What really pisses you off? please no posts about nexus lol

1 hour ago, AKM said:

Having been a young firefighter/EMT, once upon a time, I can tell you that they do give training, perhaps not sufficient training, but the problem is often with the individual.  As I stated previously, FAR too many police officers get the 'Obey My Authorita' thing going to their heads, and turn on the "18 and bulletproof" switch in their brain.  I was there, and I know what it felt like to be the person doing good for the community.  It didn't last, but while it did, I took some really stupid chances that didn't matter for anyone but me.

As for the whole "this person has a family/is a family" statement, I'm sure you've seen the clip where these individuals have stated that they don't give shit about the families of anyone representing authority.  I remember clearly the old guys talking about what it was like to be a firefighter in the old days, when people respected others who took such risks.  Even when I was young, that sort of respect was pretty much non-existent anymore, to the point where it was notable when someone said something at all.  It's also one of the prime reasons I walked away from the EMT side.  I wanted to make a difference, and all I found was people who just didn't care.  I decided that my personal health was more important than helping people who couldn't care less if they tried.  Basically, it boiled down to people who'd made piss poor decisions earlier in their lives, and then felt that I was supposed to risk my health to help them. As I said, it didn't last long.

Not even a thank you? How bloody hard is it to say "thankyou" or even "thanks"? Police I can understand because they are too busy either out fighting crime or handing out speeding tickets but firefighters? What a weird ass world we live in.

Then there is the question are people worth saving? Lets just say I'm not the best person to ask. I wanted to be a hero once but then I realized it was not for me. Too many people. Too many problems. Definitely not for me.

21 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Not even a thank you? How bloody hard is it to say "thankyou" or even "thanks"? Police I can understand because they are too busy either out fighting crime or handing out speeding tickets but firefighters? What a weird ass world we live in.

Then there is the question are people worth saving? Lets just say I'm not the best person to ask. I wanted to be a hero once but then I realized it was not for me. Too many people. Too many problems. Definitely not for me.

Nope.  Not when I was working as an EMT.  But then, most of these people, this wasn't 911. They were the ones who'd made poor life choices (most of them), and were living a rather not so great life due to that.  The reason they needed an ambulance + equipment + trained medical professional was due to their condition.  Don't get me wrong, it's not a very pleasant condition to have, and really makes you feel rotten, but still.  It got old, fast, getting bitch, bitch, bitch from the over-wieght ones, especially when we simply didn't have the manpower to safely lift them.  Though even with 911, when I responded as "extra muscle" in firefighter form for a large individual, there wasn't much "Gee, thanks, guys".  On the other hand, more than once I had people apologizing left right and sideways for their CO alarm going off at ungodly:30 in the morning.  That I didn't mind at all.  As I kept telling those people "That's exactly what we're here for!"  But then, of course, there's the big country club whose automatic alarm went off every other weekend or so.  THAT got to the point where I quit caring, and if it was that place, I just turned my pager off and went back to bed.  That was the beginning of the end for me as a firefighter.  Once you stop caring, well, you're finished in that business whether it's paid or volunteer, doesn't matter. You MUST care.  The problem is, it's SO damned difficult to do so when those who you're supposed to care about make it blatantly obvious that they couldn't give to shits about YOU.  They could have fixed that system.  The people at the at place have money out the wazoo.  But not for inconveniencing the fire department.  And fines?  They don't care about fines, either.  Fines are pocket change to them.

Are there people who aren't worth saving?  Definitely.  Fortunately or unfortunately, that's not our place to determine.  Someone needs help, you have the training and tools to help, you do so, period, end of sentence. 

See, the whole hero thing.  Honestly, that's why most anyone gets into it, at least initially.  The problem is, you wind up discovering several things along the way. 

First and foremost: The world's a shitty place, and shitty things happen to good people, and shitty people sometimes get off scott-free, and remain shitty people.  As a friend of mine who became a police officer told me "My god people are stupid!"  Yeah.  And?  This is not news!  I think it opened his eyes to some of the crap I saw as an EMT when he tried to get a reaction out of me telling me about a call he got for a drugged up 9 year old (or something like that).  My response was less than shocked.  You have to remember, I spent my time seeing that stuff.  I believe it.  I've seen similar.  It was then that he started to understand, I think.  Sometimes, you can only do that for so long, be around that stuff.  Eventually, enough is enough, and you have to walk away.

Secondly, politics is EVERYWHERE!  You think that fire department is about providing a critical service (or several) to the community?  Think again!  It's all about personal fiefdoms.  MY piece of the pie!  MY ego!  Etc. and so on.  That shit gets very old, very fast.  If you're a volunteer, as I was, and you're not getting paid good money to put up with that shit, well, you don't last, as I didn't.  I miss the calls, the trucks, the camaraderie.  ...Or not.  I distinctly remember during the heaviest snowstorm we'd had in years, the chief was the ONLY person out helping me shovel snow.  Amazing.

I don't miss the pissing contests, the fiefdoms and the backstabbing.  Or the lack of a decent sleep schedule!

So, no, it matters not a whit what you help with, there will always be more problems.  Thing is, you WILL make a difference to one person, or several.  I've had that happen more than once in my life, not always in the emergency response sector.  Did I waste my time?  Sometimes, given the ultimate outcome, I think I did.  Others, I think that, hey, at least I made life better for that person while it lasted.  So who knows what the answer is.  Usually, as you stated, I think it's a personal question and a personal answer.

A normal traffic stop that turns into an arrest due to a person being stupid.  Fuck around and find out.  Welp, she found out.  I understand being mad if the car marked as stolen was a mistake, but the level of abuse that this idiot leveled at officers was insane.  That they put up with that abuse and tried to deescalate the situation over and over and over.  Hats off to all of those officers.  

What I truly don't understand is where this sense of insanity to act this way comes from?  It wasn't just the dumb bitch either.  Folks in the crowd acted like fools as well.  Screaming profanity at cops who are just trying to do their job is off the rocker dumb.  If you had two brain cells to rub together you'd know this wasn't going to end well.   I'm willing to bet there was something hinky with the bitch or the car (or both).  Normal, intelligent people don't act this way.  

I was pulled over once in a similar situation and 15 minutes of calm talking and allowing the police to do their job and I was apologized to and was on my way.  I have several friends this happened to as well with the exact same outcome.  Very sad.  Very sad.

19 hours ago, gregathit said:

A normal traffic stop that turns into an arrest due to a person being stupid.  Fuck around and find out.  Welp, she found out.  I understand being mad if the car marked as stolen was a mistake, but the level of abuse that this idiot leveled at officers was insane.  That they put up with that abuse and tried to deescalate the situation over and over and over.  Hats off to all of those officers.  

What I truly don't understand is where this sense of insanity to act this way comes from?  It wasn't just the dumb bitch either.  Folks in the crowd acted like fools as well.  Screaming profanity at cops who are just trying to do their job is off the rocker dumb.  If you had two brain cells to rub together you'd know this wasn't going to end well.   I'm willing to bet there was something hinky with the bitch or the car (or both).  Normal, intelligent people don't act this way.  

I was pulled over once in a similar situation and 15 minutes of calm talking and allowing the police to do their job and I was apologized to and was on my way.  I have several friends this happened to as well with the exact same outcome.  Very sad.  Very sad.

I was pulled over when I was much younger... It was a case of mistaken identity... the officer came up to the car with his gun drawn... At the time I had a common cheap car... problem was .. many others have that exact car so there was cases where this would happen. Once the officer saw me... he realized I wasn't a 50 year old man (I was 20 at the time) and there was no way I was the person they were looking for. He put the gun away, he still did a check on my car to verify that I was the owner and not using the car that was part of a crime. He felt bad that he pulled the gun out on me.  He stated what happened right away and stated what he needed to do .. didn't even take my drivers license, just the car documentation. about 2~5 minutes longer than a normal stop and I was free to go.

The general population doesn't seem to understand what is their rights and what isn't. What they are suppose to do and what they aren't. They have a level of entitlement that is absolutely unbelievable. that is the reason they (those in the film ) acted as badly as they did. What they should have done.. is just record the incident as needed for evidence if something goes wrong. Stay there to make sure the cop didn't do something bad. That I can understand. .. what happened I can't.

On 9/24/2020 at 12:43 AM, DoctaSax said:

Then again, they don't use the phrase 'autistic retards', so they've got that going for them.

Oh, that was meant as autistic's are retarded.  I thought it meant they, the lefties, were hyper sensitive AND retarded.  Ya, that's not cool.

I don't know how I feel about this.  I just laughed when I heard what our (US) government has done.  Many of you suburbanites and city dwellers may not realize  that we, in rural America do not have access to high speed internet.  We basically have DSL service.  And we live right outside of town.  High speed internet service literally stops at the end of street.  So close, and yet so far.   People living WAY out in sticks have to rely on satellite, if they don't live in a dead zone, the way we do.

So, I just heard as part of the stimulus this year, 16 billion dollars was handed to companies to run fiber optic lines to rural areas.  That's great!  Right?  However, there was no accountability system set up.  16 billion dollars was just given away and no one knows if anyone received high speed internet or not.  Uhh.. hmm.  We need to re-think who is eligible to run for public office.   Seriously, we do. 

When Obama ran for his first term is when I actually started paying attention to politics.  I wish I never had.  Some of the most blatantly and utterly stupid things they were trying to pull crashed my brain.  Sorry, can't cite any of them.... repressed memories.  It made so angry, I had to repress them.  I also had to stop watching the news for a few years.  My blood pressure would have been the death of me.

The good news is that the government is going to try it again, starting next month, only this time they will have an accountability system in place.

16 hours ago, cailic said:

I thought it meant they, the lefties, were hyper sensitive AND retarded.  

That's how it was meant. People with actual disabilities have a valid excuse for spazzing as such, the left may or may not actually be retarded... if the individual is not, then there's no excuse for their behavior, and if they are, then all the more reason not to take them seriously on a national political level.

13 hours ago, cailic said:

I don't know how I feel about this.  I just laughed when I heard what our (US) government has done.  Many of you suburbanites and city dwellers may not realize  that we, in rural America do not have access to high speed internet.  We basically have DSL service.  And we live right outside of town.  High speed internet service literally stops at the end of street.  So close, and yet so far.   People living WAY out in sticks have to rely on satellite, if they don't live in a dead zone, the way we do.

So, I just heard as part of the stimulus this year, 16 billion dollars was handed to companies to run fiber optic lines to rural areas.  That's great!  Right?  However, there was no accountability system set up.  16 billion dollars was just given away and no one knows if anyone received high speed internet or not.  Uhh.. hmm.  We need to re-think who is eligible to run for public office.   Seriously, we do. 

When Obama ran for his first term is when I actually started paying attention to politics.  I wish I never had.  Some of the most blatantly and utterly stupid things they were trying to pull crashed my brain.  Sorry, can't cite any of them.... repressed memories.  It made so angry, I had to repress them.  I also had to stop watching the news for a few years.  My blood pressure would have been the death of me.

The good news is that the government is going to try it again, starting next month, only this time they will have an accountability system in place.

Hey, remember the ObamaCare website?

$1.7 Billion.

For a goddamned website.

Money well fucking spent /s.

1 hour ago, GimmeBACON said:

That's how it was meant. People with actual disabilities have a valid excuse for spazzing as such, the left may or may not actually be retarded... if the individual is not, then there's no excuse for their behavior, and if they are, then all the more reason not to take them seriously on a national political level.

If government was run by functioning autists, there wouldn't be this eternal stalemate due to tribe mentality. No gladhanding, just a focus on the problems at hand.

Yeah, I take issue with using autism as an generic insult to call people stupid, spazzos, or whatever else it's supposed to mean. That's just being a jerk.

37 minutes ago, DoctaSax said:

If government was run by functioning autists, there wouldn't be this eternal stalemate due to tribe mentality. No gladhanding, just a focus on the problems at hand.

Yeah, I take issue with using autism as an generic insult to call people stupid, spazzos, or whatever else it's supposed to mean. That's just being a jerk.

Wasn't talking about the government, I was talking about the screeching lunatics banshee screaming online that one half of the political system is manipulating. Psychologists have termed the phrase "Trump Anxiety Disorder" implying there may be something there.

Is it rude? Yes... do I care? Not really. 

51 minutes ago, GimmeBACON said:

Wasn't talking about the government, I was talking about the screeching lunatics banshee screaming online that one half of the political system is manipulating.

Which doesn't change the fact you call that being autistic, which is being a jerk to autists.

24 minutes ago, DoctaSax said:

Which doesn't change the fact you call that being autistic, which is being a jerk to autists.

I could not agree more.  If I was autistic and these crazies were lumped in with me I'd be pissed.  Those screeching crazies need their own looney label.

4 hours ago, DoctaSax said:

I was just trying to imagine the government run by, what do you call them?   High functioning Autistics.  Each would, of course, have their niche.  I think this nations financial problems would be a thing of the past.  Not sure how foreign affairs would work out.  Social issues aside, I think this country would run like a well oiled machine.

I also believe that the Federal gov should be like a machine.  It's job is to protect us from foreign antagonists and to protect our constitutional rights.  There shouldn't be any moral issues coming down from DC.  The moral issues were supposed to be for local governments to decide upon.  This way you could live in a state that best suites your beliefs.  GO SKYNET!

Anyone see "The Accountant"?  That is one of my favorite movies.  It should have won that big ass award they give, (Oscar?)  but they favored a politically correct show over genuine quality.  In case you haven't guessed, I'm not into award shows.

8 minutes ago, gregathit said:

JP Sears is one of my favorite satirical youtubers.  Has been for a while now.  ?

He has just the right blend of wit and dry humor to make me laugh.

He was brought to my attention from "another site" and made me laugh. Then I watched some of his content and thought about this thread and the conversations going on.. lol

7 hours ago, cailic said:

I was just trying to imagine the government run by, what do you call them?   High functioning Autistics.  Each would, of course, have their niche.  I think this nations financial problems would be a thing of the past.  Not sure how foreign affairs would work out.  Social issues aside, I think this country would run like a well oiled machine.

Apex Aristocratic Autistic Assemblage/Alliance, perhaps (just to give it a pithy A-4 designation)?

1 hour ago, Canaris said:

Its called Trump Derangment Syndrome. Very serious affliction, very hard to cure and very dangerous for the afflicted and his family.

Yeah that's the term coined by the right and moderates... but I can't imagine therapists referring to a persons issues as "derangement"; it'd probably cut the conversation short.

1 hour ago, GimmeBACON said:

Yeah that's the term coined by the right and moderates... but I can't imagine therapists referring to a persons issues as "derangement"; it'd probably cut the conversation short.

I think the medical term is political overload. The right and the left are always going at each other and it isn't good for grandmaw's heart.

Also I'm pretty sure nobody expected Nixon to run for office again. I mean nobody is talking about Obama's golf game anymore which is kind of a bummer but then again I'm pretty sure Trump is practicing for a golf championship. So it seems nobody likes Trump. Then again nobody liked Obama either. OBAMA! OBAMA! WAH! OBAMA! Shutup Jimmy! Nobody likes you.

The question is... What would I do without stupid people?