@ Ms Leeches;  ask some of the women, they will tell you, " being a woman is hard...treated like cattle (should have been chattel).  Chattel is property, also slavery, not leaders. Women, normally, are the gathers, healers, cooks, tenders etc.  not warriors - again, normally.  The nord men of Skyrim would never follow a woman into battle (yes, I know there are exceptions in lore, but exceptions do not make the norm, never).  Bethesda added the "women warriors" as an appeasement for OUR sensitive, liberal idiotic society*.  

*idiotic is my interpretation from experience

I'm a Reasonable Feminist™ so my nonsense sense usually tingles when I notice signs of male chauvinism ^^ And from what I know about the TES setting: equality there is actually the norm, inequalities are exceptions.

NPCs in Morrowind didn't make any issue of women being guards and leaders for House Redoran (who were the warriorest warriors ever), scouts and hunters among Ashlanders, Morag Tong assassins and were hugely represented in other Houses, fighters and mages guild, both temples and even imperial legion. Samish with Oblivion.

I think Skyrim is actually the first game where it's even been brought up. But only by like a few NPCs and even then they only talk about the men trying to be all intimidating and stuffs but everyone knows it's only to stroke their pride and there aren't any laws or traditions in place that oppress women. If there were I would be really upset with that direction because nothing like this was a problem in previous games so suddenly adding real male chauvinism to Tamriel would be a weeeeeeird lore retcon that would need a convincing justification to exist.

Well, going to side with Ms Leeches on gender equality in the Elder Scrolls in general - I recognize the quote JahReit mentioned, but I can only recall it being said by one NPC, in Whiterun (though granted I haven't gone out looking specifically for similar quotes - haven't noticed any mention of "men trying to be intimidating, etc." like Ms Leeches mentions), and so I'd be more inclined to label it the exception rather than the rule. 

Separately, though, and the reason I'm posting in this thread to begin with - would fist mitts make sense as an alternative to the armbinder? You could have them disable most if not all of the same functionality (ideally you - or an NPC - would still be able to punch things with them on if need be, but no spells or weapons; I don't know how feasible that would be to implement though), but not have the same missing-hands animation issues. 

Lore is like the pirate code, its more a set of guidelines than actual rules :)

As to equality i would have thought it would be more of a split between commoner/nobility or warrior/non-warrior than male/female myself since a female noble can look down there nose just as well as male noble and a female warrior can crack open your head with a two handed sword just as well as a male warrior

haven't noticed any mention of "men trying to be intimidating, etc." like Ms Leeches mentions), 

I don't remember it exactly eithar, i think it was either Aela's or Olfina's comment. i think Nazeem's wife is the one who talks about being treated like cattle but she's Nazeem's wife soooo... ^^ If I was Nazeem's wife I'd be a widow in like record time.

Well I hope everyone is doing what I am, "just for argument sake".  The reality is simple, mine your's, everyone's ideas and justification for lore/non-lore are like truths, ideology and convictions - all relative.  And in truth, I like to hackle people just to make them think :P

I will say this, I can argue either side, but from extensive RL experience I am a realist or chauvinist, whichever you prefer.

"Lore friendly" means things that don't obviously contradict the existing lore and are justifiable within its established boundaries. By this definition lots of things are lore friendly with minimum justification: dwemer trains, talking swords that turn people into vampires, potions that make you grow wings, skimpy armours made from spriggan parts or rubber growing on trees (it does on Earth! ^^)

People often say things are or aren't "lore friendly" buuuuuut i think lots of them don't know what they're talking about and just make that term mean whatever they want it to mean. TES games themselves have contradicted or retconned previously established lore to make their plots work so even developers are less stringent about it than some fans. I think TES world is amazing exactly because so few things in it are clearly defined so developers and modders can come up with their own interpretations of things to justify adding fun stuffs. Liiiiiike Devious Devices! Are they part of established TES lore? Nuuuuuh. Could they be? Why not! ^^

As others have said, well said.

It reinforces what I said before, whatever it's called, it's not "lore friendly" until it's in general use. We just don't see a latex-like material in the core game, whatever it's origin. But, that does mean we can make almost anything "lore friendly" with enough mod support.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)

Also, any plans for an open-crotch harness variant? I love that thing, but I love the idea of being locked into one that doesn't also block penetration.

Question time guys:

One thing that keeps cropping up here is whole "yeah but, latex sounds so modern, i don't think it would fit in to Skyrim's world" issue. Well, as PubliusNV correctly pointed out a few posts up, this issue has been raised before with the Inflatable-plugs, and the workaround employed was to say "Ok, it's not Latex, it's an alchemicly transmuted material made from spidersilk, nirnroot-sap and chaurus-bile".

If it'll help people, and i suspect it will to some degree atleast, then i see no reason why these shiny items coulden't be made from the same stuff (or something similar), just so that it doesen't have the modern-sounding word "Latex" attached to it, but gets to have some made-up name that one can reason could fit into the lore of the game (magic is common in this world, why coulden't magic and alchemy create a shiny material?).

So here's the question: What in the blazes do i actually call it!? I need some name to attach to it, so what's this material going to be named?

I'm keen on any suggestions, although, try to keep in mind that Skyrim's UI can only fit so many letters in there before things become unreadable, so let's try avoiding giant strings of words like "Alchemicly infused leather", because then then the item names would become silly things like "Alchemicly infused leather gag (ball) (harness)", and that's not going to fit well in the UI at all..

Hagskin

As flayed from the corpse, and tanned and treated by the very very best of Skyrim's craftspeople, using their own secret black impregnation polish extracted from Chaurus Reapers

I have an issue... Armbinders don't work as they should for me. When one is put on, it just sits there on the back, while the arms are still free. The arms have no hands, but the arms are not in the armbinder. I tried both CBBE and UNPB bodies with same result. I have all requirements, and there is no reason for this to happen. 

I have an issue... Armbinders don't work as they should for me. When one is put on, it just sits there on the back, while the arms are still free. The arms have no hands, but the arms are not in the armbinder. I tried both CBBE and UNPB bodies with same result. I have all requirements, and there is no reason for this to happen. 

Most likely cause: One of the requirements are out of date, and needs to be updated to the latest version.

You'll want to go through the Req's and see that they are all current.

SKSE

FNIS

SL

ZAZ-AP

Aroused

Assets

Integration

And of course, don't forget to run FNIS before use ;)

I have all of that, and it's up to date. I just started using Devious mods yesterday. Everything is in correct load order, mods cleaned, proper merged patch, correct skeleton, FNIS run properly, everything works perfectly except the armbinder :(

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I do seem to be missing some animations. Nothing happens in some situations when there obviously should be. I DO have up-to-date ZAZ, and FNIS, and I did run FNIS, but still missing some anims...

That's what happens when the armbinder is equipped but the animation doesn't play correctly. Have you tried jumping to see if you get into the animation after you land?

That's what happens when the armbinder is equipped but the animation doesn't play correctly. Have you tried jumping to see if you get into the animation after you land?

When wearing the armbinder, jumping is disabled.

I have all of that, and it's up to date. I just started using Devious mods yesterday. Everything is in correct load order, mods cleaned, proper merged patch, correct skeleton, FNIS run properly, everything works perfectly except the armbinder :(

Did you add the Armbinder via console command per chance? If so, you might be using the wrong version.

There's the one from Assets, and the one from Integration, you'll want the one from Integration as that's the one that has all the scripts attached. Make sure the first two digits of the item-code correlates to Integrations placement in your load-order if you add it via console.

Failing this, you might have a FNIS problem? Something you've installed is causing errors with FNIS and it's causing other things to get messed up aswell? Check your FNIS log and see if anything in there is spitting out errors when it's run.

There's no FNIS errors/warnings, and no I didn't add armbinder myself, I "earned" it in several situations such as submitting to bandits, or pissing off the Master of Captured Dreams shop. The armbinder animation itself is broken/missing

When wearing the armbinder, jumping is disabled.

Try hitting the space bar to advance animations, make sure all your animations are registered from the required mods, check SL to see if all animations are requistered, if not try restarting animations in SL and re-register animations.

There's no FNIS errors/warnings, and no I didn't add armbinder myself, I "earned" it in several situations such as submitting to bandits, or pissing off the Master of Captured Dreams shop. The armbinder animation itself is broken/missing

Welp, only two things left to try then i suppose:

1) Try reinstalling Assets and Integration, maybe something got screwed up (and run FNIS again just to be safe).

2) If the above doesen't work, get a papyrus log of you equipping it and upload it here, maybe that could show a problem.

Amazingly enough, I was so frustrated that I overlooked the FNIS OUT OF DATE warning. Feel free to humble me for it. All animations are working as they should now, armbinder included  :blush:

Thanks for the help!