did they take that feature out of the sequel? It is cheaper to bug-fix a game with less features than it is to put in features that most players won't use anyway. Why add in micro-transactions into a single player game? Why would the publisher let other companies milk their whales dry first? So on and so forth.

5 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Sadly, that was the most obvious answer, not that I let it get in the way of my line of questioning. It always comes down to that, much as the reason why 'They don't build them like that anymore" is Planned Obsolescence.

If one let simple other people's business models answer all of our questions about business decisions, then all of our conversations would be very short. Why did they take that feature out of the sequel? It is cheaper to bug-fix a game with less features than it is to put in features that most players won't use anyway. Why add in micro-transactions into a single player game? Why would the publisher let other companies milk their whales dry first? So on and so forth.

And you are a bit too late.  Meet ......the idea man:

Spoiler

On 4/23/2019 at 8:07 PM, FauxFurry said:

yes,

However, people don't seem to do this anymore

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/g2606/most-impressive-ancient-builds/

5 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Impressive because Charlton Heston built them for real assholes like Yul Brynner. 

...mumble

and that's why we don't do that anymore (cost, no slaves or not enough slaves)

picture.jpg.39f2beb9ac7cdd7fb95aa70c59b882ff.jpg

Jeremiah Fink said it best (He sure could talk) that the world was built on the backs of slave labor.

Fink.jpg.cc08d2da77d9a909bb18da184658203a.jpg

Buildings are still made of stone..

there are a vast majority where I used to live that was made of stone. Not from slavery not from criminals built...

They are called brick buildings....

There are some skyscrapers (well not really doing a good job now with the steel ones being built afterwards) from the late 1800's~early 1900s that are HUGE! (10 plus stories) made entirely of stone(brick etc)

The cheaper materials are just that a profit motivation on the builders side, not to the benefit of the buyer.  (directly) long term benefit... that is.

2 hours ago, RitualClarity said:

Buildings are still made of stone..

there are a vast majority where I used to live that was made of stone. Not from slavery not from criminals built...

They are called brick buildings....

There are some skyscrapers (well not really doing a good job now with the steel ones being built afterwards) from the late 1800's~early 1900s that are HUGE! (10 plus stories) made entirely of stone(brick etc)

The cheaper materials are just that a profit motivation on the builders side, not to the benefit of the buyer.  (directly) long term benefit... that is.

We lived in projects too for a while.

I just looked up the project they portrayed in the show "good times"

It's called "cabrini green" and it was brick high-rises.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini–Green_Homes

There's an upscale neighborhood close by with a huge  very red very new brick complex.

I don't live there so I don't really know what it's used for, it looks like some huge hospital for the elderly but google says it's offices 

and residential-type units.

So....Thanks I guess, killed ten minutes researching brick buildings.

Meh, a well built log cabin will last a century. At least. Also there has been interest around here to build apartment buildings wholly of wood. Still the ones they are a building in the town's center are just made out of prefabricated elements. With a layer of bricks on the outside to make it seem like it's a brick house :classic_laugh:

On another matter...

You know, watching that Stratolaunch take-off video the other day, a huge flying machine designed to take rockets to 10km height so they can be launched into space, i started thinking maybe something like the Arsenal Bird isn't as impossible as it initially seems?

The previously biggest one, AN-225 is quite huge too. If only the guy who said that machine heavier than air can't fly would see these monsters :classic_laugh:

3 hours ago, ToJKa said:

The previously biggest one, AN-225 is quite huge too. If only the guy who said that machine heavier than air can't fly would see these monsters :classic_laugh:

As one Russian Aerospace Engineer said: " You can make anything fly once with enough rockets strapped it"    (though it may have been a German since that is what the ME-163 was)

6 hours ago, 2dk2c.2 said:

We lived in projects too for a while.

I just looked up the project they portrayed in the show "good times"

It's called "cabrini green" and it was brick high-rises.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini–Green_Homes

There's an upscale neighborhood close by with a huge  very red very new brick complex.

I don't live there so I don't really know what it's used for, it looks like some huge hospital for the elderly but google says it's offices 

and residential-type units.

So....Thanks I guess, killed ten minutes researching brick buildings.

yes there is that, but those buildings are brick over metal frame.

I was talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monadnock_Building

which is 100% brick and the largest brick building (tallest)

I'm really not liking this whole "us vs. them" mentality that is trending these days. Race, gender, class, sexuality, politics, age, and nationality. We focus too much on these things that people have no control over. What we should be focusing on is how we view each other as human beings. That is the ONE thing we all have in common. Let's start there and forget about the rest since those are more or less man made concepts. There is pros and cons to everything. The only way to have balance is to have both even if both are not necessarily positive or negative. The concept of Yin/Yang should be taught in schools...it really should. It applies to everything we see around us. 

Everyone wants to be heard, but bashing one side to get your view across only causes the other side to not care. I used to care, but it's getting harder and harder these days. 

3 hours ago, ISNAN said:

I'm really not liking this whole "us vs. them" mentality that is trending these days. Race, gender, class, sexuality, politics, age, and nationality. We focus too much on these things that people have no control over. What we should be focusing on is how we view each other as human beings. That is the ONE thing we all have in common. Let's start there and forget about the rest since those are more or less man made concepts. There is pros and cons to everything. The only way to have balance is to have both even if both are not necessarily positive or negative. The concept of Yin/Yang should be taught in schools...it really should. It applies to everything we see around us. 

Everyone wants to be heard, but bashing one side to get your view across only causes the other side to not care. I used to care, but it's getting harder and harder these days. 

Those in power, don't want you to start to think that way... that would mean you aren't distracted from each other and focused on a single goal. A goal that is counter to the "powers" goals...

The times in history that this occurred major social shifts happened.