A little warning to mod creators of non adult mods....

LordNecris

I am starting to see the financial situation for most people "anywhere" remind me of that horrible tom cruise remake of war of the worlds where people just went nuts after huddling together far away from the aliens after the invasion started. They were fighting each other over the van he left parked outside or something like that. Reading the comments of that link above just shows how mad people are about having to pay for more things than they did before. People will always resist authority and people will always resist higher prices. When things get bad enough most people just freak out and start rioting and it gets really bad after that.

We see this shit going on now but wait til later when things are worse to see how bad people get on steam and elsewhere.

Honestly if the SKSE team just helped us out we could fight back(yes im aware of the legal ramifications here)in my opinion they hold a lot of power but are not willing to do anything about it. This shit cannot come to pass and i hope people don't give up just because its a big company, i believe we can fight this. 

I've already done all i can and since i am just one human signing a petition and expressing my opinion is not enough because i am just one small pea in a big pie.

Message big youtubers, tweet at angry joe to speak out for us, alpha omega sin already has let EVERYBODY KNOW.

Keep arguing people keep yelling keep your voices heard tell your friends, i have told my friends and even though they don't buy games much they are still outraged by this, and remember by them monetizing this they are taking away one of only free options left in this world, some of the only free things i can think of now is youtube and high quality images that do not cost money. But how long will that last?!.

Edit - this is a statement from the team over at skywind!.

http://gyazo.com/3130356b624c9821462fc35725a98891

Seems like these guys are trying to make a stand to.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/7673

Yep thats right the guy who created Midas Magic mod added a ad pop up into his older version that asks people to but the mod every time they cast a spell.

The link didn't work for me sadly.  Possible the author took it down or steam or someone complained, etc.  Sad if it was steam/valve simply because they don't want it getting out there.  But whether or not it was them, I don't know.  

Either way, if that's true, that's just... sad and annoying.  The idea of ads now popping up randomly from mods whenever I play Skyrim already makes me feel frustrated and annoyed despite that not even being the case as of right now.  Internet itself is bad enough with ads and the like; please for the love of all things good and right, do not make my skyrim world like such.  -_-

EDIT: BAH... just looking at that screenshot... ARGH!!! 

Yep thats right the guy who created Midas Magic mod added a ad pop up into his older version that asks people to but the mod every time they cast a spell.

The link didn't work for me sadly.  Possible the author took it down or steam or someone complained, etc.  Sad if it was steam/valve simply because they don't want it getting out there.  But whether or not it was them, I don't know.  

Either way, if that's true, that's just... sad and annoying.  The idea of ads now popping up randomly from mods whenever I play Skyrim already makes me feel frustrated and annoyed despite that not even being the case as of right now.  Internet itself is bad enough with ads and the like; please for the love of all things good and right, do not make my skyrim world like such.  -_-

Said once faithful modders as they whisper sweet nothings in your ear...

b09dcf635a6bcfe353b14f03601753ccecb17a41

There is no point to pirating anything from steam workshop, just stop playing their games period. When most people don't give a dam about bugfesta games anymore, that 5 to 10% paying for this shit will start to shrink from peer pressure and other influences.

So looking at the Paid Items Under Review section on SWS I notice some "protest" mods under review...well, more smart-ass than protest but still...these include a mod that promises nothing, a performance mod that improves FPS by removing non game essentials like trees, rocks, grass, and  floors, and a mod that changes the Main Menu to say "Exploitation" which the mod maker has also posted at Nexus with permission for everyone to upload as a paid mod...and methinks perhaps there is a peaceful, perhaps Ghandi like way to put a stop to this that does not rely on death threats to modders who put mods up, and petitions that no one at Valvthesda will ever read.  

Payroll and benefits are almost always the top expense for large corporations, so hit them there.  For a mod to be under review, someone has to review it, someone who gets paid.  Therefore, put down your pitchforks and torches and harken to this peaceful scheme!  If everyone who signed the petition took a couple hours to open the CK, change a vanilla NPC name, upload to Steam as a paid mod say, 10 times, that would be a half a million mods that have to be checked, by a paid employee.  Just change Aela to "The Foxy Huntress", Belethor to "Sleazy Little Man" and Jarl Balgruff to, idk, "Jarl Gruff-Balls" and voila, instant mod. At first Valvthesda will say "Holy crap, this is actually working! Look at all the mods we have to review!" Soon the Board of Directors will say "How much overtime are we paying? How much has our attrition gone up as reviewers go insane looking through crap mods and quit?"

Victory! Unless, of course, the marketplace is so stupid they actually pay for our crap mods and Valvthesda laughs their sleazy way to the bank. That couldnt happen could it?

Crap...oh well, pitch forks and torches it is    

Said once faithful modders as they whisper sweet nothings in your ear...

b09dcf635a6bcfe353b14f03601753ccecb17a41

My response to them :P:

nuhno.gif

What an asshole. I used his Oblivion version and it was so buggy and the cause of so many problems and he never even cleaned his mod.

It is already too late as people are already buying these mods. It is here to stay and theree is nothing you can do to stop it. Welcome to the future.

My new motto and signature will be;

No Endorsements, No Permissions, No Donations. 100% absolutely free and fun :exclamation: 

What an asshole. I used his Oblivion version and it was so buggy and the cause of so many problems and he never even cleaned his mod.

It is already too late as people are already buying these mods. It is here to stay and theree is nothing you can do to stop it. Welcome to the future.

No Endorsements, No Permissions, No Donations. 100% absolutely free and fun :exclamation:

Don't give up because one idiot fucked up!.

What I find funny is that modders that "gave up" on their mods, heard that they could get money off of them, and suddenly rose from their graves and threw their mods up there.

Don't give up because one idiot fucked up!.

it is not one idiot any more... there are over 1000 mod Skyrim purchases already :(

What is sad to me is what may happen to future owners or people that turn to mods.  Yes, I know that Skyrim is pretty old by now and that there may not be many that are new to mods and the like.  But there will always be those few that decide to get the game because it goes on sale (like this weekend for instance on steam), and they or others that may decide to try out mods, get on steam workshop or wherever, see this new system, and then think "Oh.  This is the norm" when it didn't always used to be this way; when many of the mods that go up on sale may have been free once simply by signing up on nexus or whatever. 

It could totally cement this system more, and I only cringe at the thought of what would happen when the next fallout comes out or elder scrolls come out. 

I'm afraid this is really here to stay.

Yes, I believe modders should be able to get compensation for their work if they so choose. However, unless all the contributors can come to an agreement, than your work must truly be your own. I don't think mods should be behind a great pay wall either. Let people tip without throwing out DMCA requests and lawsuits. Just let the market decide on what is the best way to pay these folks for their efforts without trying to squeeze in on an additional revenue stream. Chances are many of the people here, on the nexus, and elsewhere would have never bought Skyrim if it were not for the low level of entry to the construction kit and mods. Put it behind a pay wall and people will find another game to mod/play. Unfortunately, you cannot even kindly ask for a tip as that is a legal grey area. Yet, the only way to make money is to go to the friendly Valve/Bethesda monopoly, bend over, and cough.

Also, just looking at the steam listings and all the top sellers are swords and armor. This is the very exact DLC bullshit I have promised to never purchase. That shadowscale set only supports male player characters, and the vanilla body to boot. It is also a one piece outfit. So, if I am to be required to pay for a third party modification, it better damn well be flawless. Modders already felt the community was entitled? Wait until money is involved.

Armor mods, for example, must support both male and female characters, have a world mesh, be obtainable in game outside of the console and be compatible with every body modification mod that I use if I am to pony up the cash to just try it. Yet, given Valve's terrible policy the modders can just release it and drop the project on a whim. Everyone already got their money. The user can then only rant in the comments and most likely get the banhammer. They are under no obligation to continue work on their mod once you buy it.

The current model also encourages pushing wave after wave of cosmetic gear down your throat. It's not that I don't like new loot, but once I start have to start paying for it, I don't download. Why make a mod like Interesting NPCs or Beyond Skyrim when Valve and Bethesda are laughing to the bank? You can also just forget about adult mods. These companies have standards, you know. Purtain standards dictate that mass murder is okay, as long as the murdered deserved it. Some side boob and a penis though? You can just forget about it.

The only modders who will flock to the workshop are the sharks looking to go chasing after whales. Yes, there very well may be some quality stuff on the market, but most of the items will be what sells and that'll be weapons, armor and cosmetics. Last I checked, Isoku's Hot and Cold just cracked one hundred downloads. Yet that dragonscale armor may just have more than one thousand subscribers by this time tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, most consumers have no issue with buying cosmetics. I've played enough games like TOR that have been ruined by in game stores to believe that this is true. If I am wrong, please prove it to me. I really hope I am, but this is just a terrible precedent. It's one, steep, slippery slope.

As a side note: I really, really hope the new Mount and Blade does not go down this path. I just found out about it and will have to do some digging as Warband used a steam install. Hopefully not everyone decides to go in with this madness.

let's all mod a little something to skyrim... the super-power-saya-mega-optimus-treestump-of-epic-shame... it does nothing, just blocks the way into whiterun...

only 500$ ! get one before it's too late! for only 50 extra you'll get the "stump-be-gone-axe" with increased CTD magic for free... yeah for free, it's amazing, crash to desktop as much as you like (batteries not included)

jesus christ, i can't believe what i saw.. paying for the stuff thats allready around, just for a single mod-update maybe? oh c'mon bugthesda you and valve could do better -.- if it will help to get HL3 or FO4 or TES6 sooner, that would be a ... not good idea... but at least something to reason, but nope, it won't be that way i guess :/  

i really fear the super-power mods for only 3,99 coming up, that only f*ck up my game, my saves and/or all toghether (like some... or a lot? of you allready said earlier)

wondering where all this will lead to... pay for login? pay to play?

-error: in order to play your free to play/bought game, you must pay 1,50 euro to play your game. please check your e-mail account for further details and payment optoins (steam-ca$h support only at this time!) from valve with love :wub:  -

don't know if this is even possible, but what about some good old "i hate you!" or "don't do it" e-mails ?

meanwhile *paalinnnng* ahhh good old gameboy!

Just gotta have this "More Immersive Sleeping Giant Inn" for the incredible price of only $79.99 and "Gaben's Deuce" for only $99.99 I just can't think of anything more I could ever want to spend money I don't have on. I do believe these are the "Protest" mods you speak of or at least close enough. Most of the shit in "mods under review" are just that "Shit".

now I guess all we have to wait for are the Steam DDoS's. 

Gaben is short for Gabe N, or Gabe Newell, co founder of Valve, and Deuce is a colloquialism for shit, so I am pretty sure that one is a "protest" and I am sure the "Exploitation" mod is as well by virtue of the creator posting it on Nexus for free and encouraging people to download it, and then re-upload it to Steam as their own paid mod. You are probably right about the rest though.  I still think flooding Steam with a half million or so crap mods could work...as long as the crap mods dont infringe on any of Valves restrictions they have to post them...people seeing the crap should say "Well this is crap" and not go back. The increase to Payroll and Benefits combined with people not paying for these crap mods could eliminate the return on investment, and this all goes away. in theory. In reality, as my post implied, there is no underestimating the stupidity of the marketplace and such a plan could backfire 

Archived