FO3 was my first fallout too - I still hope to get back to it, albeit under TTW. There's just something about the overall atmos, the world in tatters, that appeals to me more. But of course I can't do without FNV's new gameplay elements and a more mature script extender.

Yes, the main storyline undeniably sets you on just the one path - and the sales pitch that you can side with whoever is a plain lie. But, to be fair to Beth, Obsidian isn't all that hot either. I've been wrecking my brain this past week trying to circumvent a bunch of piss-poor decisions by them in the esm structures. There's a bunch of quests where whatever you do is either bugged or inconsequential, the way they went about the faction rep & faction clothing system is ridiculous, and their world-building isn't at all impressive either. Quality writing - meh, I don't see a huge difference there, the hoover dam battle could've been an actual battle, and the characters aren't more (or less) interesting. To be sure, getting that last part right is no walk in the park with this engine, but when I look at FO1/FO2 dialog in the fallout wiki there's nothing there that makes me go "wow" either, and I suspect a lot of the anti-FO3 sentiment's based on nostalgia. FNV sometimes just feels like an FO3 mod. A big one, of course, a very good one, but not a full game. This is all the more apparent if you spend some time in the geck. With GeckPU on, it just spits errors at you for a bunch of FO3 resources still being referenced but no longer being there - because cleaning that shit out was obviously too hard - and I fully suspect obsidian of turning off the error messaging system just so that people wouldn't notice their fails quite so much.

So let's split it down the middle, and say let Obsidian write story but leave world-building, scripting and putting it all in-game to Beth. That way we can bury the neverending discussion about which game studio's better and make it about both being crap compared to how awesome modders are ;)

Anyway, here's what I'm going to do about any future Bethesda/Zenimax game, if I see a Sex<insert game title> of them on LL accompanied by a significant amount of mods, then I'm going to buy them, otherwise fuck'em.

True, so true.  I only hope that they fix whatever it was that made it such a pain to add animations to the game. If not I doubt Sexout will be ported by Pride to the new Fallout 4. That will put a damper on the sex options for awhile.

LL has a serious selling power. If LL mods it, a hell of a lot of people will buy it.  :) I get the feeling Fallout 4 is on the 'reserved' list here.  ;) I will be buying the crap out of that game, and I expect to see you all out there on the battlefield. B)

I fully agree with RC. That anim problem needs to go.

The morse code has changed to "calling any station, calling any station, this is Oscar Zulu, come in."

This won't have anything to do with Interplay's V13 project.  Bethesda bought the rights to the entire Fallout franchise in a really weird legal battle they should have lost; on the cusp of the court ruling in Interplay's favor, Bethesda settled out of court with them for $5 million in exchange for full rights to Fallout.  Interplay is continuing to make the game as a non-Fallout property.

Guest carywinton

I'm predicting late 2014, Bethesda typically announces their games a year in advance.

This is being too hopeful.

Remember Fallout 3 was officially announced on July 10, 2004. 

The game came out on October 28, 2008. 

Although I don't think it will take 4+ years but I feel like it's gonna be around at least 2. BUT I hope I am wrong.

I'm not sure in my experience the accounting structures in modern companies can even handle a project lasting more than 12 months nowdays, if they approve it this year they want a return on it next year.

Tthe last company I worked for expects $1m engineering projects to be done for $500k and completed 6 months from approval then wonders why every project ends up half arsed :P

Ah finally someone who actually knows how the Entertainment Industry , in particular "Game Development" Industry works. You are correct on how the "Production and Promotion" staff set time lines, people with the money backing the project dictate the time line.

Guest carywinton

FO3 was my first fallout too - I still hope to get back to it, albeit under TTW. There's just something about the overall atmos, the world in tatters, that appeals to me more. But of course I can't do without FNV's new gameplay elements and a more mature script extender.

Yes, the main storyline undeniably sets you on just the one path - and the sales pitch that you can side with whoever is a plain lie. But, to be fair to Beth, Obsidian isn't all that hot either. I've been wrecking my brain this past week trying to circumvent a bunch of piss-poor decisions by them in the esm structures. There's a bunch of quests where whatever you do is either bugged or inconsequential, the way they went about the faction rep & faction clothing system is ridiculous, and their world-building isn't at all impressive either. Quality writing - meh, I don't see a huge difference there, the hoover dam battle could've been an actual battle, and the characters aren't more (or less) interesting. To be sure, getting that last part right is no walk in the park with this engine, but when I look at FO1/FO2 dialog in the fallout wiki there's nothing there that makes me go "wow" either, and I suspect a lot of the anti-FO3 sentiment's based on nostalgia. FNV sometimes just feels like an FO3 mod. A big one, of course, a very good one, but not a full game. This is all the more apparent if you spend some time in the geck. With GeckPU on, it just spits errors at you for a bunch of FO3 resources still being referenced but no longer being there - because cleaning that shit out was obviously too hard - and I fully suspect obsidian of turning off the error messaging system just so that people wouldn't notice their fails quite so much.

So let's split it down the middle, and say let Obsidian write story but leave world-building, scripting and putting it all in-game to Beth. That way we can bury the neverending discussion about which game studio's better and make it about both being crap compared to how awesome modders are ;)

If you reference some earlier works of Obsidian, namely KOTOR 2 verse KOTOR, you will note a much "darker" writing and setting, this is the style of Obsidian, not really my particular favorite, but I am sure many like this style more. BethSoft has always had a style of writing, for better or worse that left the player feeling better about their choices and feeling more like they accomplished something in the end, this is of course just my point of view, from a "goodie two shoes with pervy tendencies", lol :P

I don't care until an official announcement is made. Because all the speculation and hype is something that bothers me deeply.

I couldn't agree more

It would be hilarious (and depressing) if that site was for a different game Bethesda was working on or if it was an Fallout MMO

I hope we get what we asked for.

VT137 - Vault 137 ?

7042299 - July 4th 2299 I'd guess.

V119BST - [shrug] though BST is British Summer Time :P

EDIT: The front page now has the following:

ZL QRNE FVFGRE. V'Z URNQVAT GB GUR VAFGVGHGR. TBQ XABJF JUNG UNCCRARQ GB GUVF CYNPR ABJ. GUVF BYQ ONFGNEQ JVYY URYC HF. UR ZHFG URYC HF. --0321--

which I've decoded to:

My dear sister. I'm heading to the Institute. God knows what happened to this place now. This old bastard will help us. He must help us. --0321--

Fallout 4 will probably be far more akin to a game like RAGE, rather than FO3 or FONV.

But then, RAGE was just a slight variation on the same theme, anyways. Certainly looked as if the same artist's sketchbooks were used for design.

(sorta simpler with all of the scenery glued together, nothing to interact with except for the blinking doors, blinking ammo, blinking weapons, blinking....you get the idea. All of the shooters  /rpg-shooters have headed this way....and those are kinda mod-unfriendly too.)

No matter what form it takes, not everyone can possibly be happy with it. 

Aren't there still players out there who think the franchise should have stayed as turn based side-scrollers? (Might as well use 2D10 and a pen with your new XBox One.)

VT137 - Vault 137 ?

7042299 - July 4th 2299 I'd guess.

V119BST - [shrug] though BST is British Summer Time :P

EDIT: The front page now has the following:

ZL QRNE FVFGRE. V'Z URNQVAT GB GUR VAFGVGHGR. TBQ XABJF JUNG UNCCRARQ GB GUVF CYNPR ABJ. GUVF BYQ ONFGNEQ JVYY URYC HF. UR ZHFG URYC HF. --0321--

which I've decoded to:

My dear sister. I'm heading to the Institute. God knows what happened to this place now. This old bastard will help us. He must help us. --0321--

Some of the Morse code also says calling all stations calling all stations, then oscar zulu.

Fallout 3 anyone? is the survivor the missing child?

Kinda beth being weird with their execisve use of Morse codes lol.

BethSoft has always had a style of writing, for better or worse that left the player feeling better about their choices and feeling more like they accomplished something in the end, this is of course just my point of view, from a "goodie two shoes with pervy tendencies", lol :P

You haven't played Skyrim and finished the main quest then, as that alone makes me think completely the opposite way.

Just the main quest? I'd argue that damn near all of Skyrim causes you to notice the shallow water you're treading. Bunch of the dynamic NPCs disable themselves, for example. That farmer who's on his way to Solitude to join the legion? As soon as you're gone from him, he ain't ever going to reach Solitude. Or that the dragons are back, and nobody cares; business as normal. Or that you're a thane, and the guards will only let you off the hook once; even if it's for a 40-septim bounty. Or that you get married, and the NPC that you're betrothed to will only say an extra five lines of dialogue.

Etc etc. Only way I feel that I have made an impact on the game, is when it's chock full with around 100 mods, opening up different options and possibilities that were never there before. Vanilla Skyrim's a sandbox with a spoon for a spade, and a polystyrene cup for a bucket.

Fallout 4 teaser is here http://thesurvivor2299.com/

18 days?

Going to release it for this Xmas? Seems unlikely...................

Or maybe it's just like all the hype we get now days 18 days before an announcement about an announcement on when a beta starts in 3 years time :P

If it takes 3-4 years hmm I could be married by than and have kids lol. Lots  could happen while waiting for it

Archived